• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Because it wouldn't work with the current cover and AI systems, meaning both would need to be revised to either look differently, or be less responsive. The point of the lean mechanic is to tie in large cover with the perceptive AI. The lean is supposed to represent you subtly peaking out, the AI unable to spot you. The game literally does not let you expose your body to the AI, else the AI registers your position.

It's simply an aspect of the game design, and integral to the stealth/cover/AI system they've built. To remove it would require a revision of all of these things.
Yeah, totally, I realize it would require pretty sweeping changes to how the games works. It just feels clunky and unnecessary to me, like it usually does in other games.

A few things I *do* like about this game so far:
- Combat feels amazing. I might ditch the stealthy route pretty quick, as I obviously have problems with how it works. :p
- Dialogue and voice acting.
- Swimming animation. :-O
- Customizable auto-aim sensitivity.
- Peeking thru key holes is really fun.

what were the respective preorder bonus for this? I didnt see it listed in the OP. I'm not happy with the one I got from amazon, Butcher Pack. Its basically for someone whos gonna go guns blazing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What do you mean?
You're in cover; you move out of cover and your target sees you, you get caught and die. You lean out, your target can't see you, but you can shoot him with a tranquilizer dart. Then you can Blink up to and subdue the friend you spotted 10 feet away from him during the peek.

Enjoying the game so far, but I feel Deus Ex: HR's stealth is a bit more polished. The systems, not the implementation.

And fuck, how many endings are there? I thought there were only 2. Is there any point in actively persuing a high-chaos ending, or are the endings just on a sliding scale of worst to best?

branny

My copy is coming tomorrow, but I'm wondering two things from watching footage here and there:

1. Do people who are choked out or tranq'd with sleeping darts eventually wake up?

2. Is there any other nonlethal method to take people out? A nonlethal melee attack per chance?

Ashodin

SalsaShark and CambriaRising
hwKn3.png
UpiLr.png

Sorry, this is probably a stupid question but did you
put him in the dumpster with the objective marker? Any old dumpster won't work. Did you get the 'Target Rescued' pop-up?
Ugh that was it. I was playing with the objective markers off so I don't think I ever would have known the right place. Not sure if I should keep it on or off now.

Thanks though! Finally done with the first mission.

Ugh that was it. I was playing with the objective markers off so I don't think I ever would have known the right place. Not sure if I should keep it on or off now.

Hrmm. Making me wanna turn markers back on if the game is designed around them like this.

bumclot

Don't hold me to it but I think that's the only instance where having markers off is an issue. But I guess if something seems off or you get stumped it's good practice to turn the markers on temporarily.

mjc

So in the first assassination mission I can't find this rune.
Its underneath the building where Campbell meets with the Overseer. Any tips?

Don't hold me to it but I think that's the only instance where having markers off is an issue. But I guess if something seems off or you get stumped it's good practice to turn the markers on temporarily.

Yeah, it's the only situation I've needed to turn them back on. I do wonder if there's some piece of random
GEE THIS SPECIFIC DUMPSTER WOULD BE GREAT FOR HIDING AN UNCONSCIOUS RESCUE TARGET
dialogue I missed.

Salsa

DO I KILL HIM OR DO I NOT KILL HIM

having an optional task on my quest log that wont get fullfiled pains me, but I wanna kill this bastard (first mission)

ive been murdering pretty much anyone except for the ones I didnt feel like it. There's just too much variety and fun to be had as to do a non-lethal playthrough the first way through it

MrBig

So in the first assassination mission I can't find this rune.
Its underneath the building where Campbell meets with the Overseer. Any tips?

Main entrance to that building, turn right into the main staircase room and there's a door at the bottom level to some stairs that leads to the Kennels exit and another door that is a secret chamber with the rune.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm really just astounded and impressed with how huge the 1st level has been and how many different ways there are to go, even if a lot of them aren't the most well hidden which could just be because it's the 1st real level. I've definitely gotten lost quite a bit and I'm pretty much just winging it and taking each room as it comes but I've found a lot of secrets already. I just now found a secret room because I thought I saw a gem to take as loot but it opened a passage in the wall instead leading to some much nicer loot and lore.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I went on and trying stealth and guns and many gameplay option, it's freaking great that everything work amazingly, some games that try to give you option let you suffer in a lesser experience when you go stealth only and other give you a horrible game when you go with killing, here it's actually pretty good with whatever you pick because the base/core experience is solid.

Also the the world is full of souls and levels and characters feel alive,insane freedom, amazing setting/level design and art style(really love it) wonderful work from Arkane Studios.

Game of the year.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not feeling the game so far. It's not bad, but it certainly hasn't clicked yet.

Derrick01

Banned
Level 1 completed. I was surprised that I found all the collectibles really without trying that hard. 7/7 runes, 5/5 charms, 1/1 paintings and 1/1 shrines (I don't even remember what that is).

