• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Solo

try harder, like it, love it

I shall not accept otherwise this is an outrage

Haha, I'll do my best. Like said last night, I've only played up until getting blink. As of that point, the world design was A+, gameplay was average, and the story was a D-.

Eusis

Haha, I'll do my best. Like said last night, I've only played up until getting blink. As of that point, the world design was A+, gameplay was average, and the story was a D-.
Yeah, the game's been warming up to that point. Your first proper mission will be when it clicks if it does.

By the way for setting resets: try rebooting the computer, didn't seem to happen to me afterwards. I also noticed it'd happen with my controller but not my keyboard, which was especially odd, try switching control schemes briefly to see if it happens with that.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
If you turn off steam cloud sync for the game, would that fix it? Oh well, unlocks properly on Friday anyway :). Great game, exploring is great.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh yay, SGSSAA seems to work. A little blurry, but better than the MLAA and FXAA options.

dis15grsy.png

eshwaaz

Only on the first mission after the tutorial, but I can't think of another game that is so visually uneven from one moment to the next (on 360). The art direction is strong and there are so many little details, but from a technical perspective it can be downright horrid. The impact of the world is so frequently compromised by some of the lowest quality textures I've seen this entire generation.

It's certainly not ruining my experience, but it is distracting. Hopefully, once the game really kicks in, I'll stop being so aware of it.

Setre

Played up until you get your first real mission and so far I'm loving the game. Story and characters are kind of weak right now but I'm sure those aspects will pick up. I really enjoyed Dark Messiah of Might and Magic so when I learned this was the same developer it was a no brainier for me to buy. Can't wait to dig deeper into Dishonored.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Being able to blink while carrying a body is genius. Blink behind a guard -> choke -> loot/carry at the same time -> blink away

<3 this game :)
Chaining these together until a room is clear is so much fun I think I may actually get arrested.

commissar

I set up my PS3 nav controller to play this.

Works really well, and as I'm playing with very few HUD options the button labels aren't distracting either :]

Having analogue movement with mouse look is so great.

Also quite pleased to find I can run it (well!) on high despite the minimum requirements being a 5850 vs my 4850. Was a little worried leading up tk launch.

Andrew.

Banned
OK so I need some assistance. I'm still on the first mission, but it's pretty overwhelming in terms of optional buildings to enter and stuff. Like, I'm pretty sure where exactly I need to go, or should go for that matter, but the amount of ways is pretty staggering. Is there anything specific I need to look for in that office building you can enter around those back alleys or the Distillery? (Which I happened to get my ass kicked immediatley in by a large group of thugs) Will I be able to enter those two areas later/do they serve an additional purpose? Should I say fuck it to those places and just focus on the mission? I'm assuming I'll be back to that area since it's where Granny is located and I knew she gives out side quests.

Sorry for the abundance of questions but I didnt get a chance to play much yesterday due to being so awestruck by the amount of options in terms of getting the job done.

jaaz

OK so I need some assistance. I'm still on the first mission, but it's pretty overwhelming in terms of optional buildings to enter and stuff. Like, I'm pretty sure where exactly I need to go, or should go for that matter, but the amount of ways is pretty staggering. Is there anything specific I need to look for in that office building you can enter around those back alleys or the Distillery? (Which I happened to get my ass kicked immediatley in by a large group of thugs) Will I be able to enter those two areas later/do they serve an additional purpose? Should I say fuck it to those places and just focus on the mission? I'm assuming I'll be back to that area since it's where Granny is located and I knew she gives out side quests.

Sorry for the abundance of questions but I didnt get a chance to play much yesterday due to being so awestruck by the amount of options in terms of getting the job done.

I am only on the first mission as well, and although it can be a bit overwhelming, it gets better as you get the lay of the land. The area looks big but it really isn't. If you want to do the side missions, I would focus on those first. The main mission is not going anywhere and doing some side missions will open up the areas to you. Do note that some Optional parts of missions will disappear if you do not do them, so if you want to complete the Optional part of the mission you need to pay attention to your Missions log and do what it tells you to do to complete the Optional part of the mission.

