• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

jaaz

My only issue with turning off the objective marker is that sometimes you might cross that invisible line that starts the main mission before you meant to, and you end up failing to complete the optional mission. It happened to me during the first mission. I re-loaded a quick save.

Really loving the game so far, playing it on PS3. I think the visuals are quite nice, and the world is a very beautiful place to roam and wreak havoc.

Only comment and concern, hoping someone can chime in, do you guys notice the game being kind of high in contrast?

No matter how I tweak my TV settings, PS3, or even the game, the visuals tend to have a high contrast which makes the shadows very light. It kind of detracts from the dark atmosphere somewhat.

The settings I use for this game on my TV go terribly with other games. Even the screenshots people are taking seem to demonstrate the high contrast being just part of the game. Anyhow, let me know what you guys think.

This. That´s just how the game looks. But i agree, the game is very bright. At first i even thought the game´s brightness got wrongly adjusted by the devs, because everything looked so washed out.

Has anyone gotten this game to work on Windows XP? It says it's not supported, but it's a DX9 game, so it should be possible? I also found a video on youtube from a guy who says he's running in on XP, but maybe he made a mistake.

edit: Just found out it does work on XP, but no driver support.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So far this game is like beating the same 6 year old at checkers over and over and over again...
I'm not sure if there's anything that could change your opinion or experience; it's perfectly possible that it's just not the game for you.

Still, I'm gonna throw this out on the stoop and see if the cat licks it up.

Reading your post I got the impression that you're playing the way that you feel you're supposed to, succeeding, but being bored doing it. Then when you said "screw it" and just killed everyone recklessly, you were "relieved" and were able to just explore the environment at your leisure and get more enjoyment from it.

Why not just play the way you want to play from the outset- if you don't have fun playing with the stealth elements, just face enemies head on and keep killing until there's no one left.

You can focus on the new powers that give you more things to do in combat and blink offensively. Then you won't have to "play checkers" anymore at all, and you might like the game you start playing instead better?

Muffdraul

My only issue with turning off the objective marker is that sometimes you might cross that invisible line that starts the main mission before you meant to, and you end up failing to complete the optional mission. It happened to me during the first mission. I re-loaded a quick save.

I turned it off, but I wish they had something similar to Dead Space, where if you want to know which way you need to go in order to progress, all you have to do is press a button and get a pointer that disappears as soon as you stop pressing. As opposed to- open the Main menu, go to the Options menu, go to the User Interface menu, activate the marker, close the menu, look at the marker... open the Main menu, go to the Options menu, go to the User Interface menu, deactivate the marker, close the menu.

Salsa

well seeing how I failed to go for the shadow achievement I played the golden cat fast and loose without bothering too much if anybody saw me

turns out no one did and I got ghost

the fuck

I just got blink and the dark vision, and I'm starting to think these two powers don't fit in stealth games, they are just way over powered and take away a lot of tension. I was really enjoying that tutorial intro/prison section but I'm not feeling the change of pace.

Salsa

I just got blink and the dark vision, and I'm starting to think these two powers don't fit in stealth games, they are just way over powered and take away a lot of tension. I was really enjoying that tutorial intro/prison section but I'm not feeling the change of pace.

game is designed around blink, you'll have no trouble after a bit

aeolist

Banned
Dark Vision I don't think I'm going to bother with, seems like it would make the stealth too easy and isn't really necessary if you pay attention.

Salsa

Dark Vision I don't think I'm going to bother with, seems like it would make the stealth too easy and isn't really necessary if you pay attention.

it doesnt show you enemies you havent recently seen without it

as in, if you just enter an area and use it, it wont show you shit cause you dont know where the enemies are

Davedough

it doesnt show you enemies you havent recently seen without it

as in, if you just enter an area and use it, it wont show you shit cause you dont know where the enemies are

I'm not sure this is the case. It has a range on it and only sees enemies within that range. i've had plenty of times where I go into a new area, click on that spell and see someone I haven't physically looked at yet because they were in range.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Re: Dark Vision, I use it to see when someone on the other side of a door has his back turned.
Satch said:
im fucking nightcrawler with a sword, man
So Nightcrawler, hehe :p
nZYr7.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just look through the keyhole?
I dunno if you're suggesting it theoretically or that's actually what you do but you'll find it's quite limited in comparison :p
I still need to invest in Possession and upgrade my Agility and Blink to 2
Blink upgrade is cheap and crucial, buy it early, love it, never look back.

