• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

CyReN

Beat the game last night, loved it. The one thing I hated about it though was the encounter with the sick/zombieish people.

Has anyone else had any trouble disabling objective markers on the 360? Disabling them via the options menu completes fails to do anything in game, so I've had to resort to disabling each one manually in my journal as each new quest is added.

Just spent 90 missions on the second mission doing all the side missions and finding the hidden stuff. So much fun to explore. I had to kill 2 guards though :( Bah! I took the non-lethal approach at the end which was cool. Not as brutal as I hoped, though...

One thing that's a bit of a bummer is all of the upgrades seem to be for people who want to do lethal combat etc. As a pure stealth player there's not much there for me. Ditto with the shop at the bar, which is pretty much a place to stock up on sleeping darts and improve one or two bits of gear. I wish there was more stealth things to upgrade (that didn't make the game too easy, like the ability to see through walls etc which I don't want).

Jack_AG

Banned
Just spent 90 missions on the second mission doing all the side missions and finding the hidden stuff. So much fun to explore. I had to kill 2 guards though :( Bah! I took the non-lethal approach at the end which was cool. Not as brutal as I hoped, though...

One thing that's a bit of a bummer is all of the upgrades seem to be for people who want to do lethal combat etc. As a pure stealth player there's not much there for me. Ditto with the shop at the bar, which is pretty much a place to stock up on sleeping darts and improve one or two bits of gear. I wish there was more stealth things to upgrade (that didn't make the game too easy, like the ability to see through walls etc which I don't want).
Hmmm.. of the 10 powers you can acquire - just 3 of them are geared towards combat with a 4th (Devouring Swarm) can be used for stealth/death.

There are more stealth options than straight kill options.

There are many stealth upgrades but you'll need to search for them. I found a
"Boot Stealth 1" blueprint which reduces the noise of your footsteps when not crouching
for example.

This game has much more options and upgrades than what appears on the surface, I recommend everyone to explore every nook and cranny of this game and proceed to further missions to experience the depth of the game.

Zeliard

The heart is my favorite thing about this game.. I just cant stop right clicking on anything and everything

I love the heart and its morbid portents. I have it bound to 2 and use it constantly in every location and on everyone, including enemies.

Just played through past the first real mission.

I got into the meeting chamber with no kills, no detections, and only one knockout when I was releasing the guy from the shackles. Choked the Overseer while he was taking a piss!

Then I jumped down and switched the poisons. After the guy dies, I immediately shot the captain full of sleep poison, took the blackmail book and carried him to a dumpster somewhere.

The thing I loved most about Deus Ex, Thief, Hitman, etc. was not actually carrying out the plans, it was how the levels were designed so you could always feel the ripples of different paths along the way. You can actually see the branching tree of options you have laid before you.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Yeah. On my non-lethal playthrough, I avoided 90% of the upgrades and about half the powers. Now that I'm doing a high chaos run, I'm using everything, and it's crazy fun.

I like that, though. In order to get the good ending, you have to restrain yourself.

Riposte

The level design is nice and layered (if not a bit too loose, blink solves most issues), but I have a hard time seeing what is special about the stealth. More serviceable than amazing. That isn't to say swiftly and meticulously slaughtering a group of enemies with an ambush isn't very appealing. It is the stuff besides.

thefil

The level design is nice and layered (if not a bit too loose, blink solves most issues), but I have a hard time seeing what is special about the stealth. More serviceable than amazing. That isn't to say swiftly and meticulously slaughtering a group of enemies with an ambush isn't very appealing. It is the stuff besides.

Agreed. The stealth is well-executed, but exactly in line with expectations for a first person stealth game.

It's really a stealth that revolves around the level design, like in Deus Ex. You see the opportunities offered to you by the level design and use them along with your powers. It really feels like Deus Ex, in my opinion. Even how the shadows work reminds me of it.

Just finished it and now I want to go and replay missions but...I can't select any before Mission 5? what? They're all unavailable on my screen.

cackhyena

Agreed. The stealth is well-executed, but exactly in line with expectations for a first person stealth game.

No it's not. Stealth in Thief did it best. In shadows, you were hidden enough to have people walk right next to you. There's a great tension in that. The eye letting you know your level of being hidden was nice. That touch here in their own form would have been a cool addition to mechanics. It's nice that they have more realistic sight, but shadows could and should play a part, imo.

Zeliard

I think the game really shines when you experiment with the options you have, both in navigating levels and doing objectives, as well as in dispatching enemies. If there's an issue with non-lethal stealth it's that it tends to limit you in the latter, since the powers and tools you get lean towards brutal lethality.

