• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

MisterC20XX

I really didn't follow the previews, press or hype about this game so playing it came as a total surprise to me. Oh my, the immersion! It's clear the world was crafted with so much love for the genre. I absolutely love the setting. I'm only a couple hours in but I care.. I care about Emily, I care about the situation, I care about everything. Well, that and I'm addicted to reading every book and picking up every coin, can of food, and elixir that I can! :)

Definitely a GOTY contender for me.

RedSwirl

Do any enemies that kill each other through friendly fire count towards chaos rating?

Definitely a GOTY contender for me.

Definitely. Hell man, this might be the best stealth game of the gen so far. That's not saying much though. Before this my favorite stealth game this gen was Crysis 1.

1stStrike

Banned
Every time I hear Callista talk I hear Cersei's voice from Game of Thrones and it just makes me want the next season of Game of Thrones that much more >_>

Finally started the first mission. Blink literally solves all stealth game problems, it's fucking genius. The ability to use it and nightvision without using up total mana as well, amazing. That being said though, this fucking heart, oh my god. Like I wasn't going through the game slowly enough, every NPC type and every unique NPC have between a handful and several dozen unique things about them, it's crazy.

John

Do any enemies that kill each other through friendly fire count towards chaos rating?

haha, i was wondering that too. in the first area with the dudes on stilts some rats attacked and they just shot each other to death with their pistols. i reloaded anyway because i make a quicksave every 15 seconds

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is there a way to turn off the icons of the heart telling you how far away a rune/bone thing is? I have the objective markers off but that's still there.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So far my new graphics card is incredible. Somebody point me toward the holy anti-aliasing for this one. New to ATI :p

diamount

Banned
Story spoilers ahead

Although I'm a lot of fun in this game, the story is just so... predictable, wow the guys betray you despite the heart telling you they couldn't be trusted. Sorry Arkane you've crafted an excellent and visulized world but your amateur writing does you no favours. Something to improve upon in Dishonored 2 (and hopefully there is one!)

aeolist

Banned
I never played Thief so the closest thing I can really compare this to gameplay-wise is Batman AA

Which of course makes me want a bunch more gadgets

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I never played Thief so the closest thing I can really compare this to gameplay-wise is Batman AA

Which of course makes me want a bunch more gadgets

Batman has nothing as amusing as the wire mine. Sticking those on bad guys make me smile.

Derrick01

Banned
Jesus the
flooded
area was really difficult to sneak through and kind of hard to navigate too. I didn't even
find my gear, had to collect new stuff
. It was still kind of fun to get through though.

KingKong

I gotta say I'm a little disappointed that the missions after the first one seem to be more linear and less open-ended. It's not bad, I guess I was just expecting them all to be like the first one

Story spoilers ahead

Although I'm a lot of fun in this game, the story is just so... predictable, wow the guys betray you despite the heart telling you they couldn't be trusted. Sorry Arkane you've crafted an excellent and visulized world but your amateur writing does you no favours. Something to improve upon in Dishonored 2 (and hopefully there is one!)

You know, I tend to disagree with everyone disliking the story...I thought it was very competent and well delivered story, and I don't think the predictability of it takes away from its themes.

Yeah, the heart told you each character's flaws, and it was never hard to imagine the Admiral betraying you; but it was nice seeing other multidimensional characters, like pervy Piero, who still managed to end up heroes. And look at it this way, in Corvo's situation, would you not work with the loyalists despite your misgivings? Who else was there to turn to? It's a rote but well told story with some interesting characters; I quite enjoyed it.

ced

I gotta say I'm a little disappointed that the missions after the first one seem to be more linear and less open-ended. It's not bad, I guess I was just expecting them all to be like the first one

The first mission was like 3 in 1 in size.

I got both, but I can tell you that you'll get a lot more playtime out of Borderlands II. This game, one on play through, is about 9 - 12 hours depending on how slow you go. You can skip stuff and abbreviate that more to about 6 hours or less depending on your playstyle, though.

This is one of those games you'll want to replay multiple times to try out different things (which affect the story, dialogue with characters, the ending, and even the levels themselves) so you can probably get 20 - 30 hours out of this game fairly easily.

