• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is there ever another animation for choking someone out? ;_;

I'm enjoying this a lot in the first mission so far, but I already want some other non lethal ways to take people out. All I got is that and sleep darts, which I'm saving for groups.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I'm still on the first (proper) mission.

I need to let go of this desire to reload every time I alert a guard or kill someone ...argh! This game feels so rewarding though, I'm really enjoying it.

Speaking of which (spoilers for first proper mission/assassination)

So I ended up waiting for the Overseer and the other guy to go down to his private office, where I shot him with a sleeping dart.

Now I'm in a tight situation because I want to brand him and complete this one non-lethally if possible, but I'm stuck down below with loads of guards patrolling on the upper floor/stairs.

Is there an easy way of getting him up there to the interrogation room?
Sounds like Bend Time and Blink could get you most of the way there.

Failing that, you could leave him there and tranq/subdue every single remaing guard from stealth, then come back and just waltz up with him casually.

Jack_AG

Banned
So I'm guessing I'm about 3/4 through the game and boy did I change my approach to handling bad guys due to:

When you get fucked over by your friends and Emily gets taken again... anyone else go on a fucking rage after that? I think my body count was 7 total kills before that happened. After that I went ape shit killing everything in sight. I try to be a good boy and man they turned me into a monster. I lost it. I lost my way. Fuck those assholes.

Zeliard

Is there ever another animation for choking someone out? ;_;

I'm enjoying this a lot in the first mission so far, but I already want some other non lethal ways to take people out. All I got is that and sleep darts, which I'm saving for groups.

Join the assassin brigade.

You know you want to.

All of you.

You want to creatively murder fools in a variety of hilarious ways. Stop lying to yourselves.

Salsa

awh why did I highlight Jack_AG's spoiler :( I assumed I was too 3/4 through the game but clearly the "ending" isnt the ending

at least im glad it's a bit longer

Zeliard

I find the no-kill route far more satisfying tbh...

...noo I returned to the thread!

Non-lethal will be great for another playthrough and I'm definitely going to do it.

But they just offer you so many cool ways to do outside-of-the-box stuff to get rid of enemies, invariably robbing them of their lives, that it's hard to resist the first time through the game.

protonion

Man I didn't even remember this game until the review thread. I saw a couple of videos and is seems like a must have. That teleport move is brilliant.

One issue I think I'll have is regarding the ending.
I don't care about stealth only, no alerts etc. I go with the flow. But I read here the game has a bad ending for a lot of kills. This is stupid. Why should I be punished?

ekim

Well... Mission 4 spoiler (lady boyle mission) :
that was tooooo easy and too short. I just gave a woman a drink and she told me who is the right lady boyle and I easily could get her to the cellar... it was about 10 minutes and I ended mission with the ghost achievement ... :(

pre Mission 5 spoiler :
This is not the last mission, isn't it?

ctrayne

Well... Mission 4 spoiler (lady boyle mission) :
that was tooooo easy and too short. I just gave a woman a drink and she told me who is the right lady boyle and I easily could get her to the cellar... it was about 10 minutes and I ended mission with the ghost achievement ... :(

...and missed a ton of content and goodies too! But that's ok - this game is meant for replays. I spent at least a good hour or two on the mission. Had to soak in dem graphics.

Also Lady Boyle is mission 5. Jail break is mission 1.

Zeliard

Heh I'm reading the RPS verdict and they're talking about how unconscious enemies audibly snore. Adorable.

Haven't noticed that myself. Apparently violently stabbing them in the neck impedes the breathing process.

Bentendo

WHY? I am doing a no-kill run and somehow I killed someone in the first (post-training) mission. I don't know how this is possible :(

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Holy shit this game is awesome so far. Only finished the very first mission but I got high chaos :( Hopefully I can get more into the swing of things later once I actually have powers. I'm not locking myself into a single playstyle. I'm just letting the experience come up organically. More fun that way.

ctrayne

Holy shit this game is awesome so far. Only finished the very first mission but I got high chaos :( Hopefully I can get more into the swing of things later once I actually have powers.. I'm not locking myself into a single playstyle. I'm just letting the experience come up organically. More fun that way.

Debatable; my no-kill run has been thrilling.

I feel you though - no doubt that I am itching to go back and do the "anything goes" route.

branny

I'm about to start the bridge mission. Liking the game way more than I expected to. Even if the quality of the game goes downhill, the first few missions are fantastic.

Hunting for runes and bone charms has also unexpectedly been adding so much fun. I really like the feeling of "okay, mission accomplished, but there's still still one last thing to do before I make my escape" situations. I don't play many stealth games because I'm not the biggest fan of the genre for whatever reason, but not many I've played actually require you to get in and out like this. The game is a really refreshing change of pace from what I've been playing lately.

Heh I'm reading the RPS verdict and they're talking about how unconscious enemies audibly snore. Adorable.
It's even cuter when you have a pile of unconscious guards all together in a dark corner somewhere. And loud. It's really loud hearing all the snoring.

Wait wait wait....if I go for the main objective of a mission, is it too late for me to go and do the side missions? Or will i get a very clear choice of whether to stay in the area?

ekim

...and missed a ton of content and goodies too! But that's ok - this game is meant for replays. I spent at least a good hour or two on the mission. Had to soak in dem graphics.

Also Lady Boyle is mission 5. Jail break is mission 1.

I also did the duel with lord shaw and signed the guest book :p

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Guys, I'm playing Thief now (for the first time) and I don't want to stop but as Dishonored unlocks today I'm tempted by it. Is it better than Thief? Or will Thief feel obsolete after playing Dishonored?

ctrayne

You guys are sadists for the no kill runs, since it's more tedious than actual difficult.

Not really tedious or difficult IMO - maybe more like "creative". Like Portal or something. You find new ways to (ab)use the excellent Blink spell.

