• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

aeolist

Banned
Yeah, but isn't there a "darker" ending, all your mayhem ends up having bad consequences? That's really why I'm avoiding it.

Again I wouldn't call that a punishment, it's just another kind of ending. They give you a choice for a reason, and nobody will force you to kill anyone.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is there no way to get into the
Art Dealer's
house if I didn't save the person being mugged?

You can get in to the building from the bigger doors on the main street.

GorillaJu

Yeah, but isn't there a "darker" ending, all your mayhem ends up having bad consequences? That's really why I'm avoiding it.

So if you go around killing every civilian you see, listening to the backgrounds of the guards and then without regard, slaughter every living being you come across in Dunwall, you think you deserve a good ending?

I went through the game being mostly stealthy, avoiding combat when possible, knocking people out instead of cutting their throats when I had the time and space to do so, and being choosy about which targets to kill and which to save, and I got the best ending.

You don't need to be an angel to get the best ending. The game doesn't "punish" you. You just maybe shouldn't be a murderous troll.

MormaPope

Banned
Is there no way to get into the
Art Dealer's
house if I didn't save the person being mugged?

In the Golden cat mission
there's a room where the art dealer is in a electric chair and he thinks you're a hooker, keep pushing the lever until a mini cutscene happens and he gives you the key to his studio.

Yep....just deleted loads of saves and tried entering Galvini's straight off the bat and it still won't let me exit....

Fuck sake , I was enjoying that :(

During the Golden Cat side mission

Slackjaw asks me to go and find out about one of his men going missing

Not sure whether to just carry on regardless and avoid that area, but then I don't get the help that
Slackjaw
is offering me.

Anyone got any advice? I'm really enjoying this game and want to progress further, but not if I have to purposefully handicap myself to finish a mission.

Nemesis_

You can get in to the building from the bigger doors on the main street.

The balcony doors on the other side of the building are unlocked.

In the Golden cat mission
there's a room where the art dealer is in a electric chair and he thinks you're a hooker, keep pushing the lever until a mini cutscene happens and he gives you the key to his studio.

Thanks guys, is this in the Distillery District or in the Golden Cat area?

So if you go around killing every civilian you see, listening to the backgrounds of the guards and then without regard, slaughter every living being you come across in Dunwall, you think you deserve a good ending?

I went through the game being mostly stealthy, avoiding combat when possible, knocking people out instead of cutting their throats when I had the time and space to do so, and being choosy about which targets to kill and which to save, and I got the best ending.

You don't need to be an angel to get the best ending. The game doesn't "punish" you. You just maybe shouldn't be a murderous troll.

Who said anything about killing civilians and slaughtering every living being? I've only played the first mission and the game put me off killing the guards with the warning it gave. It just seems a bit unneccesary. These guards would kill me on sight and were about to execute me, so I should be able to kill them.

Just beat it on hard at a little over 16 hours, awesome game, I want more.

Want more Outsider stuff if they make a sequel, or hell even dlc

aeolist

Banned
Who said anything about killing civilians and slaughtering every living being? I've only played the first mission and the game put me off killing the guards with the warning it gave. It just seems a bit unneccesary. These guards would kill me on sight and were about to execute me, so I should be able to kill them.

You are able to kill them.

I don't kill City Watch because when I hear them talking they generally sound like OK guys. They're prepared to kill me because I've been assassinating important political figures and they've been told I killed the Empress, who was apparently well-liked by most of them. They don't deserve death in my eyes.

Overseers, thugs, and other assholes get fucking stabbed.

MormaPope

Banned

It's logical in the game world though, more death will mean more meal for rats and in turn more plague. The penalty of being aggressive and mean spirited isn't a bar that will go up or down or left and right, what you do will impact the world you're in. You have every right to kills those guards, but doing the right thing doesn't mean you're exempt from consequences.

You are able to kill them.

I don't kill City Watch because when I hear them talking they generally sound like OK guys. They're prepared to kill me because I've been assassinating important political figures and they've been told I killed the Empress, who was apparently well-liked by most of them. They don't deserve death in my eyes.

Overseers, thugs, and other assholes get fucking stabbed.

It's good to know you don't have to be completely non-lethal anyway. I haven't even pressed the left mouse button behind a guy yet to see the kill animation. Just the same old choking one.

scitek

also it took me this long:

ah94M.png

people complaining about the lenght are either nuts or playing the game on a really boring manner

I have 8 hours played and I'm only on the Golden Cat level. I'm literally going everywhere I can.