I got both as well. You know, some people dog on games that are only around 10 hours. If it's quality then I prefer some shorter games, at times, rather then the developers adding in a bunch of missions that don't really fit, or seem like they just water down the experience. This is especially true when there is a lot of replay value, such as what you mentioned.

I can't wait to start on this and have pretty high hopes for it.

Jack_AG

Banned
Does anyone else think Piero is a nod to John Carmack? The face, glasses, voice, inventor... the first time I saw him I thought of Carmack - then I heard him speak and thought it almost nailed the nuances of his voice.

Am I alone?

Atruvius

One what would difficulty would you guys recommend one should play their first playthrough? Do you unlock harder difficulties after the first playthrough?

I'm on PC if that makes any difference.

I find the atmosphere of this game to be amazing. The post industrial feel is perfectly executed. It feels like a former illustrious city..just hanging on by a thread..not because of a nuclear fall out..but because of the poor decisions of the society.

John

One what would difficulty would you guys recommend one should play their first playthrough? Do you unlock harder difficulties after the first playthrough?

I'm on PC if that makes any difference.

i'm playing on hard with no objective markers (as instructed by RPS) and i think the game might still be a little easy. on the other hand, i've adopted f5/f9 as a mechanic the same way shooters have reload buttons, so it probably hinges on your playstyle.

Salsa

ffffffffFFFFFFFFFFUCK ive been collecting all the bone charms and im at the sewer after the
betrayalton
and it seems I missed one. Loaded a previous save at the sewers and apparently I CANT go back from where I came from for the first time in the whole game

fuck that is CHEAP

zkylon

zkylewd
I was trying to see how many dead soldiers I could fit in a single dumpster and I blinked myself to death by accident. When I loaded back the bodies were gone. We'll never know T_T

epmode

I was trying to see how many dead soldiers I could fit in a single dumpster and I blinked myself to death by accident. When I loaded back the bodies were gone. We'll never know T_T

Bodies disappear on their own, unfortunately. It would be nice if this was fixable though config files.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Looks like I can't get 60 with SSAA 4x at 1080p; Who's got pointers as to what settings to try on an ATI card?

Looks like i'm on the last zone, easy game, almost embarassingly so...and i suck at stealth titles.

They wedged got a solid amount of exploration in, anyone who's played dark messiah and arx will know arkane are really good at level design. And the HL2 inspiration really shines through in that regard.

But the combat just isn't as fun as messiah though. The stealth is totally mediocre, and the thief comparisons in the pre-release PR was way off kilter.

Atruvius

i'm playing on hard with no objective markers (as instructed by RPS) and i think the game might still be a little easy. on the other hand, i've adopted f5/f9 as a mechanic the same way shooters have reload buttons, so it probably hinges on your playstyle.

I'll play like that then. Cheers!

GorillaJu

If you judge the game's stealth on the merits of other stealth games I can see why one would come away feeling like Dishonored lacks the systems and mechanics that make other stealth games great.

But when taken in context of the game, simply stealthing through isn't the goal. The goal is conquering the environment and eliminating the target, and you have such a wide variety of creative options and methods for navigating these excellent levels that I judge it on a different scale. That isn't to say I "forgive" some things, that may be present in Deus Ex, or Syphon Filter or MGS, but rather that you don't need the freedom and extra stealth mechanics when you have the super powers in Dishonored.

I wouldn't go back and play DX and think "Man this stealth is pretty bad. I can't even become a rat to crawl through that drain pipe!"

The most important thing is that the levels and the story are conducive to your creativity and intelligent use of the games mechanics, and in that regard it passes with aplomb. While what made DX great isn't quite present in Dishonored, what makes Dishonored great is absent in games before and will likely be absent in the coming years.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Game continues to be ludicrously gorgeous. I can't think of a 2012 game that has impressed me so consistently with the art. The stylized 18th century portrait design of the characters, the brush stroke laden textures, the elongated proportions of buildings and structures, and the Victorian steampunk as-you-never-knew-it cohesion. It's so damn pretty, like concept art in motion.

