• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

I understand what you're getting at.

Do you have any thoughts on what you would do to improve it then? What would it take to solve this problem? It seems to be a serious problem indeed.

I don't feel there are enough of these games to begin with so I'm still enjoying it regardless of those issues.

I'm not sure what kind of challenge you are looking for. A lot of directions would lead directly to serious trial and error gameplay. How do you avoid trial and error while still presenting an increasing challenge and genuinely interesting AI?

This is sort of what I was getting at when I mentioned the game has flaws before it was released after my initial playthrough. Characters are not built up well and before you know it gone, out of the picture, or never fully developed. The game play, with missions being open ended is a lot of fun and the devs should be commended on giving players so many options. Though I think its up to the player to define their play experience. If your tired of just sneaking, add some killing in there, etc. I can say my first time through I did a little bit of stealth and more action and killing. I'm replaying it now. Totally stealth, and I'm playing it completely different then I did the first time. Seeing different things, having a different mentality with it then before. Also it's taking me much longer to play. I'll easily play longer then 9 hours this time. This is a pretty rare experience for me in gaming, and I'm sure if I played it again, I could have an even different experience again game play wise. The tools are there for this. Where the game falls short is story, characters, and a feeling of a great build up that sort of falls short of the mark. The game is definitely something special though imo, just some people will really not appreciate the issues it has and will prevent them from feeling Dishonored more greater aspects.

Derrick01

Banned
All my missions had low casualties so I wasn't just killing everyone and rushing through it. Except one which was high casualties because I screwed up a bit lol. Not sure how you are still in the 2nd mission at 7hours...

I'm only on the third mission in the 7-9 hour range. Exploring for the win.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've haven't raged this hard at a game in years.

I hate this game. I keep on playing, and some moments are breath taking and genius, but on the whole the experience is insanely frustrating. I'm on the verge of returning it to the store.

I've haven't raged this hard at a game in years.

I hate this game. I keep on playing, and some moments are breath taking and genius, but on the whole the experience is insanely frustrating. I'm on the verge of returning it to the store.

What's the problem? And what difficulty are you playing it on?

aeolist

Banned
Yeah if anything the game seems too easy. I turned off most of the interface and am playing on Hard but they give you such great tools to exploit that nothing is very difficult.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
What's the problem? And what difficulty are you playing it on?
It's so good in so many ways, but I just can't get comfortable with it. I feel like the dude is wearing clown shoes or something. The thing is, though, is that it feels like it's that way by design. The feeling of clamoring over every tiny ledge is supposed to be fun, but I find it annoying as hell. I feel like 10 years of playing Halo has conditioned me to smooth, simplified movement, and it's hard for me to adjust to other movement styles. I don't expect to feel like a super soldier in every video game, but I also don't want to constantly get caught on ledges. So... yeah, maybe this game isn't for me.

But it's the stealth system, too. I can never tell when I'm in a guard's range of vision or hearing. And experimenting isn't fun, because it feels so inconsistent and arbitrary. Combat is fun, but Corvo is pretty weak, and there's little room for mistakes. Which is cool, and challenging, and this is a stealth game after all... but it's also frustrating.

And some of the context sensitive commands are really inconsistent. I'll be in front of a ledge, press jump, but he won't climb up it. I'll be behind a guard, wait for the prompt to do a non lethal take down, but it never appears. Rage.

Oh, and I'm playing on Hard. I'm good at video games, damn it! I'm not used to Hard actually being hard, haha.

Man, what I wouldn't give to sit next to you while you're playing, kittens. I am stumped!
Yeah, I'm definitely a special case, it seems. :lol I got two hours before I need to leave for work, and I'm gonna keep playing...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah if anything the game seems too easy. I turned off most of the interface and am playing on Hard but they give you such great tools to exploit that nothing is very difficult.
Why not Very Hard? :p You can switch at any time in the options if you want.

They really did nail it. It's great because the kinetic, "I am moving rapidly forward" feel of the blink is only experienced by you- from an NPC's perspective you just disappear, you could be anywhere.

One thing I wish they cribbed from the Arkham games: when I start blinking all over taking people out silently, I wish the remaining ones would start to get a little nervous, noticing their numbers dwindling, and then the last one finally break down in terror. As it stands it seems like the last living guard has no qualms being just as ferocious alone as he was in a group of 4 comrades that have all suddenly and quietly gone missing.

Did you do all the side missions? I'll definitely pass 7 hours during the second mission as well myself.

