• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Derrick01

Banned
The game is very high quality, it's just not clicking for me. And I think that's because I don't feel comfortable with the controls & mechanics yet. (I've assassinated the first target.) I just feel very clumsy and don't feel like I can reliably do what I want. I didn't feel this way at all in Deus Ex. But there were plenty of places where you could move and run without worrying about detection in Deus Ex. I haven't felt that way in Dishonored.

Is there a good place to practice blinking/attacking/etc?

The other thing is that I crouchwalk everywhere. Any advice on how much to do that?

You don't have to crouchwalk if you're on a roof somewhere as long as there aren't any other guards up there. Other than that I take it pretty slow and blink everywhere.

IronRinn

Just to compare, Downsample from 3200x1800 to 1920x1080, 70 + fps with gtx 670.

iddSoKyog2IKx.png

How are you downsampling?

Edit: Never mind, Google is my friend.

Lusankya

Ah, what a great game. I can't understand how people finish this game in 5 hours? I just completed the first real mission and that alone took me more than 5 hours. :D
I don't even play on very hard, just on hard, but I do a complete stealth and no kill run, without using any upgrades besides Blink Lvl. 1.

Well, I also play without quest markers and it took me ages to find (mission 1 spoiler)
the hiding spot for that guy I should save

ScOULaris

Okay, I have to say it: Blink is overpowered, especially after you upgrade it. Blink to get in position behind Overseer, takedown, hide body, rinse and repeat. I haven't even spent any other runes yet. I'm on the first mission playing on Hard and I pretty much feel unstoppable. I'm maxed on health elixiris and mana and haven't used one. I hope it gets harder.

I'm still on the first mission, getting runes and such, but I think I'll need to invest in upgrading blink. So far I spent my runes on Dark Vision Lvl 1 and Slow Time Lvl 1. The first level of Blink simply doesn't go as far as I'd like.

This game is amazing. Easily GOTY so far.

If I help out the other guys will Granny hate me? What will I miss out on? It seems to be the only way to go non lethal.

GorillaJu

The ability that incinerates bodies immediately if you kill them unawares is awesome. Makes it easier to take out pairs of enemies who are sticking close together.

Why are there indicators for magical artifacts when the heart should be used to do the same. I'm all for options but I don't see Rockstar putting icons on all pigeons to make them easier to find.

Jb

Why are there indicators for magical artifacts when the heart should be used to do the same. I'm all for options but I don't see Rockstar putting icons on all pigeons to make them easier to find.

Because shooting pigeons in GTA was worthless, while there's actually a strong incentive for most players to go after runes in this game.

There's an app out this morning that has maps of every level with the collectibles. From Touch Arcade:

975972_larger-150x150.png

Getting lost to Arkane Studios' Dishonored is a problem. For example, instead of writing up this post immediately, we've been playing Dishonored. But getting lost in the game will never be a problem; Its official map app, which displays just about anything you could want, has us covered pretty well.

After grabbing it earlier this morning, Dishonored Official Map App [$2.99] is proving to be a solid companion piece. It has layouts for every level in the game and lists everything that can be collected. As the user, you can also cross off what items you've picked up, so things don't get too messy.

mzl.aijodisn.640x960-75-525x350.jpg
mzl.dvzkrhwd.640x960-75-525x350.jpg

Because shooting pigeons in GTA was worthless, while there's actually a strong incentive for most players to go after runes in this game.

Okay, wrong analogy. The heart itself is the gameplay aspect that lets you find it those objects. Why is there something in the game that makes you feel like you're cheating? And yes, I can turn it off. But why make me doubt about some aspect that has no place in the game.

I'd rather they had implemented some preset combination per difficulty level instead of turning everything to max.

Midou

Okay, wrong analogy. The heart itself is the gameplay aspect that lets you find it those objects. Why is there something in the game that makes you feel like you're cheating? And yes, I can turn it off. But why make me doubt about some aspect that has no place in the game.

I'd rather they had implemented some preset combination per difficulty level instead of turning everything to max.