Guys, I'm playing Thief now (for the first time) and I don't want to stop but as Dishonored unlocks today I'm tempted by it. Is it better than Thief? Or will Thief feel obsolete after playing Dishonored?

Nah, Thief is still great. Dishonored is certainly Thief's kin, but it scratches a bit of a different itch. Thief is about, well, thievery and Garrett is a weak, normal person without magic, and not really a killer. Both have great design. Fret not.

One of the best parts about this game is the sense of power you have even without using the special abilities, will be fun to do a fun only using blink or nothing at all.

Andrew.

Banned
So does an actual detection occur only with red bolts appearing above the enemies' heads? Are you still clear of any detection if the bolts are there, but not red?

Zeliard

Make sure you don't let sleeping bodies fall from any heights or into water, even shallow water (they will drown face down.)

I love this. I use sleeping darts on enemies near ledges and watch them comically topple off.

It's even cuter when you have a pile of unconscious guards all together in a dark corner somewhere. And loud. It's really loud hearing all the snoring.

In that regard, you might say my game is.... deathly silent.

wuahah

ctrayne

So does an actual detection occur only with red bolts appearing above the enemies' heads? Are you still clear of any detection if the bolts are there, but not red?

I believe so; the (awesome) piano noise indicates detection, I think.

I love this. I use sleeping darts on enemies near ledges and watch them comically topple off.

It is super fun and I do it a lot...and then reload.

Ferrio

Banned
Not really tedious or difficult IMO - maybe more like "creative". Like Portal or something. You find new ways to (ab)use the excellent Blink spell.

It is tedious. Because doing non lethal stuff is easy. Making sure that the bodies don't do something stupid upon you dealing with the enemy is. Just look at how many posts about people lamenting about finishing a level and a body had somehow died from something stupid and they didn't even realize.

1stStrike

Banned
So, on the second play through I'm playing just a bit differently... a dash of violence.

2012-10-11_00002uao5p.jpg

OK, maybe I went just a bit overboard o_o

Oh, and I ran into this...

Ummmm.... ? That's a new one.

I think I've got my playthroughs planned out at this point.
1st game: Find and complete all side missions, paintings, runes and bone charms. Try to play as stealthily as possible but shit happens.
2nd game: Blaze through killing everyone in the way.
3rd game: Ghost run.

ctrayne

It is tedious. Because doing non lethal stuff is easy. Making sure that the bodies don't do something stupid upon you dealing with the enemy is.

Ok, it's tedious to you. And that's quite OK. For me, no-kill/ghosts are one of the most rewarding things one can accomplish in stealth games.

Just look at how many posts about people lamenting about finishing a level and a body had somehow died from something stupid and they didn't even realize.

That sucks, but it has not happened to me once. I have ghosted and no-killed every mission thus far without a single retry.

One thing Thief might have over it is the ability to destroy light sources. Also the ability to jump to a third person view to look around corners. But I feel the dark vision, peaking through keyholes and lean mechanics help to survey the surrounding just as good. You will love Dishonored. Thief won't feel obsolete after starting it.

scy

You guys are sadists for the no kill runs, since it's more tedious than actual difficult.

My first playthrough was going to be a no kill run. The intro made this seem fairly simple to accomplish.

And then a body apparently got eaten by a rat or something fucking stupid. Guess I'm now killing everyone instead.

Zeliard

My first playthrough was going to be a no kill run. The intro made this seem fairly simple to accomplish.

And then a body apparently got eaten by a rat or something fucking stupid. Guess I'm now killing everyone instead.

Welcome to the fold ;)

Also I'd recommend people play on Very Hard. Feels great and forces you to be on your toes. Plus it still encourages you to be inconspicuous, even as you kill everyone.

ctrayne

That sucks, and too late for this run, but it's fairly easy to avoid once you know. Don't leave bodies on the ground in ratty areas. Even a desk or a bed will protect them from rats, I think. Blink makes this a lot easier once you get it.

Also I'd recommend people play on Very Hard. Feels great and forces you to be on your toes. Plus it still encourages you to be inconspicuous, even as you kill everyone.

Absolutely. Detection and AI seem a little better/harder on the higher difficulty.

After beating the game I will do a no-kill run, as I'll be more familiar with things. I just got Dark Vision (was purposefully not using it) and I'm near the end I suspect.

I read someone make mention of a HD texture pack; I'm not complaining, as I suspect a lot of the textures are a sort of hand-painted, stylized look, but I would be curious to see what higher resolutions would look like. Was this a real thing, or different thread?

And also, I just noticed that my ghost run I thought I had was actually a 'specter' run which is you kill less than 5 people and aren't seen.

Currently on the mission seen from the many previews, mission 2,
the house of pleasure
. The level design is wonderful. This game is the highlight of the year for me, simply off the strength of aspects like this.

This is my GOTY, woah it's sooo good.
reminds me of Bioshock, Half Life 2, Thief, Deus Ex...
I simply can't describe how good this game is. 8 hours in and I'm on the third mission. Try to read everything and find every sidequest.

I'm renting this at the moment, trying to playthrough without kills/detection.

As enjoyable as it is,
about to find and deal with the first target
, I don't have that much patience to really get into this game.

kami_sama

Just did a (supposedly) no-kill run. In the chapter before the last I don't know why, It counted some kills. If you kill the mollusks, it counts?

Either way, the ending is better than others, like ME3's.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
One thing Thief might have over it is the ability to destroy light sources. Also the ability to jump to a third person view to look around corners. But I feel the dark vision, peaking through keyholes and lean mechanics help to survey the surrounding just as good. You will love Dishonored. Thief won't feel obsolete after starting it.

But Thief doesn't have a third-person view...

Top Bottom