• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

theDeeDubs

I really don't see the Bioshock comparison...

It's like Thief with plasmids to me. The visual presentation and perspective gives me huge BioShock vibes, not to mention the weapons and refilling mana. Depending on how you play (switch the first two if not going stealthy):

Thief 60% + BioShock 39% + Deus Ex 1%

All I'm missing is Garrett's sweet narration and a light/dark mechanic.

jet1911

I'm loving the game, but for a stealth title, some of the stealth elements suck. Like, when you're in sneak mode behind something and can't see shit aside from using the wonky lean mechanic.

No, I do not have the see-through-walls power, nor will I.

It's weird, because you can go one moment from a very fluid blink-fest of badassery to a clunky ducking mechanism.

When you lean ennemies won't spot you so it's really a problem. :p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Lean is super easy to use. Even a stealth scrub like me can master that.

The game feels very little like Bioshock to me, at least so far. It encourages stealth while still emphasizing diversity in play styles, and it's far more open-ended as far as its quest system and level navigation.

The BioShock comparisons probably come from it being the poster child, and most memorable, non-linear level design shooter this generation. It's certainly not the only one, nor was it the first, nor was it necessarily all that open ended at all, but compared to most of what we've got this gen it stands out. Less corridor running, more side rooms, little areas to explore, and so on.

Dishonored's levels are much more open and organic, but I can see why people draw comparisons.

ced

Okay, so I'm in the Distillery District for the first proper mission.

I've entered a building that is full of enemies but as soon as I enter it, the waypoint tells me to go back outside. Is there anything of note here or is it just something else to explore just for fun?

Note I am going for a no alert / no kill run first. Would it be in my best interest to explore this area?

Sidequest areas, find granny.

Nemesis_

Sidequest areas.

So will I get a sidequest later, or should I just try to clear the area out and get an award?

I found Granny.
I beat up her thugs and now she wants me to visit a doctor's office. Doesn't seem related to this distillery area

Setre

Played a little bit more last night and completed the main objective of the first mission.
I went through the kennel's and stole the poster because I could. Made my way up to the meeting room and waited outside on the ledge. I got impatient and called forth a bunch of rats. I shot the guy your suppose to kill with my dart gun and the rats killed the other guy, oops.

Anyway, as I do with every other RPG after completing the first mission I deleted all my saved games and am going to restart tonight. Plan to take my time exploring and killing dudes, non-lethal playthroughs never appeal to me. I love the Rat Power but just from the first level it seems like Possession would be more useful.

Solo

tbh I found DXHR to be a better stealth game than Dishonored.

I've entered a building that is full of enemies but as soon as I enter it, the waypoint tells me to go back outside. Is there anything of note here or is it just something else to explore just for fun?

Note I am going for a no alert / no kill run first. Would it be in my best interest to explore this area?

Turn off waypoints. Don't let the game tell you where to go.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh, I managed to overcome my tedious, game ruining quick saving/loading for a no kill run either. It was easy. Just killed someone and went about my mission.

Achievement forever sullied until the next playthrough, thus less incentive to keep quick saving/loading and instead just taking it as it comes.

There are things to do in this area if you've got the objectives for it. If not, then its just explorations.
Have you seen the old lady yet? she gives you a quest that will eventually require you go there.
I'm loving the game, but for a stealth title, some of the stealth elements suck. Like, when you're in sneak mode behind something and can't see shit aside from using the wonky lean mechanic.

No, I do not have the see-through-walls power, nor will I.

It's weird, because you can go one moment from a very fluid blink-fest of badassery to a clunky ducking mechanism.
I think the lean mechanic works really well. Its gives you a generous view and you cannot be seen when using it. Besides, while hiding on the ground works alright there is little reason to when you have blink and the levels highly promote vertical movement.

Zeliard

I contemplated going non-lethal for my first run, but it's going to be the good ol' lethal stealth. Very lethal. But very stealthy, too.

Everything dies, and I disappear like a wisp in the night.

The BioShock comparisons probably come from it being the poster child, and most memorable, non-linear level design shooter this generation.

Which says a lot about how dire this gen has been in that regard. ;)

Dishonored feels like a less-compromised throwback to the "immersive sim" classics. I didn't dislike Bioshock and found parts of it to be impressive, but in many ways it's also the poster child for the dumbed down game, relative to its antecedents.

ced

Forgot to mention, I turned off the markers and do not intend on turning them back on. It's a shame gaming has turned into having those.