I think the best reason to have the heart is to know if you're going to miss something important by skipping an area to which you don't need to go. For example, if task A is in one room and task B is in another, and completing task B means you don't need to complete task A, and you don't want to risk guards or something where task A is, at least you can know there is nothing super important there.

Really loving the game so far, playing it on PS3. I think the visuals are quite nice, and the world is a very beautiful place to roam and wreak havoc.

Only comment and concern, hoping someone can chime in, do you guys notice the game being kind of high in contrast?

No matter how I tweak my TV settings, PS3, or even the game, the visuals tend to have a high contrast which makes the shadows very light. It kind of detracts from the dark atmosphere somewhat.

The settings I use for this game on my TV go terribly with other games. Even the screenshots people are taking seem to demonstrate the high contrast being just part of the game. Anyhow, let me know what you guys think.

I think the best reason to have the heart is to know if you're going to miss something important by skipping an area to which you don't need to go. For example, if task A is in one room and task B is in another, and completing task B means you don't need to complete task A, and you don't want to risk guards or something where task A is, at least you can know there is nothing super important there.

I didn't mean that the heart itself was cheating, just that the graphical overlay (showing all the objects) feels like it is. The heart in itself is awesome.

Midou

I didn't mean that the heart itself was cheating, just that the graphical overlay (showing all the objects) feels like it is. The heart in itself is awesome.

True enough. Perhaps simply keeping the beating heart and turning off the actual points would be good.

I mentioned earlier, I feel the quest markers and such are a bit too much, but at the same time, the game does not give you any proper direction in which to know where you should go without the markers. I mean sometimes you overhear things, but they aren't specific enough to know where to find something yourself.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
While I've turned off nearly every UI element, I find that aspect simply to be the heart's ability to point you in the general direction of runes and bone charms even from great distances. I'll pull the heart out in a new area and get a general sense of something to head toward, then won't check again until I think I'm very close.

Doing it this way doesn't feel so much like cheating to me. The game establishes that the heart is meant to lead you right to these things. Objective markers on the other hand are absolutely meaningless and inexplicable; it's not even like the kind of "your guide directing you via earpiece went ahead and put that on your HUD for you, Jensen!" style, it's just a pure gameplay contrivance.

edit: A key distinction of course is that the markers only show up when you have the heart equipped, and disappear when you put it away.

Also, once you've gotten them all in an area nothing will show up any longer when you pull out the heart. I like that feeling.

Arsin

Quick question, are there any side quests that will force me to kill someone? I have not done the quest yet,
but the one where I have to "poision" the gang in the first mission
. Would doing that quest make it so that I would not get a kill-less run?

Posting again for the new page.

So far this game is like beating the same 6 year old at checkers over and over and over again...and, because it's a stealth game, it's not even fun like speed checkers but slow and methodical and thus feels repetitive. It's the exact opposite of rewarding, and sure, it might be a pride boost the first time you win a game of checkers against somebody that doesn't stand a chance, but the 30th time?

I understand there are many ways to go about somethiing, but they all boil down to beating that 6 year old again and they all boil down to the same stealth ideas that have been established and played out years ago. Which, by the way, to make matters worse, is fundamentally gathered around a 6 year old AI I feel like I've already played a thousand times before in other games as well. I mean, they act EXACTLY as predicted if you ever played a stealth game before in your life.

Yes, I have more powers than I usually have in a game like this, but they get old and repetitive as well because of how damn straightforward they are and how damn straightforward the AI is. You can give Ryu new moves in the next Street Fighter iteration, but if the opponents don't block, who cares?

And the story: let's just say it's definitely a game made in 2012. They spent more time establishing that canal locks exist than establishing any of the characters I'm supposed to be hating, avenging or caring for. And yet, they try, they try like every modern game tries. At the end of the day, my motivation: zilch. Errand boy, that's me, from quest numero uno even after wasting so much time with story.

I guess I'm enjoying finding runes more than anything else at this point because then I might unlock something and play with it for 5 minutes, realize it's rather straightforward function on the next couple of AI clones, and get some enjoyment out of that. Too bad there are so many clone enemies in my way in the process that slows the exploratory pacing to a crawl.