Are you on http://m.neogaf.com? If so, just tap them.

I love blink, and feel it's not too over-powered, so to speak. But it also lets you access a lot of areas. I'm in love with the upgrade/bone-charm system. It keeps me completely engaged. I'm just so amazed and delighted by this game. Hard difficulty, and removing most HUD elements has really multiplied the effect of the brilliant level and gameplay design.

I think my only wish is that there was a melee/non-lethal attack button besides the crossbow. I am finding myself in need of a club [blackjack :p] or something for those obstacles I can't subdue. I don't particularly like using the crossbow either as it's not very silent.

jaaz

Blink if used properly seems like it will get me through just about any situation. Only on the second mission though.

Mr.Green

I want to read this, but, dumb question-

How do I read spoilers on an iPad? Always wondered. Never had the nerve to ask.

Btw- I like bending time and getting behind an enemy to choke them out.

I'm afraid you have to quote the post if you don't wanna deal with the gimped mobile version.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
And some of the context sensitive commands are really inconsistent. I'll be in front of a ledge, press jump, but he won't climb up it.
Oh, well there's a starter... You hold the jump button to climb :-/
Blink if used properly seems like it will get me through just about any situation. Only on the second mission though.
This is correct. I believe I read in here there's an Achievement for using Nothing But Blink.

It's so good in so many ways, but I just can't get comfortable with it. I feel like the dude is wearing clown shoes or something. The thing is, though, is that it feels like it's that way by design. The feeling of clamoring over every tiny ledge is supposed to be fun, but I find it annoying as hell. I feel like 10 years of playing Halo has conditioned me to smooth, simplified movement, and it's hard for me to adjust to other movement styles. I don't expect to feel like a super soldier in every video game, but I also don't want to constantly get caught on ledges. So... yeah, maybe this game isn't for me.

But it's the stealth system, too. I can never tell when I'm in a guard's range of vision or hearing. And experimenting isn't fun, because it feels so inconsistent and arbitrary. Combat is fun, but Corvo is pretty weak, and there's little room for mistakes. Which is cool, and challenging, and this is a stealth game after all... but it's also frustrating.

And some of the context sensitive commands are really inconsistent. I'll be in front of a ledge, press jump, but he won't climb up it. I'll be behind a guard, wait for the prompt to do a non lethal take down, but it never appears. Rage.

Oh, and I'm playing on Hard. I'm good at video games, damn it! I'm not used to Hard actually being hard, haha.

Regarding your issue with the range of vision, are you using Dark Vision? It's become my most used skill and helps out tremendously. I always have it on. I have noticed that the commands are inconsistent so I can relate to that part. Sometimes I don't see the prompts for taking down someone and I wonder if I'm just in a bad spot or it's an actual issue. I've gotten caught because I have to keep moving around a bit until I see the prompt to take them down. This doesn't happen often, it's actually pretty rare which makes me think it's a problem on my end.

Jack_AG

Banned
I tried that, but it didn't activate the marker. Maybe it was because I had it turned off in the options menu, I'll try it again tonight.
Yes they have to be "on" in the HUD menu options in order to use turn them on/off for individual objectives.

Right now I keep the HUD element "on" and only turn them on briefly to get my bearings when I get stumped. I explore quite a bit so I'm good with not worrying about using them cuz hey - Dark Vision!

Mr.Green

Uh, no

You just tap the spoiler

On the regular site? Are you sure or a filthy liar?

By the way I'm pretty sure neogaf.com automatically redirects you to the mobile version the first time you access it with an iPad so that's probably why it works for you?

aeolist

Banned
On the regular site? Are you sure or a filthy liar?

By the way I'm pretty sure neogaf.com automatically redirects you to the mobile version the first time you access it with an iPad. I

On the mobile site it's just tap, on the full site it's tap and hold which matches the mouse click functionality

theDeeDubs

So happy this game lived up to my expectations. I grew up with these kinds of games. Getting major Thief vibes from the background noise when reading journals and books. I find myself waiting to hear Garrett's sweet voice-overs though :(. Doing a nonlethal/ghost/flesh and steel playthrough to start off and freakin loving it.

Okay, it's fun, but I need to get used to the movement. I'm pretty sensitive when it comes to stuff like that, unfortunately, and some games take me some time to adjust before I can play them without getting a headache. Skyrim was one, this seems to be the same.

Mr.Green

On the mobile site it's just tap, on the full site it's tap and hold which matches the mouse click functionality

Really!? I probably was trying to drag my finger like I do with the mouse cursor then...

