• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

ironcreed

Banned
I didn't know that player actions could affect the world, I have made it a more terrible place.

image.php

bumclot

I feel like it could really use a double assassinate of some kind. Maybe that comes later, but I just get tired of seeing a pair of guards standing around loudly vocalizing their every thought for about 20 seconds before splitting up so it's actually possible to stealthily eliminate them.

There are powers the player can utilize to deal with these situations. You could use Bend Time 2 to freeze everything and kill them both. You could possess one and walk him somewhere else. You could use Rat Swarm to devour them, although that will cause any guard within earshot to become alerted. You could shoot one with the crossbow from above while almost simultaneously Blinking behind the second guard and assassinating him. Even without powers there are options, like picking up a bottle and throwing it nearby to break up their conversation ;)

Salsa

awh man. fucking stealth cheevo headache starts again. Im 99 percent sure I went through the first mission without being seen yet I didnt recieve the "ghost" reward :/

really dont feel like replaying the whole thing just to get that, but I wanted to get that achievement out of the way on the first playthrough. Talk about annoying

THIS IS DEUS EX HR ALL OVER AGAIN

awh man. fucking stealth cheevo headache starts again. Im 99 percent sure I went through the first mission without being seen yet I didnt recieve the "ghost" reward :/

really dont feel like replaying the whole thing just to get that, but I wanted to get that achievement out of the way on the first playthrough. Talk about annoying

Yeah it is way harder than it looks thought I got it too guess someone saw me.

Ashodin

God why does this game make me want to punch myself in the balls until I get the levels exactly right. This is masochism at it's highest level

Salsa

Took me 5.5 hours to go through the first mission too. Got all the items and did all the sidestuff. Shit!

Guess that for my second playthrough I'll just try to do all at once: very hard, without anyone seeing me, without killing anyone, using only blink..

i'll just run through and not do the sidestuff that time around I guess

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Harsh
KuGsj.gif

You have a very real way of aiming. The crosshair is indicating a spot on your screen that doesn't move you know ;)

There is also a zoom upgrade for the mask, as you surmise.

Finally, the immersion gained is fun for me, so, you know, pah!

Its too damned bad that they didnt include some sort of aim mode, since it would have added to the immersion when folks turn off crosshairs. Also considering there is only like 2 ranged weapons the pistol and crossbow, its not like it would have been some sort of huge effort to do it. If they had that in I most def would be playing with no crosshairs.

Took me 5.5 hours to go through the first mission too. Got all the items and did all the sidestuff. Shit!

Guess that for my second playthrough I'll just try to do all at once: very hard, without anyone seeing me, without killing anyone, using only blink..

i'll just run through and not do the sidestuff that time around I guess

Yeah same probably too hard to do it in the first shot.

commissar

I reckon the attempted stealth/reactive playthrough with reload only on death run is the most enjoyable way to first experience a game.

DXHR I played through first as no alarms no kills and it was fine. However playing the expansion for the first time as a reactive play was so much more enjoyable to me.
Also then there's more reasons to play it again.

Let go and just roll with it :D

1stStrike

Banned
I put about 7 hours into the game tonight (I literally just started the 3rd mission when I called it quits) and it's been pretty awesome so far. I've been taking my time, reading everything, searching for secrets, and I know I've still missed some stuff.

I love all the different ways to approach a situation and have been mostly doing a non-lethal play through. There's been some times where I have killed people, but I've maintained a low chaos rating so I should be fine. I'll be doing the kill everyone play through after this.

The story so far is nothing special, in my opinion, but it's interesting enough to keep me playing. This game is really all about the gameplay and I feel like it was well worth the investment so far. Really looking forward to finishing this up over the next couple of days and seeing how the story progresses!

Salsa

I think I can honestly say that I had more fun with this first mission than with any other entire game this year..

fuck do I miss these kind of games

Yep game is amazing so far only did 2 missions too and about 7 hours and apparently someone died along the way idk how never know with this game its crazy good.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
How do I unlock locked powers? Do I have to spend points from left to right or something?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
some powers cost more than one rune, check the costs at the right
Oh yeah, that was obvious. :lol Thanks.

Edit : Climbing out of water in this game is SO FRUSTRATING. How can anyone call the movement buttery? Either yall are crazy, or I am.
I am.

Playing my second run total stealth and non lethal. Definetly still enjoying it. Question though for those that beat it.
Whats up with the guy that gives you powers? Just never really explained that, etc unless I missed something

vazel

Banned
Did anyone get the guide? How meaty are the interviews? I'm thinking the maps will be nice too. I just want to support this game as much as I can, I already bought the theme on my PS3.

Tess3ract

Banned
So in the first "mission screen" I apparently had 2 bodies found (I knocked out everyone possible and reloaded if I heard the warning bell sound)

However, it said I didn't ghost properly (one guard was white for a moment while I climbed on the pipes, and that went away)

Then it said I killed a dude? I didn't throw anyone in water, and I knocked them out either with a tranq or mostly choking them.

And even though I examined every little cranny, I still apparently missed 134 coins.

What?