KingKong

Do they give you a lot of runes in the other levels?

There are 7 on the first level, so I already upgraded my Blink to level 2 and I'm 1 away from buying possession and I've only been doing side stuff so far. Shit, the granny sidequest gives you 3 runes by itself

Davedough

I dunno if you're suggesting it theoretically or that's actually what you do but you'll find it's quite limited in comparison :p

Blink upgrade is cheap and crucial, buy it early, love it, never look back.

I'm wishing I upgraded blink early. I've got level 1 of Blink, Dark Eyes, Possession, Deadly Swarm, Health and Bend Time. In hindsight, I should have skipped Deadly Swarm and Health and put it into Blink 2.

Jack_AG

Banned
I turned it off, but I wish they had something similar to Dead Space, where if you want to know which way you need to go in order to progress, all you have to do is press a button and get a pointer that disappears as soon as you stop pressing. As opposed to- open the Main menu, go to the Options menu, go to the User Interface menu, activate the marker, close the menu, look at the marker... open the Main menu, go to the Options menu, go to the User Interface menu, deactivate the marker, close the menu.
You can turn objective markers on/off from the mission menu on a per-mission level without going into the options menu.

So say you want a quick clue on a main objective but not an optional objective - you can toggle each objective on/off individually quickly from the objective log.

Derrick01

Banned
Once you have dark vision its hard to look through peepholes again.

I make myself not use it since it's basically what I complain about in games like the new Hitman with its instinct mode. It's more badass to look through a keyhole with the chance that some guard will come up on you if you take too long. That's what happened to me at the Golden Cat when I was spying on a target.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I got Bend Time, which is awesome but I was saddened that it never recharges at all. Definitely a "I need to do something big and make it count" ability.
I make myself not use it since it's basically what I complain about in games like the new Hitman with its instinct mode. It's more badass to look through a keyhole with the chance that some guard will come up on you if you take too long. That's what happened to me at the Golden Cat when I was spying on a target.
By the way, this is a great example of the kind of thing everyone playing this game should consider. The design is all about making your own fun and if a self-imposed limitation is going to help you toward that end, do it. I'm really hoping I can make it through the game on Very Hard without using a health potion.

edit: When I maxed out and there was another one on the ground, I drank one to free up the slot, so I'd miss out on an achievement for it if there was one. Bummer, but I can't bring myself to care that much :p

Davedough

I got Bend Time, which is awesome but I was saddened that it never recharges at all. Definitely a "I need to do something big and make it count" ability.

By the way, this is a great example of the kind of thing everyone playing this game should consider. The design is all about making your own fun and if a self-imposed limitation is going to help you toward that end, do it. I'm really hoping I can make it through the game on Very Hard without using a health potion.

I think making Bend Time recharge would be way too overpowered. You could daisy chain kills throughout the board with Blink/Bend Time

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think making Bend Time recharge would be way too overpowered. You could daisy chain kills throughout the board with Blink/Bend Time
I thought it might recharge slowly and partially, such that you could get two uses of it (not immediately after one another) before using a mana potion. But, an assassin perseveres

Muffdraul

You can turn objective markers on/off from the mission menu on a per-mission level without going into the options menu.

So say you want a quick clue on a main objective but not an optional objective - you can toggle each objective on/off individually quickly from the objective log.

I tried that, but it didn't activate the marker. Maybe it was because I had it turned off in the options menu, I'll try it again tonight.

So far, my favorite moment in the game was me showing up at Granny's house, and then using Bend Time to
nail all three of the goons in front of her house right after I opened the door, and all three fell asleep before any of them could draw a weapon.