Great level.

Yopis

Well just started this about 2 hours ago. Honestly hope the tutorial stuff scales back fast. Also dont like silent heroes. Game seems like fallout nv/deus ex/mirrors edge.Not blowing me away but still fun minus the giant go here arrows.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well just started this about 2 hours ago. Honestly hope the tutorial stuff scales back fast. Also dont like silent heroes. Game seems like fallout nv/deus ex/mirrors edge.Not blowing me away but still fun minus the giant go here arrows.
Please turn those off before you play any more :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gotta give props to Arkane for the motion and weight of first person movement. Not surprising given Dark Messiah and Arx Fatalis, but they've done a tremendous job of making the first person camera seem attached to an actual body and thus the actual game world. Climbing chains, running and sliding, hopping up on a ledge, sword fighting, etc. It all moves and looks connected to the game world, not like a floating disembodied camera, and manages to avoid clumsiness and nausea sometimes associated with efforts like this.

For the first playthrough I am using markers I would be screwed if I didn't I don't always go for them but it helps a little next playthrough I will take them off. Plus I am playing stealthy.

ironcreed

Banned
Gotta give props to Arkane for the motion and weight of first person movement. Not surprising given Dark Messiah and Arx Fatalis, but they've done a tremendous job of making the first person camera seem attached to an actual body and thus the actual game world. Climbing chains, running and sliding, hopping up on a ledge, sword fighting, etc. It all moves and looks connected to the game world, not like a floating disembodied camera, and manages to avoid clumsiness and nausea sometimes associated with efforts like this.

Yep, and there is also this softness to how it plays that is hard to describe, but feels so damn good. I guess you could say an agile, soft footed assassin that moves like a cat. As I mentioned earlier, this might be the best playing first person game ever for me.

Level 1 completed. I was surprised that I found all the collectibles really without trying that hard. 7/7 runes, 5/5 charms, 1/1 paintings and 1/1 shrines (I don't even remember what that is).

Great level.

I didn't even come close to finding all of the collectibles in any mission yet. I guess I just don't have the same patience that some people have for searching these levels.

Sneaking in Dishonored feels very clumsy and counter intuitive. I'm finding it really frustrating.

Also: I hate the lean mechanic. I hate lean mechanics in ALL games, though. Why can't I just manually peek out like normal? :-|

I feel like it could really use a double assassinate of some kind. Maybe that comes later, but I just get tired of seeing a pair of guards standing around loudly vocalizing their every thought for about 20 seconds before splitting up so it's actually possible to stealthily eliminate them.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yep, and there is also this softness to how it plays that is hard to describe, but feels so damn good. I guess you could say an agile, soft footed assassin that moves like a cat. As I mentioned earlier, this might be the best playing first person game ever for me.

Definitely feel the softness. Very, very quickly jumping, slidding, running and blinking around the environment. I'm yet to hit that point where I've felt the controls are clumsy, or the interaction buggy, or anything like that. It's so responsive and smooth. Looove it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely feel the softness. Very, very quickly jumping, slidding, running and blinking around the environment. I'm yet to hit that point where I've felt the controls are clumsy, or the interaction buggy, or anything like that. It's so responsive and smooth. Looove it.
Man, I'm having the opposite experience. I feel like I'm bumbling over every ledge and step. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it's been a slow, frustrating experience thus far.

Edit : It doesn't help that I've switched control schemes multiple times. I *really* don't find and of the control schemes intuitive. I've settled on D, but I still don't like it much.

Edit Again : A little visual effect I just noticed -- when you scroll through a long document, the page tilts. It somehow makes the document feel more tangible. I like it.

EatChildren

Man, I'm having the opposite experience. I feel like I'm bumbling over every ledge and step. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it's been a slow, frustrating experience thus far.

What system/controller? Probably doesn't make a different, but mouse + keyboard on PC works beautifully.

Sloane

Banned
Amazing game. Less Deus Ex than I expected though, feels more like Thief or Bioshock with choices. And what was up with the "you can complete the game in 4 hours" talk before its release? I've played 4 hours and I've just finished the first mission...

What system/controller? Probably doesn't make a different, but mouse + keyboard on PC works beautifully.
Yup, controls on PC are perfect.

sp3000

I just realized this is the first time I've spent $60 on a game since BF3

I hope it's worth it. I just finished Thief 3 a while back so I'm going to be comparing it to that.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
It's very, very smooth on a PC. I'm using the 360 controller with Vsyc enabled. It's one of the reasons why the game is so satisfying to play.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like you guys are playing a different game. :lol

Hope I get used to it. I love most everything else about the game so far, but the controls feel like a hurdle.

ironcreed

Banned
PS3 here and it plays like butter. Just a pleasure to play with how they nailed the feel of being agile and light on your feet. It really is amazing.

Top Bottom