• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s Frozen [OT] – They Pulled Another Tangled!

Ideally, a sequel should only exist if there are still loose ends to be wrapped up in the story, this is not the case for Tangled. Neither does the setting really merit further exploration, beautiful as it is, Tangled is basically set in generic fantasyland. The one special element is Rapunzel's magical hair, which has been lost at the end of the film.

For movies such as The Incredibles, Cars, Wreck-it-Ralph, Rise of the Guardians etc, you could argue that the premise is unique enough that it would be worth doing a sequel to explore the world further, I don't see how what more can be done with the world of Tangled. The lore of the film serves the story well enough but is not nearly interesting enough to deserve further stories based on it.

None of this is a knock on Tangled's quality, just why I don't feel it especially doesn't need a follow-up.

No, Tangled doesn't need a sequel, given how it ended. However, I still feel like fans of the original film could enjoy a sequel if they made one. Rapunzel has no more power, so she's a no go. If they were to flesh out the world, it would be best if they did a prequel, I feel. I suppose they could do something like Flynn and Rapunzel have a kid and that kid has the magic powers of the flower or something, but I just can't shake the feeling that whatever they'd do it would at least be a worthy successor to the first.

BraXzy

Wow, you sat in the front row? Good to hear that was good though :)

The Olaf scene you loved was it
I don't have a skull...or bones!
we laughed really loud at the part. lol
and the puddle joke during the song.

YES! Exactly that part, the first bits made me laugh and then the song made me laugh hard and THEN the puddle joke made me cry laughing. So good. I want to see it again, not something that often happens for me with films.

EDIT: And the Big Summer Blowout scene set me off too, that winter range. Hoo-hoo!

cajunator

Banned
I just got back from a second viewing. This time a friend tagged along. He loved it but most surprosingly HE HAS NOT SEEN TANGLED. I feel this must be rectified soon.

BraXzy

I was listening to the Frozen soundtrack and really tried to give the Demi Lovato version a go but it's just awful compared to the original.

Hate that it's on the OST, luckily via the magic of Google Music I can remove it.

Yeah I'm listening to it atm.. There's no emotion or power to it, it's really lifeless. She's just singing words off a piece of paper, like reading them, besides the chorus where she sings louder. It's like an amateur cover you'd find on YouTube.

The actual performance really put emotion into the words and the things that were sang about.

YES! Exactly that part, the first bits made me laugh and then the song made me laugh hard and THEN the puddle joke made me cry laughing. So good. I want to see it again, not something that often happens for me with films.

EDIT: And the Big Summer Blowout scene set me off too, that winter range. Hoo-hoo!

The way it zooms up on Olaf's face during that joke is amazing. He's just so god damn adorable when his mouth moves :D

Glad you enjoyed it so much :)

I ordered this for my Niece for Christmas morning! it's so perfect!

kazebyaka

Banned
Saw the movie. I loved it. Anna is awesome and i really liked Elsa. Songs were great, except maybe troll song. Loved the style and graphics and everything. If Tangled is 10/10, this one is 9.5. Christoph could use a better place in story, but i still liked him. The movie can use one more song at the very end, though.

Its happening.gif :D

mobile.26wjftk.jpg

Koomaster

Saw it last night; wonderful movie. :D

My question which I don't know if it's been addressed in this thread:
So Hans turned out to be a bad guy in the end which was out of no where for me. But when he was leading that group of men to Elsa's palace he stopped Elsa from killing that one guy by talking her down. Why do that if he wanted to vilify her anyway? What better reason to have her killed than have everyone witness her murdering someone else? He had no idea what happened to Anna or that her sister did anything to her that he could blame her.

Him saving Elsa like that just made him being a bad guy even more weird for me. What was the motivation there?
Still love the movie and really all that is fine by me, but it did puzzle me and I'm still thinking about that.

Saw it last night; wonderful movie. :D

My question which I don't know if it's been addressed in this thread:
So Hans turned out to be a bad guy in the end which was out of no where for me. But when he was leading that group of men to Elsa's palace he stopped Elsa from killing that one guy by talking her down. Why do that if he wanted to vilify her anyway? What better reason to have her killed than have everyone witness her murdering someone else? He had no idea what happened to Anna or that her sister did anything to her that he could blame her.