That's why I chose to go lethal my first playthrough - to take my time with immersing myself in the game as well as in finding inventive ways to do things. Non-lethal stealth will be great for more of a speed run later on once I've already experienced the story elements.

No it's not. Stealth in Thief did it best. In shadows, you were hidden enough to have people walk right next to you. There's a great tension in that. The eye letting you know your level of being hidden was nice. That touch here in their own form would have been a cool addition to mechanics. It's nice that they have more realistic sight, but shadows could and should play a part, imo.

Shadows do play a part, but only at a distance. You can put off candles after all.

LegatoB

Okay, so, somebody tell me if I've gone insane, or if there's a bug preventing me from getting a no-kills run without doing ALL the sidequests.

I'm in the
Flooded District
level, and
I've tried finishing the level four times -- the WHOLE thing, start to finish -- without killing anyone, and the game keeps saying I've killed 1 Hostile. Now, either I'm accidentally killing someone *consistently* in a way I haven't noticed -- and I've been carefully placing bodies so they won't go falling into the water, when I bother to fight instead of teleporting past -- or there's a glitch going on. And I think I have an idea.

I never talked to Granny Rags in the first mission. I did the sidequests for Slackjaw since those ended up being how you get the non-lethal option in the second mission. I've seen a bunch of walkthroughs that say that the sewer gate in the last area of the Flooded City is locked and that you have to go down a tunnel and deal with Granny Rags & Slackjaw and so on... but that's not the case for me. The gate's unlocked, and the passageway to visit Rags & Jaw is barred up. No way through.

So the only thing I can think of is that not saving Slackjaw somehow counts as a kill for me. That, or, again, I'm fucking up something else.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Fifth time was the charm. Still not sure who was dying, never saw any rat swarms, but, whatever. I'm done with this mission.

The shadow system in this game works perfectly. It's only effective if you're far away and they can only see you if you're close to them, which I think is great. Of course I think the shadow system in older games like Thief and Chaos Theory is good too but it's nice to have the more realistic variety in this game. They didn't completely remove shadows but didn't add a visual indicator for it either.

cackhyena

Shadows do play a part, but only at a distance. You can put off candles after all.

That's fine, and the system we have here, while different than I'm used to works pretty well. But deep darks to hide in like SC or Thief is my preference. To be able to literally slip by these guys would add that much more tension.

That's fine, and the system we have here, while different than I'm used to works pretty well. But deep darks to hide in like SC or Thief is my preference. To be able to literally slip by these guys would add that much more tension.

Of course, not saying you're wrong for liking one more than the other. Just saying the shadows do matter.

cackhyena

Of course, not saying you're wrong for liking one more than the other. Just saying the shadows do matter.

Are we absolutely sure of that, though? Are we sure it just isn't artificial line cut off for them after a certain distance? I've been far enough away outside and a guy is looking in my direction and did nothing. Similarly half the distance in a shadow indoors would get an alert immediately. I ask because there is no indicator, so how are you sure?

Jack_AG

Banned
Okay, so, somebody tell me if I've gone insane, or if there's a bug preventing me from getting a no-kills run without doing ALL the sidequests.

I'm in the
Flooded District
level, and
I've tried finishing the level four times -- the WHOLE thing, start to finish -- without killing anyone, and the game keeps saying I've killed 1 Hostile. Now, either I'm accidentally killing someone *consistently* in a way I haven't noticed -- and I've been carefully placing bodies so they won't go falling into the water, when I bother to fight instead of teleporting past -- or there's a glitch going on. And I think I have an idea.

I never talked to Granny Rags in the first mission. I did the sidequests for Slackjaw since those ended up being how you get the non-lethal option in the second mission. I've seen a bunch of walkthroughs that say that the sewer gate in the last area of the Flooded City is locked and that you have to go down a tunnel and deal with Granny Rags & Slackjaw and so on... but that's not the case for me. The gate's unlocked, and the passageway to visit Rags & Jaw is barred up. No way through.

So the only thing I can think of is that not saving Slackjaw somehow counts as a kill for me. That, or, again, I'm fucking up something else.

Any ideas?

I'm doing a non-lethal run right now and I'm not to that mission just yet but I am on my second playthrough:
In an earlier mission an AI controlled NPC killed another AI controlled NPC but I cleared it without kills - so if Rags kills Slackjaw it should not count (at least from what I have experienced)

Are you making sure to put unconscious bodies on higher ground away from rats? I've noticed some packs will come out of nowhere to devour bodies of the fallen so placing them on top of boxes, in trash bins, on top of beds, desks, etc will keep the rats from killing them.

If rats kill something you have rendered unconscious it will count as your kill... I will have to see what goes down when I get to that part again since
I never talked to Rags on my second playthrough

DAMMIT WHY DID I LOOK!

