• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

TheExodu5

Banned
Tip, to free up some keyboard keys.

Set the heart to ` (tilde), and Blink to Tab. Since you'll want to be using both often, they'll both be within reach and won't clutter up your number keys.

Tip, to free up some keyboard keys.

Set the heart to ` (tilde), and Blink to Tab. Since you'll want to be using both often, they'll both be within reach and won't clutter up your number keys.

Good tip.

I set the journall to tab as I use it all the time. Didn't think about setting heart to tilde though.

KorrZ

I was going to try and play this game pure stealth and non-lethal but god damn they make it too fun to kill everything in sight.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Crosshairs off would only be cool if they allowed for iron sights with the crossbow. Since without that, you have no real way of aiming which personally Id find stupid.

The zoom key doesnt seem to do anything, so unless the mask upgrade allows for some sort of zoomed aimed mode, trying to use the ranged weapons with no sort of actual real aiming point reference just does not seem like what Id call fun.
Harsh
KuGsj.gif

You have a very real way of aiming. The crosshair is indicating a spot on your screen that doesn't move you know ;)

There is also a zoom upgrade for the mask, as you surmise.

Finally, the immersion gained is fun for me, so, you know, pah!

Just finished mission 2, non-lethal and this game is bonkers. Loving the shit out of it. Doing a no-kill no-upgrade run. Was going for no alerts but somehow triggered 4 alarms in mission 2. Not really sure what's considered an alarm.
After I branded the Overseer for the non-lethal objective, a guy entered the interrogation room (didn't see me), but saw the Overseer and called for an alarm. I figured that was scripted but idk. An alarm was never triggered by a guard seeing me.
Any tips?

edit - forgot to mention that I had a few discovered bodies, but still there was no indication an alarm was triggered. No sound or enemies scrambling or anything.

nOoblet16

I thought the game looked passable when I played it at gamescom, are the extra benefits of PC version large enough ? If not then I'll just get the console version as I enjoy playing on my HDTV more than my PC monitor (don't ask why I don't connect my PC to my HDTV).

Tess3ract

Banned
You can also do this:

iType_AntiAlias=0 //DISHONORED: olhermite (2012-07-26) see engineArkPClasses.h, EPpAa_None=0, EPpAa_Mlaa=1, EPpAa_Fxaa=2

I like how the dishonored devs actually commented on the ini files a little

I was going to try and play this game pure stealth and non-lethal but god damn they make it too fun to kill everything in sight.

My plan is non-lethal stealth until shit hits the fan. Although I couldn't resist (first main mission spoiler)
unleashing the rats from the little room during the Granny side-mission. I almost felt bad when they tore apart one of the guards.

bumclot

Just finished mission 2, non-lethal and this game is bonkers. Loving the shit out of it. Doing a no-kill no-upgrade run. Was going for no alerts but somehow triggered 4 alarms in mission 2. Not really sure what's considered an alarm.
After I branded the Overseer for the non-lethal objective, a guy entered the interrogation room (didn't see me), but saw the Overseer and called for an alarm. I figured that was scripted but idk. An alarm was never triggered by a guard seeing me.
Any tips?

edit - forgot to mention that I had a few discovered bodies, but still there was no indication an alarm was triggered. No sound or enemies scrambling or anything.

If the blast shields go down over the windows it's a sure sign that an alarm was triggered. I believe enemies will trigger an alarm if they find bodies, too.

Fou-Lu

Going pure stealth on very hard for the first run. Second run will probably be pure combat on normal difficulty, just to make myself feel badass.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My plan is non-lethal stealth until shit hits the fan. Although I couldn't resist (first main mission spoiler)
unleashing the rats from the little room during the Granny side-mission. I almost felt bad when they tore apart one of the guards.
Mine too.

Honestly, I don't want to kill anyone until I know what's going on. But if you come between me and my answers...

Solo

Hmmm......I'm liking the game so far, but I'm not loving it. Granted, I just got blink, so I realize I'm not really even into the good stuff yet. But so far I find that world itself to be A++ (City 17 meets Rapture basically), but I haven't found the gameplay engaging or fresh yet and the plot is lol.

Derrick01

Banned
Hmmm......I'm liking the game so far, but I'm not loving it. Granted, I just got blink, so I realize I'm not really even into the good stuff yet. But so far I find that world itself to be A++ (City 17 meets Rapture basically), but I haven't found the gameplay engaging or fresh yet and the plot is lol.

The whole fun starts after you get blink and get on the boat to the first mission. That's when you're let off the leash.

TheExodu5

Banned
Anyone else notice this? In the first mission:

See the second floor of thisbuilding? Notice the window on the left, and the solid wall on the right.

Now let's take a look at that room from the inside (keep in mind I'm looking in the opposite direction here so left/right are reversed). Notice the barricaded window on the left (where the wall was solid from the outside), and solid wall on the right (where there was a window outside).

You can even see to the outside from that barricaded window on the left.

antitrop

As far as the graphics go on PC, I would put them at "Dated and well below average".

The art style does some to make up for it, though.

TheExodu5

Banned
Why do you find it insulting? I don't see why someone would be upset about it, it's hilarious and not a big deal. But to each their own I guess.

It's shit that gets repeated ad nauseum in multiplatform threads, and frankly, it's tiring. Yeah, games look and run better on the PC. Show off some shots or whatever, but there's no need to keep rubbing people's faces with the PC version being superior, as if it's always a contest. Plus, the Master Race meme is both a) tired, and b) borderline offensive, so it really serves no purpose.

As far as the graphics go on PC, I would put them at "Dated and well below average".

The art style does some to make up for it, though.

I think the visuals are phenomenal. The game runs fantastically well, with no microstutter or notable mouse lag to boot. With 4x SGSSAA, the game looks gorgeous and pristine. The art style is incredible and the textures are used to such a fantastic effect to create a unique looking world that I barely notice the fact that they're low resolution.

Solo

RE: the graphics.

I said this in the PC performance thread: This game is 2012's RAGE on a technical and artistic level - amazing, beautiful, cohesive world design that shouldn't be looked at too closely.

The whole fun starts after you get blink and get on the boat to the first mission. That's when you're let off the leash.

No doubt. I'm done for the night, but tomorrow I'll get into the meat of it and hopefully it will click for me.

Got my copy, got the pre-order tarot deck bonus and it's amazing looking. The cards are awesome, and the artwork on them is incredible. Probably my favorite physical game extra I've ever gotten.

Can't wait to jump in and play a bit.

RE: the graphics.

I said this in the PC performance thread: This game is 2012's RAGE on a technical and artistic level - amazing, beautiful, cohesive world design that shouldn't be looked at too closely.

whaa? You think this game is on the same technical level as Rage? I don't think so...

Solo

whaa? You think this game is on the same technical level as Rage? I don't think so...

No, poor wording on my part. I wasn't doing a megatextures = ? comparison. What I meant was that, like Rage, Dishonored has a lot of muddy, low res textures that don't stand up at all to any scrutiny, and yet both games are testaments of artistic vision triumphing over technical limitations or gaffes.

lucius

DAMN why do I get a massive headache playing first person ...uugghhh!!!!

This game bothered me a bit also, I turned down the look sensitivity on X/Y from 20(default on PS3)to 10 and this helped for me, might not be to your liking but worth a try. I play the Borderland/Halo/Bioshock games fine, but some weird reason some games Portal/Halflife games bothered me if played too long.

Trying my no kill stealth run on hard was too difficult for me on my 1st playthrough, maybe will try after beating it.

Top Bottom