Him saving Elsa like that just made him being a bad guy even more weird for me. What was the motivation there?
Still love the movie and really all that is fine by me, but it did puzzle me and I'm still thinking about that.

Until he had her in chains and was able to talk to her face to face, he didn't know that she couldn't stop the winter. He thought he needed her alive to undo the mess.

MartyStu

I liked it well enough, but I think I loved Tangled much more.

The story had some very glaring pacing issues, and some of its plot points we pretty weak (the entire frozen heart/head thing thing).

The music was okay. "Do you want to build a snowman" was the best one I think (or at least it would be if it had been longer). Let it go was not nearly as impressive as many make it out to be, but a pretty good number.

I DID like some of its more subversive elements and very much enjoy seeing Disney continuing in this direction.

Does anyone know
why Kristoff stayed back and apparently wasn't allowed passed the gates towards the end? Is it the whole "peasant/non-royal/uninvited people not allowed in here" thing, or did he just back off passed his 'obligation'?

OMG WACHTING CREDITS NOW GUYS AND GRILS !!!!!!!

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

More soon

When not on phone

PUT YER PHONE AWAY lol

MartyStu

Does anyone know
why Kristoff stayed back and apparently wasn't allowed passed the gates towards the end? Is it the whole "peasant/non-royal/uninvited people not allowed in here" thing, or did he just back off passed his 'obligation'?

PUT YER PHONE AWAY lol

He was trying not to be a homewrecker.
Good guy Kristoff.

cajunator

Banned
I just rewatched Tangled. Definitely think its a better movie by nature of being a more traditional fairy tale and much easier to turn on the charm, but Frozen belongs up there with it I think. I really love both movies and I think Disney has finally rekindled some of their magic that has been sorely needed. I think both movies will stand the test of time.

marrec

Banned
Yeah I'm listening to it atm.. There's no emotion or power to it, it's really lifeless. She's just singing words off a piece of paper, like reading them, besides the chorus where she sings louder. It's like an amateur cover you'd find on YouTube.

The actual performance really put emotion into the words and the things that were sang about.

I was listening to the French version of 'Let it Go' (thanks for getting THAT stuck in my head now GAF) and saw this on the side in suggested videos:

NDelCja.jpg

And busted up laughing at the face she's making.

Only have about 2 min need to get to bed work again in 7 hours will do a full write up think on Sunday.

PUT YER PHONE AWAY lol
We where the on ones left in the theater no one here stays for the credits.
Do they dub the movies over there in Holland? Or is it subtitled?
English with dutch subtitles with I do not need but are fine anyway.
Also subtitles where in yellow FINALLY they thought ahead because of all the white other wise you could not have seen them.

But for now Tricky | Shadow HOLD ME MAN it was FUCKING AMAZING !!!! :D:D:D:D:D

And I'm man enough to say it cried 4 times during the movie first one after about 5 min :p.

I gotta say First time in forever is quickly growing on me as well. Its a beautiful song.

I know!!!

I was kinda meh after my first watch, then picked up the soundtracked, really liked it, and upon my second watch LOVED it.

Where she poses to the styles of the paintings is so cool!

kazebyaka

Banned
After rewatching/relistening to Let it Go multiple times i must say that it may be the greatest song ever in disney history. Not sure about movie itself, i need to rewatch it too.

There's something most of us agree, and that's the songs in Frozen tend to grow on you even more over time. A trait also shared with many of Disney's cherished songs. :D

i finally rewatched Tangled, so here comes the comparison:

•Firstly, I think Tangled is the better fairytale. It's a classic Disney film fit for the modern era. Frozen is a bit unconventional, but in a good way. I really enjoy them both, but Frozen's deviation from the aforementioned formula is why I like it just a bit more
•Frozen has better songs, but Mother Knows Best and I See the Light are classic stuff. Let it Go from Frozen is my favorite of the bunch.
•Maximus has so much personality it's ridiculous. It'll be hard for a sidekick to surpass him.
•The market dance and snuggly duckling scenes are such obvious throwbacks to Beauty and the Beast. I think Frozen could have used a bit of a throwback to older films like that.
•The oil on canvas look is the best part for me. Every shot is visual eye-candy. The ice and snow effects from Frozen are characters of their own though, which gives it a bit more life than the (already lively) backgrounds in Tangled.
•Tangled has slightly better character animation (though Anna and Elsa in Frozen were better animated in general). Frozen has better cinematography though.
•I think Frozen's OST (not counting songs) is much better, especially the melody from "Sorcery" that appears throughout other pieces. Tangled's OST is forgettable (again, not counting the songs).
•Tangled is funnier; Frozen is 'cuter'.
•Frozen is more rewatchable for me.