I'm on the Golden Cat mission, and did the sidequest in the manor, but every time I try to exit the manor my game crashes, from both exits. Every single time. I'm at a stopping point and I am NOT going to start over.

Verified my install files, everything. Any ideas?

I, too, have this problem. No idea how to fix it, I guess I'll have to skip the mission.

It's logical in the game world though, more death will mean more meal for rats and in turn more plague. The penalty of being aggressive and mean spirited isn't a bar that will go up or down or left and right, what you do will impact the world you're in. You have every right to kills those guards, but doing the right thing doesn't mean you're exempt from consequences.

Fair enough. Are there some characters you actually have to kill?

aeolist

Banned
I love that they motivate me entirely through in-game means, not counting collectibles. Choosing what routes to take or who to kill or spare comes down to the convincing world design, dialogue, and tidbits from the heart rather than min-maxing or metagame factors.

I feel like I want to continue on the missions because justice for the Empress is a good motivation for Corvo, I avoid hurting NPCs who seem like normal people caught up in something big, and I explore because the world itself rewards me for doing so with secrets and art.

I do think the game would be better if Corvo weren't silent and if they do a sequel I'd love to see a more Metroidvania/Batman AA/Dark Souls-type interconnected world design but other than that I have no real complaints.

I have 8 hours played and I'm only on the Golden Cat level. I'm literally going everywhere I can.

I, too, have this problem. No idea how to fix it, I guess I'll have to skip the mission.

Is this the mission inside the Doctor's house?

I also have this problem, and really pissed off because it seems like completing it would herald me a very good reward - plus it's fun. Not sure what to do - I've reverted to earlier saves and gone there straight away but it still won't let me exit without a permanent loading screen.

Edit: Seems like a different area because there are three exits for me. Shit nonetheless because this was going to be my weekend game :[

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I hate you all for being able to play this and I can't because of my silly timing for having my holiday in Egypt now than sitting at home and playing this game. It's everything I want for a core stealth game with a thrilling enviroment to explore in. Everything I hear about this sounds like a dream come true to me. All I can think off is how not only will I get to play this but how this will easily inspire/influence the Thief4 team to get another amazing steam punk stealth game soon after this one. It's beautiful.

ced

This game fucking rocks, I'm really liking things requiring keys/codes as opposed to a dumb mini game, I really don't miss lock picking.

I just got to the Golden Cat, and cleared the area out front. Tonight I'll be going in, speaking of codes, I need one for a safe and I'm hoping the guy is in there. If not I don't where the damn code is, I've searched his place for 30 mins.

scitek

Is this the mission inside the Doctor's house?

I also have this problem, and really pissed off because it seems like completing it would herald me a very good reward - plus it's fun. Not sure what to do - I've reverted to earlier saves and gone there straight away but it still won't let me exit without a permanent loading screen.

Edit: Seems like a different area because there are three exits for me. Shit nonetheless because this was going to be my weekend game :[

There are three floors, each with an exit. It's the same area. I'd like to not skip the area if possible. Like you said, it seemed kind of helpful with the OTHER mission in the area.

I hate you all for being able to play this and I can't because of my silly timing for having my holiday in Egypt now than sitting at home and playing this game. It's everything I want for a core stealth game with a thrilling enviroment to explore in. Everything I hear about this sounds like a dream come true to me. All I can think off is how not only will I get to play this but how this will easily inspire/influence the Thief4 team to get another amazing steam punk stealth game soon after this one. It's beautiful.

Raphael Colantonio was the guest speaker at our latest IGDA meeting here in montreal, and he was making jokes that there was plenty of Thief 4 devs in the house that night(The meeting was held at about 3 blocks from the Eidos Montreal offices where Thief 4 is being made).

There are three floors, each with an exit. It's the same area. I'd like to not skip the area if possible. Like you said, it seemed kind of helpful with the OTHER mission in the area.

Yeah :[

I'm actually incredibly annoyed about it, because the game has been so good up until this, both performance and content wise.

I'm trying to think of any possible workarounds to try :/

But hey! Maybe it'll be incentive for a replay :p

GorillaJu

I'm saying, hypothetically, if you go down the path of chaos, chaos will find you.

You don't have to be an angel to get the good ending. I killed plenty of assassins, tallboys, overseers, etc. But I didn't kill weepers (as they're citizens and they say there's a cure), I generally avoided killing the city guard, and I didn't kill gangsters either, unless they attacked me first. My chaos rating was "low."

I think games have cultured us to generally be afraid of anything less than a perfect play through. If you don't plan to go through a game multiple times, you want to see the best ending on your first completion. Especially since it's on your first run that you establish your "canon" character, and its subsequent runs where the main character feels more like a clone and that your decisions are inconsequential, as you've already cemented the result you wanted in your first go.

