• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s Bob Iger shares new details on streaming services

Link.

Disney is moving forward in its mission to launch new subscription services starting next year.

The company said in August that movies from Walt Disney Studios and Pixar will no longer be available on Netflix starting in 2019 because of its own upcoming service. It also said an ESPN-branded video-streaming service will launch in 2018. This comes as cable TV sees falling subscriptions and people's watching habits continually shift in the age of new media.

Chairman and CEO Robert Iger said Tuesday that accepting these permanent changes in viewing habits helped drive Disney's decision. He was interviewed on stage by Vanity Fair special correspondent Nick Bilton at the magazine's New Establishment Summit in Los Angeles.

"At some point, we felt it would be necessary for us to not only be disrupted, but to disrupt our business ourselves," Iger said. "We felt that we were no longer seeing a speed bump of disruption ... What we were seeing instead was real, profound and permanent change."

Iger said the mobile-friendly sports product, which will likely launch in the spring, will have 10,000 extra live sporting events. Viewers can purchase a monthly subscription to access them.

"Eventually, that app may possibly become the only way you watch ESPN," Iger said.

The Disney-branded movie product will feature Disney, Pixar, Star Wars and Marvel films. The company will also make original films for the platform that won't be released in theaters.

As part of the reveal of these services earlier this year, Disney also said it had acquired majority ownership of streaming video and internet services company BAMTech.

JJH

Distribution never been my problem with ESPN; it's been the content itself. Fix that and I might start watching again.

flkraven

What the fuck is the point of owning all these different companies if you are just going to release separate streams for all of them. Fuck them for trying to wedge a cable model into streaming. I'll stick with the services that have the most options in one place, thanks.

If Disney merges ESPN, ABC, Marvel, Star Wars, etc etc, then I'll take a look.

More:
"We're not creating a premium-to-cable experience." Iger says people who want to see new Disney movies will have to go to the theater.
Iger says they'll take Disney shows from ABC and other networks and have them stream on its network. This will go into effect in 2019.

Fuck off with that. I need one service not several thereby killing the reason why anyone would cut the cord in the first place.

Gravity Falls: The Return?

Curious if that means this service will be the new home of stuff like the Direct-To-Video Tinkerbell shit, or if their plans are more ambitious.

Throwing up some low-mid budget side-stories from the Star Wars and Marvel universes could be really cool, but I dunno if I see them doing that.

Loxley

"I was going to do your family a favor and install the Disney streaming app - for free - well forget it."

Some Nobody

Ultimately, "the market will decide", but I'll tell you where I stand:

I'll get a subscription to Hulu for frequent updates, Netflix because of original content, and Crunchyroll for supporting anime. You can put your content on one of those three places, or you're on your own. I'm not going to let you nickle and dime your way back to $160 for cable. Fuck. That.

Unfortunately, Disney is one of the few corporations with enough content to make a thing like this work. They have so many things, it's insane.

jts

...hate me...
Fuck off with that. I need one service not several thereby killing the reason why anyone would cut the cord in the first place.
I thought people cut the cord to choose and pay for discrete services with the content they prefer a la carte, cancel and resub anytime, watch anywhere.

What you're going to see more and more is unless companies merge to make monopolies, you're never getting that one service. This isn't surprising. It was always a pipe dream at best, and people bought it because they wanted to believe cable was an archaic form. So now the future is paying more than you ever did for cable to get streaming services for each of the programs you actually want.

Everyone was always going to want their own piece of the pie. How quickly people jumped at it just exacerbated the speed at which it's happening.

Kayant

The company will also make original films for the platform that won't be released in theaters
TadkV.gif

jts

...hate me...
Lets say you have a $20-$30 budget for streaming services.

Get Netflix on lock.
Subscribe 1 or 2 more services on rotation. Binge what you want to watch, cancel subscription. Come back later when they stock their fridges with new stuff or a new season of your fave show is streaming a new episode per week.

For me this is a immensely valuable model. In fact, I only fear we'll get deterrent factors in place to stop us from moving so freely.

Ridley327

The original films aspect to the service seems pretty interesting, especially if they wound up doing something like, oh, I don't know, Tron 3 exclusive to it.

Some Nobody

I thought people cut the cord to choose and pay for discrete services with the content they prefer a la carte, cancel and resub anytime, watch anywhere.

No, that's what people fantasized about in the mid-2000's. When the 20-somethings started cutting cords in the 2010s, it was because Netflix literally had everything you cared to watch and if it didn't, you'd just wait. Then Hulu came along and supplemented it, and for $20 you got all you wanted without throwing away $100 on a cable bill.

This has the potential for being one of those services I maintain a constant sub to, like Netflix. I just need to see EXACTLY what content they are going to have. Because Cartoon Network's Boomerang sounded interesting, but didn't have anywhere near the catalog I was hoping it would have.

I can't speak for everyone who does it, but most people I speak to do it to save money. $150+ for internet and cable is too much. But if your ISP charges $70 (which is what Spectrum charges me for 50~60 down) and you have Hulu, Netflix, Noggin (for my daughter), PSVUE/Sling/whatever then it adds up to be just as much if not more.

I went back to cable for this very reason. Only paying $120 plus tax.

AND they want to change how people watch ESPN? One of the channels who have single handedly increased the cost of cable for everyone? Fuck all that. Glad I have cable and don't have to worry about it anymore.

