• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Satch

Banned
Help me out here guys. I've heard the massive buzz for this game and I've taken a few sneak peaks so I have a roundabout idea that I'll like it (I don't wanna see too much) BUT..

I really don't like stealth games. At least, not games that force you to stealth. I'd like to be able to choose when I go all sneaky and when I go in all guns blazing. Am I screwed here, are there parts where stealth is not an option or are you really offered the freedom to play how you want?

you can do whatever you want

Mechazawa

Help me out here guys. I've heard the massive buzz for this game and I've taken a few sneak peaks so I have a roundabout idea that I'll like it (I don't wanna see too much) BUT..

I really don't like stealth games. At least, not games that force you to stealth. I'd like to be able to choose when I go all sneaky and when I go in all guns blazing. Am I screwed here, are there parts where stealth is not an option or are you really offered the freedom to play how you want?

I'm halfway into the game and, assuming you don't consider the disgusting amount of damage enemies do to you at higher difficulty levels as being "forced into stealth", there hasn't been a single thing in this game that I've done that I couldn't have accomplished by bumrushing the shit out of my target and killing everything in front of me.

And you're more than capable of switching from stealth to open killing(and vice versa)at the drop of a hat.

Ferrio

Banned
Did you have to knock him out? I saved him
in Campbell's secret champers
then he talked to me for a bit and walked away.

I poisoned campbell, which would cause curnow to call the guards. So I reloaded, and as campbell was dying I put a sleeper hold on curnow.

Persona86

Banned
I'm trying to decide between this an Hitman: Absolution. Both are tempting, but I can really only afford one. Damn.

I'm biased because I love hitman games, so you know my answer. But real answer is try to save up and get both, and it doesn't have to be ASAP, take your time.

Lizardus

Just finished the second (third) mission,
House of Pleasure
felt a LOT more linear than the first (second) one.

Anyway
Was there an outsider shrine in the second mission? I tried to find but but didn't see any

ctrayne

I poisoned campbell, which would cause curnow to call the guards. So I reloaded, and as campbell was dying I put a sleeper hold on curnow.

Cool. Despite your dumpster issues, that's another wrinkle in that mission I hadn't considered.

I tossed both drinks, followed them down to Campbell's room (which I had already looted, of course), and as Campbell was pulling out a weapon to kill Curnow, I blinked behind him and knocked him out. Curnow thanked me but told me to make myself scarce. Then I hauled Campbell to the branding room branded his ugly face for a non-lethal "disposal". There's a great little bit much later on in Mission 7 you can stumble across if you brand Campbell instead of killing him.

Just finished the second (third) mission,
House of Pleasure
felt a LOT more linear than the first (second) one.

I'm honestly not sure how Mission 3 can be called linear in any fashion. The
Golden Cat
has a bazillion ways of getting in and out, quietly and loudly, and it's an interesting building in terms of architecture and navigation. The location of the targets are also randomized each playthrough, so sometimes you can use the steam room for an "accident" or push a target off of a balcony, etc.

Edit: reposting xelios' screen shot of the area because it's so pretty
dishonored2012-10-1013lp73.png

spirity

you can do whatever you want

I'm halfway into the game and, assuming you don't consider the disgusting amount of damage enemies do to you at higher difficulty levels as being "forced into stealth", there hasn't been a single thing in this game that I've done that I couldn't have accomplished by bumrushing the shit out of my target and killing everything in front of me.

And you're more than capable of switching from stealth to open killing(and vice versa)at the drop of a hat.

Thanks guys.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My playthrough will probably take some time. I'm playing on Very Hard which I imagine takes a bit more time just by itself, and I'm also experimenting a lot with seeing what I can do. I'm doing a lethal playthrough and I don't want to get repetitive with how I dispatch enemies, so I try to come up with creative ways to do so, which is a blast.
So very true, and not just with regard to creative kills, but creative ways to do whatever you feel like accomplishing. In mission one,
when I decided I wanted to clear the backyard of guards entirely to explore it at my leisure, I started by tranquilizing every guard with a hound at his side. Then I blink-choked the loners, and stashed them in a pile on the roof. Finally it was just lonely confused hounds left walking around, so I got out the blade. Without their masters it was very easy to gut them all until silence fell upon the area.

