• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

graywolf323

it's pretty bad that I discovered the game has a limit on the number of saves you can have during
High Overseer Campbell

save limits suck :( now I have to go back and override stuff...

Jb

I don't know how many people you need to kill to increase your Chaos rating, but I have a feeling it's % based. I killed 16 or so during the High Overseer mission and my overall Chaos rating went down to low, despite it being "high" after the tutorial mission.

I remember reading you need to kill 20% or more of the NPCs to increase your chaos rating. Can't recall where I saw that though.

First mission done, killed nobody, did all the stuff, almost got a ghost rating
:(
, playing on "Hard".

Sadly my Steam timer seems to be borked but I played about 6-7h.

I love this game.

Feature

Banned
Played the first 20 minutes or so, I'm intrigued in the story. The combat feels fun even though I shoot my gun a lot when I wanted to slash with my sword (Right mouse = weapon in left hand and visa versa). I'm playing on normal now and the fighting is pretty easy though at this moment. I'm also just murdering everyone I come across.

Ashodin

Played the first 20 minutes or so, I'm intrigued in the story. The combat feels fun even though I shoot my gun a lot when I wanted to slash with my sword (Right mouse = weapon in left hand and visa versa). I'm playing on normal now and the fighting is pretty easy though at this moment. I'm also just murdering everyone I come across.

I switched that shit immmmmmmmmmmmmmmmediately

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They mention the tearing is like for like during gameplay though, the most important part. The higher tearing in the ps3 version is a trade off for much higher framerates. They says the cutscenes in the 360 version are locked at 20fps, where as ps3 is more around 30fps, and never goes below 26fps. Regardless cutscene performance is not that big of an issue to me.

Just so this is clear, they mention ONE instance of a cutscene locked at 20 FPS on the 360, without tearing, and the same cutscene with tearing sees the lowest drop to 26FPS on PS3.

Please don't assume every cutscene on the 360 is locked at 20FPS.

On the flip side they also note the 360 version has better frame rate during actual game play, with less tearing there as well.

JambiBum

go around the window and stealth the shit out of them
What I did was blinked out of the window and waited until he started knocking again. Turned on slow time then knocked the first guy out. Pulled out tranq darts and shot the guy knocking on the door while stabbing the last guy at practically the same time. Doing the whole thing in slow motion.

What I did was blinked out of the window and waited until he started knocking again. Turned on slow time then knocked the first guy out. Pulled out tranq darts and shot the guy knocking on the door while stabbing the last guy at practically the same time. Doing the whole thing in slow motion.

Yeah Slow Time seemed like a good stealth option for that situation but I was playing Blink-only so no fun for me : /

Something I really love about the game, I'm sure it's been mentioned but still:

Holding F after knocking someone out lets you carry him instantly instead of waiting for him to hit the floor. It's a minor thing but it's sooo good.

*.*

Less than 24 hours to go now.

Cannot wait. Any hints or tips for someone going in on their first playthrough?

I'm on mission 6 and a good general tip seems to be to look for high routes through the levels. Use Blink to get up high then you can traverse mostly on rooftops, pipes, and vents to stay hidden.

Leaning is also really fucking useful. You poke out pretty far and only where you were before the lean is what can be spotted by enemies.

JambiBum

Achievement for Blink-only + poor impulse control = : /
This is why I'm glad to be playing this on pc. When I play games on my 360 I have the need to go out of my way to get achievements. On the pc I don't really care about them. It's that damn sound they make on the 360. It's just so satisfying

graywolf323

okay I'm confused I didn't kill
Geoff Curnow
but when I got back his
niece
acts like he died?

I even remember the mission giving me a checkmark saying I was successful :-/

Eusis

This is why I'm glad to be playing this on pc. When I play games on my 360 I have the need to go out of my way to get achievements. On the pc I don't really care about them. It's that damn sound they make on the 360. It's just so satisfying
It does make me wonder if achievements are ultimately going to become a novelty only a hardcore minority care are even there. And they definitely seem more detrimental to a game like this if seriously pursued on a first run, at least beyond junk like "find every book" or "get this ending".

Although I had it fail to trigger during the intro too, so it's not like the game's reliable in rewarding me!

okay I'm confused I didn't kill
Geoff Curnow
but when I got back his
niece
acts like he died?

I even remember the mission giving me a checkmark saying I was successful :-/

Did you
hide his body in the designated trash can
?

It does make me wonder if achievements are ultimately going to become a novelty only a hardcore minority care are even there. And they definitely seem more detrimental to a game like this if seriously pursued on a first run, at least beyond junk like "find every book" or "get this ending".

Blink-only is actually providing a really satisfying challenge. Without stuff like Time Stop, there's no get out of jail free cards and everything has to be planned pretty well. At the same time, it doesn't feel frustrating at all. It doesn't seem like they designed the levels with level 2 Blink, or other powers in mind.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
First mission done, killed nobody, did all the stuff, almost got a ghost rating
:(
, playing on "Hard".

Sadly my Steam timer seems to be borked but I played about 6-7h.

I love this game.

Steam doesn't track play time while in Offline Mode.

zkylon

zkylewd
I reckon the attempted stealth/reactive playthrough with reload only on death run is the most enjoyable way to first experience a game.

