• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Dennis

Banned
ibsUyvNzgvrHeW.gif

You can feel the passive smoking.

vazel

Banned
Noooo! Don't be so cruel Harvey Smith!
“Part of me would love to see future games leverage this world,” he said. “And part of me would love it if the vault door was just closed, and that’s it. This is your one view into the Empire of the Isles and into the city of Dunwall.”
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/12/d...el=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

I at least hope the Executive Producer's plans for dlc pan out. I'd love to see more of the world and its lore.
“Since DLC is more contained, we definitely want to try and explore more themes of the stories, the characters and the locations,” Roby tells us.
http://www.pcpowerplay.com.au/2012/09/dishonored-dlc-could-explore-new-characters-continents/

Enco

Longest gaming session (5+ hours) since Skyrim.

I had to restart from an older save because I accidentally triggered the interaction between Overseer Campbell and Curnaw but didn't stay. I then lost Campbell.
I ended up branding that fucker and saving the other dude

Derrick01

Banned
I would love some really substantial DLC, like several fully fleshed out missions in a pack. Hopefully more like the first few missions in the game which were really great and had a lot of lore and secrets in them.

As for a sequel I don't even know what they could do. Maybe (post-end spoilers)
the new empress could send Corvo on assassination missions against other countries for whatever reason they want to come up with. That way it'll give us some environment variety than just the dark and depressing city in this game

SeriousApes

Just
escaped from Coldridge Prison
. Finished with one kill. I guess it didn't occur to me at the time that dropping an unconscious guard into the water would drown him.

Noooo! Don't be so cruel Harvey Smith! http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/12/d...el=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

I at least hope the Executive Producer's plans for dlc pan out. I'd love to see more of the world and its lore. http://www.pcpowerplay.com.au/2012/09/dishonored-dlc-could-explore-new-characters-continents/

I wouldn't mind some substantial DLC, like multiple mission packs with the hub-style worlds; or incredibly long (Kaldwin Bridge) missions. Throw in more amazing lore. If they give me that, then I will be satisfied and they can keep their integrity. It's such an amazing world and system of gameplay to scrap after one game. Especially when the ending doesn't quite match the level of detail throughout the game.

On the other hand, I don't like the idea that just because one makes a sequel the IP's value and artistic 'integrity' is diminished.

i want more location dlc for this game. I have been reading the books over and over again. The world they crafted for this is really fascinating. It would be a huge shame if we never get to branch out.

jgminto

I think I might have fucked up somewhere. Late in the game
you lose your gear. Was I supposed to find it on the same mission? I feel like I'm on the final mission and I still don't have my crossbow.

you lose your gear. Was I supposed to find it on the same mission? I feel like I'm on the final mission and I still don't have my crossbow.

Yes
Flooded District, in the first section after you get out of the hole/building. There's a bridge type area where Overseers lay dead. Through that building and into a new area lies your gear. It's listed as an optional objective.

Salsa

yup it was marked as a side mission

now you guys see why I didnt disable objective markers

jgminto

Yes
Flooded District, in the first section after you get out of the hole/building. There's a bridge type area where Overseers lay dead. Through that building and into a new area lies your gear.

Well fuck.

It was worth it to keep those things off my screen. Haven't really missed it much anyway.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Yeah, you
were supposed to retrieve it right after escaping.

Yeah, I enabled objective markers after the first mission precisely because finding side mission stuff is really really hard to find otherwise.

branny

i want more location dlc for this game. I have been reading the books over and over again. The world they crafted for this is really fascinating. It would be a huge shame if we never get to branch out.
I haven't really been reading the books, but I do stop for some of the notes here and there. The love letter between two gay lovers in the first mission(?) was a pleasant, subtle, world-building surprise.

Well fuck.

I'm not sure what happens, you may actually
retrieve your stuff for the last mission. I'm not sure.

Yeah, you
were supposed to retrieve it right after escaping.

Yeah, I enabled objective markers after the first mission precisely because finding side mission stuff is really really hard to find otherwise.

I enabled them a few times just to make sure I was heading in the right direction on Kaldwin Bridge. Otherwise, I had no major issues; but I agree, you can miss a lot of optional stuff if you do disable and never check.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The Lady Boyle mission was great stuff. Probably my favorite do far.

I want a real life upside down creepy baby mask.

Just finished my first game on Normal. I tried to be stealthy but sometimes I just didn't want to deal with escaping or restarting so I killed a few people. I'm going to go back and kill everyone! Its a fun game with entertaining gameplay but I wanted more. It never felt like the game really opened up and let you have fun with your powers. I'm also interested to see how different the game is when you are bloodthirsty so smell you jerks later.

The Lady Boyle mission was great stuff. Probably my favorite do far.

I want a real life upside down creepy baby mask.

It was a really nice change of pace, honestly. I saw some people complaining about it being too easy. But I thought it was fucking brilliant, and broke up the slow creeping I was doing for a few missions prior.

Riposte

There needs to be more talk about how awesome the Heart is. I love that thing.

Eh, it is a cool idea, but they didn't go far with it. I would have rather it been an essential tool, balanced around mana and much more useful. Another way to specialize with runes. Also it was a bummer seeing how lazy they got with non-important characters.

