• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Tess3ract

Banned
Corvo cares about Emily because he spent a lot of time being the Empress' bodyguard. There was no daddy so Emily treats him as her daddy.

What do you all have your brightness settings at?

I had it where I usually have it in games, had a great, dark atmosphere going.. (beginning game stuff) but..
The part where you have to search for the code to open the safe, the whiskey related one, I couldn't see the shelves behind the safe.. it was COMPLETELY pitch black back there. I finally had to look it up online after 30 minutes of searching. I'd have never found it.
When I changed my brightness settings to what the game recommends, the last symbol being barely visible, it seems like it makes things way too... washed out and bright. But I could see that area from before very easily.

I'm not sure how to handle the brightness settings, I guess. Whether to go as the game recommends, or go how I usually do and maybe risk not being able to see certain clues and stuff in shadows. =/

Jack_AG

Banned
Beat the game and immediately started a no-kill, no superpower (other than blink) run on Very Hard. I am very afraid. This will be fun!

Jack_AG

Banned
What do you all have your brightness settings at?

I had it where I usually have it in games, had a great, dark atmosphere going.. (beginning game stuff) but..
The part where you have to search for the code to open the safe, the whiskey related one, I couldn't see the shelves behind the safe.. it was COMPLETELY pitch black back there. I finally had to look it up online after 30 minutes of searching. I'd have never found it.
When I changed my brightness settings to what the game recommends, the last symbol being barely visible, it seems like it makes things way too... washed out and bright. But I could see that area from before very easily.

I'm not sure how to handle the brightness settings, I guess. Whether to go as the game recommends, or go how I usually do and maybe risk not being able to see certain clues and stuff in shadows. =/
I've noticed the game is very washed out at times. So I just said "meh" and left it as is.

vazel

Banned
Steam stats for this game don't seem that strong ;\ Barely better than Dark Souls numbers at launch. Hope it improves by the weekend.
Yea, I've been checking the stats. ;_;

I'm gonna screencap the stats. Next time someone bitches about how we don't get games like Thief anymore I'm gonna show them those stats.

On the upside, X-Com seems to be doing well.

1stStrike

Banned
This or Borderlands II? Wasn't huge on the first Borderlands...

Also what is the playtime on this one?

I got both, but I can tell you that you'll get a lot more playtime out of Borderlands II. This game, one on play through, is about 9 - 12 hours depending on how slow you go. You can skip stuff and abbreviate that more to about 6 hours or less depending on your playstyle, though.

This is one of those games you'll want to replay multiple times to try out different things (which affect the story, dialogue with characters, the ending, and even the levels themselves) so you can probably get 20 - 30 hours out of this game fairly easily.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
well it was the top seller for a couple days IIRC

I know this isnt the best source but i frequent video game streaming sites and more often than not its very easy to tell which games are doing very well and which are faltering by the traffic of people live streaming their playthroughs. So far i can count on one hand the number of channels ive seen dishonoured on :[, heres hoping good word off mouth makes it a long lifer.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I know this isnt the best source but i frequent video game streaming sites and more often than not its very easy to tell which games are doing very well and which are faltering by the traffic of people live streaming their playthroughs. So far i can count on one hand the number of channels ive seen dishonoured on :[, heres hoping good word off mouth makes it a long lifer.

I just rented the game. If I had money I would bought it. Its a well made game.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
i have to believe that steam sales will make this games legs huge, word of mouth + a % off the price, itll clean up

Fracas

#fuckonami
Just finished the first real mission.

Holy crap. Awesome game so far. Not quite past Borderlands 2 as my GOTY, but not far off either.

Really hope this game sells well. New IPs and ideas like this need to be supported.

vazel

Banned
i have to believe that steam sales will make this games legs huge, word of mouth + a % off the price, itll clean up
But will sale prices be enough. I don't know how reliable imdb is for this stuff but according to them this game had a budget of $25mil. That would mean this game would have to sell near 1 million units full price to break even.

Oh what the...
This game as no NG+? THIS game???

Okay this is stupid. Replay value is gone. Seriously what the fuck?
I don't wan to replay this game six times to level up every power. I want to use everything on mission two, not just my damn two abilities...
Woah this is bullshit.

Kevtones

I got both, but I can tell you that you'll get a lot more playtime out of Borderlands II. This game, one on play through, is about 9 - 12 hours depending on how slow you go. You can skip stuff and abbreviate that more to about 6 hours or less depending on your playstyle, though.

