• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Nemesis_

With regards to the Lady Boyle mission

Does Samuel's boat move beyond the canal gate every time? Or am I just getting discovered every time? >_>

Answer ASAP would be appreciated xo

Sidzed2

Just started what I presume to be the final mission. This is a top-shelf stealth game, but it sure does peak mid-way through.

The BioShock comparison is apt - this is great game which just can't quite maintain its momentum and quality. Mission 7 in particular was just awful, which is especially disappointing given the highs which came before. I adored the "Last Party...", which I think is THE mission this game will be known for,

If I replay a mission from the main menu, does it carry on with the choices I've made in prior saves?

I finally finished Golden Cat, but still really annoyed that the bug prevented me from doing a non lethal finish. Tempted to retry the entire thing from mission start (deleting saves in the process) and seeing if it lets me exit the house, and if not then I'll just have a bit of a cleaner run.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
One bug I did notice is that some of the achievements are borked. Late in the game, when
loading the sewer area after the flooded district
, I got achievements the achievement for Manipulator (Make others kill 5 of their own allies) and I'm certain I did no such thing.

ironcreed

Banned
With regards to the Lady Boyle mission

Does Samuel's boat move beyond the canal gate every time? Or am I just getting discovered every time? >_>

Answer ASAP would be appreciated xo

He moves to keep from being spotted by Tall Boys. Just find a path down and you will get to him. I found a gutter to scurry through without being seen.

Some of these achievements are annoying. I just looked up the complete list and found out that there is an achievement called "Clean Hands" for not killing anyone and apparently killing the assassins in the beginning or anyone during the Prison prologue also counts toward the achievement. There is also an achievement for using only Blink that requires you don't purchase any other powers, regardless of whether you use them or not. I also saw an achievement for killing all the key targets using only indirect methods. In addition, there are ways that some of these achievements can get bugged (e.g. completing the Granny/Slackjaw side mission during mission 7).

I think I am going to throw my Ghost/Shadows play through out the window and just wreak havoc and then go back and play through only the main missions or whatever side missions are absolutely required in order to get all the aforementioned achievements above. This seems like the best option since I already screwed myself out of the "Clean Hands" and "Mostly Flesh and Steel" achievement, and I would be pretty annoyed if I put in all the effort to start over, only to have half of the achievements get bugged and not pop.

ironcreed

Banned
Speaking of the achievements/trophies, I found an exploit last night, but did not go through with it.
After I chose to go the non-lethal route and exposed the Lord Regent by broadcasting his recorded confession, I got killed on my way out by a Wall of Light that I thought I had rewired. I got the trophy before I got killed and the auto save started me right before making the choice. I could still go kill the Lord Regent and also get that trophy if I wanted, but I decided to save that for my next play through.

neoism

what the hell happened

so in the mission with campbell and curnow,
i went into the room, spilled the glasses, noticed and grabbed the rune on the wall, then blinked away so i could hide and watch them interact. but then, everybody started running and curnow was being chased by guards??? he ran out of the room with the guards behind him and, next thing i knew, the objective said that he had been rescued. wtf did i do to make that happen?

I think this game has some AI glitches.... I had a problem in the 2 mission with SlackJaw he went red on me when I tried to do his side quest for the poison.....:/

neoism

I set-up the Nvidia inspector and SweetFX settings and it looks better. I understand what they where doing with some of the muted colors but it's really a beautiful game this way. I wonder if a hi-res texture pack is coming?

Anyway now that I finished X-Com can't wait to get into Dishonored more.

oh yes SweetFX makes it look amazing... love it now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Are people recommending hard or just normal on a first playthrough?

I started on Hard.

It's really easy.

Then again, I'm almost completely avoiding combat, so I don't think the difficulty setting even comes into play.

neoism

Does anybody have any kind of information on the budget of Dishonored?

To me this game feels like what I would call a 'medium' size budget games. Not in the range of something like Assassins Creed 3 but not some small indie game either.

I am interested in this because the middle seems to have been squeezed by the AAA games in recent years but also because even though I am enjoying the game it seems so small and limited in some ways.

Perhaps my mind has been corrupted by The Chaos God of AAA Big Budget expectations.

at least 30mil
According to imdb it's $25 million. If that number is true it probably includes marketing too. I can't imagine this game costing that much unless it also includes marketing.

Edit: And before anyone makes a joke about how this game had no marketing. I did see a lot of ads for this game on websites. They also made a CG trailer and the Tales from Dunwall webisodes.

was close lol word of month from the gamers will help too..

diamount

Banned
Did anyone experience a bug where you play the High Regent's confessions but there is no audio? It did work as the guards came and arrested him for treason but no audio of his confessions played at all

I started off a little cool on this game. I'm fucking loving it now though. Playing it all actiony sucks. Sneaking around makes it so much more fun. I still hate the silent protagonist, but sneaking up behind bitches and choking them out or stabbing them in the neck is just awesome. Some things are a little quirky, like sometimes feeling floaty and missing jumps or a bad guy hearing me when I swear I did nothing to make a sound. But, overall awesome.

thefil

There are no maps in this game, right? I like that they don't give you a magic GPS map, but I wish there was either a map before missions so you could build a mental model of the space, or a compass to keep from too much disorientation.

epmode

There are no maps in this game, right? I like that they don't give you a magic GPS map, but I wish there was either a map before missions so you could build a mental model of the space, or a compass to keep from too much disorientation.

A compass would be nice + a Thief-style hand-drawn map.

There are maps in many of the levels though. You just can't take them with you.

Derrick01

Banned
I love no map. So far it's made me thoroughly explore every level and memorize locations, very satisfying.

Yup having such a detailed map is one of the things that ruined human revolution's exploration. It's hard to resist just not using it either so I'm glad they took temptation away in this game.