I would really like to see a game like this given the Souls treatment of no saving / loading and forcing the player to use skill / brains to progress. I'm doing very little saving and loading, but even I have very little self control when it comes to that. This game would be perfect like that given it's multiple choices and consequences you would have to commit to. The blink ability also gives you a way out of most botched encounters as well.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris

There is a sidequest dealing with that area if you search around for it :D

theDeeDubs

Dishonored feels like a less-compromised throwback to the "immersive sim" classics. I didn't dislike Bioshock and found parts of it to be impressive, but in many ways it's also the poster child for the dumbed down game, relative to its antecedents.

The sad part is I played BioShock at the hardest difficulty that the PS3 version added (survivor maybe? Been a while) with vita chambers turned off like a stealth game. Using the Camo tonic, luring enemies into my hacked turrets and security cameras and abusing charmed Big Daddy's while being a wrench assassin. Such is the life of a stealth junky this generation.

Edit* Forgot to mention this is a big reason I didn't enjoy BioShock 2. I didn't feel like I could be as stealthy.

pa22word

Well, the instance of side quests and some decision make probably strikes chords with Deus Ex. Something both BioShock and Thief had little to none of. That and the somewhat open ended nature of the assassinations, specifically choosing the non-lethal rout. BioShock had none of that, and Thief was focused entirely on stealth.

I see where you can draw the BioShock comparison and all, but I feel it needs to be said: this game feels like a very deliberate product with it's design direction, while BioShock took an already established formula and took a ton of liberties with it in order to appeal to a mass audience. Therefore, I can say with no qualms that people who didn't like BioShock shouldn't be afraid of checking this game out.

Also, people who like this game need to check out BioShock 2. Arkane did some work on it (underwater sections, parts of the opening stage, and the last two levels) and the influence is pretty apparent. It's a great game that improves on it's predecessor in nearly every way imaginable that gets a ton of unwarranted shit shoveled into its face for entirely superficial reasons.

Zeliard said:

I agree with this sentiment, but I do think BioShock is still important if only because it set the stage for much better (and significantly less compromised) projects such as Deus Ex Human Revolution, Dishonored, and the upcoming Thief 4 by proving that the old Looking Glass style design was viable in the mainstream market.

Dennis

Banned
Game needed more money, people and time.

The eternal problems I know but this game with the budget of AC3 could be something out of this world.

As it is now, it feels cramped and small.

Just in the very first section after the introduction now, I keep reloading because I get spotted :(

So good though. Is there any way to unequip a pistol ?

Zeliard

Oh, I managed to overcome my tedious, game ruining quick saving/loading for a no kill run either. It was easy. Just killed someone and went about my mission.

Achievement forever sullied until the next playthrough, thus less incentive to keep quick saving/loading and instead just taking it as it comes.

I would really like to see a game like this given the Souls treatment of no saving / loading and forcing the player to use skill / brains to progress. I'm doing very little saving and loading, but even I have very little self control when it comes to that. This game would be perfect like that given it's multiple choices and consequences you would have to commit to. The blink ability also gives you a way out of most botched encounters as well.

I think attempting a specific run that you don't want to screw up, like full non-lethal ghost, is what tends to encourage the savescumming. If you get spotted you naturally just want to reload.

Playing more balls-to-the-wall and winging it when things go wrong can be quite enjoyable when a game gives you various tools at your disposal, and it also gives you less of a reason to constantly load when something goes "wrong." Basically, something going wrong in that sort of playthrough is in fact something going right. It forces you to immediately adapt to the changed situation.

I'm trying to be as stealthy as I can be (while still killing everything), but if someone spots me then they and their pals will just have to die some sort of terrible death, and I move on.

Playing games like the Souls titles and XCOM on Ironman really hammers home the notion that living with your choices and mistakes is just more thrilling and ultimately rewarding. It isn't for every sort of game, and the ol' quick save can be fantastic for playthroughs where you just want to experiment, but it can definitely also cheapen things some and lead to annoying repetition.

Still not seeing the Bioshock comparisons....Bioshock's powers are science fiction and Dishonored's powers are supernatural.

If anything Dishonored borrows more from the Elder Scrolls...or even older Arkane games like Dark Messiah and Arx (this game had a really neat magic system).

Playing more balls-to-the-wall and winging it when things go wrong can be quite enjoyable when a game gives you various tools at your disposal, and it also gives you less of a reason to constantly load when something goes "wrong." Basically, something going wrong in that sort of playthrough is in fact something going right. It forces you to immediately adapt to the changed situation.

I'm trying to be as stealthy as I can be (while still killing everything), but if someone spots me then they and their pals will just have to die some sort of terrible death, and I move on.

After reloading so much so early on, I think I'll follow this too.

