• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

I really love Gamestop.

Went in tonight to see if they had any PS3 copies of Dishonored, and the manager hooked me up with the Arcane Assassin pre-order pack, and the tarot cards. What a nice fellow.

Fpk6E.jpg

Saw this question asked previously but didn't see an answer - what's the word on Chaos and how it effects endings? Would hate to get a bad ending for doing a lethal playthrough.

I understand that killing can effect a few things in game, but how different do the endings vary? (no spoilers)

Fracas

#fuckonami
Is there fall damage in this game?

I see what looks like items, but it's far down from where I am. I don't wanna die lol

edit: looks like there is. dang

For someone doing a playthrough that actually requires skill and encourages freedom but isn't impossible, how does this sound:

Hard
Objective Popups Off
Focus Highlight Off (I'm not too sure what this is exactly as I haven't started yet, but I'd like to get rid of the hints.)

For someone doing a playthrough that actually requires skill and encourages freedom but isn't impossible, how does this sound:

Hard
Objective Popups Off
Focus Highlight Off (I'm not too sure what this is exactly as I haven't started yet, but I'd like to get rid of the hints.)

It removes the golden glow around objects when you look in their direction. But there is still a slightly less obvious but still very obvious silver glow around the objects.

Hard
Objective Popups Off

Focus Highlight off turns off the annoying glowing on usable objects. A must.

Question about the second mission.

I went into the sewers and found an "Ancient Note" stating that he left something but the rats will probably get it before anyone. Is there something hidden for me to find?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Remember all my rent talk? Well Redbox didn't have it this morning and I wasn't going to be on campus to check Blockbuster until tomorrow, so I did what any gamer would do and smacked down $60 for it because I just. couldn't. WAIT! It's four hours of gameplay later, and while I have only completed the training and first mission, all my concerns have been wiped away. Hard, no objective markers, and lethal if needed. DO IT!

Derrick01

Banned

Hard
Objective Popups Off

That stuff will get you going pretty good. I have those settings plus a couple others like making the health bar contextual and making the rune markers turn off when I whip the heart out and it feels just right.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I wish there were more games like this *sigh* :(.

AniHawk

any deals on this sucker aside from the k-mart one? i was going to hold off for a b2g1f later, but that's like, two weeks away probably.

bumclot

Question about the second mission.

I went into the sewers and found an "Ancient Note" stating that he left something but the rats will probably get it before anyone. Is there something hidden for me to find?

Not 100% sure, but I think the note is in reference to the bone charms in the direct vicinity.

KingKong

This game is amazing. I'm still on the first mission, but I already feel so powerful blinking and skulking around all over the place. There are so many ways to accomplish things.

I think this might be legit better than Thief 1/2, it's too bad the story/writing so far are so subpar or it could be challenging Deus Ex

Also the art style is very nice. The textures could have been a little higher (especially on objects and things like cabinets), but the overall look is great

Derrick01

Banned
I almost don't even want to ask but does the (mission 1 spoiler...maybe?)
distillery
have anything to do with my goal? It doesn't feel like it does considering who they want me to kill but I just kinda wandered in here. It's a pretty big area.

bumclot

I almost don't even want to ask but does the (mission 1 spoiler...maybe?)
distillery
have anything to do with my goal? It doesn't feel like it does considering who they want me to kill but I just kinda wandered in here. It's a pretty big area.

It's related to a sidequest.

Sullen

Anyone figured out where the save games are located on the PC version? I'd like to be able to back mine up instead of overwriting them. The game only allows a certain amount and then begins asking you to overwrite.

I am on the first mission and three hours counting. I have only scratched the surface of exploring the first real level. I am loving it so far, all the stuff to read, find, etc. It feels so great looking for runes with the heart and skulking around the rainy city. Even though the graphics aren't the best the scenery is breathtaking and oozes with atmosphere. This game has definitely lived up to my expectations so far.

I am glad that I decided to buy it day one rather than wait for it to go down in price. I hope this game is successful so Arkane can make more of this.

Eusis

It removes the golden glow around objects when you look in their direction. But there is still a slightly less obvious but still very obvious silver glow around the objects.
I wonder what setting gets rid of the latter? Though given the former seems to mainly be there for stuff like, say, garbage bin lids, yeah, I dumped it. Heart marker too, there's ALREADY an indicator there, so any more is just overkill.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I know I'm the only one, but I hate load screens that make me push a button after it's done loading. I always sit there, not paying attention, wondering why it's taking so long.

Still getting used to exactly how i should be playing this game.

I know what you mean, we are so used to games nowadays guiding you what to do in a organized way when you get a game like this that you can go different paths and what not you think you're playing it wrong, ha.

ezekial45

Banned
I just assassinated (Golden Cat spoilers)
the twin at the Golden Cat. I feel bad now because Lord Pendilton is upset. Was there a nonlethal route to take them out? The brother in the steam room seemed pretty clean cut. I didn't know what else to do.

I just assassinated (Golden Cat spoilers)
the twin at the Golden Cat. I feel bad now because Lord Pendilton is upset. Was there a nonlethal route to take them out?

Yeah if you have had spoken to slackjaw he would have given you a sidequest for the non-lethal approach.

Midou

I like how it lets you turn off all the quest markers and pop-ups and stuff, but it's missing a key element for a game that lets you do something like this. It should have provided more detail when your given an objective, so then you can figure out where targets are yourself. Instead of "go talk to jim" NPCs should be telling you "go talk to jim, hes east of the town's core, in an alley off the main street". That way you could keep the quest markers off and not go everywhere blindly until you find a quest objective.

I'm speaking more about games like this in general, moreso than just Dishonored. Though I only did the first mission so far. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, though I do suck at stealth, but at least it lets you mix and match options better than a lot of other games like this.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Anyone figured out where the save games are located on the PC version? I'd like to be able to back mine up instead of overwriting them. The game only allows a certain amount and then begins asking you to overwrite.

The game utilises Steam Cloud for saves, right? If so, you should find them in Steam\userdata\[your Steam account id]\205100\remote.

I played almost 5 hours of this today. I got through all of the introductory stuff fairly quickly, but I spent so much exploring and sneaking in the first real assassination mission. I probably spent the majority of my playtime in just that one level.

I love how dense it is with hidden areas and sidequests. The movement feels great on kb+m. I'm enjoying the dialogue quite a bit here and there.

Dishonored is delivering on my hype for it so far.

Boulayman

Wallace spoiler. Early game ( before mission 1)

I just though the heart learnt that the wallace guy is a traitor. I now have the option to kill him but I am worried that killing him like that with zero proof will have dreadful impact on my reputation or maybe even make me lose some sidequests. So I wonder if anyone who is a bit more ahead in the game can tell me more about that.

Derrick01

Banned
Okay, I'm gonna be the one to say it. You're taking too damn long.

3 hours just for that mission or 3 hours total? I was barely into the first mission 3 hours in and now I'm just kind of wandering around exploring here or there. I could easily see this taking 20+ hours for me.

Jack_AG

Banned
I know I'm the only one, but I hate load screens that make me push a button after it's done loading. I always sit there, not paying attention, wondering why it's taking so long.
You are not alone. I was thinking "holy shit this is taking forever to load" the first time ha! With so many options you'd think they'd throw one in for that, too.

Top Bottom