• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

So.. at the beginning..

When the Empress is assassinated, does it matter if you kill the three attackers? It said kill or defend (nonlethal), so I didn't know if I was just supposed to block their attacks or what...

Does having NPC's killer Weepers count against you? I've been leading them to guards so I could save sleep darts.

Not sure it said I killed someone on the first mission and I know I didn't unless I did something like that oh well I am still stealth but taking a break don't want to play so much in one day.

For someone doing a playthrough that actually requires skill and encourages freedom but isn't impossible, how does this sound:

Hard
Objective Popups Off
Focus Highlight Off (I'm not too sure what this is exactly as I haven't started yet, but I'd like to get rid of the hints.)
Sounds good - that's what I'm rolling. Focus highlight makes objects glow, so definitely keep it off.

Going for a lethal, high-chaos playthrough. If there are two endings, I want to get the "bad" one first to give me more motivation for a second playthrough.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
5 hours-ish, still in the middle of the 1st mission, really picking things apart.

Once you start to get used to the mechanics, how to adapt when you fail, what to prioritize, how recurring environmental objects can be used, etc., you realize how just absolutely, staggeringly overpowered you are compared to the world around you, and how well-suited you are to the task set before you.

I'm playing on Very Hard with little UI, no crosshair, and I also haven't yet used a health potion. I replenish my health a little at a time by eating food, and sometimes I just barely escape with my life and live to another save. Yet over time I realize, even with this extra self-imposed restriction, if I were to simply kill every being I came across without regard for the trail of corpses left in my wake, I would barely be challenged. With only the most basic powers (
upgraded Blink and zoom
), I can already toy with the people I stalk. The thought alone that I can unlock the other things on that screen makes me feel like one of the most potent player characters in gaming thus far. And so I have come to understand the nature of my character, or at least the way I'm playing him.

Every non-lethal takedown I perform, every dart I fire, every individual I slip past without a sound, is someone I could kill without a second thought. The game is allowing me to show mercy; I am judging their innocence as lives that simply happened to be standing between me and my goals. Because of
the heart, I am able to actually make these judgments with certainty.
And sometimes the judgment goes the other way.

"Failure" in a given encounter for me isn't losing in a firefight. It's being seen in the first place. But when I'm caught, I don't reload my save, because Corvo can't "reload a save." I try to make the best of it, to get back into the shadow, to confuse my pursuers. But sometimes this fails, and the blade comes out. When I was spotted in close quarters outside
Dr. Galvani's office
and couldn't get away, and three guards came for me shouting and ranting, I imagined Corvo sighing to himself, left with no choice. And then without appearing to have moved, suddenly he had separated the head of one guard from its shoulders. The other two barely had time to glance at each other in confusion before being pierced and killed by the same, single pistol shot.

And just like that the streets were quiet again. "Fools," Corvo would mutter, checking his equipment. He'd wonder if these three particular guards really held malice in themselves, or if they just happened to be having a particularly bad day. He hadn't been able to
listen to the heart
in the heat of combat. And he'd sigh to himself again. "Can't let them see me next time." And then he'd blink away.

There are a lot of valid ways to play this game, and that's how I'm playing it this time.

Mechazawa

So, I wrapped up the first mission and while no objective markers works out great for the actual assassination, it's kind of a pain in the ass when I don't know where the pick up point is supposed to be.

vazel

Banned
Okay, I'm gonna be the one to say it. You're taking too damn long.
I think a lot of people are confusing the Overseer mission for the first mission. I made the same mistake. The prison escape is the first mission(since that's the first time you get the results screen).

So if he's talking about the Overseer mission then 3 hours logged isn't a lot. It's about where I'm at too. I'm playing stealth in very hard difficulty.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think a lot of people are confusing the Overseer mission for the first mission. I made the same mistake. The prison escape is the first mission(since that's the first time you get the results screen).
Oh, uh, yeah. That's what I mean by first mission. Easy to get this mixed up when talking about it, it's the first "mission" I've been given in the plot.

Derrick01

Banned

So if he's talking about the Overseer mission then 3 hours logged isn't a lot. It's about where I'm at too. I'm playing stealth in very hard difficulty.

Yeah overseer is what I called the 1st mission too since it's the 1st one that opens up really.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Sneaking in Dishonored feels very clumsy and counter intuitive. I'm finding it really frustrating.

