• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

jgminto

It IS funny how useful they are for rats versus people. Especially if you're trying to be stealthy.

Grenades were extremely useful against those
giant acid oysters
as well.

has anyone used the following items in the game.

void channel
white rat feast
gutter feast

they came with the limited edition I bought and I'm unsure as to whether they will make the game too easy or if they are overpowered.

should I delete the dlc and start without those items available?

Haven't used them but they seem fine. Bone charms give you different passives depending on which you have equipped. 2 and 3 are pretty standard while 1 is probably one of the better ones, but I don't think it would break the game, unless the power duration is ridiculous.

Haven't used them but they seem fine. Bone charms give you different passives depending on which you have equipped. 2 and 3 are pretty standard while 1 is probably one of the better ones, but I don't think it would break the game, unless the power duration is ridiculous.

thank you.

I was worried they might be overpowered items, so it's good to hear they probably aren't.

thanks again.

SJRB

Gold Member
I can't undestand half the things the heart is telling me, the ultra-stereo effect totally messes it up.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I attended the ball tonight and it was as amazing as everyone said. Quite memorable and everything was so lovely.

1stStrike

Banned
I can't undestand half the things the heart is telling me, the ultra-stereo effect totally messes it up.

Whatever you're using for audio is either garbage or misconfigured. I have no issues understanding her or anyone else in the game via my Denon D7000's.

I've been thinking about picking this game up. Is it really as good as people make it out to be?

(Side note: I know little to nothing about this game, apart from a E3 demo I watched.)

Two missions in, I can tell you it's quite amazing. Superb level design and amazing powers are the key words here.

One thing I didn't like about the game was the amount of books. Way too many. Don't get me wrong, I love reading, but when you put so many it really breaks the pace in my opinion.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
One thing I didn't like about the game was the amount of books. Way too many. Don't get me wrong, I love reading, but when you put so many it really breaks the pace in my opinion.
They get added to your journal, read them when you have downtime if you want.

GorillaJu

I liked the books. I like it when the story is told more passively and gives you the option, instead of forcing you to sit and listen to the history of the city.

how to fight rat packs?
I'm ashamed to say that I just jump up onto the nearest table and knife them while screaming like a little bitch.

I thought about using a grenade or whale oil tank, but I'm going for a No Kill/Ghost/No Power Upgrade playthrough right now, can't risk an explosion attracting attention.

I set-up the Nvidia inspector and SweetFX settings and it looks better. I understand what they where doing with some of the muted colors but it's really a beautiful game this way. I wonder if a hi-res texture pack is coming?

Anyway now that I finished X-Com can't wait to get into Dishonored more.

Psykotik

i beat the game. got these trophies at the end.

• Shadow (Silver) You completed all missions after the prologue without alerting anyone
  • Mostly Flesh and Steel (Silver) You finished the game without purchasing any supernatural powers or enhancements, besides Blink

didn't get the ghost one because i messed up in a few missions and some bodies got found.

can i still get the ghost trophy if i go back a replay those missions via the mission select? or do i need to start a new game?

any idea?

Psykotik

Dennis

Banned
Game is kinda too easy. I only take a long time because I have to explore every nook and cranny.

I am doing mostly stealth with minimal combat so turning up difficulty to Very Hard makes little difference.

Nose Master

First(?) mission spoilers:
I broke both the wine glasses, and followed Whatshisface and Campbell to his love den, where he kills that maid's uncle. Reloaded and knocked them both out, but it says to take her uncle's body to a safe place? Where, exactly?

EDIT: Nevermind. Wow.

Just finished the game. It took me 24 hours, playing non-lethally on Hard mode with the all the HUD elements turn off, and I absolutely loved it. Easily my GOTY this year. Even after spending so long exploring I feel like I barely saw half of what the game had to offer; I never bought half the powers, never fired the pistol, only got into a few sword fights shortly before a quickload. My ghosting efforts were in vain, though, because I didn't end up getting the non-lethal achievement. I think I can 100% confirm that the assassins you fight in the prologue of the game DO count towards the achievement, so don't kill those guys :p

I started a new playthrough as soon as the credits were over, and this time I'll be killing eeeeveryone.

Dennis

Banned
Does anybody have any kind of information on the budget of Dishonored?

To me this game feels like what I would call a 'medium' size budget games. Not in the range of something like Assassins Creed 3 but not some small indie game either.

I am interested in this because the middle seems to have been squeezed by the AAA games in recent years but also because even though I am enjoying the game it seems so small and limited in some ways.

Perhaps my mind has been corrupted by The Chaos God of AAA Big Budget expectations.

vazel

Banned
Does anybody have any kind of information on the budget of Dishonored?

To me this game feels like what I would call a 'medium' size budget games. Not in the range of something like Assassins Creed 3 but not some small indie game either.

I am interested in this because the middle seems to have been squeezed by the AAA games in recent years but also because even though I am enjoying the game it seems so small and limited in some ways.

Perhaps my mind has been corrupted by The Chaos God of AAA Big Budget expectations.
According to imdb it's $25 million. If that number is true it probably includes marketing too. I can't imagine this game costing that much unless it also includes marketing.