Truthfully I was 99.9% sure from the get-go but DAMN WHY DID I LOOK!

Spoiler for that scene in particular, so NOBODY LOOK

I'm pretty sure that
Emily looks up to Corvo like a father figure; he's not necessarily her biological father. Think Little Sisters and Big Daddies.

Yeah. On my non-lethal playthrough, I avoided 90% of the upgrades and about half the powers. Now that I'm doing a high chaos run, I'm using everything, and it's crazy fun.

I like that, though. In order to get the good ending, you have to restrain yourself.

Yeah, it's not a major thing, just a bit of a bummer the upgrade stuff doesn't have much use for me.

I predict that for 95% of the game I'll be using the warp skill and the choke move. Crossbow with tranq darts if I'm in a sticky situation!

Are we absolutely sure of that, though? Are we sure it just isn't artificial line cut off for them after a certain distance? I've been far enough away outside and a guy is looking in my direction and did nothing. Similarly half the distance in a shadow indoors would get an alert immediately. I ask because there is no indicator, so how are you sure?

I'm pretty sure I tested this earlier. If you're in plain sight guards *will* see you, but as long as there's shadow you won't be seen at a distance.
Source: myself.

Amir0x

Banned
this game is beyond fantastic, i am guaranteed to immediately start a new game in the lethal style after I am done. I only replay games extremely rarely (i must absolutely adore a game to be willing to replay something), and I almost never replay a game immediately after I'm done (too familiar with the material, would get bored). This is just captured me all over the place.

I guess I'll only know how I feel completely when I get a feel for the gunplay/combat, since I basically didn't touch anyone all game. So if that's awesome too, 9.8/10.

As an aside, and this is only tangentially related to Dishonored:

When I turned on the faucet in Dishonored, a thought occurred to me... how come so many games have a thing with letting characters interact with faucets/sinks and toilets? It can be in a game where absolutely nothing else is able to be interacted with, but if there's a sink, you'll be able to turn it on and see a few seconds of water spilling out of it. It always seemed an odd thing for a developer to even waste 30 minutes of development time on :p

As an aside, and this is only tangentially related to Dishonored:

When I turned on the faucet in Dishonored, a thought occurred to me... how come so many games have a thing with letting characters interact with faucets/sinks and toilets? It can be in a game where absolutely nothing else is able to be interacted with, but if there's a sink, you'll be able to turn it on and see a few seconds of water spilling out of it. It always seemed an odd thing for a developer to even waste 30 minutes of development time on :p

I guess it's for the sake of adding small details. Also, there is a
bone charm which allows sinks, water fountains, etc., to heal you if you drink from them.

Amir0x

Banned
I guess it's for the sake of adding small details. Also, there is a
bone charm which allows sinks, water fountains, etc., to heal you if you drink from them.

Oh, heh, didn't know that about the bone charm.

But I mean, if it was just for the sake of detail, there's so many other things they could add little inconsequential details to, but as I said so often even with games with nothing else to interact with, sinks and toilets get precedence. I'm not criticizing it, I just find it amusing for some reason :p

Oh, heh, didn't know that about the bone charm.

But I mean, if it was just for the sake of detail, there's so many other things they could add little inconsequential details too, but as I said so often even with games with nothing else to interact with, sinks and toilets get precedence. I'm not criticizing it, I just find it amusing for some reason :p

I imagine it must be some sort of inside joke with game devs.

Blink seems to nullify most of the level design and that's the default ability.

I disagree. I'd say it revolves around it, instead. Even with that ability getting found is surprisingly easy, especially since there are many areas (like stairs) that force you to be more careful.

whyman

Wow just beat the game. Best one ive played in a long long time. Everyone should buy it! NOW! :p

More games like this please. :)

vidcons

Banned

It's okay, I'm pretty sure by the time most people get Blink to level 2 the designers kind of gave up on making the levels dense and interesting.

The Bridge and Tower levels are pretty bad. Flooded district seems a lot better. Has more to do with there being enemies that are threats than the actual layout, though.

Best part of whole masquerade mission was getting back to the boat. The rest of that level was climbing in rafters and there always being a vent to get you into the places you need to get to.

For such a short game, they gave up quickly on creating clever entry and exit strategies for pretty much every room. When the basis for your game is giving rooms as many doors as possible, it's kind of boring when they're all the same.

Just beat the game, loved it.

Despite most of my levels ending in high chaos I ended up with a low chaos final level. There were only two other levels I finished with low chaos.

vidcons

Banned
Also, why am I jamming everything I find into my face.