Also: I hate the lean mechanic. I hate lean mechanics in ALL games, though. Why can't I just manually peek out like normal? :-|

Kind of annoyed at the game right now. Been playing for 3 hours, first assassination target down.

During that first assassination mission, you're requested to spare the life of someone specific. I did. I put him to sleep with a tranq dart & moved him to a safe place. When I came back from that mission, the requester is pissed at me for not saving his life. I DID! And because Corvo is silent, I can't protest.

Ulgh. Completion glitches like this really undermine my desire to play more, especially this early in the game. Otherwise, I'm enjoying the game, too.

Sneaking in Dishonored feels very clumsy and counter intuitive. I'm finding it really frustrating.

Also: I hate the lean mechanic. I hate lean mechanics in ALL games, though. Why can't I just manually peek out like normal? :-|

Are we playing the same game? I thought the sneaking was smooth as glass, and the leaning was a great way to look into a room without being seen.

So mana recharges after your first Blink but nothing else?

So far I have noticed that if you don't let it recharge after you use an ability before using another one, it won't recharge.

Wow, you hate peaking mechanics in a stealth game? Maybe it's time to switch to a new game.

Well I just beat it on Hard with low chaos. I found that if treat this In a pure Hitman purist fashion I seem to have more fun. If I killed anyone I made a mental note so on my next playthrough (very hard) I won't make the same mistakes. I love this gameplay experience.

I liked the ending and am looking forward to what the others are. Though I wonder what the conditions are for all 7 endings?!

I understand Low/Med/High Chaos, but that seems to account for only 3 endings. Time to dive back in.

TheExodu5

Banned
Kind of annoyed at the game right now. Been playing for 3 hours, first assassination target down.

During that first assassination mission, you're requested to spare the life of someone specific. I did. I put him to sleep with a tranq dart & moved him to a safe place. When I came back from that mission, the requester is pissed at me for not saving his life. I DID! And because Corvo is silent, I can't protest.

Ulgh. Completion glitches like this really undermine my desire to play more, especially this early in the game. Otherwise, I'm enjoying the game, too.

You were supposed to free him and let him escape. You knocking him out could presumably have gotten him caught again.

neoism

yeah I carried him all the way out of the big building... it said I saved him in the mission log at the end but she was pissed at me the same... :/

You were supposed to free him and let him escape. You knocking him out could presumably have gotten him caught again.
The objective actually says to move the targets unconscious body to a safe place, so knocking him out should be fine. I just ran into the same issue, not sure where I was supposed to leave him.

TheExodu5

Banned
The objective actually says to move the targets unconscious body to a safe place, so knocking him out should be fine. I just ran into the same issue, not sure where I was supposed to leave him.

Are you talking about Martin? I don't recall it saying to render him unconscious

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, you hate peaking mechanics in a stealth game? Maybe it's time to switch to a new game.
But what's the point of it? What does it do that I can't already do by just peeking past cover with the sticks? It doesn't somehow define the stealth genre. :lol

bumclot

Nah,
you can also knock him out but then you have to put him in a specific dumpster,
which it sounds like the person did, so I'm not sure what the issue could have been.

but you're forced to kill them

If that's true, then I can stop my excessive save/load complex and just enjoy the game.

No,
you can just keep blocking them, or hide from them under a table (lol), and eventually they'll disappear.

Ashodin

Hint: you can do the things in your hands.

You can CHANGE THE AVATARS

image.php

ironcreed

Banned
As others have said, it took me around 4 hours before I even managed to complete the first mission,
killing High Overseer Campbell.
The game feels huge and there are so many areas you can reach that would not even possible in most games. It is going to take a long time to find all of the nooks and crannies, high perches and ways around using blink, climb and slide. Just insanely good level design.

Something else I am really surprised by is all of the reading material and lore lying around. It kind of gives you a nice inside look at Dunwall, it's odd characters and the world in general. Also, having the items of worth you find automatically being transferred to coins is very much appreciated. So much easier and cleaner than having a cluttered up inventory of shit you have to go sell. Take notes on this, devs.

Anyway, with the uniqueness of the environment, the freedom, the amazing plethora of abilities, the weird characters and superb level design, this is easily one of the best games of the generation. That is no exaggeration and it is easy to see why it has received such high praise. It's because it's well earned.