Oh man, just Dark Vision'ed to see a guard crouching down to look through the keyhole of a door I was about to walk through...seriously jumped, somehow avoided detection. Didn't realize they did that!
Played 7 hours and only started the 3rd mission, definitely unfounded complaints of it being short.
Speaking of dark vision,  what the hell does he say? I swear it sounds like "a heart dies" every time you use it. Makes me feel bad...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think I can honestly say that I had more fun with this first mission than with any other entire game this year..

fuck do I miss these kind of games

I won't go that far, as I've enjoyed quite a few games this year, but goddamn if this game isn't extremely enjoyable. I'm completely immersed while playing Dishonored. Still only logged 3 hours and I'm only in the first real mission, but it's just an incredible experience. Everything about it just clicks for me and it's a joy to play and experience the world.

Trouble

Banned
Loving this game so far. Started off avoiding kills, but I've been a murderous bastard since I got shadow kill. Also, using rewire tools on the
towers
on the
house of pleasure
mission was too fucking awesome to pass up.

I'm pretty sure I'll go back for a stealthy no-kill run through on hard, and maybe even an anything goes run on very hard.

Salsa

speaking from experience with other games like these (and with what happened to me on this one just now): dont go for that stuff the first time around. You'll have a bad time.

edit: since Trouble is talking about Shadow Kill: worth it? I havent got it yet cause I somewhat think that bodies might be useful.. like for setting booby traps on them for the guards to come by to check and walk over

Lotto

Oh man, this game. I keep getting caught out of position and it sucks cause then I panic and end up killing EVERYONE (except civilians). I must have filled one of the dumpsters with like 10 bodies. Died twice so far (playing on Hard) and tried my best at being stealth but am failing like crazy. I think at this point I'm just gonna let things flow, try and do stealth when I can but just do combat if I get seen. I'll definitely go back to trying a pure stealth run though.

Gotta agree with a lot of the things people are saying about the controls too. I can't exactly pinpoint it but this is probably one of the best controlling FPSes I've ever played. Everything feels so smooth and the animations have a lot of weight behind them. Probably the best swimming animation for an FPS too, feels very natural and goes well with the movements in the water. Having Corvo switch knife/blade stances when crouched and standing is a nice touch, especially when you have that stance indicator off on the UI.

Can't wait to play some more!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
God damn. Right when I start liking this game again, it once again becomes frustrating as hell. I'm trying to defend Granny Rags from these three assholes, and I've been killed / had to reload over a dozen times. Combat feels clumsy as hell.

Am I just not good at this game? I'm not used to that feeling, lol.

Edit : Tried a different tactic, and it worked. I need to get a better feel for what the enemy's vision / hearing capabilities are. I have the the power that let's me see their vision cones, but I just need to learn it, too.

Edit : Hunting runes is really fun.

v lol, yeah, that's what I ended up doing.

Salsa

God damn. Right when I start liking this game again, it once again becomes frustrating as hell. I'm trying to defend Granny Rags from these three assholes, and I've been killed / had to reload over a dozen times. Combat feels clumsy as hell.

go around the window and stealth the shit out of them

Parakeetman

Loving this game so far. Started off avoiding kills, but I've been a murderous bastard since I got shadow kill.

Im considering playing over again since dont like Shadow Kill. Main reason being is I cant admire my handiwork.

Combat feels clumsy as hell.

To put it bluntly. Its not the game its you. :D

speaking from experience with other games like these (and with what happened to me on this one just now): dont go for that stuff the first time around. You'll have a bad time.

edit: since Trouble is talking about Shadow Kill: worth it? I havent got it yet cause I somewhat think that bodies might be useful.. like for setting booby traps on them for the guards to come by to check and walk over

I like Shadow Kill since it saves me the trouble of having to stop, pick up a body and find a place to hide it. Plus it looks badass.

Eusis

Going to go through the game first time through non-lethal (or as close to non-lethal as I can since it seems they randomly go and attack each other anyway), then next time I'll play as the Predator or something, just stalking everyone with my super powers and killing them.

Parakeetman

oh, I guess guys finding bodies counts as detecting you? maybe that's why I got screwed

Yes, it puts the AI on alert mode where they assume someone is in the area.

One thing I wish the game had was the ability to disable light sources, besides those candles. Granted could set off the AI into an alert mode, it would just make the stealth feel a little less weird that Im able to hide in so many well lit places and no one notices the freak with a mask and huge stiletto

Eusis

I DO wonder if NPCs going crazy and killing each other does count against the kill count though. If not, great, but if so I'm just not going to care as much with each stage afterwards because I don't feel like sweating it because suddenly the guards know there's a thug in the area and slice his arm off.

Parakeetman

I wonder if rats getting to an unconscious body you hid somewhere is counted against you. If so... D:

GorillaJu

I don't know how many people you need to kill to increase your Chaos rating, but I have a feeling it's % based. I killed 16 or so during the High Overseer mission and my overall Chaos rating went down to low, despite it being "high" after the tutorial mission.

Mendrox

I don't know how many people you need to kill to increase your Chaos rating, but I have a feeling it's % based. I killed 16 or so during the High Overseer mission and my overall Chaos rating went down to low, despite it being "high" after the tutorial mission.

Doesn't it depend on the Mission?
Played through the first mission again yesterday. Possession ist the best stealth skill and I got the Ghost Achievement easily.

Can someone tell me how to peek through keyholes in the PC version? I only just remembered seeing that in some pre-release footage, but I must have turned all my HUD stuff off before it ever taught me how.

ekim

I guess I continue to play a mixed style - all the mechanics are just too cool to not to be used. It still is too easy :( (on very hard)

Top Bottom