Th best way not to get frustrated is to realize that there is no "right way" of doing anything. The game holds your hand a little at the beginning by providing you with all of the ways around obstacles, but ultimately you choose your own path and as long as you get past the obstacle alive, you've won.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
In the Distillery,
did anyone else fill up all the empty vials with regular elixir before making the infected one? The game let me max out the health potions I don't use, then for good measure put a bone charm up on the rafters that made it more worthwhile to scrounge for food (bone charm locations are the same for everyone, but which bone charm is where is random). I also made it in and out of that entire area without being seen and only subduing one guy.

Instead of figuring out how the game needs you to act in order to advance, this one just seems to make itself more of a playground over time.
Anyone? It's the second sidequest of Granny!
So that's chapter 2? I get confused.

I'm not sure if it counts as good or bad (or plus or minus chaos) in the game. I wish I could just tell you that you get to decide whether or not it's a good thing.

The heart and I decided that enough illicit terror had been caused by the Bottle Street Gang and that Granny had the right idea after all.

Andrew.

Banned
I am only on the first mission as well, and although it can be a bit overwhelming, it gets better as you get the lay of the land. The area looks big but it really isn't. If you want to do the side missions, I would focus on those first. The main mission is not going anywhere and doing some side missions will open up the areas to you. Do note that some Optional parts of missions will disappear if you do not do them, so if you want to complete the Optional part of the mission you need to pay attention to your Missions log and do what it tells you to do to complete the Optional part of the mission.

Th best way not to get frustrated is to realize that there is no "right way" of doing anything. The game holds your hand a little at the beginning by providing you with all of the ways around obstacles, but ultimately you choose your own path and as long as you get past the obstacle alive, you've won.

All I've been able to do is rescue Griff (the old dude being trapped by those two thugs). I met Granny but I don't think shes given me anything to do yet. My only priority right now is to get past a 2nd wall of light. Is this even before any sidequests become available?

Guri

In the Distillery,
did anyone else fill up all the empty vials with regular elixir before making the infected one? The game let me max out the health potions I don't use, then for good measure put a bone charm up on the rafters that made it more worthwhile to scrounge for food (bone charm locations are the same for everyone, but which bone charm is where is random). I also made it in and out of that entire area without being seen and only subduing one guy.

Instead of figuring out how the game needs you to act in order to advance, this one just seems to make itself more of a playground over time.

So that's chapter 2? I get confused.

I'm not sure if it counts as good or bad (or plus or minus chaos) in the game. I wish I could just tell you that you get to decide whether or not it's a good thing.

The heart and I decided that enough illicit terror had been caused by the Bottle Street Gang and that Granny had the right idea after all.

I think it's chapter 2 because that's when you get the second mission, right?

I'll do it then. You're right. And maybe on a second playthrough, if I discover something different, I'll do it. Thanks!

so how does possesion work in this game? do you have a limited time in the body and then reappear where your body was? Or does your body then appear wherever the power ends?

also its time limited right?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think it's chapter 2 because that's when you get the second mission, right?

I'll do it then. You're right. And maybe on a second playthrough, if I discover something different, I'll do it. Thanks!
No problem! I definitely think making decisions like this is the way to go for the first playthrough, consequences be damned (or embraced). Then for subsequent playthroughs, play with the variables and see what happens.

If there's one problem I have with the game it would have to be how confusing it makes talking about "the first mission."
KuGsj.gif

I consider the first mission the first mission given to you in the plot, and what came before that the prologue mission.
What do you mean what? I met her in her house. She talked to me for a bit, some dudes came to her front door and I ran upstairs and avoided fighting them...unless Im supposed to dispose of them?
"Supposed to" is sort of a tricky territory with this game. You can do whatever you want. But did you catch what she asked you to do? You can always check your journal for quest objectives.

