• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Riposte

The art style isn't bad, but the game goes out of its way to be portray ugly things most of the time. Also the world doesn't feels very alive, not even the first Deus Ex felt this dead and that was going for the same feel (a plague and martial law in effect). I would say it is uneven in appearance, you get moments of good art design every once in awhile. I like how sunlight looks a lot though.

Mana seems very plentiful. I suppose if I abused the hell out of time manipulation to make every fight easy I would run out at some point.

EDIT: This game makes me want to play the new Hitman real bad.

ekim

I'm consistently having the feeling I'm missing something when blinking over the roofs and sneaking around guards.

hey remember yesterday when I hadnt finished this game and the sense of awesomeness and wonder while I was exploring every place for the first time?

fuck ;_;

Man you make me want to tear into this. I have had it installed but it is been a busy week so I haven't even started it yet.. Tomorrow I plan to go all out and play it for a long time.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
So I finished the first proper mission, clocked 6 hours.

So far it feels like a worthy successor in the genre and it's a bit more flexible and harder than Human Revolution.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
some few changes i made had a similar problem with darksiders 2 i didn't like washed out look. whats everyone think

old
8ce2f447f7c6a639dec4d28b6652fd4897108cce.jpg
[/IMG]

new
a7a9356e10ec8cde88b71397247c2052e6bcf465.jpg
[/IMG]

taoofjord

Anyone else have a hard time relaxing and just enjoying this game (and other games like it)? It saddens me because Thief and System Shock are my favorite games of all time and this is, basically, a straight up sequel to Thief.

The problem is that I worry too much:

- I want to enjoy the powers, but I don't want to buy any that make the game too easy. Or any that change the rules of the game before get accustomed to the rules the game starts out with.

- I worry about encounters and how to proceed. How much killing do I find acceptable (not morally, really, but gameplay-wise)? Killing too often can lead to you losing the game's sense of atmosphere and immersion... not to mention that it can make you miss out on some really great experiences. Basically, getting into sword fights or straight up killing the bad guys maybe doesn't ruin the game but it definitely makes it less fun.

- I worry about backtracking through the level before proceeding so I make sure to see all the cool things in the game... but then, by doing so, I end up with a ton of money and worry about becoming overpowered.

Someone tell me to shut up and relax please :(

Side note: I really don't understand why so many people have issues with the art direction. It's near peerless in the medium. Few can match it in terms of craft and vision (Journey, Red Dead Redemption, most Valve games, Dark Souls). The only reason I can come up with is that the characters aren't attractive looking and the technical aspects of the engine aren't up to par with the latest games out there. As to the characters, this is what Bioshock tried to go for with its character design but didn't get it right. I'm betting that most people that dislike the character design in Dishonored despise Aeon Flux.

Lizardus

Conversations vary on the second play through from what I'm noticing. Here's one that happened on the first level:

In the first play through as you're on your way to Samuel in the back once you've finished your main mission you can see 3 guards in a room. One starts talking saying he's sick and that he wants them to put him out of his misery before he causes problems for other people. So, he gets on his knees and starts saying the scriptures and they kill him with a single sword stroke.

However, in the second play through that same conversation is different - this time he's trying to make them believe he's not sick and they are nasty to him and force him on his knees. They then just kill him and toss his body on the floor while complaining about what they're going to do with his corpse in order to prevent the infection from spreading.

Nice detail and definitely why you should still take your time on your next play through.

Ha, your second playthrough conversation happened in my first playthrough

Enco

The mission hints kinda suck.

I get them before conversations?

During the first assasination I got a hint telling me about how Campbell wants to poison this dude. I then freed the guy who was tied down and he told me about it for the first time

SJRB

Gold Member
Man this game is so awesome. 4 hours in and I'm still on my way to the first mission's target. The
Distillery sidequest
was intense but also confusing. I'm not even sure if I did the "right" thing [in the wrong vs right kind of way]. I find some of the descriptions in the mission menu way too vague.

Also - I'm pretty sure I read somewhere in this thread there's a fix to skip the intro screens when booting up the game? In this day and age unskippable intros should be a thing of the past, so annoying.

diamount

Banned
it seems that the game bombed (on PC at least). Only 19 000 people have been playing it on PC in the last 48 hours. It equals 200 000 copies sold max. What a shame. I hope console versions will do well and the game will sell 1,5 million copies by the end of the year. I'm sure it will do alright in the long run and since Bethesda isn't a public company long-term perfomance is important to them.

I mean if Bethesda managed to sell 2 million copies of Brink in one year they will manage to do the same number for Dishonored (and at higher price, I think).

Also the game was rated very well so I'm sure they will give it one more try.

I suspect it will reach 2million copies easily, HR got that number.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I know it is early to ask/think about this but do anyone think that critics/sites/spike might not give this goty awards just because Bethesda got most of goty awards last year with Skyrim?

diamount

Banned
HR had a leak with a third of the game. Everyone then knew to buy it.

Very true, still the game has been getting glowing reviews from everywhere so hopefully that should help it a bit. Not to mention the Bethesda tag - even if most people still think Bethesda developed it.

The "Downloadable Content" selection in the menu is a curious thing. Really wonder if they have stuff planned. They seem like a studio who would do a proper expansion-sized release.

Just beat the game, 22 hours; and I'm sure I missed some stuff. Really loved it. I can see some of the complaints about the ending (though for me, I had no issues with it as some bombs were dropped that people may miss like notes or logs.) This is definitely my favorite of 2012. It reminded me so much of Thief when playing it that I couldn't stop smiling. Looking forward to going through again and getting low chaos, and doing some other stuff.

