• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

SJRB

Gold Member
Just started playing, already loving it. So awesome. Great atmosphere and awesome music.

Is there a way to holster my gun but keep my knife in hand?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just started playing, already loving it. So awesome. Great atmosphere and awesome music.

Yes, just keep on playin'. Be glad you asked that and not the other way around, though!

1stStrike

Banned

Change to a skill like blink or something... otherwise, no. It's everything out or nothing at all.

Derrick01

Banned
I think I'm on the last mission. I can see where people say the last couple are pretty short and quick but I still thought they were fun in their own ways. Hopefully this one lasts for a little bit but I don't see how it can looking at it from a distance.

Riposte

The powers in this game are kind of lame. They are one sided towards lethal confrontations and despite some of them being quite limited there are only 8. Do you get more? Giving blink as a default was quite a mistake (not that I don't like the ability). It basically makes traversing over walls the most solid option while more obscure options fall by the wayside (consider the ways you could take out the light doors). Why bother having "Agility" in the game anyway?

Going full stealth and non-lethal is coming off as a bit dull. What I hate with when stealth games don't bother differentiating touching no one and beating up everyone quietly (these gives you two very different experiences with the level design). I will say though blinking behind someone who is front of me while I peak out of cover is fun and clever. The stealth itself isn't particularly amazing. I would have to replay Deus Ex: Human Revolution to be sure, but I think I liked stealth better there if only because it had a better range of powers. Another thing: I did the non-lethal option for my first target and I got no pay off for it (and to make matters worse, I apparently killed 1 dude at some point during by several hour stay lol).

From here on out I am going to be moderately lethal. Taking people out with (cost-less) chokeholds is real lame anyway.

The atmosphere is alright. Something is a bit off in the execution so far given how cool the concept is. I'm hoping I like it more once I get out of the slums.

I think I'm on the last mission. I can see where people say the last couple are pretty short and quick but I still thought they were fun in their own ways. Hopefully this one lasts for a little bit but I don't see how it can looking at it from a distance.

Your already on the last mission? Damn you guys are flying. I only have about 2-3 hours to play it each day.

The powers in this game are kind of lame. They are one sided towards lethal confrontations and despite some of them being quite limited there are only 8. Do you get more? Giving blink as a default was quite a mistake (not that I don't like the ability). It basically makes traversing over walls the most solid option while more obscure options fall by the wayside (consider the ways you could take out the light doors). Why bother having "Agility" in the game anyway?

Going full stealth and non-lethal is coming off as a bit dull. What I hate with when stealth games don't bother differentiating touching no one and beating up everyone quietly (these gives you two very different experiences with the level design). I will say though blinking behind someone who is front of me while I peak out of cover is fun and clever. The stealth itself isn't particularly amazing. I would have to replay Deus Ex: Human Revolution to be sure, but I think I liked stealth better there if only because it had a better range of powers. Another thing: I did the non-lethal option for my first target and I got no pay off for it (and to make matters worse, I apparently killed 1 dude at some point during by several hour stay lol).

From here on out I am going to be moderately lethal. Taking people out with (cost-less) chokeholds is real lame anyway.

The atmosphere is alright. Something is a bit off in the execution so far given how cool the concept is. I'm hoping I like it more once I get out of the slums.

It was my intention to go through completely stealth/assassin style on the first play-through but I am finding that just playing the game based on the situation is extremely gratifying. For instance if I jump down and choke a guy out but his friend see's me normally in a game like this I would reload but the combat is handled so well I will just parry/drop him(Ahhh so satisfying) then blink to cover and take out whoever saw. There is a real eb and flow to the confrontations and I love that. I never feel like ahh damnit I failed and have to restart.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Just got to the part with the magic powers... really don't like these, wish there were cooler tools instead (xcept for that xray vision one, that seems more like magic too)... seems like they will trivialize things that should feel cooler to pull off manually... Blink and stuff especially... Kind of hoped there's a way to put your points in more passive down to earth stuff but those are few and you get blink from the story. Would love to have a hook and zip-line for high and distant places, if not rope arrows, instead of this.

