• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s Bob Iger shares new details on streaming services

I really hope the entire cable package stays around and every company doesn't opt to streaming. Never understood why everyone wanted to cut the cord so badly. Just more usernames and passwords to remember....

I thought people cut the cord to choose and pay for discrete services with the content they prefer a la carte, cancel and resub anytime, watch anywhere.

What you're going to see more and more is unless companies merge to make monopolies, you're never getting that one service. This isn't surprising. It was always a pipe dream at best, and people bought it because they wanted to believe cable was an archaic form. So now the future is paying more than you ever did for cable to get streaming services for each of the programs you actually want.

Everyone was always going to want their own piece of the pie. How quickly people jumped at it just exacerbated the speed at which it's happening.

It's gonna be the point where cord cutting will be obsolete and actually the most expensive option while they'll ripe you into cable because the tv/internet deals are far too good.

They know how to get us now

DOWN

Banned
Zero people want all these new individual distributor streaming services. CBS All Access, Filmstruck, Boomerang, Disney, etc

It is called the price of cutting out the middle man.

I get it. But with a young daughter, I just said F it. I got cable back a year ago and haven't looked back. No more checking sites to see who's streaming what and all that.

Netflix may get the chop too honestly.

M3d10n

Lets say you have a $20-$30 budget for streaming services.

Get Netflix on lock.
Subscribe 1 or 2 more services on rotation. Binge what you want to watch, cancel subscription. Come back later when they stock their fridges with new stuff or a new season of your fave show is streaming a new episode per week.

For me this is a immensely valuable model. In fact, I only fear we'll get deterrent factors in place to stop us from moving so freely.

That's my plan. Subscribe one month, watch everything I'm interested in, cancel, wait 6 months/one year until there's enough to binge again. Right now I'm planning to do exactly this with Amazon for Mr. Robot.

Futureman

Zero people want all these new individual distributor streaming services. CBS All Access, Filmstruck, Boomerang, Disney, etc

This Disney service is going to do well. Disney, Marvel, Star Wars, ESPN. It's going to be successful unless they price it at $20 month or something.

samn

It’s unreasonable to expect that you’ll get all your movie and tv entertainment in one 10 dollar a month sub. It wouldn’t be enough to support the industry for one thing.

trembli0s

I'm surprised people find this complicated, cumbersome and/or a chore to do. I simply come home from work, pop in the disc, run MakeMKV and it begins ripping in less time than it took me to type up this post. MakeMKV takes care of everything and you barely have to do anything to get it going. I usually go make dinner right after that and it's done and ready to go by the time I finish making it. There's so little effort and time involved and it's far superior to any streaming service out there.

Yeah, not sure what's so hard about it. It takes a little bit of time to get your server setup but after that it's smooth sailing.

cDNA

I really hope the entire cable package stays around and every company doesn't opt to streaming. Never understood why everyone wanted to cut the cord so badly. Just more usernames and passwords to remember....
No commercial and no time schedules.

Streaming was supposed to be the answer to piracy but as services start splitting from one another, making it more expensive to consume everything that you want to watch, people will just turn back towards piracy.

It's ironic now that certain pirate websites now have a larger selection of movies/tv shows all in one spot than any one streaming service does. So tell me why would a person pay for 5 different streaming services and have to have 5 different apps when they can just download a piracy app and have a single location with everything, for free?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Streaming was supposed to be the answer to piracy but as services start splitting from one another, making it more expensive to consume everything that you want to watch, people will just turn back towards piracy.

It's ironic now that certain pirate websites now have a larger selection of movies/tv shows all in one spot than any one streaming service does. So tell me why would a person pay for 5 different streaming services and have to have 5 different apps when they can just download a piracy app and have a single location with everything, for free?
I think people want to fundamentally do the right thing, so they might subscribe to a couple of things, say Amazon and Netflix, maybe HBO, but beyond that it's unlikely people will subscribe to more on a large scale.

Gonna need more streaming services before it’s more expensive to consume everything that you want to watch - HD cable TV for all the non-premium channels is like $70 a month.

trembli0s

Gonna need more streaming services before it’s more expensive to consume everything that you want to watch - HD cable TV for all the non-premium channels is like $70 a month.

The problem is that cable/broadband companies will simply raise rates on your internet to make up for the lost cable money.

For many folks it might be cheaper to bundle cable, phone, and high speed internet than it is to have high speed internet, Netflix, Vue, Hulu, and any other hypothetical streaming service.

I really want to see how the Disney content app comes to life.

- Does it include old Disney live action films?
- Are there arbitrary content limits (for example, movies in "the vault" that can't be accessed)?
- Does it include Disney Jr. & Disney Channel content?

If Disney is basically offering all of their historical family content (not including Touchstone or ESPN), I'd be willing to drop $20 a month for it. I have a two year old and another on the way. In two years, this would ABSOLUTELY be worth the cost.

If it's selected Disney content but it's only $10 a month, I'm probably down. It'll join Netflix and Hulu as my auto-subscribes.

Xe4

Banned
Seeing how my biggest problem with cabless was paying $80/month+ for God knows how may channels, of which I'd watch 5 tops, I have no problem paying for multiple streaming services. It's what I wanted from cable in the first place anyhow.

And yeah, streaming right now is a bubble, but if one company can ride it out, it's Disney. Will I pay for it? I dunno, maybe. That honestly depends on the pricing and content. I have no intrest in Marvel or Star Wars, but do love their animated stuff. I could see myself pitying up $10-15 a month if they include everything from their animated catalogue. It'd have to be everything though. Old stuff, new stuff, good stuff, bad stuff, TV stuff, etc. I ain't paying month on month for some rotating selection BS.

Sephzilla

"Eventually, that app may possibly become the only way you watch ESPN," Iger said.

The cable companies who try to include WatchESPN in their packages aren't exactly going to be thrilled about this

Kthulhu

Disney literally has the best catalogue of any single company.

They are the only company that can actually pull this off/

I'm betting they'll fuck it up somehow.

Only why I can see it working is if they have really good original stuff or it's cheaper then their competition.

Top Bottom