The game is at its best when you look at a scenario and think, "I wonder if [x] would work." The answer is almost always yes. Then you try it and:
a) succeed and feel like a badass
b) fail due to poor execution or an extra variable, and either die or scramble to make the best of it, usually leaving a few corpses in the process.

I also make it a point to talk to everyone, read whatever I find, i.e. the books and the posters on the wall, and generally immerse myself. And I listen to the poor bastards' amusing conversations before I violently send them to their deaths.
Hope you're using the heart on them too. I love being able to play judge, jury and executioner with that thing. Shit, just realized I
could've used it on Curnow. Damn!

I wish I started on Very Hard because Hard is not really difficult at all so far.
Can switch it at any time.

ctrayne

The game is at its best when you look at a scenario and think, "I wonder if [x] would work." The answer is almost always yes. Then you try it and:
b) fail due to poor execution or an extra variable, and either die or scramble to make the best of it, usually leaving a few corpses in the process.

Hope you're using the heart on them too. I love being able to play judge, jury and executioner with that thing. Shit, just realized I

Yes, yes, yes. This should be on the box.

ctrayne

Should I get Dark Vision or will I feel too much like I'm cheating?

Not cheating. They did put it in for a reason, you know. :p

It has enough limitations to not be overpowered, but I didn't use it a lot and left it at level 1. It only highlights enemies up to a certain range away, and it times out after 20-30 seconds.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Depends how you use it I suppose, if you stayed in it constantly I imagine it would make things a bit too easy (it recharges like Blink). As a "has that guy in this building turned his back yet?" button, I think it's awesome.

Zeliard

Exactly. Like the best sandbox games, it encourages and allows you to be creative in how to handle various situations, and then if something goes wrong, you have a variety of options with which to wing it.

..Ah, shit.
I forgot to use it on him
. Does anyone have a save near there and make a video of it? I've already gone past that and I don't have a save.

Atruvius

Goddamn this game is great! I'm still at the first assassination mission and have played 4 hours already! Have done 3 side quests in the first assassination mission level.

I recommend upgrading teleportation first. So much fun zapping around rooftops, teleporting right behind an enemy and take him to strangle hold.

In my first playthrough I'm trying be as sneaky as I can and kill as few enemies as possible. Fortunately load times are only seconds long so reloading isn't an issue.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
For anyone who has bought the PC version boxed copy - is there steam key or anything for activation as well?

Yep. I got a steam key with mine.

It's pretty much required later in the game. There's no reason to use it constantly, but it is an invaluable tool to get your bearings.

Goddamn this game is great! I'm still at the first assassination mission and have played 4 hours already! Have done 3 side quests in the first assassination mission level.

I recommend upgrading teleportation first. So much fun zapping around rooftops, teleporting right behind an enemy and take him to strangle hold.

In my first playthrough I'm trying be as sneaky as I can and kill as few enemies as possible. Fortunately load times are only seconds long so reloading isn't an issue.

Yeah, Agility II and Blink II are the most important upgrades, imo. Together, they give you so much latitude in your traversal.

Cool. Despite your dumpster issues, that's another wrinkle in that mission I hadn't considered.

I tossed both drinks, followed them down to Campbell's room (which I had already looted, of course), and as Campbell was pulling out a weapon to kill Curnow, I blinked behind him and knocked him out. Curnow thanked me but told me to make myself scarce. Then I hauled Campbell to the branding room branded his ugly face for a non-lethal "disposal". There's a great little bit much later on in Mission 7 you can stumble across if you brand Campbell instead of killing him.
What was this bit you're referring to, I must have missed it.

Syntsui

I think I will download this game from PSN tonight. How good is the PS3 version? Considering it's a Bethesda game I'm scared to buy it, is it worth it?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
What was this bit you're referring to, I must have missed it.

If you break both glasses, Campbell will try to kill Curnow another way and lead him down to a wall with a statue that opens up to a secret room. While Curnow is looking at a painting he takes out his sword and you can take him out, you'll be thanked(sorta) and he walks away. Then you have free reign to do whatever with Campbell, if you go to the interrogation room you can strap him in the chair and brand him with the heretic symbol from upstairs.

The ending. That was it? LOL. This game had no plot. I was expecting at least some interesting characters, but nope. And that twist. So lame.

Can't help but feel disappointed. Especially after how amazing and refreshing that first proper mission was. Felt like the game ran out of new tricks after that.