The sink interaction makes sense for one puzzle but why am I constantly eating food. It's not like anybody Corvo hangs out with complains about hunger. Your stomach never rumbles and that gives away your position.

Why is there so much food to eat and why can I eat all of it and Bioshock really fucked over this industry.

Locke_211

Hadn't heard of this until the other day, bought it today, played up to the first real mission and love it. The world-building in particular is quite ambitious and unique, and the visuals are wonderful.

Does anyone know why everyone is sabotaging the ps3 metacritic user score? Just because it's Bethesda?

masud

Banned
Just played through past the first real mission.

I got into the meeting chamber with no kills, no detections, and only one knockout when I was releasing the guy from the shackles. Choked the Overseer while he was taking a piss!

Then I jumped down and switched the poisons. After the guy dies, I immediately shot the captain full of sleep poison, took the blackmail book and carried him to a dumpster somewhere.

The thing I loved most about Deus Ex, Thief, Hitman, etc. was not actually carrying out the plans, it was how the levels were designed so you could always feel the ripples of different paths along the way. You can actually see the branching tree of options you have laid before you.

Did you beat the side quest by doing that? When I tried that he didnt get away.

I don't think it nullifies it - that is the level design, they intend for it to be exploited with a default ability. Which is how you know at it's core the game is just a power fantasy when it should be the opposite.

A better game (or a better designer) would have implemented some downside or tradeoff to using it, maybe having to choose between blink or something else like possession, but you can't have both. Of course that kind of game design is long gone.

ScOULaris

Just finished the Golden Cat mission non-lethally, and I can safely say that I finally grasp the stealth gameplay to the point where I can get really creative with my kills and takedowns. The game just makes you feel so powerful, like every guard and civilian is but a mere ant that you can squash beneath your boot without giving a second's thought.

In the Golden Cat, for example, I had choked out every guard on the top floor. The only people remaining were a guard and a brothel maid talking on a balcony, overlooking the muddy waters below. I hid right behind them as the maid waxed nostalgic about lonely nights on that balcony. At some point I grew bored of their idle talk, so I decided to summon a swarm of hungry, plague-infested rates from beneath their feet. The woman didn't stand a chance. She was immediately overwhelmed by gnawing rodents and consumed rather quickly. The guard put up more of a fight, stomping out rats one by one in a frantic attempt at survival. I watched all of this unfold from about twenty feet away, and once the guard was just about to stomp out the last rat and survive I put a crossbow bolt right between his eyes, sending him tumbling over the railing and down into the waters below. His corpse was then consumed by man-eating fish.

So, yeah. I'm playing with an all-stealth approach, but my frequent silent kills have led to a high Chaos rating overall.

I don't think it nullifies it - that is the level design, they intend for it to be exploited with a default ability. Which is how you know at it's core the game is just a power fantasy when it should be the opposite.

A better game (or a better designer) would have implemented some downside or tradeoff to using it, maybe having to choose between blink or something else like possession, but you can't have both. Of course that kind of game design is long gone.

I don't think it's that overpowered, as I said above. In Dishonored few places are safe from guards' eyes: it's not like Thief where you can hide in the shadows. Here you either use the verticality offered by the level design or you think fast.

branny

I love the Lady Boyle mission so much. It also taught me things about the game's AI I had previously not known...lol.

I went up through the wine cellar and trespassed into the upstairs area of the manor. A couple of people (I think a nearby maid and guard maybe) briefly went into alert mode because of how sloppy I did this, but I ended up ignoring them and just rummaged around upstairs. I eventually left the manor through the balcony up there and tried re-entering with my invitation. The invitation thing was sorta bugged for me at the gate area AFAIK (I had picked up an invitation from another mission, yet talking to the guard at the gate created an invitation quest marker that pointed into the floor for some reason), so I went through the front door some other way as a guest.

I wandered around talking to people at the party (I laughed so hard at a masked NPC who caught me stealing stuff; "don't worry! I do it all the time--they won't miss a thing" or something to that extent). The whole point of this story, though, is that I didn't realize AI had individual memory or maybe even the ability to propagate information. Apparently some of the people who were alerted earlier were walking around down there now and totally blew my cover because they recognized me from before. I'm also pretty sure I only alerted one or two at the beginning of the mission, but it seemed like all the maids and servants would get alerted at the sight of me. Either I had originally alerted way more than I thought, or they were actually talking with one another about what happened.

Spoiler for that scene in particular, so NOBODY LOOK

I'm pretty sure that
Emily looks up to Corvo like a father figure; he's not necessarily her biological father. Think Little Sisters and Big Daddies.

But...
Later Havelock (I think) remarks in an audiolog or something to the likes of "Is he really her father?". Sounded like he was honestly unsure or something.

Top Bottom