Midou

Ugh, I'm close to the end I guess, and I must say the chaos system seems pretty broken... late game spoilers.

so at first I was just trying to see everything I could do, I used a mix of stealth and force, had high chaos for first few missions, then I thought of trying that ability to turn enemies into ashes, and see what happens if I kill everyone but am always in stealth. So I got low chaos in a mission where I did that, even with high murders. The second time I did that, everything went exactly the same as the first, but apparently I had been seen since I didn't get ghost, even though I never heard anyone speak or the music play for someone seeing you, and the corpses found was like 5, even though everyone I killed turned to ashes, and I didn't knock anyone out. This sent me to high chaos, then in the sewer missions after you escape the assassins, I got constant chaos, even with basically taking everyone out with the crossbow and having their bodies disintegrate, I never triggered anyone's aggression or got a notice of being seen or caught in any way. I got low chaos in the mission where your at the ball, even though I had to just shoot the person in the face, since when I grabbed them, that music guy would prevent me from entering the basement. The whole party was in chaos but it still counted as low..

Not to say I don't fucking love the game, but this seems exceedingly random and seems to count really bizarre things.

EatChildren

Still not seeing the Bioshock comparisons....Bioshock's powers are science fiction and Dishonored's powers are supernatural.

If anything Dishonored borrows more from the Elder Scrolls...or even older Arkane games like Dark Messiah and Arx (this game had a really neat magic system).

They're not drawing thematic comparisons. They're drawing mechanical comparisons. In BioShock the skill system was a collective of simplistic, distinct powers, each with an upgrade or two, learned and upgraded through specific collectables hidden in the game world. Dishonored too has a selection of distinct powers, each once upgradable, and all unlocked/upgraded by objects hidden in the game world.

Neither game has anything in common with The Elder Scrolls.

Solo

What? I mean Dishonored. The latter half of Dishonored has very strong Bioshock vibes.

What I meant was that the second half of Bioshock was not good, while the first half was great (it ran out of steam after the twist). So depending on which you were comparing Dishonored to, it could be a good or bad thing.

KingKong

Seriously, I'm the only one that sees the obvious Deus Ex influence?

The first level with Granny's apartment and the Distillery on the side and the main mission further away is set up just like Hell's Kitchen with the Ton Hotel and the girl you save (and just like Paris and Hong Kong and any other number of hub levels)

pa22word

We're talking mechanically not plot-excuses for them being there :p

The ES thing is false, but not for the reasons you might think. The ES series was originally nothing more than a really bad clone of Ultima Underworld, a game by Looking Glass Studios. Arkane's games have all been very derivative of Looking Glass' work, to the point they were trying to get the rights to name their first game (Arx Fatalis) "Ultima Underworld 3".

So no, I wouldn't say Dishonored takes anything from the ES games. I would, however say that both Dishonored and the ES series take massive influence from the Looking Glass games, but came to different conclusions on their take on the formula. So I guess it's not too much of a stretch to see some underlying similarities between the games, heh.

Jarmel

Banned
What I meant was that the second half of Bioshock was not good, while the first half was great (it ran out of steam after the twist). So depending on which you were comparing Dishonored to, it could be a good or bad thing.

This is really hard to not imply anything without giving anything away but if you didn't like the second half of Bioshock then you won't like the second half of Dishonored.

Is there a Dishonored spoiler thread btw?

Derrick01

Banned
Game needed more money, people and time.

The eternal problems I know but this game with the budget of AC3 could be something out of this world.

As it is now, it feels cramped and small.

Small? Have you made it to the first real mission? The entire area is massive and can take hours to finish.

Interfectum

Hah. I did the exact same thing. The game is so much more enjoyable not worrying about the damn achievement.

They're not drawing thematic comparisons. They're drawing mechanical comparisons. In BioShock the skill system was a collective of simplistic, distinct powers, each with an upgrade or two, learned and upgraded through specific collectables hidden in the game world. Dishonored too has a selection of distinct powers, each once upgradable, and all unlocked/upgraded by objects hidden in the game world.

Neither game has anything in common with The Elder Scrolls.

If that is the case, then they are still nothing a like. Finding plasmids in the world gave you distinct powers, finding runes in the world just gives you a skill point basically.

ctrayne

Game is 0% DX. It's 60% Bioshock and 40% Thief.

I see what you are getting at, but I don't think I'd go quite that far. The DX comparisons are coming up because of the versatile level design, which is kind of a hallmark of what Harvey Smith calls the immersive sim. There are a number of creative ways to get through missions in Dishonored, which is most certainly a trait shared with DX. Thinking of Liberty Island here.

Obviously Dishonored's focus is more in line with Thief and less on hacking and social stuff like DX, but I've always heard Thief, DX and System Shock series mentioned in the same breath.

Regardless of semantics, Dishonored is fantastic. Loving the game to pieces. I'm on mission 6 and am 16 hours into the game.

But some here have intimated that the first mission is BY FAR the biggest, which is disappointing if true.