Edit: I guess Granny Rags was okay. And the fourth mission was one of my favourite environments in a game ever. Even if the actual mission that took place there was stupidly simple and easy.

jaaz

If you break both glasses, Campbell will try to kill Curnow another way and lead him down to a wall with a statue that opens up to a secret room. While Curnow is looking at a painting he takes out his sword and you can take him out, you'll be thanked(sorta) and he walks away. Then you have free reign to do whatever with Campbell, if you go to the interrogation room you can strap him in the chair and brand him with the heretic symbol from upstairs.

That is amazing. Had no idea you could do that. The latitude to go about things in different ways is really something special in this game.

That's not the "little bit" later on. It's actually as a result of the action you mention:

At one point during your hunt for the "whalers" you come the now branded-Campbell in his solitary confinement, only he is now a Weeper. There is a note left behind that acts as his sort of last testament and it mostly revolves around blaming Corvo for everything. ;)

Guri

I'm loving it so far. Exploring and trying different scenarios. I have 9 hours and I just did Campbell's mission.

I am very sad right now. This game continually fails to install on my 360 even after I have attempted every trick I could find online. The disc is pristine yet fails around half way through constantly. The warning at the top of the game telling me the optimal way to play it is having it installed is only making me feel worse.

Can you guys these think of anything i can do?

guest1321

I am very sad right now. This game continually fails to install on my 360 even after I have attempted every trick I could find online. The disc is pristine yet fails around half way through constantly. The warning at the top of the game telling me the optimal way to play it is having it installed is only making me feel worse.

Can you guys these think of anything i can do?

Just don't install it. To my knowledge it only affects load times. My guess is the amount of time you put into figuring out how to get it to install will be longer than additional time it is going to take to load.

MrBig

I think I will download this game from PSN tonight. How good is the PS3 version? Considering it's a Bethesda game I'm scared to buy it, is it worth it?

The developer is Arkane, not Bethesda, and the game is made using Unreal 3, so it will run as well as any other UE3 game on that system.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Which ones did you find worthwhile? I never felt like they were helping me. Granted, looking at the list it seems the few I missed just so happen to be the best. >_>
Well first off, while they always appear in the same places, which ones appear where is random.

I've only got 4 so far but 2 of them are quite useful for me. I don't use health potions, so the "more health from omnomnoms" is a godsend. Strong Hands is crucial to my character. The other two I have are useless for me but would be good for someone with a combat-heavy playstyle.

:-/

Not for me.
There's a few that are great, but overall I haven't been as impressed with what they offer as I hoped. However I don't think I got them all. I think acrobat is one of the most useful (something like you aren't slowed when weapons are out or something.)

Mainly, the potion ones aren't very useful to me. Drinking from sink for mana is a good one.

Dennis

Banned
I am in the Golden Cat mission. Is the game much longer?

I have played 10-12 hours already (is there any way to see playtime?).

10 hour game my ass.

d00d3n

Anyone who has played the game with both mouse and keyboard and gamepad? What works best? I would prefer to play the game in front of my tv because of the visual benefits, but I will make an exception if there is a good reason for it. Is the game mainly designed around a console ui like deus ex: human revolution, or does mouse and keyboard actually make the game better?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There's a few that are great, but overall I haven't been as impressed with what they offer as I hoped. However I don't think I got them all. I think acrobat is one of the most useful (something like you aren't slowed when weapons are out or something.)
Need that. Totally suits my style.
What's with the mixed reception this game is receiving? Just finished the first mission and loving it so far.
Dunno what you mean... overwhelmingly positive critical response does not appear mixed to me
KuGsj.gif
Not everyone is going to like every game but the majority in here seem rather fond of it as well

Risible

No, cheating is using the Time Stop power.

It makes me laugh to think what it must look like to an outside observer:

Group of three guards: "Hey you! What are you doing!"
Observer blinks and suddenly I'm standing there with three dead guards on the ground. Then they watch as I pick each one up and throw them over a bridge or in a closet or whatever my chosen body-disposal method is at that time. Would have to be a real WTF moment for someone :).

Risible

Do the optional side mission.

And let me take this chance to say all bone charms are pretty much useless. Not even gonna bother with them on subsequent playthroughs.

Whaaaat? The drinking from the sink for mana one rules. The move faster while in stealth one does as well. I only have about 6 of them, but the three I use are very helpful.

Top Bottom