• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Is there ever another animation for choking someone out? ;_;

I'm enjoying this a lot in the first mission so far, but I already want some other non lethal ways to take people out. All I got is that and sleep darts, which I'm saving for groups.

I reallllllllly wish there was a club or blackjack or something. The melee is too good.

ctrayne

I'm just saying that [IMO] this game requires more strategy than I'm used to. I never said I don't like the stealth games.

Maybe I'm just trying too hard for a perfect run.

Even though I am doing a no-kill run on my first time, I would recommend just going freestyle for your initial playthrough. I think you'll enjoy it more. I'm loving the no-kill style, but I also cannot wait to finish up and go back with no restrictions.

I reallllllllly wish there was a club or blackjack or something. The melee is too good.

I think the reason there is not a melee non-lethal takedown is because choking takes longer, therefore carries a higher risk of getting caught. I think it is a deliberate design decision.

1stStrike

Banned
Oo. Did you guys know that Bethesda released the Drunken Whaler mp3 you hear everyone whistling throughout the game for free download? I was looking for that a while back - I'm glad they put it out there.

They also had a remix contest and I've been listening to some of those... and they mostly suck like the majority of remixes out there.

ekim

Just did a (supposedly) no-kill run. In the chapter before the last I don't know why, It counted some kills. If you kill the mollusks, it counts?

Either way, the ending is better than others, like ME3's.
How many missions are coming after the lady Boyle mission?

ctrayne

How many missions are coming after the lady Boyle mission?

I believe there are
missions and Lady Boyle is #5. Prison break counts as #1.

It is pretty easy even still.

No kill is one thing, ghosting is another. Ghost runs are more planning, plotting and skulking than sheer difficulty. Not sure why that's a bad thing. People love Thief for many of the same reasons.

Zeliard

The game is more difficult if you are going Rambo fps style on very hard.

I'm enjoying lethal stealth a lot on Very Hard. Finding different ways to kill enemies while still keeping them unaware of your presence is continuously enjoyable.

DigiMish

Gonna ask again in case it was missed - is there a way to put different weapons/gadgets/powers in either hand? Or am I always stuck with a sword in my right hand?

You think the No Kill and Ghost Achievements are sadistic, I actually think this one will be harder.

Mostly Flesh and Steel
Finish the game without purchasing any supernatural powers or enhancements, besides Blink

Krilekk

Banned
4 hous into the game and I'm still at the beginning of mission 2. The game really does reward you for exploring. I turned off mission markers and such and go for a no kill playthrough on very hard. Boy, this game is entertaining.

4 hous into the game and I'm still at the beginning of mission 2. The game really does reward you for exploring. I turned off mission markers and such and go for a no kill playthrough on very hard. Boy, this game is entertaining.

I originally turned off the mission markers, but I got worried about missing stuff or getting lost haha. I like exploration, but got a bit worried that I'd end up going in completely the wrong direction and mucking something up.

But yeah, I can't believe someone rushed through in 5 hours...seems like a complete waste when the game offers so much.

I bought this game Tuesday. Due to the busiest week at work in a long time, I have yet to play it. I am so stoked to finally get to play this because I know I will love it.

Duffyside

Banned
Really tempted to turn this into an action game right now. I always feel like I'm cheating in games when I use tranqs all the time, but dammit I want to explore the place freely and find everything!

Also I wish the HUD would tell you in some way if the people you're observing are going to be hostile or not before they notice you. Oh, and no way to choke out the hounds? Booo.

Very impressive game though. I love the amount of options one has. Actually looking forward to redoing the Campbell mission as I think I know the nonlethal extra way to do it.

Ferrio

Banned
So... about the heart tool thingie

It's the empress right? I guess I could go back to the prologue and listen to her voice and compare, but I assume it's pretty straight forward that it's her

Terra_Ex

It's the empress right? I guess I could go back to the prologue and listen to her voice and compare, but I assume it's pretty straight forward that it's her

That would be my guess,
there's a part where (I think) the heart is discussing the empress' death and there's a pause before it settles on the fact that she's died or is at least hesistant to say as much. Or something along those lines, can't remember it word for word. It wasn't confirmed or expanded on beyond that in my playthrough though (chaos path as much as possible) tho maybe the ending is different for non-chaos.

1stStrike

Banned

Yeah, pretty sure. If you
use the heart at the Hound some of her comments definitely lead you to believe it's the empress.

