• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

KingKong

There's a few that are great, but overall I haven't been as impressed with what they offer as I hoped. However I don't think I got them all. I think acrobat is one of the most useful (something like you aren't slowed when weapons are out or something.)

Yeah I got that one, one that increases mana bar (awesome), weepers doing less damage, rats only attack when I'm closer, some white rat one that's meh and then a few other crappy ones

Getting up to 6 charms is very cheap from the mechanic guy though, like less than 1k. I don't know what else to spend money on, I've bought the boots from him, the rune, the charm upgrade and the zoom (which I don't use much)

Also I'm basically swimming in runes, I've just finished the 5th or 6th mission and I have Agility 2, Blink 2, Possession 2, Dark Vision 2, and Bend Time 1. I have like 4 runes that I could spend but I'll probably just save them for Bend Time 2. I think I would have liked less runes so I would have to make hard choices, some of the powers seem much more useless than others (like windblast and the adrenaline meelee) so if people just explore a little bit, they will have pretty much everything they could want. I missed like 4-5 runes too

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
I'd have to say my favorite kill was 3 guys talking on a bridge. I blinked into the middle and by accident during the blink ran into one guy but sent him flying into the air and over the edge. I then attacked the one I blinked behind and killed him clean. I then blinked straight up and came down on the other guy with a jump down assassination.

neoism

I am in the Golden Cat mission. Is the game much longer?

I have played 10-12 hours already (is there any way to see playtime?).

10 hour game my ass.

10-12 more really depends if your slow or not.... I got done with the Boyle mission the one after your next and just got on 20 hours... so I'm looking at easily 30+

Bone charms are there to supplement your play style.

If you were playing with a focus on combat Whirlwind would be pretty much indispensable. As well as falling star probably, or whichever is the one the gives you mana for air assassinations.

Dennis

Banned
10-12 more really depends if your slow or not.... I got done with the Boyle mission the one after your next and just got on 20 hours... so I'm looking at easily 30+

Yeah thats my feeling.

I have seriously come to the conclusion that every time I might as well multiply the game length estimates by 2x - 4x because I always take waaaaay longer.

I am constantly amazed when I go on GAF the day after a game comes out and people are like: "Just finished the game"

Jesus, people, enjoy your games, don't rush.

f0rk

On the first mission
I poisoned the target and saved the other Captain dude. Some guards come in and the Captain slays them all, and I run in the window to grab the book then run out again as the 'lockdown' happened. I just left the guy there. So I'm sneaking away along the ledges, the guards below not even looking alert, when the Captain sprints out the front door and done some steps without any of the guards trying to stop him and I get a 'target saved' success notification. Is that how it's meant to happen lol?

John

I'm really surprised to see people reporting 20-30 hour playtimes. I thought I played extremely slowly; I pretty much only used blink and the nonlethal takedown (waiting between each blink for free mana), I collected every rune and bone charm, I did every sidequest, and I explored everywhere. And I just wrapped up my playthrough in what Steam tells me was 13 hours (incl 1-2 hours of alt-tab)

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah thats my feeling.

I have seriously come to the conclusion that every time I might as well multiply the game length estimates by 2x - 4x because I always take waaaaay longer.

I am constantly amazed when I go on GAF the day after a game comes out and people are like: "Just finished the game"

Jesus, people, enjoy your games, don't rush.

There's taking things slow and then there's taking screenshots every 10 steps ;)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
On the first mission
I poisoned the target and saved the other Captain dude. Some guards come in and the Captain slays them all, and I run in the window to grab the book then run out again as the 'lockdown' happened. I just left the guy there. So I'm sneaking away along the ledges, the guards below not even looking alert, when the Captain sprints out the front door and done some steps without any of the guards trying to stop him and I get a 'target saved' success notification. Is that how it's meant to happen lol?
Well, it's not the only way it can happen, but sure. Good job!

Dennis

Banned
On the first mission

There is a better way. I give you a......solid B rating!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
WHAT. Must have.

I have max mana up, max health up, mana from drinking from a sink, health from drinking from a sink, potions sometimes fully restore mana, and additional health from food. I always have 10 of each potion because I never need to use them, lol.