Nah. The Kaldwin Bridge mission is gargantuan.

Midou

But some here have intimated that the first mission is BY FAR the biggest, which is disappointing if true.

The first bunch are kind of in the same general area, I don't think I felt any of them were way longer. I think people only felt that because of carefully exploring the first time or spending that time learning the mechanics.

So, I'm trying to give this game a fair shake, but the backtracking broke my back. Backtracking back to where I backtracked last mission? Nope. Sorry.

Solo

Nah. The Kaldwin Bridge mission is gargantuan.

In regards to scope(like side-missions), without a doubt yes. Length, no.

The first bunch are kind of in the same general area, I don't think I felt any of them were way longer. I think people only felt that because of carefully exploring the first time or spending that time learning the mechanics.

Alright, good sirs, thank you for this reassuring info!

ctrayne

So, I'm trying to give this game a fair shake, but the backtracking broke my back. Backtracking back to where I backtracked last mission? Nope. Sorry.

Not sure what you are talking about; maybe keep playing some more. There is almost zero backtracking in the game, other than extraction, and even then, most missions don't make you go back through the level again.

The first two real missions have a similar beginning area with different enemy placement and scenarios, but that's the only repeated terrain I've encountered. The Golden Cat mission is quite different from the first assassination.

Alright, good sirs, thank you for this reassuring info!

NP, hopefully I have not led you astray, but there are plenty of wonders to behold after missions 1-3.

pa22word

If that is the case, then they are still nothing a like. Finding plasmids in the world gave you distinct powers, finding runes in the world just gives you a skill point basically.

Um when the only difference is BioShock removed the skill progression system from SS2 and instead let you use stuff as you picked it up I hardly call that "nothing alike". In fact, they're largly the same only Dishonored isn't nearly as shallow as BioShock is in this department.

Jarmel

Banned
Not sure what you are talking about; maybe keep playing some more. There is almost zero backtracking in the game, other than extraction, and even then, most missions don't make you go back through the level again.

The first two real missions have a similar beginning area with different enemy placement and scenarios, but that's the only repeated terrain I've encountered. The Golden Cat mission is quite different from the first assassination.

The Golden Cat mission is the only mission in the game where it backtracks over a previous 'mission'.

1stStrike

Banned
I'm about to start my 2nd play through. Not focusing on non-lethal this time, so I expect it to be even more fun since I get to actually use all of my weapons and powers. The few times I did kill people on the first play through was quite satisfying. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed using a crossbow this much.

GorillaJu

The Lady Boyle mission was incredible.
Moving in and out of the party, searching for clues, etc. Everything about this game has me hooked. I killed Campbell and the Pendleton brothers, but I figured sending Lydia Boyle into god knows what hideous future she has awaiting her under the watch of the hamster-masked Lord Brisby was probably worse than death. The Outsider seemed to hint that it's far from a happy ending, even if she lives. And I got a rune from her sister for letting her live.

I love Emily's boyish animations, in particular the way she thrusts her finger to make a point.

This game is wonderful.

The biggest comparison to BioShock, for me, is the similar way in which they engross you in their world. There are a lot of comparisons to be made, but for me that's the biggest. They both have this mysterious atmosphere of intrigue, though Rapture seems bleaker and lonelier than Dunwall. Most likely because while Dunwall is still in the process of decay, while you don't visit Rapture until the events that caused its ruination are already complete.

I can see complaints about the story being a very simple "Bad guys doing bad stuff, better take care of em and save the city" as a main plot-line is nothing special. However, the way the characters inhabit the world gives it something really unique and special to me. I love the story, even though the voice acting isn't the best I've heard, the plot-line is pretty simple and the protagonist is silent.

I'm about to start my 2nd play through. Not focusing on non-lethal this time, so I expect it to be even more fun since I get to actually use all of my weapons and powers. The few times I did kill people on the first play through was quite satisfying. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed using a crossbow this much.

Without spoiling its contents, can you give your impression on the ending you got? Not was it good or bad, but did it feel like you got a "good" ending because you avoided killing people when possible?

Midou

The Lady Boyle mission was incredible.
Moving in and out of the party, searching for clues, etc. Everything about this game has me hooked. I killed Campbell and the Pendleton brothers, but I figured sending Lydia Boyle into god knows what hideous future she has awaiting her under the watch of the hamster-masked Lord Brisby was probably worse than death. The Outsider seemed to hint that it's far from a happy ending, even if she lives. And I got a rune from her sister for letting her live.

This is the tough part, figuring out how much of the game's results are for a specific action you've done versus what other paths get for a different reason.

For example
I got the rune for not killing their whole family, though I did kill Waveryly, same result, different 'choice'

Top Bottom