Eusis

so how does possesion work in this game? do you have a limited time in the body and then reappear where your body was? Or does your body then appear wherever the power ends?
Latter. That's why it mentions MERGING with the flesh of another, your spirit doesn't leave your body so much as your whole being invades another.

And yeah, I went ahead and
poisoned the distillery
, completed the mission and was still at low chaos. And also no kills from when the AI snapped and assaulted a thug! Might've been the same situation with
the two Overseers killing the one that had either a cold or the plague.

Andrew.

Banned
"Supposed to" is sort of a tricky territory with this game. You can do whatever you want. But did you catch what she asked you to do? You can always check your journal for quest objectives.

Crap. See this is why Im gonna have to start the mission over again. I don't recall what she told me.

Interfectum

Love the game so far. Only complaint I have is the story is a bit overwhelming to get into at first but I figure it will get better over time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The thugs in front of her house? Go around and remember that the other two will notice you if you take down one.
sleep darts
I just
hit one with a dart during his little spiel about how silly I looked, blinked past the other two onto the street, tranqed the next, blinked up to a pipe or something and tranqed the third. Carried one in and put him in Granny's sink for proof.

Love the game so far. Only complaint I have is the story is a bit overwhelming to get into at first but I figure it will get better over time.
Once I got into the hub area, I was wondering what exactly they expect me as a player to do when presented with a bunch of books and characters with dialogue that doesn't loop. I get caught up in talking to everyone and reading everything that all the gossip, fictional writing excerpts, world lore, and whatever else just starts tefloning out of my memory. Talking to characters in particular looks hilarious because I'm compelled to hear everything they have to say so whenever they go to turn around and continue their walk cycle I feel like I'm there tapping them on the shoulder and then giving them a look to suggest "Tell me more".

I only had time to play through the prison section and some of the first mission but I am really enjoying it so far. I think I'll be going for the no alerts and no kills achievements. Since I shouldn't need any weapons, I'll continue playing with the UI and crosshair disabled. It's glorious.

I did experiment a bit during the prison section with drop assassinations and such, and I haven't even unlocked any powers yet so I may not be able to resist the urge to kill, but we'll see.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Once I got into the hub area, I was wondering what exactly they expect me as a player to do when presented with a bunch of books and characters with dialogue that doesn't loop. I get caught up in talking to everyone and reading everything that all the gossip, fictional writing excerpts, world lore, and whatever else just starts tefloning out of my memory. Talking to characters in particular looks hilarious because I'm compelled to hear everything they have to say so whenever they go to turn around and continue their walk cycle I feel like I'm there tapping them on the shoulder and then giving them a look to suggest "Tell me more".
I hope you've already discovered what
the heart
can do. How anyone could finish this game in under 6 hours is simply beyond me.
Since I shouldn't need any weapons, I'll continue playing with the UI and crosshair disabled. It's glorious.
Hell yes!

I just
hit one with a dart during his little spiel about how silly I looked, blinked past the other two onto the street, tranqed the next, blinked up to a pipe or something and tranqed the third. Carried one in and put him in Granny's sink for proof.

:lol awesome

Yeah, I was going for a ghost rating. Didn't make it though, someone in the Overseer Office must have seen me :(

I hope you've already discovered what
the heart
can do. How anyone could finish this game in under 6 hours is simply beyond me.
If you're talking about
getting info on the area, and about specific people
then yes, I've been doing a lot of that whenever I could. In fact that's another kind of hilarious and weird game-y thing because
you just get it all of a sudden, so I'm in the pub holding this beating heart with jutting metal and cogs in it and no one's batting an eyelash. "Oh that Corvo and his devices." Though just like the objective markers, once I saw what the heart markers looked like I disabled them immediately. Not satisfying being directly pointed to things.