GorillaJu

Game continues to be ludicrously gorgeous. I can't think of a 2012 game that has impressed me so consistently with the art. The stylized 18th century portrait design of the characters, the brush stroke laden textures, the elongated proportions of buildings and structures, and the Victorian steampunk as-you-never-knew-it cohesion. It's so damn pretty, like concept art in motion.

It's incredible. I liken it to Team Fortress 2, dipped in an oil bath and then rolled around in soot. What's shocking to me is that pre-release I thought the art looked really disjointed and incohesive. I couldn't have been more wrong.

So for those that beat it
why no further explanation on where the powers came from? what was up with the guy?
Did I miss something?

RedSwirl

Does anyone else think Piero is a nod to John Carmack? The face, glasses, voice, inventor... the first time I saw him I thought of Carmack - then I heard him speak and thought it almost nailed the nuances of his voice.

Am I alone?

Honestly that game came off as more of an Otacon character to me. Any chance they share a voice actor?

Literally the only complaint I have with this game so far are the painfully low resolution textures. I can understand that on consoles, but I was hoping for another level of detail for the PC. A texture pack would complete this game.

Badgerst3

Can I get an estimate on how many people I can kill per level and still keep my ending semi-"good"? Mission 1 and have ended up killing approx half the guards so far. Just got past 2nd electric wall.

I find myself knocking out or sleep darting a first guard or two, getting spotted and then just slicing the rest up. Feel sorta bad but don't want to constantly reload.

Plus how can I not try out a razor wire trap strapped to a rat? Once at least...

GorillaJu

Honestly that game came off as more of an Otacon character to me. Any chance they share a voice actor?

Literally the only complaint I have with this game so far are the painfully low resolution textures. I can understand that on consoles, but I was hoping for another level of detail for the PC. A texture pack would complete this game.

No, Otacon is voice by Christopher Randolph.

Lol

Nekofrog

Banned

it's great looking, except for the graphics

Sober

eh idk about that

other markers sure, but I like exploring and I find it easier to do if I know where the objective is, so I can go pretty much everywhere else before advancing towards it.

In some situation it works and in others it's pretty stupid, but I certainly wouldnt say it improves the game by x1000, lol.

not using quickloads does tho
You should do what I do with objective markers, just go to the journal entry and switch them off. Turn them on for a bit if you need a hint as to where to go/really stuck.

I just kept the heart indicators on because that's the whole point of the thing and even if not every item can be interacted with, I don't really feel like pixel hunting for runes/bone charms (before you say it I know they make noise).

brobban

Stupid question here.
Played for about an hour so, haven't really got the hang of it yet. But is there any obvious way of telling which NPC:s are hostile, and which you can walk up to? I figured, if I've broken into somewhere, I probably shouldn't try and talk to them. But then again, I could speak to the
Granny Rags

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Stupid question here.
Played for about an hour so, haven't really got the hang of it yet. But is there any obvious way of telling which NPC:s are hostile, and which you can walk up to? I figured, if I've broken into somewhere, I probably shouldn't try and talk to them. But then again, I could speak to the
Granny Rags
She's pretty unique. There's another friendly nearby, too, but almost every NPC you'll encounter in a mission is hostile to you. Regard anyone you see as a potential threat (
you can also use the heart on them. Unique dialogue is usually a good sign they're not going to kill you

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
There is a line in a journal at the end which can be interpreted to imply that Corvo was the dad.

This is also evident after the Kaldwin Bridge mission where
Emily has painted a picture of Corvo, and has written "Daddy".

Krilekk

Banned
You should do what I do with objective markers, just go to the journal entry and switch them off. Turn them on for a bit if you need a hint as to where to go/really stuck.

I just kept the heart indicators on because that's the whole point of the thing and even if not every item can be interacted with, I don't really feel like pixel hunting for runes/bone charms (before you say it I know they make noise).

Even if you turn heart indicators off it will show you where the runes are as a glowing orange orb through walls. It just gets rid off the distance indicator.

Enco

After reading about all the graphics options on pc I'm disappointed.

There are hardly any graphical options.

I'm looking forward to playing later tonight though.

Top Bottom