• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

The Chef

I love this game so damn much its insane. The stealth is so phenomenal, the environment and music are so captivating. I can see myself replaying this several times. GOTY.

1stStrike

Banned
I can see complaints about the story being a very simple "Bad guys doing bad stuff, better take care of em and save the city" as a main plot-line is nothing special. However, the way the characters inhabit the world gives it something really unique and special to me. I love the story, even though the voice acting isn't the best I've heard, the plot-line is pretty simple and the protagonist is silent.

I've never been a fan of the silent protagonist, to be honest. It doesn't give me the same attachment to the character I would have had - i.e. Commander Sheperd. They could easily replace this one for another in Dishonored 2 (assuming they make one) and I wouldn't even miss the protagonist from this game, so that's a definite downside for me.

Without spoiling its contents, can you give your impression on the ending you got? Not was it good or bad, but did it feel like you got a "good" ending because you avoided killing people when possible?

When it comes to endings in this game, think Bioshock. The ending you get is based on your chaos rating and the actions you performed throughout the game (who you killed/didn't kill affects the ending). I got the good ending (Just Dark Enough achievement) and it was "satisfying", although the ending was abbreviated much like the Bioshock endings so in that respect I also found myself a bit dissatisfied since I enjoy cutscene endings that wrap things up or even setup another game.

GorillaJu

I've never been a fan of the silent protagonist, to be honest. It doesn't give me the same attachment to the character I would have had - i.e. Commander Sheperd. They could easily replace this one for another in Dishonored 2 (assuming they make one) and I wouldn't even miss the protagonist from this game, so that's a definite downside for me.

When it comes to endings in this game, think Bioshock. The ending you get is based on your chaos rating and the actions you performed throughout the game (who you killed/didn't kill affects the ending). I got the good ending (Just Dark Enough achievement) and it was "satisfying", although the ending was abbreviated much like the Bioshock endings so in that respect I also found myself a bit dissatisfied since I enjoy cutscene endings that wrap things up or even setup another game.

Thanks that answers exactly what I wanted to hear.

Mr.Green

I haven't started the game yet but I've installed it and went through the settings - I Wish there was a lean button I could map to one of my mouse thumb buttons and then use A & D instead of using Q & E. I'd rather map these to other stuff.

Kaldwin Bridge was definitely my favorite mission, followed by the masquerade (they are close.) Visually the masquerade is insanely striking. My god, this is one of my favorite games. I can't help but stop and take loads of screen shots (especially with SGSSAA.) I've got to have around 250 now.

Derrick01

Banned
But some here have intimated that the first mission is BY FAR the biggest, which is disappointing if true.

I can only speak for the 3 other missions I've done and 2 of them were pretty big. The Golden Cat isn't really huge although there are other areas before that, but it's still a very well designed area. In a few minutes I'm about to do the party mission so I'm looking forward to that.

It's so satisfying to finish a mission with 0 alerts. I'm yet to do one with 0 kills, but just managed my first doing only stealth kills or run by's(Yes im bad at this game).

Special power spoiler:
getting the upgrade that turns people into ash helps immensely

Worth trading in Darksiders II (Only played for a couple of hours but already not keen) and Dragon's Dogma (completed) for this? Pretty impressed with the reviews so far.

The ES series was originally nothing more than a really bad clone of Ultima Underworld, a game by Looking Glass Studios.
Er, was this before any ES games were released? Arena and Daggerfall weren't like UU at all. If anything Arena was like... some Amiga game which name I can't recall where everyone is stuck in a town due to plague, kinda mixed with the open-world driving game Quarantine. I suppose Battlespire could be an UU clone.

eshwaaz

Gah, I'm so worried about keeping my Chaos level down that it's hampering my enjoyment. The game offers so many satisfying ways to kill creatively but I'm not experiencing any of them - playing has become a strict, mechanical process in pursuit of the "good" ending.

Someone convince me to just play organically!

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I finished mission 4, 5 and 6 in a few hours. They're quite smaller than the first few ones. I think it's mostly due to Blink, it makes navigation a breeze.

ctrayne

I finished mission 4, 5 and 6 in a few hours. They're quite smaller than the first few ones. I think it's mostly due to Blink, it makes navigation a breeze.

But isn't mission 4 Kaldwin Bridge? That mission is physically huge. I think I spent more time on that than any of the others so far. There are loads of stuff to find and secrets to grab. It felt more like two levels to me.

Sokolov
's house is really cool, by the way. Great design!

1stStrike

Banned
Gah, I'm so worried about keeping my Chaos level down that it's hampering my enjoyment. The game offers so many satisfying ways to kill creatively but I'm not experiencing any of them - playing has become a strict, mechanical process in pursuit of the "good" ending.

You can kill people and still maintain low chaos. I think I had 25 or 30 kills in total at the end of the game was at low chaos in every mission. If you mess up and end up having to kill a couple of guards, don't sweat it and just go with the flow. It won't prevent you from getting the good ending as long as you maintain low chaos at the end of each mission.

Mikeside

Don't say that. DS2 is next on my playlist! lol. Maybe ill put Deus EX in front then and save DS2 for a rainy day:p(holidays)

Dead Space 2 is a great game with a disappointing finish. Like almost every game ever. Don't believe the hate - play that shit, bro.

That said, Dishonored is an absolute gem.