Zeliard

Eh, it is a cool idea, but they didn't go far with it. I would have rather it been an essential tool, balanced around mana and much more useful. Another way to specialize with runes. Also it was a bummer seeing how lazy they got with non-important characters.

I just love its revelatory gossip on various characters and places, and the speaking voice has an enjoyable cadence to it. I use it all the time, haha.

Papercuts

It was a really nice change of pace, honestly. I saw some people complaining about it being too easy. But I thought it was fucking brilliant, and broke up the slow creeping I was doing for a few missions prior.

It's very possible my ridiculous love for Hitman is one of the reasons I liked it so much, reminded me of the games a lot.

branny

The only thing I don't like about the heart is how randomized some of the jabber is. I don't like it when I hear the same secret about two completely different guards. Also, sometimes I can be pointing at someone and won't hear anything about them, just generic stuff about the area. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. They're alive when I try, btw.

Papercuts

The only thing I don't like about the heart is how randomized some of the jabber is. I don't like it when I hear the same secret about two completely different guards. Also, sometimes I can be pointing at someone and won't hear anything about them, just generic stuff about the area. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. They're alive when I try, btw.

The reticule becomes a small hollow circle over the target when the heart will talk about them AFAIK.

Riposte

I just love its revelatory gossip on various characters and places, and the speaking voice has an enjoyable cadence to it. I use it all the time, haha.

I might be wrong, but they seemingly gave away an important plot point with that voice. That and something Granny Rags said to support my theory. I'm not sure because I'm only on the third mission.

Animator

I just figured out that the heart is
the empress's trapped soul
and it blew my mind. It is never outright told to you but very easy to figure out once you use it on certain npc's.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I just figured out that the heart is
the empress's trapped soul
and it blew my mind. It is never outright told to you but very easy to figure out once you use it on certain npc's.

I always assumed that is what it was, but I didn't know there was actual evidence to substantiate the theory.
I guessed based on the voice

Satch

Banned
what the hell happened

so in the mission with campbell and curnow,
i went into the room, spilled the glasses, noticed and grabbed the rune on the wall, then blinked away so i could hide and watch them interact. but then, everybody started running and curnow was being chased by guards??? he ran out of the room with the guards behind him and, next thing i knew, the objective said that he had been rescued. wtf did i do to make that happen?

Animator

one thing I have to say about this game is what patrick klepek said on the bombcast: the voice acting is alright. It's serviceable, but no character is particularly memorable from its performance, and that's kind of a bad thing when you have such a hollywood cast. Felt like a missed opportunity.

Am I right in guessing about %90 of the npc's in this game are voiced by the guy that voiced Roche in Witcher 2?

jgminto

So I finished the game, got the low chaos ending. I wouldn't really consider the ending bad, just unimportant, like the rest of the story. The world and your exploration of it was the most important aspect of the game, so the average writing and voice acting as well as the less than memorable characters, aside from Samuel, don't really lessen the quality of the game. And it's a bloody fantastic exploration based stealth game. I'll play it through again a bit more violently soon.

This is pretty much locked in as my GOTY, unless Hitman swoops in and takes it.

GolazoDan

Started this earlier, only done the first escape and got my powers. I'm still crap at stealth like in other games - a ninja I am not - but I'm not as discouraged as I am normally because the combat seems pretty cool. Sure, that dude spotted me, but look, I just stabbed him through the forehead with a knife then dispatched his two buddies with crossbow bolts. I'm trying to play it safe but I expect many high chaos ratings because things tend to eventually go tits up. Hopefully I don't hit a wall at some point due to my lack of stealth skillz.

Plasmid

I implore you to explore
Dunwall Tower
because there's a hidden Audiograph of the
Empress that seemed like she knew something was going to happen, it's a message to Emily and to Corvo.

Also you can sign the
guestbook at lady Doyle's party as Corvo Attono and when you go into the lord regents room there's a notice telling of you signing it,
i liked the detail.

DukeBobby

what the hell happened

so in the mission with campbell and curnow,
i went into the room, spilled the glasses, noticed and grabbed the rune on the wall, then blinked away so i could hide and watch them interact. but then, everybody started running and curnow was being chased by guards??? he ran out of the room with the guards behind him and, next thing i knew, the objective said that he had been rescued. wtf did i do to make that happen?

Same thing happened to me. I was playing stealthily and this nearly fucked everything up. Very frustrating.

RedSwirl

I still don't know of those killed by other people count towards chaos rating.

Second mission, at the beginning those guys who assassinated the empress showed back up, I blinked away, came back, and now there are three thug corpses laying in the street.

Plasmid

On my undetected run so far and in all honesty i've probably only killed a total of 10-15 people :lol.

This game is SO MUCH BETTER when youre doing everything stealthy. I love it.

thefil

I'm getting late in the game. Currently on what I'd call Mission #
getting over the quarantine wall
. I preferred the earlier missions a lot. Something about the setting and goals of this area just aren't as conducive to fun for me. The enemies are less fun to work with, most of the maps seem completely pointless, and I just don't even understand what I'm supposed to get from the fact that
this assassination guild captured me, chose not to kill me, and is apparently now my greatest enemy
. I suppose I should have used the heart on their leader?

Playing from the perspective of Corvo, I also see no reason in this section to do anything other than kill everyone, since one group is already basically dead and the others did a Bad Thing.

Top Bottom