DXHR I played through first as no alarms no kills and it was fine. However playing the expansion for the first time as a reactive play was so much more enjoyable to me.
Also then there's more reasons to play it again.

Let go and just roll with it :D
This is the best advice I can think of. Fuck up early, relax, and leave the OCD runs for later.

Eusis

Blink-only is actually providing a really satisfying challenge. Without stuff like Time Stop, there's no get out of jail free cards and everything has to be planned pretty well. At the same time, it doesn't feel frustrating at all. It doesn't seem like they designed the levels with level 2 Blink, or other powers in mind.
The powers are too neat for me to ignore, but it really does seem like the kind of thing you'd rather do on a replay when you're familiar with the levels.

Of course, you could probably say the same about a psychotic "murder everything" run leading up to a ghost run.

I was able to install the game on my laptop, but the damn game will not start my rig, it pisses me off. Other games install fine, except Torchlight 2 demo. What's causing all this?

Can't decide on Xbox 360 version or PC. Surround system VS shitty headphones. I'm also afraid that my Razer Deathadder Left Hand Edition will fuck up my controls and reverse the mouse buttons in strange ways. But I would get suck a pretty game on my PC!

Damn. :( Help, me GAF.

The powers are too neat for me to ignore, but it really does seem like the kind of thing you'd rather do on a replay when you're familiar with the levels.

Of course, you could probably say the same about a psychotic "murder everything" run leading up to a ghost run.

I prefer going from more-restrictive to less-restrictive. Its like training in the hyperbolic time chamber. Really tough at first, then you get out and you're a fucking beast.

Can't decide on Xbox 360 version or PC. Surround system VS shitty headphones. I'm also afraid that my Razer Deathadder Left Hand Edition will fuck up my controls and reverse the mouse buttons in strange ways. But I would get suck a pretty game on my PC!

Damn. :( Help, me GAF.

All of your PC problems are fixable. 30 FPS will always be shit.

This game is so much fun.

I finished the first mission, didn't get Ghost, but managed to not kill a single person. Unfortunately I fucked up in the prologue and didn't really feel like making a no kill run my first time through, especially since the assassinations are so much fun. I think this first playthrough will be a mix of deadly and stealthy. I don't think I have it in me to go full Rambo.

Blink is so much fun to use. Even though I have Possession and Slow Time, really, all I'm using is Blink because it's just wicked.

JambiBum

Although I had it fail to trigger during the intro too, so it's not like the game's reliable in rewarding me!
I love achievements when it comes to comparing games with friends. They are great for seeing how far your friends are so that you don't accidentally spoil anything. It's only when they confine you to a certain play style that I start to dislike them. Also they are actually worth something on the 360 now.

Mikeside

I like to ignore achievements for a first playthrough, then if I've finished the game, but it's enjoyable enough that I still want a reason to play it - that's when I look at the achievement list and decide which ones will be fun to attempt.

I like to ignore achievements for a first playthrough, then if I've finished the game, but it's enjoyable enough that I still want a reason to play it - that's when I look at the achievement list and decide which ones will be fun to attempt.

Yeah, this is how I play as well. Unless there are some really easy achievements or if they align with my playstyle anyway.

Yiorgos

Am sure this has been asked before. Do i have to be online with the vpn every time i play the game? Or just activate it with the vpn and then play normally without the vpn but still being online? Thanks

Valravn

Im getting addicted to this game. When i fuck up a mission objective or getting caught, i need to reload a previous savegame and try again. Yesterday i was playing the High Overseer mission for 2 hours. :) Im playing on hardest difficulty.

Lord Phol

How fair is the Hard difficulty? Does it provide a challenge while still giving you lots of options and ways to enjoy yourself?
I'm not particularly fond of being shoehorned into a specific playstyle.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Am sure this has been asked before. Do i have to be online with the vpn every time i play the game? Or just activate it with the vpn and then play normally without the vpn but still being online? Thanks

Truthfully I wouldnt suggest staying online with the VPN running. Just start up the offline mode. Be sure to do it while the VPN is still on, if not offline mode will not work with the game. Meaning it will still be "locked". Once in the offline mode then you can switch off the VPN.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Any work around for settings (graphics, controls, everything) resetting to default when in offline mode?
Anyone found a solution to this?

Edit: oh, VPN legal to discuss here? Cool. Cos that's the reason I want a fix for this, I don't wanna stay online with the VPN (and I only used one on trial anyway, I doubt I'll make a habit of this, but it was annoying to wait for the unlock, I bought it in EU price).

jet1911

Being able to blink while carrying a body is genius. Blink behind a guard -> choke -> loot/carry at the same time -> blink away

<3 this game :)

Solo

All these positive impressions......looking forward to getting back to it tonight to see if I was just "off" or tired or whatever, or if I'm gonna be one of the few that doesn't click with the game.

Bad7667

Being able to blink while carrying a body is genius. Blink behind a guard -> choke -> loot/carry at the same time -> blink away

<3 this game :)

Doing that is so cool. I was stuck on how to get this NPC help, in the first area. They were blocking a door so I blinked behind them just enough not to be seen. Choked his buddy out and blinked away before being seen. Blinked back in and got the other guy. Trying to do the least amount of killing as possible.

This game rewards experimenting so much. Makes you feel like such a badass. My GOTY so far.

Top Bottom