Edit: And before anyone makes a joke about how this game had no marketing. I did see a lot of ads for this game on websites. They also made a CG trailer and the Tales from Dunwall webisodes.

I'm ashamed to say that I just jump up onto the nearest table and knife them while screaming like a little bitch.

I thought about using a grenade or whale oil tank, but I'm going for a No Kill/Ghost/No Power Upgrade playthrough right now, can't risk an explosion attracting attention.

Yea a slight increase in saturation really makes the game shine. I love it.

According to imdb it's $25 million. If that number is true it probably includes marketing too. I can't imagine this game costing that much unless it also includes marketing.

Edit: And before anyone makes a joke about how this game had no marketing. I did see a lot of ads for this game on websites. They also made a CG trailer and the Tales from Dunwall webisodes.

You can't imagine it costing that much before marketing? I absolutely can. That's pretty low for AAA.

i beat the game. got these trophies at the end.

• Shadow (Silver) You completed all missions after the prologue without alerting anyone
  • Mostly Flesh and Steel (Silver) You finished the game without purchasing any supernatural powers or enhancements, besides Blink

didn't get the ghost one because i messed up in a few missions and some bodies got found.

can i still get the ghost trophy if i go back a replay those missions via the mission select? or do i need to start a new game?

Jealous! I'm doing this kind of playthrough, but I got one person's body found in the Campbell mission. I'd like to have this answered too, I will try replaying the mission if that works.

EDIT: Already answered. Damn, sounds hard if you need the saves, I didn't know you you shouldn't shoot the assassins!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is it true that Dishonored performes technically very well on both the PS3 and 360?

PS3 version has clearer textures, and higher frame rate in cutscenes but plenty of tearing and texture shimmering.

360 version has a bit of blurring in the general image quality because of weird FXAA implementation, but less aliasing, better frame rate during game play but lower frame rate at the cost of no tearing in cut-scenes.

So it's a toss up between sharper image quality with tearing, or FXAA-softening w/out tearing.

Is there a good way to set the fov permanently above 85 with the zoom function intact? I hate having to set it every time after loading. I re-load alot.

Enco

I just jumped from one balcony to another one (Jason Bourne style) and drop killed an assassin.

Fucking amazing.

Had to enable objective markers for a bit because I was getting lost. I don't like how I accidentally trigger events before finishing side missions since I have no markers.

Just restarted the game and escaped the prison with no alerts or kills. Fucking amazing.

I've finally got to grips with just how much noise dropping an unconscious body makes. You have to be SO careful nobody is near otherwise they'll hear you...

vlcsnap-2012-10-13-12t2shu.png

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finished. Low chaos. Some deaths, no prime targets. Took me about thirteen hours, bit more because Steam didn't register my play time until it unlocked in my region.

My game of the year, so far. Lots of things to love. The mechanics, the art, the world, the level design, the characters, etc.

Still some areas to improve. I didn't actually mind the story because it was a story of stuff going on around you as opposed to singularly about you, even if you play an integral role in events. It also took the Half-Life rout of the story existing within the confines of what you, the player, experience from the perspective of the character. I enjoyed some elements were never fully explained, leaving it up to you to piece together elements of the world

I didn't dislike the ending, but it was way too abrupt. This is partially due to the last level being quite easy. I still very much enjoyed it, but it was hardly climatic 'challenge' to the game. It had the same 'problem' a few other levels had, where instead of focusing on more open, layered environments with guards and NPCs in multiple tricky areas, it had too many instances of easy bottlenecks. Powers like control and time stop make those challenges extremely easy even going non-lethal and no alerts.

Almost every level in the game satisfied me, except for one (
the latter half of the sewers, where you encounter Granny Rags
). Even though I would have liked to see more openness in some stages, and more layered game design like is evident early on. But I feel this feeling of "more, more, more" is simply rooted in my desire to experience more of Dishonored.

I don't feel underwhelmed, I feel like I just want to play more. I want more missions with those mechanics. I wan't to experience more of the game world. I want to explore more areas. It was the kind of game where I just didn't want it to end, yet end it must.

I really don't know where DLC can fit in. If they can work out a cool way to do it, perhaps
not as Corvo, but some of Daud’s past missions
, and the quality is high, I will buy it.

Just wanted to comment on the game's performance on PS3. The game looks excellent and is very sharp and defined, the screen tearing solely shows up during those 20 second movies where your are in a boat about to dock or un-dock.

ironcreed

Banned
Killed every target so far except the
Lord Regent. Kind of funny how he recorded and implicated himself like that. Ridiculous really, but I guess justice served is justice served.

Now I am
being held at the Flooded District after being left for dead
and am at what I am guessing is near the end. The gameplay, level design and world are all amazing, but the story and main missions feel a bit on the rushed side. Despite having played for about 11 hours so far, getting to the
Lord Regent and the big betrayal afterwards
just did not feel like there were enough obstacles in my way. I really feel it could have had a more fleshed out build up.

Top Bottom