Then don't use it. You can head-on the mainstreets and front doors if you like. Powers aren't mandatory.
Lame suggestion. I will have to use it because it's faster, easier, there will definitely be places unreachable without it making it a waste of time to try and get there, or as close as possible to there, manually before finally accepting it's impossible, etc. Basically the game is designed for it and makes parts of the game play I hoped it's designed around instead obsolete. Suggesting otherwise is like, if some game didn't have vehicles at all, like Shenmue or something, and it got a successor that's like GTA, all about cars and guns, and you told disappointed fans that they should just not use those. Anyway, as I said before I like games designed how I like them so I don't have to self impose restrictions that are counter to the game's nature. Hopefully this will grow on me on its own merits but these parts just felt cheap too so far. Hopefully it will also get a level editor for fan missions and mods that can make levels without these things, maybe become a new home for the various Thief communities, as the engine and basics are cool.

Would have been nice if hard and above modes didn't have Blink and other things, or magic at all, with the game designed around the lack of those too just as well, and the magic there just for lower difficulties, newer gamers expecting "cool" Bioshock like things, etc, but I guess they've made it integral to the story (which also feels dumb so far, this could change too I guess).

Jack_AG

Banned
Just got to the part with the magic powers... really don't like these, wish there were cooler tools instead (xcept for that xray vision one, that seems more like magic too)... seems like they will trivialize things that should feel cooler to pull off manually... Blink and stuff especially...
Then don't use it. You can head-on the mainstreets and front doors if you like. Powers aren't mandatory.

Derrick01

Banned
Your already on the last mission? Damn you guys are flying. I only have about 2-3 hours to play it each day.

While it's not a short game in terms of "omg it's 5 hours raaaage", it's not a really long game either and for someone like me I can knock a 20 hour game out in a week if it's fun. I'm 14.5 hours in and I'm pretty sure this is the last mission, they hint at it enough for me to be sure.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

*shruggle* Every power seems cool to me and agility is CRUCIAL in my opinion. Way more of a boost than I expected.

Zeliard

My playthrough will probably take some time. I'm playing on Very Hard which I imagine takes a bit more time just by itself, and I'm also experimenting a lot with seeing what I can do. I'm doing a lethal playthrough and I don't want to get repetitive with how I dispatch enemies, so I try to come up with creative ways to do so, which is a blast.

I also make it a point to talk to everyone, read whatever I find, i.e. the books and the posters on the wall, and generally immerse myself. And I listen to the poor bastards' amusing conversations before I violently send them to their deaths.

Dishonored confirmed to be Half-Life 3
shitted my pants at trolley section
. Utterly disappointed in game as a whole. Interesting ideas were spoiled by poor, repetitive realization, flavored with disasterous idiocity story wise.

got the special edition from game for £4.99. the tarot cards are great. does anyone know if the srcane assassin dlc will make the game too easy?

jaaz

I'm trying so hard to be good to get the good ending, but man rewiring the watch towers to kill the overseers and guards is just too much fun.

I don't know why it affects my chaos anyways, it's not me killing them its that giant turret on the watchtower! :)

Lemonte

Just played for an hour of this game and I'm pretty impressed. Didn't really expect much from this game but it's amazing Thing that impresses me the most are loading times. Even on my crappy 3-years-old computer longest load times are like 3 seconds. I love stealth game play but guards seem to be quite dumb sometimes...

scitek

My playthrough will probably take some time. I'm playing on Very Hard which I imagine takes a bit more time just by itself, and I'm also experimenting a lot with seeing what I can do. I'm doing a lethal playthrough and I don't want to get repetitive with how I dispatch enemies, so I try to come up with creative ways to do so, which is a blast.

I also make it a point to talk to everyone, read whatever I find, i.e. the books and the posters on the wall, and generally immerse myself. And I listen to the poor bastards' amusing conversations before I violently send them to their deaths.

It's taken me 8 hours to get to the third mission. You are not alone, friend.

ctrayne

That was me as well. It really speeds along in the last 2-3 missions, not including the very last one since I haven't done it yet so I don't know how long it is.

Mission 7
The Flooded District
was pretty huge, at least it was for me. Pretty vast area that felt like the length of two missions, but it was only one. I took a couple hours to enjoy it, it was awesome. There's a totally optional area with a pretty crazy easter egg if you
did not kill Campbell.

Has anyone figured out how to get the enemy suicide achievement. I have no idea how one would do that.

Wait, would it have something to do with level 2 possession?

Derrick01

Banned
Just had something pretty awesome happen that was caused by me panicking. I was climbing a chain in a narrow stairway thinking it would hide me better, but a couple floors up a guard spots me and right before he can scream and pull his sword out I jump off the chain and hit him and he flies backwards and over the railing, falling (and yelling) to his death in the ocean.