Zia

But is it good? Didn't mean to derail the thread but my god it's one of the most bland games I've played in a while (and I liked Darksiders 1)

Not really. There's really no AAA game released in 2012 that you can't afford to sell for Dishonored. It's pretty special.

Two times in a row I fell off the pipe I was walking along up high. Time for bed I think.

Can't wait to continue this in the morning. Perfect game to release while I am on holidays.

ezekial45

Banned
Flooded District question.
What's the best way to clear the courtyard for Blake and the other survivors? I already rewired the arc pylons to keep them safe from it, but the armored walkers keep killing them.

EDIT: NVM

jet1911

I killed 22 person in the second mission and I receuved a "low" chaos rating. But I disposed of Campbell the non lethal way. Maybe it has an influence.

Nemesis_

Mannnn I was doing so well and the end of this first mission has gotten notably messy ;_:

I am trying to
save both people, is it possible without alerting anyone or killing anyone?

Coconut

Banned
I don't want to be this person, but how does it perform on ATI cards, crossfire or other wise? Kind of got a woody from some of the PC screens I saw from the Hi-res screen shot thread.

It seems more and more people are advancing in the game, making raising the danger to fall victim to a spoiler. I think I'll avoid this thread until I finish the game.

JambiBum

I need help. Last night the game was running great and then today when I tried to play I get this weird issue. I thought it might just be the game so I tried to run x com and it just locks up in the main menu all of a sudden. Screenshot showing my problem.

11BA80E8A2A293AD65A78692084AA19DD36C49A1

guest1321

This game really does get better as it goes! The first assassination I played without objective markers and it took me to the 4 hour mark in the game. Since then I've turned on the objective markers so I know what to avoid until I'm ready to go forward.

Initially I went the ghost/no kill route but have since decided to indulge in slaughtering the masses with long ranged crossbow headshots (
the animation is awesome
). I've done ~5 assassinations so far and the story is phenomenal. I don't want it to end but I want to know what happens. So much so that I've been waking up early to play the game.

Definitely GOTY material. Replay value is extremely high.

Coconut

Banned
I need help. Last night the game was running great and then today when I tried to play I get this weird issue. I thought it might just be the game so I tried to run x com and it just locks up in the main menu all of a sudden. Screenshot showing my problem.

verify the game cache.

Plasmid

I thought that killing targets didn't count BUT IT DOES SO I ALREADY FUCKED UP SPENDING 1:30 ON THE HIGH OVERSEER ARRRRR.

Guess i'll do an undetected run. -.-

Zia

I've done ~5 assassinations so far and the story is phenomenal.

I agree. It's smart, simple genre fiction in the vein of Thief, Bastion and Half-Life 2, bolstered by its tight world-building. So far there hasn't been a grand, affecting moment in the narrative but unless it unravels towards the end I don't know that there needs to be.

Ashodin

Your card is going brah

guest1321

I agree. It's smart, simple genre fiction in the vein of Thief, Bastion and Half-Life 2, bolstered by its tight world-building. So far there hasn't been a grand, affecting moment in the narrative but unless it unravels towards the end I don't know that there needs to be.

I'd agree with you on the narrative, it supports the story but a lot of the story comes from the environment, picking up tid bits from books and encounters and piecing it all together. The individual pieces on their own are good but when woven together as a whole are fantastic story.

You mentioned bastion; I haven't played it so I'm curious about how it relates.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Here's my attempt.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
But isn't mission 4 Kaldwin Bridge? That mission is physically huge. I think I spent more time on that than any of the others so far. There are loads of stuff to find and secrets to grab. It felt more like two levels to me.

Sokolov
's house is really cool, by the way. Great design!
I loved the Kaldwin Bridge mission; the level design is very intricate. I was just focused on the main objectives so that's one reason why I felt it ended quickly. I'll give it another go after I finish the game once.

I wish there were a bunch of surprises in that place where he was located. I just freed the woman in the cage and escaped with Sokolov.

1stStrike

Banned
Hah, a funny tactic I found for my lethal play through:
Hack the wall of light so it recognizes me instead of the enemy and then throw all of their bodies into it to disintegrate them. No mess, no alarms!

Derrick01

Banned
Hmm I finished the party mission really fast once I was inside, as fun as it was. I'll have to take my time next time and search the area more. I
didn't even have to leave the 1st floor of the party

Andrew.

Banned
Still on Mission 1, and going for scoring those two trophs in one (no alerts in one mission/ no alerts and killing less than 5 in one mission). Man, nonlethally handling those three goons outside Grannys was rough but I managed. Everything else has been sweet though. I picked up Bend Time and Possession but havent used either yet. Also, Dark Vision is a godsend.

So I'm still on the first (proper) mission.

I need to let go of this desire to reload every time I alert a guard or kill someone ...argh! This game feels so rewarding though, I'm really enjoying it.

Speaking of which (spoilers for first proper mission/assassination)

So I ended up waiting for the Overseer and the other guy to go down to his private office, where I shot him with a sleeping dart.

Now I'm in a tight situation because I want to brand him and complete this one non-lethally if possible, but I'm stuck down below with loads of guards patrolling on the upper floor/stairs.

Is there an easy way of getting him up there to the interrogation room?

RedSwirl

Just read the manual. It's pretty thin but with enough story content (that used to be my main reason for reading manuals) to get me interested in playing the game and to show that the developers really have a damn about the setting.

Top Bottom