What you're going to see more and more is unless companies merge to make monopolies, you're never getting that one service. This isn't surprising. It was always a pipe dream at best, and people bought it because they wanted to believe cable was an archaic form. So now the future is paying more than you ever did for cable to get streaming services for each of the programs you actually want.

Everyone was always going to want their own piece of the pie. How quickly people jumped at it just exacerbated the speed at which it's happening.

I figured it wouldn't happen but damn, still sucks. I think this is just going to push people to use Kodi on Firesticks even more than they have.

muteki

The only way I see myself remotely interested in this is if they put old and/or obscure Disney stuff on there, which they have mountains of that aren't easily viewable today.

If it is just going to be modern stuff and marvel, I'll just buy the bds of the ones that interest me.

This sucks but Disney is one of the few companies that could make this work just due to huge dearth of content. If they actually put all of their shit on this, and don't arbitrarily exclude certain things (which I feel they'll do anyways). I could see this being very successful.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Throwing up some low-mid budget side-stories from the Star Wars and Marvel universes could be really cool, but I dunno if I see them doing that.

You mean like Rebels, those princess cartoons, and the lego star wars stuff they have on XD? I definitely see that level of stuff, but something like a live action SW show, no way.

These streaming services are hosed once folks just sub to one, binge all the annually released content in a month, then unsubscribe and move to the next one. No one is going to have an annual subscription unless it is either really cheap or a wall of new content (the Netflix approach) but I don't think anyone can match the pockets of Netflix.

The days of 1 service are long gone. If you want one service, get TV again.

Also, I started using the new Disney NOW Roku app and I don't like it so far. It aggregates all their other apps, Disney Junior, etc.. into one. Its slow

lawnchair

Banned

if that's the future you're looking for, by all means go for it.

my future includes me paying for no more than two streaming services. if that means i spend less time watching TV, or don't have access to every TV show available, fine by me.

I'll only be disappointed if their backend isn't as good as Netflix, or at least noticeably worse.

BAMTech are basically the best in the industry when it comes to this type of backend, so that shouldn't be a problem.

You mean like Rebels, those princess cartoons, and the lego star wars stuff they have on XD? I definitely see that level of stuff, but something like a live action SW show, no way.

These streaming services are hosed once folks just sub to one, binge all the annually released content in a month, then unsubscribe and move to the next one. No one is going to have an annual subscription unless it is either really cheap or a wall of new content (the Netflix approach) but I don't think anyone can match the pockets of Netflix.

Disney can match the pockets of Netflix. Disney has enough money to flat out buy Netflix, and at the moment produces a good deal more original content than they do, they just spread it out between theatrical releases and their TV channels.

I can't speak for everyone who does it, but most people I speak to do it to save money. $150+ for internet and cable is too much. But if your ISP charges $70 (which is what Spectrum charges me for 50~60 down) and you have Hulu, Netflix, Noggin (for my daughter), PSVUE/Sling/whatever then it adds up to be just as much if not more.

I went back to cable for this very reason. Only paying $120 plus tax.

Factoring in the price of internet itself is nonsense thinking because the average person will always pay that base $70 even with cable... Because you aren't not going to have internet.

btrboyev

I think is a mistake for Disney to do this, especially shutting out Netflix, which will still number 1 after Disney releases whatever think is going to be successful.

Griss

All this fragmentation sucks - I don't subscribe to anything anymore as a result. Granted, I don't watch any TV and few movies anyway, but I used to have Netflix for those rare occasions.

But live sports are another matter. If there was a service that had good live sports coverage + disney content? Yeah, that'd be a tempting proposition. So I could certainly see this one making it big. It'd need to get at least two of the following sports/competitions for me to be interested though:

-NFL
-Champions League football
-PGA Tour
-International Rugby tests
-NBA

Right now ESPN has only Monday Night Football for NFL and some NBA games out of that list. Not enough, not even close. Cable is still easily the best way to get your sports fix. Fortunately it comes free with my strata payments in my place.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I see lots of "fuck off" comments in here... but ultimately believe many/most of those will be active subscribers for a month here and a month there after launch.

I mean virtually every home entertainment analyst has seen the writing on the wall for multiple independent streaming services forever now.

There are two things that make this tolerable to me. First and absolutely most important.. is an aggregation service. Apple was (I believe) first to market with one.. with Siri search and TV app on apple TV. Roku, Fire TV, etc HAVE to get an aggregation system integrated into their platforms.

Second, a combined subscription payment platform (again, apple has this). So if I find something from the aggregation feed that I like, it gives me the option to subscribe to the service if I don't already subscribe, AND to manage my subscriptions (and cancel from one interface).

So how I ultimately work it right now is the only subs I carry from month to month are Netflix and Hulu. Beyond that, I never have more than two extra subs. if I want to subscribe to HBO but I already have two other subs, I force myself to cancel one of those before I sub to HBO.

Over time it allows me to enjoy what most of the services have to offer.. and the fact that the TV app lets you add content to your queue (Up Next) that you don't subscribe to.. as a reminder/suggestion to eventually subscribe.

tl;dr - this is the way content is going to be in the future. Many decrying it will still subscribe. Better to, instead of complaining, figure out how to work within it so that you still get to enjoy the content over time without it costing you an arm and a leg from like 40 different streaming providers.

$50 a month for this. I'm calling it.

$15 is pretty much the top end. I can see Disney figuring the have the clout to try $20.. but I really don't think the market will sustain a $20 service from one provider.

Top Bottom