This is one of those games you'll want to replay multiple times to try out different things (which affect the story, dialogue with characters, the ending, and even the levels themselves) so you can probably get 20 - 30 hours out of this game fairly easily.

Hmmm - I'm leaning towards Dishonored because I need a stealth fix and the replay value holds weight for me. Thanks!

SGRemy

Agreed. No NG+ is bullshit. NG+ was patched into Bioshock 1 so maybe they'll patch it into Dishonored inb4 wishful thinking. Fun fact, explosions can kill enemies inside trash bins. -_-

MMaRsu

Oh what the...
This game as no NG+? THIS game???

Okay this is stupid. Replay value is gone. Seriously what the fuck?
I don't wan to replay this game six times to level up every power. I want to use everything on mission two, not just my damn two abilities...
Woah this is bullshit.

Yeah some serious bullshit indeed.. dont understand why that shit isnt in :/.

1st mission side quest question:

If I put the plague into the elixers to kill the gang, does it register as a kill?

Going for a no kill run.

I dunno why people get their shit in a knot about NG+ in games like these, but that's probably because I enjoy replaying these sorts of games by imposing more limitations or quirky playstyles.

Nekofrog

Banned
I'm on the Golden Cat mission, and did the sidequest in the manor, but every time I try to exit the manor my game crashes, from both exits. Every single time. I'm at a stopping point and I am NOT going to start over.

Verified my install files, everything. Any ideas?

Duffyside

Banned
Man, why does the good ending have to be tied to stealth? Killing guys is just so much fun! Just rewired a wall of light and watched ten guys run through it in pursuit. Smiled... then reloaded, not wanting to get the bad ending. It's just not fair!

Solo

GAF told me the Golden Cat was the third mission......buts its only the second proper mission Ive done. What gives?

And just starting the bridge one now, which would be my third.

1stStrike

Banned
I am definitely having more fun on the 2nd play through now that I don't care who I kill. Fun moment today - throw a spinrazor onto a rat and then watch a guy stomp on said rat and die in a a swirl of razor wire.

Definitely haven't done that before in a game.

The guard mumbling is really obnoxious. Does it ever go away or do I have to hear STUPID GOD DAMN MUMBLE MUMBLE throughout the entire game?

vazel

Banned
GAF told me the Golden Cat was the third mission......buts its only the second proper mission Ive done. What gives?

Some people consider the prison escape the first mission since that's the first time you get the results screen. I'm still iffy on what I consider the first mission.

Solo

Some people consider the prison escape the first mission since that's the first time you get the results screen. I'm still iffy on what I consider the first mission.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh

1st mission = 1st assassination mission in my head.

Entire game.

Done with it then. It's really annoying and has a lot of very forced cursing. No way can I put up with that.

I don't mind cursing, but when it's there because they thought it would be cool and mature, it really turns me off. But it's mainly the repetitive mumbling, not so much the cursing.

That plus the game isn't really drawing me in. Nothing about the story interests me. I really need to start trying games for myself instead of blowing $60 on hype.

Derrick01

Banned

People are considering the prison one a proper mission even though it's really not, it's a tutorial in some ways.

What causes the real confusion is we don't know what the game considers the 1st proper mission so when we're discussing length and mission count this debate comes up.

StuBurns

Banned
Done with it then. It's really annoying and has a lot of very forced cursing. No way can I put up with that.

I don't mind cursing, but when it's there because they thought it would be cool and mature, it really turns me off. But it's mainly the repetitive mumbling, not so much the cursing.
Crysis 2 must have brought you out in hives.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
1st mission side quest question:

If I put the plague into the elixers to kill the gang, does it register as a kill?

Going for a no kill run.

I don't think so but,THE WHOLE PLACE GOES TO HELL.

Also Kill that bitch granny rags, but save before you do for a surprise =3

Gonna start this bad boy on the weekend. Is there anything I should know, or any mindset/notions that I should adopt?

One thing I've been told to do is to pick a play style and stick to it; seeing as killing people looks to comprise a lot of fun, I'm going to be a ghosty ghost whom often dabbles in murder.

RedSwirl

This fucking game man. Still in the first mission but this shit feels like Deus Ex 1 all over again. Go through one path, find out you could've gone through another path, etc. Exploration, shit man. T

ScOULaris

Got a chance to play a little more today and upgraded Blink to Level 2. Man, what an improvement. It's so much more useful now that I can warp farther and faster. These guards don't stand a fucking chance.

Top Bottom