TheExodu5

Banned

At that point...yeah that sounds about right. The game opens up in a much better way after that.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/i...honored-without-shedding-drop-blood-1C6327490

Which supernatural powers you choose and upgrade will play a big part in how violently or non-violently you play the game. For example, you probably don't want to choose Devouring Swarm, which lets you sick a swarm of hungry rats on your enemies. Instead, Colantonio advises that you increase your Blink (teleportation) power to level 2 and select Possession as your second supernatural power.

"Possession is our escape card in case you get caught," he explains. "You can just take possession of your enemy and they will forget about you as you possess them. It’s a very nice non-lethal tool."

sorry if this has been mentioned but the game store in brighton is selling this tonight, two days early for the uk, between 6-7pm. no idea why but maybe give your local store a call?

Andrew.

Banned
Wait you don't have to do that, just look at your journal o.o

Yeah I know but Ive already killed a shit ton of guys and I dont want to screw up my chaos meter too bad for the endgame. I know, I know, it's only the first mission. This game can tend to bring the worst out in us OCDers

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Crossbow is pure win. Sucks that I'm doing a stealth playthrough. Shooting a guy in the leg and watching him try to remove the arrow is glorious.

And yeah the guy below got hit by an arrow...

jaaz

Okay, I have to say it: Blink is overpowered, especially after you upgrade it. Blink to get in position behind Overseer, takedown, hide body, rinse and repeat. I haven't even spent any other runes yet. I'm on the first mission playing on Hard and I pretty much feel unstoppable. I'm maxed on health elixiris and mana and haven't used one. I hope it gets harder.

Arsin

Quick question, are there any side quests that will force me to kill someone? I have not done the quest yet,
but the one where I have to "poision" the gang in the first mission
. Would doing that quest make it so that I would not get a kill-less run?

The game is very high quality, it's just not clicking for me. And I think that's because I don't feel comfortable with the controls & mechanics yet. (I've assassinated the first target.) I just feel very clumsy and don't feel like I can reliably do what I want. I didn't feel this way at all in Deus Ex. But there were plenty of places where you could move and run without worrying about detection in Deus Ex. I haven't felt that way in Dishonored.

Is there a good place to practice blinking/attacking/etc?

The other thing is that I crouchwalk everywhere. Any advice on how much to do that?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If you're talking about
getting info on the area, and about specific people
then yes, I've been doing a lot of that whenever I could. In fact that's another kind of hilarious and weird game-y thing because
you just get it all of a sudden, so I'm in the pub holding this beating heart with jutting metal and cogs in it and no one's batting an eyelash. "Oh that Corvo and his devices."
That is hilarious. I like to
cycle through everything the heart can tell me about someone before leaving them, so there's just like this psycho with a heart and blade following someone around silently.

Contrivances aside, I love the heart. I love that there's a perfectly sensible, in-universe way that you can rapidly determine the extent to which you can trust a new character. I love that it gives you a way to make an informed decision about whether someone deserves to live or die. I love that its comments seem to focus on someone's most egregious secrets, or what they're currently thinking about. I love that you can ignore it completely if you want, killing without regard when a few seconds of effort would have informed Corvo that the fellow had two scared children at home. I love that characters that seem fairly flat early on in the story have already been given texture though its use (
Piero
is such a perv, damn.

The more voice work I realize they've recorded for it, the more impressed I am. Plot and elsewise script aside, it's such a brilliant narrative layer that I almost feel like it's too good to be true occurring in a game with such already nearly-flawless gameplay.
Okay, I have to say it: Blink is overpowered, especially after you upgrade it. Blink to get in position behind Overseer, takedown, hide body, rinse and repeat. I haven't even spent any other runes yet. I'm on the first mission playing on Hard and I pretty much feel unstoppable. I'm maxed on health elixiris and mana and haven't used one. I hope it gets harder.
Playing on Very Hard, see my general thoughts on this topic, generally agreeing with you. The challenge is definitely what you make it.

Top Bottom