Andrew.

Banned
My buddy found a bone charm in mission 1 that increases the speed at which you can chokehold mofos. I want it so bad, but I love how they are all randomized.

I don't get this. Chapter 7 was great fun. Plenty of ways to do things, plenty of alternate paths and optional areas. Excellent atmosphere too. There's a whole map/section that you can bypass if you don't look for it.

It's not as open-ended as Chapter 2 or 3, but it's on par with an average Deus Ex or Thief level.

Yeah I was wrong. Chapter 7 was longer than expected and there were many open areas...so my bad!

I'm in Chapter 8 now and this is clearly my game of the year...WOW
Please, Arkane give me more...I'll pay any price for any DLC

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My buddy found a bone charm in mission 1 that increases the speed at which you can chokehold mofos. I want it so bad, but I love how they are all randomized.
Strong Arms. It's my jam.

edit: Holy crap, I realized I never even went to
the kennels
in mission one. Damnit! Next playthrough.

1stStrike

Banned
Conversations vary on the second play through from what I'm noticing. Here's one that happened on the first level:

In the first play through as you're on your way to Samuel in the back once you've finished your main mission you can see 3 guards in a room. One starts talking saying he's sick and that he wants them to put him out of his misery before he causes problems for other people. So, he gets on his knees and starts saying the scriptures and they kill him with a single sword stroke.

However, in the second play through that same conversation is different - this time he's trying to make them believe he's not sick and they are nasty to him and force him on his knees. They then just kill him and toss his body on the floor while complaining about what they're going to do with his corpse in order to prevent the infection from spreading.

Nice detail and definitely why you should still take your time on your next play through.

aeolist

Banned
I'd be up for buying lots of DLC for this game, which is a rare thing for me (not that I really mind DLC mostly, I just ignore it).

Added optional tweaks for the existing game would be really cool too, or even official mod support (I can dream ;_;)

Andrew.

Banned
edit: Holy crap, I realized I never even went to
the kennels
in mission one. Damnit! Next playthrough.

Yeah I completely avoided that place. I ghosted all of mission 1 perfectly. The
kennels
would've screwed that up for me big time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Conversations vary on the second play through from what I'm noticing. Here's one that happened on the first level:

In the first play through as you're on your way to Samuel in the back once you've finished your main mission you can see 3 guards in a room. One starts talking saying he's sick and that he wants them to put him out of his misery before he causes problems for other people. So, he gets on his knees and starts saying the scriptures and they kill him with a single sword stroke.

However, in the second play through that same conversation is different - this time he's trying to make them believe he's not sick and they are nasty to him and force him on his knees. They then just kill him and toss his body on the floor while complaining about what they're going to do with his corpse in order to prevent the infection from spreading.

Nice detail and definitely why you should still take your time on your next play through.

...fuck.

I neutralized all three of those guys before having a chance to hear any conversation whatsoever... Should go back up to the roof and wake them up. "SAY WHAT YOU WERE GONNA SAY!"

Ferrio

Banned
...fuck.

I neutralized all three of those guys before having a chance to hear any conversation whatsoever... Should go back up to the roof and wake them up. "SAY WHAT YOU WERE GONNA SAY!"

I didn't hear the first part, but quickly gathered they were going to kill him. So I went and saved that guy. OOPS

MedIC86

Played a few missions and the gameplay is very good....but (maybe im the only one) i would have preffered if they would make the gfx a bit more realistic, and not the semi cell shaded stuff. I mean the game has a nice own style, but i dont feel like a cool assassin in this cartoon world so to say.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Played a few missions and the gameplay is very good....but (maybe im the only one) i would have preffered if they would make the gfx a bit more realistic, and not the semi cell shaded stuff. I mean the game has a nice own style, but i dont feel like a cool assassin in this cartoon world so to say.
You may get used to it.

Being memorable is much more valuable than being realistic.

I dunno, I like the art style, but the game just looks so ugly. It struck me on the 360, but seeing Dennis' shot above makes me think it's not all that much better on the PC.

zkylon

zkylewd
Oh, it's random? I also found it early and thought it was crazy OP, but that's pretty great. It's certainly made its impact.