So refreshing to have such an original and thoughtfully designed new IP that reaches this kind of level. Games like this are too few and far between and I only wish more developers would put as much care and respect for the player in when designing their games. Stop chasing and imitating the cash cows and don't be afraid to take chances with bold ideas that stand out from the pack.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It allows you to peak without being seen.
But why does the game use a lean mechanic for that, rather than just allowing the player to use the normal controls to look around corners, etc.? It's not the end of the world or anything, and I've liked plenty of games that use lean mechanics, but I don't think I've ever played one where it felt purposeful.

Hint: you can do the things in your hands.
What do you mean?

I just finished the first real mission (
assassinating the Overseer
), and I'm in love with this game. The feel of the movement, the combat, the blinking (Gawd, the blinking...) is just so perfect, sort of like a low-maintenance Mirror's Edge with enough stickiness that you don't have to worry about perfect alignment. I just sailed past the eight hour mark, exploring every single room in the entire level with all my HUD elements turned off. Finding the non-lethal way of getting rid of the target on my own made me feel like a properly awesome assassin, and I've upgraded to Blink 2 and Agility 1 so I'm Batmanning all over the place. Time spent on the ground is time wasted :p

Even with my exhaustive search there are still a couple of miniquests I wasn't able to find. There's an apartment around Bottle Street with a message written on the wall about a hidden stash 'in the shitter under the bridge' that I wasn't able to find, and in the back yard of the Overseer's building there's a valve handle that needs to be fitted in some store room near the loading docks. I'm sure they're just caches of potions and ammo, but I still love following those kinds of clues. I just started the second mission and Sam told me to look out for Slackjaw, who I'd already heard of from obsessively reading all the notes and graffiti I saw. It's pretty similar to the e-mails and pocket secretaries in DXHR, which I also loved finding.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
But why does the game use a lean mechanic for that, rather than just allowing the player to use the normal controls to look around corners, etc.? It's not the end of the world or anything, and I've liked plenty of games that use lean mechanics, but I don't think I've ever played one where it felt purposeful.

Because it wouldn't work with the current cover and AI systems, meaning both would need to be revised to either look differently, or be less responsive. The point of the lean mechanic is to tie in large cover with the perceptive AI. The lean is supposed to represent you subtly peaking out, the AI unable to spot you. The game literally does not let you expose your body to the AI, else the AI registers your position.

It's simply an aspect of the game design, and integral to the stealth/cover/AI system they've built. To remove it would require a revision of all of these things.

Nope. Talking about Cordow(?), the City Watch Captain, Callista's uncle.
Yes, this is the one. Just tried completing the mission after putting him in the dumpster mentioned above, didn't work either (figured it was worth a shot). No clue where else to try :(

ironcreed

Banned
The art style is so gorgeous.

Loving this game so far. I'm not even a big stealth fan.

It is. It does not even look like an Unreal Engine 3 game. You can tell that Viktor Antonov did the art, as the game has that same kind of sense of belonging that just made you enjoy being in Half-Life 2. But with totally it's own unique vibe here. It is just such an interesting place and with characters like
Granny Rags and the creepy way she contorts her fingers while speaking,
it just gives the game such a stand out personality and life.

bumclot

Yes, this is the one. Just tried completing the mission after putting him in the dumpster mentioned above, didn't work either (figured it was worth a shot). No clue where else to try :(

Sorry, this is probably a stupid question but did you
put him in the dumpster with the objective marker? Any old dumpster won't work. Did you get the 'Target Rescued' pop-up?

I managed to do it with sleep darts.
I smashed the wine glasses, which caused the High Overseer to lead the guy I needed to save down to his secret chamber to "show him a painting". I had already stolen the painting, so the High Overseer asked the guy to look for it behind some crates. As soon as the man's back was turned, the Overseer drew his sword. I then tranquilized the rescue target, popped out, and stealth killed the Overseer before he noticed me.

You have to then carry the rescue target to a trash can on the way out. I only figured it out by turning objectives back on for a sec.

ironcreed

Banned
Leaning is awesome and more games need a lean. Lean IS your peek.

I love how lean works in this game. You don't even have to hold the analog stick in place like with most games. Just press triangle (PS3 here) to go into lean mode, lean left or right and let the analog stick go. Feels so natural.

Top Bottom