This game is great because it gives you the tools to become a badass, but it's your choice on how you use them and so each moment feels like your own, instead of some scripted badassery.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So far, my favorite moment in the game was me showing up at Granny's house, and then using Bend Time to
nail all three of the goons in front of her house right after I opened the door, and all three fell asleep before any of them could draw a weapon.

This game is great because it gives you the tools to become a badass, but it's your choice on how you use them and so each moment feels like your own, instead of some scripted badassery.

Hell yeah. Here's how I handled that moment.

edit: How perfect is the reaction of your standard goon enemy when you blink? They nailed that in my opinion. Cannot imagine how fucking startling that would be.

Badgerst3

Hell yeah. Here's how I handled that moment.

edit: How perfect is the reaction of your standard goon enemy when you blink? They nailed that in my opinion. Cannot imagine how fucking startling that would be.

I want to read this, but, dumb question-

How do I read spoilers on an iPad? Always wondered. Never had the nerve to ask.

Btw- I like bending time and getting behind an enemy to choke them out.

I just
hit one with a dart during his little spiel about how silly I looked, blinked past the other two onto the street, tranqed the next, blinked up to a pipe or something and tranqed the third. Carried one in and put him in Granny's sink for proof.

LOLOLOLOL genius

aeolist

Banned
Blink really is the star of the game, from the way they make it feel to the visual effect to the NPC reactions. Getting spotted by a guard and teleporting behind him to choke him out before his alertness reaches level 3 will never get old.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Thats really my only problem with the game. It happened to me too but i honestly just didnt feel like re doing everything since i started on hardest difficulty and it took a while to get the hang of it all

I am only at the second mission in that amount of time??? You guys are playing this wrong.

All my missions had low casualties so I wasn't just killing everyone and rushing through it. Except one which was high casualties because I screwed up a bit lol. Not sure how you are still in the 2nd mission at 7hours...

Davedough

I was having a hard time linking skills together like I saw in one of their launch trailers. I tried to do the possession + springtrap and I cant do anything once I'm a rat.

All my missions had low casualties so I wasn't just killing everyone and rushing through it. Except one which was high casualties because I screwed up a bit lol. Not sure how you are still in the 2nd mission at 7hours...

Yeah at first I was restarting but I just said whatever and ran away a lot of the time if seen.

branny

I was having a hard time linking skills together like I saw in one of their launch trailers. I tried to do the possession + springtrap and I cant do anything once I'm a rat.
In that video, I think they put the springtrap on top of the rat before possessing it. :p

Once you have dark vision its hard to look through peepholes again.

Just finished the Sokolov mission on my second play-through going for a no kill run on very hard without Dark Vision and it is much better. First time through I depended on the power way too much. Second time through I've yet to pick it up and it makes for a much more tense gameplay experience.

Upgrade blink plus possession is awesome.

I still haven't put much hands on time with Stop/Bend time. I recognize it's use, I just find myself not using it. Maybe on a 3rd playthrough.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Blink really is the star of the game, from the way they make it feel to the visual effect to the NPC reactions. Getting spotted by a guard and teleporting behind him to choke him out before his alertness reaches level 3 will never get old.
They really did nail it. It's great because the kinetic, "I am moving rapidly forward" feel of the blink is only experienced by you- from an NPC's perspective you just disappear, you could be anywhere.

One thing I wish they cribbed from the Arkham games: when I start blinking all over taking people out silently, I wish the remaining ones would start to get a little nervous, noticing their numbers dwindling, and then the last one finally break down in terror. As it stands it seems like the last living guard has no qualms being just as ferocious alone as he was in a group of 4 comrades that have all suddenly and quietly gone missing.
Did you do all the side missions? I'll definitely pass 7 hours during the second mission as well myself.
I want to read this, but, dumb question-

How do I read spoilers on an iPad? Always wondered. Never had the nerve to ask.

Btw- I like bending time and getting behind an enemy to choke them out.
Are you on http://m.neogaf.com? If so, just tap them.

Top Bottom