Dishonored doesn't force you to be perfect, and you have time to correct your ways if you went on a mad killing spree during a mission and raised your chaos level to high.

aeolist

Banned
Raphael Colantonio was the guest speaker at our latest IGDA meeting here in montreal, and he was making jokes that there was plenty of Thief 4 devs in the house that night(The meeting was held at about 3 blocks from the Eidos Montreal offices where Thief 4 is being made).

Eidos Montreal is really going to have to step up their game to make Thief 4 match this. They have better writing and dialogue in DEHR but the gameplay doesn't measure up at all.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I think my favourite moment of the game so far is killing almost everybody during the prison escape. I fucked up stealth in the last area and people came out FROM EVERYWHERE. I killed them all in less than a minute. All my careful stealth playthrough went to shit. I was standing there observing bodies, thinking about the promise I gave myself - do not reload if I fuck up my stealth.

So I went to the sewers and soldier's dialogue there about me killing guards just rubbed salt into the wound.

Gong

I spent literally hours just messing around in this last night, have only done the first two missions but I utterly adore it. So glad I listened to my gut on this one, It just feels so good but importantly, very flexible in how you can approach each mission. I've been mixing and matching my style, really just to see how the NPC's react to my actions and I've been delighted with the results

Close to the end of the Overseer Campbell mission, I dropped two guards (didn't kill them, just made them unconscious) and opened the two doors so I could lure the final one patrolling the halls. True to form, in he came, found the two guards and I let loose a swarm of rats on him. Sick I know, but I loved that I was afforded the scope to perform such actions on the fly.

Great fun.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hunh, http://www.gameinformer.com/p/dishonored_world_map.aspx

The map itself's a bit sparse, but some of the tidbits are pretty interesting.
The world’s calendar has an interesting feature. After 13 months of 28 days, there is always some indeterminate amount of time left over before the astrological clock resets. The High Overseer of the Abbey of the Everyman (the religion of the world) dictates what this amount of time will be, and so begins the Fugue Feast. This becomes a period of sanctioned free anarchy. Existing “out of time,” the people can do what they want without consequences. Kill a rival. Sleep with a stranger’s wife. Do unspeakable things. Anything is allowed during the Fugue Feast.
Well at least they're morally consistent.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member

That's pretty amusing to hear, I imagine some of the leads had a good chat with Raphael or even brought him to see how Thief4 was shaping up and exchanging game mechanics/design with the given genre. I just have to wait one week untill I can play this :(

KingKong

Eidos Montreal is really going to have to step up their game to make Thief 4 match this. They have better writing and dialogue in DEHR but the gameplay doesn't measure up at all.

I thought the world was much more realized in Human Revolution.

Thief is also a different type of stealth game, so if they do it justice (lots of focus on light and shadow, sound direction, tools like rope, moss, water arrows, being fucked if more than one enemy spots you), I would be all over it

Pardon if this has been asked many times already, but I'm wondering where the cheapest place is to get Dishonored as a digital download at the moment. Does anyone know?

GorillaJu

I don't consider 17 hours a short game, personally. Between 12 and 20 hours is the perfect length for a story-driven game, to me.

That said, Dishonored is so dense and wonderful, I wish it would have gone on for much longer.

Jack_AG

Banned
Couple of quick questions for those who beat the game with NO KILLS...

Can you restart a mission after it is complete in case someone died during your mission and will it count in your save as a "no kill" towards the achievement if you replay it with no kills after it has been completed with a kill?

I'm curious because of mission 3 - Golden Cat:
After first talking to Slackjaw and moving out from the distillery to investigate his dead friend... you are attacked by a few assassins. I did some trick maneuvering and blinking to hide from those assassins and managed to knock one of them out unconscious. I could not find the second anywhere. The thugs outside the distillery were all chill and the 2nd assassin was gone.

OK, i thought, I'll continue on, nobody died. I find Slackjaw's friend, make off with his audio file, come strolling back to the distillery and lo and behold... a dead assassin in front of the distillery door. The thugs must have killed him. I double check on the assassin I neutralized in a bedroom to make sure he is "unconscious" and he's still there. I am hoping this does not count against MY kill count. I know rats can kill people you leave on the ground so I always make sure to place them on higher ground after knocking them out.

I will be livid if I finish this and that counts as a kill.

so is there any way to dispose of the pendletons non lethally without doing the slackjaw quest ? Stealing it from him or something

Golden cat spoilers

Top Bottom