I still don't see how anyone could get the enemy suicide achievement though; I tried a few times and man, it's going to be tough.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Finished the game early this morning. Got the low chaos ending, only killed the very very very last target. Neutralized the rest. Ghosted through most of the game, didn't stab anyone except in the tutorial (choked a lot of dudes though).

Absolutely loved it. The minute I finished, I restarted the game, and I'm doing a super lethal playthrough this time.

The location. It's very City 17-ish in places, and it just has that same general atmosphere.

Probably because it has the same designer for both cities.

Viktor Antonov created both the world of Dishonored, and City 17.

I dunno, I like the art style, but the game just looks so ugly. It struck me on the 360, but seeing Dennis' shot above makes me think it's not all that much better on the PC.

You crazy boy. The game is gorgeous on PC.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I am in the Golden Cat mission. Is the game much longer?

I have played 10-12 hours already (is there any way to see playtime?).

10 hour game my ass.

You're not even halfway.

thetrin

This. Anybody not getting distinct Half Life 2 vibes from the art style is not paying attention, the game has Viktor Antonov's stamp all over it. And I loooove it.

It's pretty classic Antonov. The barricades and the Tallboys are telltale signs of his style.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Okay, so I just (relatively early spoilers)
accidentally killed Granny Rags. WTF, why does she turn into rats? Am I missing something?

thetrin

Okay, so I just (relatively early spoilers)
accidentally killed Granny Rags. WTF, why does she turn into rats? Am I missing something?

It will make sense later in the game

That's also not a relatively early spoiler. What you spoilered hints at stuff at the end of the game.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Yes, you are missing something.

Do I want to know? Or is it like major spoilers or something?

It's weird, I feel like I've explored really well. I don't read most of the texts when I first find them though, that would probably explain it.

thetrin

Do I want to know? Or is it like major spoilers or something?

It's weird, I feel like I've explored really well. I don't read most of the texts when I first find them though, that would probably explain it.

It's a major spoiler for an event near the end of the game.

neoism

wat

Did you mean Thief 2?

This game is about as close to Half-Life 2 as it is to Call of Duty.

their not wrong though Dennis most people haven't played Thief 2... I haven't yet... I will though...after this masterpiece. I get alot of HL2 in the art style and other things... it all depends on that person past experiences...

thetrin

their not wrong though Dennis most people haven't played Thief 2... I haven't yet... I will though...after this masterpiece. I get alot of HL2 in the art style and other things... it all depends on that person past experiences...

Again, you see a lot of HL2 because the same person designed City 17 and Dunwall. It's not your imagination.

vazel

Banned
I just finished the game. I played on very hard with most UI elements disabled but it was still a little too easy. That didn't matter though because I still had a lot of fun exploring all the different possibilities the game gave me. This game makes me all the more bitter and angry at how linear most other games are.

I wasn't disappointed with the story. The game builds some good lore. I think people are frustrated with the Outsider not being expanded upon. I think you're just supposed to accept him as a supernatural protector of the land. Maybe he'll be fleshed out in dlc or sequels(hopefully there will be more Dishonored).

Eusis

Basically I can discredit them somehow...
Well, it's unique each time.

The first one kinda surprised me with (story)
how willing they were to run with the fact someone branded him randomly, especially if they know they were hit by a mysterious assailant or even saw him perform the action, but I guess the fact he got there through blackmail and constantly broke all of their strictures meant it was a convenient excuse to get rid of him.

Oh, yes, beat the game. It's definitely like Bioshock in that the last stretch of the game drags some, and that ending IS terrible, but it's not that unique kind of bad that can really set you off like ME3's. If anything it's seeming like an inevitability of this type of game, and it's more that they set up an interesting world for more games rather than a single really good story. Also have to admit I marathoned that last bit, if I paced it out more I imagine it'd have been smoother, was having a lot of trouble with the very last mission until I cooled down and approached it more like I usually did. Except for the part that was easy to just run past with time stopped anyway.

KingKong

Wow, the Flooded District level was awesome

total change of scenery, those plants, the broken down environment was very effective. Having the guards be assassins was also a lot more fun. It was a little linear but that made sense thematically and imo it made the level design a lot stronger than previous levels. It's too bad that I feel like I'm close to the end, the middle section of the game was a little weak

ibsUyvNzgvrHeW.gif

You can feel the passive smoking.

i0UabyaHC6AWk.bmp

ibeJSmNlbJ4urv.bmp

iZ1MmlJwvJn8R.bmp

ibw5Mo1OUqyBVo.bmp

I won't have anything new to say other than I LOVE when enemies/NPCs have conversations in the background that gives character to them, and even hands out info.

Playthrough: Very Hard. Non-lethal. No supernatural/enhancement upgrades (feel like this will bite me). BLINK all the way! Too bad ghosting isn't rewarded, so won't be going with that, but I'm guessing the empty bottles are there for the distractions to get past enemies.

Been playing on my ATI mobility 5650 laptop, and been getting consistently 45-60fps which is insane on high textures, vsync, 1366x768.

Spent 5 hours, and only have done the Granny Rags missions, haven't even done the Campbell mission yet!

Nemesis_

The mission hints kinda suck.

I get them before conversations?

During the first assasination I got a hint telling me about how Campbell wants to poison this dude. I then freed the guy who was tied down and he told me about it for the first time

Not really. You must've been asleep when you were briefed on this before you even traveled to the Distillery District.

Salsa

one thing I have to say about this game is what patrick klepek said on the bombcast: the voice acting is alright. It's serviceable, but no character is particularly memorable from its performance, and that's kind of a bad thing when you have such a hollywood cast. Felt like a missed opportunity.

Top Bottom