Nekofrog

Banned
So for $60, I've been able to play a grand total of 2 hours due to game crashing bug. Really shitty, because I was enjoying it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
How do I
brand the overseer
? I took the
brand
but there is no option to use on
the sleeping overseer

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
How do I
brand the overseer
? I took the
brand
the sleeping overseer
Not for nothing, and I'm happy to answer your question if I can, but this style of using spoilers is absolutely pointleds. Ityped this without look at my screen.

go like, Mission 3 ending:
spoilyspoilyspoily

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
How do I
brand the overseer
? I took the
brand
the sleeping overseer

This is not how you spoiler something, anyway
knock him out and then carry the body to the interrogation room and put him in the chair, you can then brand him.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I'm disappointed to hear about the story going nowhere, but this game.... wow. I don't think I have ever played something before that gives you such a distinct feeling of badass-ness. Sure, there have been tons of games where you do cooler and crazier stuff, but none quite like this that provide so many opitions and choices to fulfill your actions and achieve your goals. I really feel like the developers have struck something special here in making you feel like your choices are one-of-a-kind, and unique to you, almost as if you are doing something no one has thought of before. That is something truly magnificent to feel in a game nowadays, and completely badass.

Enco

This game is amazing.

Played for over 2 hours and still haven't completed the first assasination.

No objective indicators + context based mana/health + hard mode + no aiming reticle = amazing

First game I'm trying to play without objectives. Feels good mang.

Great art style, interesting story (not that I've seen much) and amazing teleportation.

edit: just knocked out a guy and threw him off a small cliff. He landed on his head and blood spurted out. Didn't expect that :lol

diamount

Banned
How do I
brand the overseer
? I took the
brand
the sleeping overseer

What I did was smash the glasses in the Overseer's bedroom so him and the good captain go to his secret leisure area, then I shoot him with a sleep dart before he goes to impale the captain and take him to the torture room.

Zeliard

If somebody still wants to keep the crosshair up for practical reasons but wants it to be as out-of-the-way as it can otherwise be, consider turning opacity down to 10 and use its "simple" setting. It makes it almost imperceptible during normal play, but when you need to aim accurately at something, it's available.

Salsa

hey remember yesterday when I hadnt finished this game and the sense of awesomeness and wonder while I was exploring every place for the first time?

fuck ;_;

I dunno, I like the art style, but the game just looks so ugly. It struck me on the 360, but seeing Dennis' shot above makes me think it's not all that much better on the PC.

It's absolutely beautiful.

E0A4AFBEEE7526F634CB9C51456E5F65BEDAB054

Right, after the first two missions I feel I have a good grasp of how the stealth works in this game. It's always weird starting a new stealth game because each of them has different quirks and you need to figure out how to play in a style that works with each given game.

Tomorrow I'm going to restart the game so I'm not being so clumsy during the first two missions and enjoy the ride from there.

From what I've seen so far it's really good. Looks great on PC, the stealth mechanics are strong, there seem to be a lot of paths and I think it will really hit that Deus Ex itch for me. The universe is absolutely great too - so much atmosphere and a wonderful art direction. Feels a lot like Half-Life 2, unsurprisingly.

The story seems lackluster, which is a shame, but I haven't got far enough to say that definitively.

ekim

I'm really surprised to see people reporting 20-30 hour playtimes. I thought I played extremely slowly; I pretty much only used blink and the nonlethal takedown (waiting between each blink for free mana), I collected every rune and bone charm, I did every sidequest, and I explored everywhere. And I just wrapped up my playthrough in what Steam tells me was 13 hours (incl 1-2 hours of alt-tab)

+1

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
it seems that the game bombed (on PC at least). Only 19 000 people have been playing it on PC in the last 48 hours. It equals 200 000 copies sold max. What a shame. I hope console versions will do well and the game will sell 1,5 million copies by the end of the year. I'm sure it will do alright in the long run and since Bethesda isn't a public company long-term perfomance is important to them.

I mean if Bethesda managed to sell 2 million copies of Brink in one year they will manage to do the same number for Dishonored (and at higher price, I think).

Also the game was rated very well so I'm sure they will give it one more try.

Top Bottom