• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Escaped the prison. Can't say that I'm that impressed yet but the game is good and well, it was a tutorial level. Finally a nice lean option.

Somehow sound design in Thief is still better after all these years.

Another complaint - while writing is competent it sounds like they tried to MAKE EVERYTHING CLEAR. I hate that. It's a very subtle border to cross though, a lot of people just don't notice it.

Salsa

ok where the fuck is the
lighthouse elevator key
at the last mission? I swear ive killed everyone like 100 times, enemies appear to be respawning after a bit in this particular section and for the life of me I cant find the key to advance

kami_sama

ok where the fuck is the
lighthouse elevator key
at the last mission? I swear ive killed everyone like 100 times, enemies appear to be respawning after a bit in this particular section and for the life of me I cant find the key to advance

In the uppermost level of the tower you can normally go, there's a hatch you can enter, and then you are inside the elevator.

pantsmith

Dunno if it has been brought up yet but
what the heck is up with Granny? She seems like a nice, crazy old woman and then all of the sudden she has an altar to the Rat Gods built in the middle of a whale carcass. Is she the source of the plague? I only assume as much because of her markings and the fact that she bursts into rats when you try to kill her.

Salsa

aaand Finished. On hard, killing pretty much everyone but avoiding being seen as much as I could (without quickloading), exploring every level as much as I could (got every bone/rune) chaos high ending.

that was the fucking best game of 2012.

I wanna hop in to do an unseen-nonlethal-onlyblink playthrough right now but I think I might play through XCOM before..

fuckin videogames man, we need more like this

subversus

got out of the sewers. The game gets better. Well, they are trying to ease the player in.

Salsa

also it took me this long:

ah94M.png

people complaining about the lenght are either nuts or playing the game on a really boring manner

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just did the Golden Cat level very successfully, only killed 2 people(do those
assassin enemies count? If not I'm not sure who I killed.
).

I also robbed the safe before giving the combination over, because why the fuck not. I laughed when it ended up as an achievement.

ah94M.png

people complaining about the lenght are either nuts or playing the game on a really boring manner

Yeah, as the community manager said you can exploit any game that is really open to get insane speedruns. Why cheat yourself out of $40-60 though.

brobban

She's pretty unique. There's another friendly nearby, too, but almost every NPC you'll encounter in a mission is hostile to you. Regard anyone you see as a potential threat (
you can also use the heart on them. Unique dialogue is usually a good sign they're not going to kill you

Thx, I'll keep it in mind.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Escaped the prison. Can't say that I'm that impressed yet but the game is good and well, it was a tutorial level. Finally a nice lean option.

You really haven't started playing the game yet.

Bodies disappear on their own, unfortunately. It would be nice if this was fixable though config files.

What's funny as I didn't know this. I beat it twice. First time on how I wanted to play, only killing when I was forced except the targets. Second time with no kills at all whatsoever. I'm now on a murder playthrough, literally killing everyone in the entire level minus civilians, and then I noticed that the bodies disappeared. It really does break the immersion. Though now that I'm playing on my 3rd playthrough(also 2nd time on Very Hard difficulty) I can pretty much wipe the floor with the A.I., they are very easy to kill if you have the finesse. It's still a phenomenal game, and probably one of my favorites this gen, I need more!!!

After this murder playthrough, I am gonna start hitting the achievements up. I can't wait.

Did anyone else run into the No Kill Achievement(Steam) not pop up? I know I didn't kill anyone as I never did, and none of the post mission screens said I did either, but it never popped up...,

zkylon

zkylewd
Second disappointment in how systemic the game is: my plan was to attach a razor trap into a dead guy and throw him from a roof into people, like some kind of human bomb. Unfortunately you remove traps as well as ammo/keys/etc. when you grab a body.

I'm not as crazy about the game as I was in the first mission, it's giving me too many Arkham Asylum vibes, which is not really what I'm looking for, because basically, I just blink in, knock a guy out and take him with me to leave him strandled in a roof or some such and imagine what he'll think when he wakes up. Much more than that I can't create without it turning into a slaughter, and it just feels too easy. I'm not really feeling the story either, like many said, it's too clear, Lord Regent is a bad guy that needs dying and there's a meticulously crafted plan you follow and that's it, and you barely even see the guy. I don't even remember which one of the noble-looking fellows was he, since he was on screen like a whole minute at best. All of the great Immersive Sims (System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Thief, even Bioshock) had very strong narratives and protagonists/antagonists that really pushed the story forward, and I feel Dishonored's so far pretty weak in that respect. I do think Emily's great and it's pretty well done how she gives Corvo a lot of personality just by liking him and talking about him, and usually children are terrible in games, so props for that.

I still like the game a lot, I'm just not sure if it's the uncontested GOTY I hoped it will be.