I knew the game lost me when I got caught after the AI turned around at the worst possible time and said, "screw it" and just sword fought a house full of enemies as they charged in and was relieved to do so. Now I could go explore and enjoy the atmosphere without interruption. In that sense, when some people said this game was like Bioshock, I have to agree with them but probably in a way they weren't even thinking about.

I'll stick with it, but I don't really know how much longer.

So far this game is like beating the same 6 year old at checkers over and over and over again...and, because it's a stealth game, it's not even fun like speed checkers but slow and methodical and thus feels repetitive. It's the exact opposite of rewarding, and sure, it might be a pride boost the first time you win a game of checkers against somebody that doesn't stand a chance, but the 30th time?

I understand there are many ways to go about somethiing, but they all boil down to beating that 6 year old again and they all boil down to the same stealth ideas that have been established and played out years ago. Which, by the way, to make matters worse, is fundamentally gathered around a 6 year old AI I feel like I've already played a thousand times before in other games as well. I mean, they act EXACTLY as predicted if you ever played a stealth game before in your life.

Yes, I have more powers than I usually have in a game like this, but they get old and repetitive as well because of how damn straightforward they are and how damn straightforward the AI is. You can give Ryu new moves in the next Street Fighter iteration, but if the opponents don't block, who cares?

And the story: let's just say it's definitely a game made in 2012. They spent more time establishing that canal locks exist than establishing any of the characters I'm supposed to be hating, avenging or caring for. And yet, they try, they try like every modern game tries. At the end of the day, my motivation: zilch. Errand boy, that's me, from quest numero uno even after wasting so much time with story.

I guess I'm enjoying finding runes more than anything else at this point because then I might unlock something and play with it for 5 minutes, realize it's rather straightforward function on the next couple of AI clones, and get some enjoyment out of that. Too bad there are so many clone enemies in my way in the process that slows the exploratory pacing to a crawl.

I knew the game lost me when I got caught after the AI turned around at the worst possible time and said, "screw it" and just sword fought a house full of enemies as they charged in and was relieved to do so. Now I could go explore and enjoy the atmosphere without interruption. In that sense, when some people said this game was like Bioshock, I have to agree with them but probably in a way they weren't even thinking about.

I hope I never end up like this. :(

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
i just started playing since i didnt have time last night

why didnt anybody warn me about the rats D:

I thought the developers did a real good job with showing you why swarms of rats are to be avoided. The way events played out in the
sewers
installed into my brain that you needed to avoid them like the plaque.

In fact, I personally think Arkane did an amazing job with the little details in general.

Downhome

I have ignored everything about this game until today. I didn't even know it existed for the most part until recently, and certainly had no clue what it was about, much less it would get great reviews.

I assume I should now take notice and put it on my "to buy" list, correct?

neoism

awh man. fucking stealth cheevo headache starts again. Im 99 percent sure I went through the first mission without being seen yet I didnt recieve the "ghost" reward :/

really dont feel like replaying the whole thing just to get that, but I wanted to get that achievement out of the way on the first playthrough. Talk about annoying

THIS IS DEUS EX HR ALL OVER AGAIN

<3 so glad I stopped caring about cheevo's lol.... I'm loving the books and notes... read a shit load in mission two... just like all the computers in Deus Ex

Thrakier

So they pulled off a "Bioshock", meaning mediocre game mechanichs set in a great (world) design? That's what I expected after seing the videos. well, maybe stealth just isn't my genre.

SJRB

Gold Member
Downloading the EU version off of Steam right now. Is it still possible to do the location trick and play this early or did I screw myself by getting the EU version?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

All valid criticisms, but I can't help but feel like this just isn't the game for you. If you don't enjoy the stealth system here (or maybe stealth games in general), and choose to abandon the stealth method in Dishonored, then I would imagine the game just wouldn't be that fun. AI in stealth games is a problem, period. Splinter Cell, Metal Gear, Dues Ex, etc. all have this problem. Actually, I feel like Dishonored has approved upon this a bit with less predictable routes and changes to said routes after deaths. But, nonetheless, I could see how it might not be acceptable for some people.