Something like them shooting bullets, bend time, possess and move them in front of it.
Hmm, that'll work. But I wonder if you can go another route with it. Like walk guys off the side of walls or something.

Anyway, are most people reading journal and note entries? The world is incredibly detailed if you ask me.

ctrayne

Anyway, are most people reading journal and note entries? The world is incredibly detailed if you ask me.

Lots of great world building ala Thief, Shocks, Deus Exes, etc. I feel like people dismissing the plot aren't reading books or using the heart very much. Most of the interesting stuff is there; the main story seems to mostly be a vehicle for the rest of the (fantastic) game.

Derrick01

Banned
Just finished it with the good ending. Really good game even though it trips and falls a bit in the last few hours. Took a little over 15 hours to finish.

I really hope they can release some great new DLC missions that are more like the first few missions in the game.

Ok, I'm 11 hours in with my non-lethal (almost) ghost playthrough and I reached
Dunwall tower
which seems to be the last mission. Considering I make sure to explore everything and read all the books and notes I assume this isn't really the last one?

Duffyside

Banned
I have had it up to HERE with sneaking up behind a guy, hitting R2, and having my character make the blocking motion, LOUDLY, and fuck everything up. This is the most important function for me in the game, and it has happened at least two dozen times just three missions in. I have more reloads than anybody on the planet right now I bet, and I just may break my controller.

Derrick01

Banned
Ok, I'm 11 hours in with my non-lethal (almost) ghost playthrough and I reached
Dunwall tower
which seems to be the last mission. Considering I make sure to explore everything and read all the books and notes I assume this isn't really the last one?

There are a few more after that and they vary in size.

ctrayne

Game gets worse. Chapter 7 wow...it's not a mission anymore, it's a simple level like HalfLife 2 or Bioshock 2...very linear..where is the fun?

I don't get this. Chapter 7 was great fun. Plenty of ways to do things, plenty of alternate paths and optional areas. Excellent atmosphere too. There's a whole map/section that you can bypass if you don't look for it.

It's not as open-ended as Chapter 2 or 3, but it's on par with an average Deus Ex or Thief level.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm trying to decide between this an Hitman: Absolution. Both are tempting, but I can really only afford one. Damn.

Going by the most recent previews from a week or two ago it seems like Hitman will be a mix of classic levels and modern game industry shoot-bang linear levels so just go with this game. This has somewhat linear levels in it too in the late game stages but at least it doesn't drastically change what it is.

The Chef

I really feel sorry for anyone who plays this game and finishes it in less than 10 hours. I am on the first mission and have been playing for nearly 4 hours and loving every minute of it. There is this one part
two thugs are holding the shop owner inside his borded up house.
Trying to figure out how to take them out without being seen was so satisfying and pretty complex.
I love this game so much. Every minute of it.

Ferrio

Banned
Found a part in the game where having objective markers off was not a fun idea.

First mission:

Hiding curnow after you put him to sleep. You had to go and put him in a specific dumpster. I was placing his ass all over the place trying to find where was the safe spot. Eventually turned on the markers and saw it was a dumpster (and not another dumpster I had attempted).

ced

First mission:

Hiding curnow after you put him to sleep. You had to go and put him in a specific dumpster. I was placing his ass all over the place trying to find where was the safe spot. Eventually turned on the markers and saw it was a dumpster (and not another dumpster I had attempted).

Yep, what I did after that was leave the option on, but just disable them in the journal besides in cases where I spent 30 mins trying to find or do something.

Derrick01

Banned

First mission:

I didn't even know you had to hide him. After the guy I had to kill died from poison and guards came in, right before they were going to attack him I jumped down and took them out and curnow just kind of ran off with one of his guards. A few minutes later I got the target extracted message or whatever it is.

aeolist

Banned

First mission:

I had this same problem

ctrayne

First mission:

Did you have to knock him out? I saved him
in Campbell's secret champers
then he talked to me for a bit and walked away.

spirity

Help me out here guys. I've heard the massive buzz for this game and I've taken a few sneak peaks so I have a roundabout idea that I'll like it (I don't wanna see too much) BUT..

I really don't like stealth games. At least, not games that force you to stealth. I'd like to be able to choose when I go all sneaky and when I go in all guns blazing. Am I screwed here, are there parts where stealth is not an option or are you really offered the freedom to play how you want?

Top Bottom