Agreeing with another comment, both films represent a return to form for Disney and I hope they continue. WDAS has made more enjoyable films than Pixar in recent years, and it doesn't look like Pixar will be back on its hot streak for a while. Keep them coming!

I'll have to disagree with posts I've seen around the internet about Disney going back to 2D animation. When CGI is done well like these two films using the painted-feeling, it's so much more visually impressive and inspiring to look at. There are also subtle emotions and shots that you just can't get close enough to with 2D.

cajunator

Banned
i finally rewatched Tangled, so here comes the comparison:

-Firstly, I think Tangled is the better fairytale. It's a classic Disney film fit for the modern era. Frozen is a bit unconventional, but in a good way. I really enjoy them both, but Frozen's deviation from the aforementioned formula is why I like it just a bit more
-Frozen has better songs, but Mother Knows Best and I See the Light are classic stuff. Let it Go from Frozen is my favorite of the bunch.
-Maximus has so much personality it's ridiculous. It'll be hard for a sidekick to surpass him.
-The oil on canvas look is the best part for me. Every shot is visual eye-candy. The ice and snow effects from Frozen are characters of their own though, which gives it a bit more life than the (already lively) backgrounds in Tangled.
-I think Frozen's OST (not counting songs) is much better, especially the melody from "Sorcery" that appears throughout other pieces.
-Tangled is funnier; Frozen is 'cuter'.
-Frozen is more rewatchable and slightly more enjoyable for me.

Agreeing with another comment, both films represent a return to form for Disney and I hope they continue. WDAS has made more enjoyable films than Pixar in recent years, and it doesn't look like Pixar will be back on its hot streak for a while. Keep them coming!

I'll have to disagree with posts I've seen around the internet about Disney going back to 2D animation. When CGI is done well like these two films using the painted-feeling, it's so much more visually impressive and inspiring to look at. There are also subtle emotions and shots that you just can't get close enough to with 2D.

I think it speaks to the strength of BOTH films that they can be compared favorably to each other. Disney is 2 for 2 with these movies and I cant wait to add Frozen to my collection and rewatch this movie another dozen times like I did with Tangled.
I do agree Tangled is a more classic disney fairy tale while Frozen tries something different and more unique and does both of them masterfully. There is still a ton of talent in that studio and I honestly dont think theyve lost anything moving to CG. The heart and soul of Disney is still very much alive. thats all I could ask for if they were going to move away from 2D. I will always have that nostalgic view of the warm and magical hand drawn animation, but this era of CG doesnt feel as cold (excuse the pun) as I was afraid it would.

kazebyaka

Banned
After rewatching Tangled yesterday i noticed that while Tangled feels like a fairytale cartoon, then Frozen feels more like a serious dramatic movie. They even used a unique camera lens look (cinemascope or something, like in 1950's) for Frozen, so maybe that's why. This way both movies feel unique, while still sharing similarities in style.
Tangled is indeed funnier and more light-hearted, while Frozen has a bit more realistic, theatric look to it. The more i see it, the more i love it. I need to rewatch Frozen asap.
Let it Go still makes me tear up a bit everytime.

cajunator

Banned
After rewatching Tangled yesterday i noticed that while Tangled feels like a fairytale cartoon, then Frozen feels more like a serious dramatic movie. They even used a unique camera lens look (cinemascope or something, like in 1950's) for Frozen, so maybe that's why. This way both movies feel unique, while still sharing similarities in style.
Tangled is indeed funnier and more light-hearted, while Frozen has a bit more realistic, theatric look to it. The more i see it, the more i love it. I need to rewatch Frozen asap.
Let it Go still makes me tear up a bit everytime.

You summed it up well. Frozen is a move back to a more dramatic story instead of slapstick. It dealt with some really dark events, and didnt cheese it up. The Broadway stars really brought these characters to life in a way that even Tangled couldnt quite reach. It was so bombastic, yet the professionals kept it in line with such mastery. It felt like a really quality Broadway musical in that aspect and just blew me away.

Top Bottom