</endrant>

Edit: the game does look AMAZING

ah94M.png

I took my sweet ass time and got most of the runes and bonecharms, I think it took me about 13 hours. Give or take. On my second play through I did it in about 8(all charms and runes, not all the paintings, ghost run) still, it's a great game, which should be replayed over and over.

First impressions based on completing the jail/sewer mission and a bit further: If you're going to steal, steal from the best. The game is giving me a very Bioshock/Arkham Asylum-like feel, and that is most certainly a good thing - arguably two of the best games in the modern era.

I absolutely love the art style, everything holds together really well to form a cohesive and interesting world. Solid and cohesive art design and direction will always trump fancy textures and effects.

I love the world and story so far as well, and I love the presentation. I can see I'm going to enjoy and take my time with this one.

GorillaJu

Just beat it. 21 hours... I want much more.

I understand why people complained about its length. It's so good I just want it to go on forever.

trinest

Not that impressed with the game with all the hype etc. for it.

Probably about 3 missions in? Not to sure need some help:

In the mission where you have to find and aduct that guy who lives on the water front under the bridge. I've busted into his house with pretty much fuck all supplies and health and decided to use what ever I had at my disposal to kill everyone so I can explore the area. Not to sure where I can go, or what I can do next. Theres a room which has electrodes surrounding it, but I don't have any reouting kits left. I also looked around and found a pipe which hovers over the front enterence which I can walk on to get outside, but not sure if theres anywhere I can shift from there.

subversus

Thief, Thief 2 and System Shock 2 still have better sound design than most modern releases. Audio is important but it's often overlooked for more tangible stuff.

I think they are better because they used minimalistic audio design. You could hear every sound separately and every sound was important for gameplay.

Nemesis_

Ermm, does anyone know if the Weepers or whatever count as alerts?

Trying to Ghost this run but it's near impossible if they do >_>

1stStrike

Banned

In the mission where you have to find and aduct that guy who lives on the water front under the bridge. I've busted into his house with pretty much fuck all supplies and health and decided to use what ever I had at my disposal to kill everyone so I can explore the area. Not to sure where I can go, or what I can do next. Theres a room which has electrodes surrounding it, but I don't have any reouting kits left. I also looked around and found a pipe which hovers over the front enterence which I can walk on to get outside, but not sure if theres anywhere I can shift from there.

He is
all the way at the top. I used the rooftops and just blinked onto the balcony, took out the guard and walked in without even going into the apartment building below on my first play through.

KingKong

Don't need kits if you have the time stop (even level 1), just turn it on and sprint past the electric thing. I think that's the way to the non-lethal method

I've been playing this game at a snail's pace, seventeen hours in and I just finished the Ball mission, but I just love it so much. Something about the atmosphere and the slick stealthing controls makes me want to crouch-walk everywhere, peaking around every corner and looking through every keyhole before I enter a room. I started the game choking guards out and hiding their bodies, but after finishing a couple of missions with my 'dead/unconscious bodies found' count too high for my liking I've been trying my best to ghost my way through the game instead. For a long time I was relying only on Agility and Blink, but in the last couple of missions I've been playing around with Bend Time and loving it (fantastic for all
all the irresistible pickpocketing at the Boyle's Ball
).

This game, man. I do sort of wish I could map both mouse buttons to different powers, because on a no kills/alerts playthrough the sword is almost useless (I've only used it to bash down boarded-up doors), but it's so easy to just hotkey between the powers and weapons that it doesn't really matter.

Erm , I think I may be stuck in Galvini's house....

Game takes ages to load when I try and leave through the 2nd and 3rd floors leading to me quitting the game ...ps3

Just got a disc read error but that seems to have been a one off , probably because I kkept hard reseting

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You know how I know that was written by a casual gamer?

"too short"

"too hard"

"too different"

Fuck off.
Heh.

The article mentions each of these as unfounded complaints. It is using examples of things people might say as reasons not to buy it and refuting them.

You must apologize and recant!

One slight criticism I'd make is that for a game that puts you in the shoes of an assassin taking vengeance on a corrupt totalitarian regime, why punish you for killing people? I really should be able to kill grunts to my heart's content.

aeolist

Banned
One slight criticism I'd make is that for a game that puts you in the shoes of an assassin taking vengeance on a corrupt totalitarian regime, why punish you for killing people? I really should be able to kill grunts to my heart's content.

It doesn't punish you, the effects you get from having a high chaos rating seem to make the game more enjoyable if you're playing aggressively.

It doesn't punish you, the effects you get from having a high chaos rating seem to make the game more enjoyable if you're playing aggressively.

Yeah, but isn't there a "darker" ending, all your mayhem ends up having bad consequences? That's really why I'm avoiding it.

Top Bottom