SHarris78

I really don't know what to make of the game at the moment. I've been using mouse/keys on the PC and more often than not end up pressing the wrong buttons(!), may try using a 360 pad instead.

Started the game on hard and decided to take the stealth approach, but kept getting noticed and had to kill the baddies. Now I feel like i'm neither trying to be stealthy or be kill-crazy, and as a result I feel i'm missing something. It just feels like any other decent FPS.

May restart on medium, using my 360 pad and kill everything that moves, then once i've completed the game and have an idea of where everything is and what to do, i'll attempt the stealth approach.

protonion

In the first mission there is a rune near the beginning where you rescue a merchant from some thugs. It's shows that it is on the floor above but I cannot find the way there.

Jack_AG

Banned
Not sure how but I managed to kill someone during a mission. Can you accidentally kill someone after you've knocked them out? :(
A few ways have been mentioned earlier - rats are your main worry. Put them on a bed or any other raised object rats can't reach.

I love the fact that's there no easily accessible map too, it really makes you take the time to explore and learn the world of the game. It says a lot about the level design that I haven't got lost once even without any maps and objective markers.

cackhyena

I'm not finding i really need a map. I just think being able to Far Cry 2 style bring up a map in your hand that only roughly lays out the surroundings would be kinda boss. Having that to refer to and hearing talk of strange artifacts in the area without visual cues leading you there, with only the beating of the heart to lead you would be my preference.

The Chef

3 thugs facing away from me. Crossbow one, blink behind the second and plunge my sword in his neck. 3rd one charges me, I counter and slice through his head. No alarms no one freakin out. Just silence.
I was grinning like a mad man.

227839420.gif

Jack_AG

Banned
In the first mission there is a rune near the beginning where you rescue a merchant from some thugs. It's shows that it is on the floor above but I cannot find the way there.
First mission is "Dishonored" - escaping jail/sewer. Second mission is the one you are on - "High Overseer Campbell".

Check your entrances.

BKJest

You can climb up a level with blink inside the house where the merchant was kept.

Finished today in the morning... I'm kind of surprised because I actually liked the story and the ending when everybody was saying it was crap.

Then again I get the
Low Chaos ending
so...

epmode

I love the fact that's there no easily accessible map too, it really makes you take the time to explore and learn the world of the game. It says a lot about the level design that I haven't got lost once even without any maps and objective markers.

A less-detailed map is useful just to just have a general idea of where you are. Thief handled this very well and the same thing could work here.

But these levels seem to be smaller than the sprawling Thief levels so it probably wouldn't make as much of a difference.

-BLITZ-

When the game will ever end ? :D
After I finished Lord Regent mission I though this was it, but now that I'm back in
The Hound Pits that is over taken by guards and tallboys :(
seems like the game never ends.

Anyone else find it annoying that new items (coin / collectables) appear in places you have fully explored / cleared when you go back for a new mission. It makes it so i have to go through the same levels multiple times trying to find all the coins :(

Eusis

Yeah, interesting at first, but feels kind of rushed with no character development or real sense of progression. Gameplay, level design and atmosphere are all amazing, though.
They set up a very interesting world, with the game being but the tip of the ice berg. It's why I'm not as disinclined to see sequels to this as I would be some other new (effectively at least) IP. Just so long as they don't stick too close to the same premise and set it somewhere other than Dunwall.

Anyways, uhh, got a bit crazy, and decided to do a new very hard run with kills in mind. Definitely doesn't seem like it jumped much at all beyond the fact I might have to actually chug multiple elixirs, but perhaps actively out to stealth kill enemies as much as possible alleviates that? Anyways, got back to the 5th mission,
Lady Boyle's Party, and decided to go ahead and off nearly everyone at the part after dropping off Ezma... with Rat Plague. Man, that's actually really good to use for crowd control, and it seems the more appropriate way to completely destroy the party.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
When the game will ever end ? :D
After I finished Lord Regent mission I though this was it, but now that I'm back in
The Hound Pits that is over taken by guards and tallboys :(
seems like the game never ends.

You're close to the end. You have one more mission after where you are. The last mission is a lot of fun, too.

Yeah, I just beat it too and the ending wasn't that bad.

It's not bad at all. It has resolution, and there are no loose ends. It's not a FANTASTIC ending, but it serves its purpose.

Eusis

It's not bad at all. It has resolution, and there are no loose ends. It's not a FANTASTIC ending, but it serves its purpose.
It's definitely not exciting. I'd consider it "bad", but it falls under "boring" rather than "stupid awful way to end a game/series". More like Bioshock and less like ME3 pre-extended cut, basically. More importantly with games set up this way I'm not really sure any ending could've been satisfying, not without going full blown crazy anyway. And that might not necessarily be "satisfying" anyway.

3 thugs facing away from me. Crossbow one, blink behind the second and plunge my sword in his neck. 3rd one charges me, I counter and slice through his head. No alarms no one freakin out. Just silence.
I was grinning like a mad man.

I fucking love that one guy seeing you doesn't send everyone on the fucking map into an alert mode automatically. I fucking hate that in a lot of games.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It's definitely not exciting. I'd consider it "bad", but it falls under "boring" rather than "stupid awful way to end a game/series". More like Bioshock and less like ME3 pre-extended cut, basically. More importantly with games set up this way I'm not really sure any ending could've been satisfying, not without going full blown crazy anyway. And that might not necessarily be "satisfying" anyway.

I think more than anything, the ending is just meant to serve as validation for your actions, and it serves that purpose.

Finally started last night. Played for about 3 hours and just stopped after I got Blink for the first time.

This game is going to special. Wow. Absolutely loving the atmosphere so far.

Top Bottom