I believe they intentionally left that open-ended to make you wonder, but I'm 90% certain of it myself. It's kind of fucked up when you think about it - plus, there's the fact that it's rumored that
the princess is Corvo's daughter, so that would mean that throughout the game he's holding his lover's heart in his hand and listening to her hollowed words in some kind of fucked up state of suspension between life and death.

rybrad

I started out with the intent to do a stealthy no-kill run. Then the killing (accidental
at first
) started and...I liked it.

ironcreed

Banned
I started out with the intent to do a stealthy no-kill run. Then the killing (accidental
at first
) started and...I liked it.

Yeah, I was forced to change my stealth plans pretty early on, lol. I am getting better at it, but will not attempt a full-on stealth run until I get a handle on the environment and gameplay more. Fun as hell game either way.

Satch

Banned
Yeah, pretty sure. If you
use the heart at the Hound some of her comments definitely lead you to believe it's the empress.

I believe they intentionally left that open-ended to make you wonder, but I'm 90% certain of it myself. It's kind of fucked up when you think about it - plus, there's the fact that it's rumored that
the princess is Corvo's daughter, so that would mean that throughout the game he's holding his lover's heart in his hand and listening to her hollowed words in some kind of fucked up state of suspension between life and death.

why would you type this??? now i'm all sad :'(

Dead

well not really...yet
I had to turn off the mission markers not to improve the games difficulty, but simply because it was an eyesore while I explore. :lol

DocSeuss

I want to know what the
heart means when it asks "what have THEY done to me?" Who are the 'they' she's referring to? The Outsider's just one dude, right?

I think the reason there is not a melee non-lethal takedown is because choking takes longer, therefore carries a higher risk of getting caught. I think it is a deliberate design decision.

Oh, for stealth, absolutely. I just wish there was a way to knock somebody out using the melee system for nonlethal action play or a way to maintain a no-kill streak that utilizes the awesome melee system rather than just using sleep darts. Maybe there could be a tradeoff, like a club that can parry and attack but is useless for blocking? Anything that reduces the F5 F9 F5 F9 F5 F9 cycle is a good thing in my view.

Oh, for stealth, absolutely. I just wish there was a way to knock somebody out using the melee system for nonlethal action play or a way to maintain a no-kill streak that utilizes the awesome melee system rather than just using sleep darts. Maybe there could be a tradeoff, like a club that can parry and attack but is useless for blocking? Anything that reduces the F5 F9 F5 F9 F5 F9 cycle is a good thing in my view.

Exactly my only complaint with the game, but I can see the intention if it truly was designed that way. It does seem deliberate otherwise as I can't imagine them overlooking it. I mean you can blink and jump with a body in tow, that's how amazing this game is.

ctrayne

Oh, for stealth, absolutely. I just wish there was a way to knock somebody out using the melee system for nonlethal action play or a way to maintain a no-kill streak that utilizes the awesome melee system rather than just using sleep darts. Maybe there could be a tradeoff, like a club that can parry and attack but is useless for blocking?

Ahh, gotcha. I can see that being cool.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, 3 hours in and I'm only on the first real mission. I don't remember the last time I've taken a game so slowly and just absorbed every minute detail. The world is lovingly crafted, polished, and fascinating. Been doing leathal but stealthy as much as possible. Really fun so far, especially with Shadow Kill. I love the side missions as well. Just brilliant right out of the gate.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
i started the game on normal and im starting to find it way too easy at the moment, thinking of bumping it up some, basically im not a hardcore balls to the wall guy, i just want a bit of a challenge, any suggestions what to turn on/off?

i started the game on normal and im starting to find it way too easy at the moment, thinking of bumping it up some, basically im not a hardcore balls to the wall guy, i just want a bit of a challenge, any suggestions what to turn on/off?

turn off objective markers

improve game by x1000

Salsa

turn off objective markers

improve game by x1000

eh idk about that

other markers sure, but I like exploring and I find it easier to do if I know where the objective is, so I can go pretty much everywhere else before advancing towards it.

In some situation it works and in others it's pretty stupid, but I certainly wouldnt say it improves the game by x1000, lol.

not using quickloads does tho

1stStrike

Banned
why would you type this??? now i'm all sad :'(

Seems like the most viable (or at least the best) explanation for how things pan out and why Corvo
cares for the princess so much
. Not to say it isn't sad or tragic, but it does add a lot more depth to the story and how things pan out.

NBtoaster

Steam stats for this game don't seem that strong ;\ Barely better than Dark Souls numbers at launch. Hope it improves by the weekend.

Top Bottom