As for your story complaints, I can't remember a heavily gameplay-focused game since Portal 2 to where I actually gave a shit about the story and/or characters. What I can say that Dishonored has going for it is how they have built and immersed the gamer inside its world with a major focus on the smaller details. Story aside, it is very Valve-ish effort in that regard.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I understand what you're getting at.

Do you have any thoughts on what you would do to improve it then? What would it take to solve this problem? It seems to be a serious problem indeed.

I don't feel there are enough of these games to begin with so I'm still enjoying it regardless of those issues.

I'm not sure what kind of challenge you are looking for. A lot of directions would lead directly to serious trial and error gameplay. How do you avoid trial and error while still presenting an increasing challenge and genuinely interesting AI?

neoism

Go to C:\Users\Name\Documents\MyGames\Dishonored\DishonoredGame\Config and open the file labeled DishonoredEngine.ini.
bUseMaxQualityMode=True – This removes shadows on non-static objects, and glitches up the specular shading on water at certain angles. Leave it FALSE.
TextureForcedLODBias=4 – High number means lower detailed LOD’s will be loaded at a closer distance than normal. Leave it 0. (Making it a negative number might even make the highest detailed LOD’s last for longer distances, like -2)
bAllowHardwareShadowFiltering=True – Yup, good.
SkeletalLODDistanceFactorMultiplier=4 – Same as TextureForcedLod, put 0.
iType_AntiAlias=32 – This isn’t an antialiasing multiplier. This is a switch for AA modes. It even says it beside the line in the dev comment. (EPpAa_None=0, EPpAa_Mlaa=1,). And if EPpAa_Fxaa= is 2, then that is ignored anyways and FXAA is used.
bAllowRatsShadow=True – Yup, good.
MaxAnisotropy=16 – Yup, good. I’d put it up to 32 if you have the power.
ShadowFilterQualityBias=4 – Bad, same as texturelod. Put 0.
MaxShadowResolution=4096 – Good.
MaxWholeSceneDominantShadowResolution=4096 – Good

Derrick01

Banned
Finished the 2nd level. I don't think I tried as hard on this one since it was the demo level and I had seen most things already. It still seemed to be a well made area though.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
The old granny, any consequence to stealing the rune in her basement? Is it the one she's supposed to give you further on and will be pissed off if you steal it? I dont want to mess with that granny..

Davedough

The old granny, any consequence to stealing the rune in her basement? Is it the one she's supposed to give you further on and will be pissed off if you steal it? I dont want to mess with that granny..

I looted the crap out of her room and she still just rambles on about her birds.

mephixto

Banned
Does the game feature any sort of ambient occlusion ?

I think it lacks something to the graphics...

I was checking the .ini file yesterday and there is a line with the option on False, but I'm not sure if it does anything.

C:\Users\Name\Documents\MyGames\Dishonored\DishonoredGame\Config\DishonoredEngine.ini.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely loving the game, but am I the only one who feels like all of the characters should be speaking with British accents?

In all of the coverage I saw leading up to the game, I imagined all of the characters speaking like Brits. It was a bit of a surprise when I first started the game and found them all to be American-sounding.

Davedough

Absolutely loving the game, but am I the only one who feels like all of the characters should be speaking with British accents?

In all of the coverage I saw leading up to the game, I imagined all of the characters speaking like Brits. It was a bit of a surprise when I first started the game and found them all to be American-sounding.

I thought that at first, but then realized it'd be entirely too obvious. I like the fact that its a fictitious world that doesn't necessarily always stick to cliches.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

They should, or maybe a mix of European, the American accents don't fit at all.

Eideka

Banned
I was checking the .ini file yesterday and there is a line with the option on False, but I'm not sure if it does anything.

C:\Users\Name\Documents\MyGames\Dishonored\DishonoredGame\Config\DishonoredEngine.ini.

Great find, It seems to do something but it's barely noticeable.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
If I had a life I would be all over this, but again engineering is like "Lol fuck no".

Top Bottom