I'll try when I get back home. You better not be lying. I know where you live!

Eleven hours in and I just started the third mission; this game is going to have to do something really outlandish to not be my GOTY.

I don't know how I've played video games for so long without being able to Blink. It's just so incredible useful in every single situation, and getting the first Agility upgrade means you can pretty much go anywhere you can see. Blinking down from the rafters to pickpocket a guard and then Blinking away before he even turns around makes me feel like such a badass, and Blinking during sword fights might be my new favourite thing ever.

aeolist

Banned
Really!? I probably was trying to drag my finger like I do with the mouse cursor then...

I'll try when I get back home. You better not be lying. I know where you live!

Word of warning, Safari may be different. I use a Nexus 7 when I'm not on my desktop.

Anyone who preordered from Amazon get their preorder bonus yet? My game just arrived today and I'm wondering if it is worth waiting for the bonus to start the game? Or for that matter do I even have to wait? Do the preorder bonuses have to be applied before starting or is it like Borderlands 2 where the items appear in your inventory upon next load? Can't wait to jump into this game.

I'm going to pick this up on PSN when I get home... I tried last night but PSN wasn't letting me, so I'll try again. I haven't really watched any trailers or read too much about the game, but it is from the team that did Dark Messiah and I quite enjoyed that game. I figured I need to take a plunge of something randomly and I settled on this. Hopefully it all pans out...

This is an exhilarating game when using all of the tools at your disposal. I started my playthrough with a non-lethal stealth run and it was dull as dirt. Basically Thief with a teleport button. Now that I'm engaging in combat and using all of my gadgets it feels like an improved version of the Batman games, striking from corners and rooftops and hopping away to safety before getting mobbed.

now that lots of people have had the game for a few days, is everyone happy with it? I've skim read a few pages and it's mostly positive, but I dare not read any more in case there are spoilers.

basically, is everyone happy with the game? does it live up to the reviews?

Davedough

now that lots of people have had the game for a few days, is everyone happy with it? I've skim read a few pages and it's mostly positive, but I dare not read any more in case there are spoilers.

Put it this way. I'm counting down the minutes at work before I can go home and play it. I fear for anyone in front of me in traffic tonight.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Eleven hours in and I just started the third mission; this game is going to have to do something really outlandish to not be my GOTY.

I don't know how I've played video games for so long without being able to Blink. It's just so incredible useful in every single situation, and getting the first Agility upgrade means you can pretty much go anywhere you can see. Blinking down from the rafters to pickpocket a guard and then Blinking away before he even turns around makes me feel like such a badass, and Blinking during sword fights might be my new favourite thing ever.
Shouldn't have played while starting to fall asleep last night... been forgetting I can't Blink in real life all day. o_o

Everyone can't ever be expected to be happy. And I don't much think it's the kind of game where, if you don't expect to like its systems, it would change your mind.

Regardless, it's quite clearly a masterpiece and a GOTY contender.

I am happy with it even though I finished it in 7 hrs. Worth the $60 IMO even if it's just to support a sequel or more games like this. I will go back through eventually and try to ghost it. Will probably take a lot longer

I am happy with it even though I finished it in 7 hrs. Worth the $60 IMO even if it's just to support a sequel or more games like this. I will go back through eventually and try to ghost it. Will probably take a lot longer

Damn, how did you finish it so quickly? I'm over seven hours in and still at the beginning of the second mission.

At first I was sceptical about the use of way points in this game. But now I use them as guides of where not to go until everything else has been explored.

Also, I'm hating myself for missing 2 runes in the first assassination mission.

Damn, how did you finish it so quickly? I'm over seven hours in and still at the beginning of the second mission.

I dunno. I thought I was taking my time...I wasn't rushing through or anything. I wasn't exploring or anything like that apart from runes and bone charms however. I was also doing all sidequests I came across as well.

Derrick01

Banned
I fucked up at this one part because I took a guard out but after a minute or two another was like "someone's supposed to be on guard here" and he found the body. Alarms go off and I have to hide for like 5 minutes.

Ashodin

E27C1EA311374994033780A07E87DCDB059AA32B

Yessir.

If you collect runes you're overpowered if anything. You have all these magical superpowers on top of sneaking. And if you get caught you can usually kill them with a parry & counterhit. I'm only on level 2 so far but I like the game a lot better on very hard with most of the HUD off.

Top Bottom