• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s Frozen [OT] – They Pulled Another Tangled!

AkuMifune

Banned
I liked it, but think Tangled is a much better movie overall. The soundtrack is probably the best part, though I also leans towards Tangled's. For some reason all of the plot holes in Frozen bothered me more;
how Kristof just sort of started living with the trolls out of nowhere when it isn't even established he's lost or orphaned, how underused the trolls are in general, where Elsa got her powers, how the parents die out of the blue, the morale of her parents making her hide her powers was never developed and driven home, Olaf just appears, the bad guy turned too conveniently, it goes on.

Here's my cut:
To make this a better film I think they should have cut Hans, made the older sister go off when she was young, and the winter gets worse each year. When Anna is old enough she goes off to find her lost sister and end winter, but if she can't save her older sister (in this version the older sisters heart would be slowly turning to ice and if it does the whole village will be frozen forever). Thus the relationship between them is elevated, we lose the dumb plot of the first boyfriend and we create some real tension around stopping winter and saving the sisters cold heart.

Feels like they took a 3 hour epic teen film and cut half of it with 4 year-olds in mind.

Which, yeah, is probably right.

Banzai

I liked it. While it didn't pull me in like the classics do (I'm not sure anything ever will), it had fun characters, a good story and amazing animation. As for the songs...

Probably don't even need to comment on "Let it go". Wow.
"Do you want to build a snowman" is great, heartbreaking and adorable at the same time.
"For the first time in forever" is pretty good.
The others were kind of ehhh.

I'm not a big fan of Olaf. He had a few funny lines here and there, but was really unneeded as a character.
And Elsa's "Of course! Love!" at the end made me cringe a little bit.

All in all, good disney movie. Not in my Top 5. Maybe Top 10. Maybe.

I liked it, but think Tangled is a much better movie overall. The soundtrack is probably the best part, though I also leans towards Tangled's. For some reason all of the plot holes in Frozen bothered me more;
how Kristof just sort of started living with the trolls out of nowhere when it isn't even established he's lost or orphaned, how underused the trolls are in general, where Elsa got her powers, how the parents die out of the blue, the morale of her parents making her hide her powers was never developed and driven home, Olaf just appears, the bad guy turned too conveniently, it goes on.

Here's my cut:
To make this a better film I think they should have cut Hans, made the older sister go off when she was young, and the winter gets worse each year. When Anna is old enough she goes off to find her lost sister and end winter, but if she can't save her older sister (in this version the older sisters heart would be slowly turning to ice and if it does the whole village will be frozen forever). Thus the relationship between them is elevated, we lose the dumb plot of the first boyfriend and we create some real tension around stopping winter and saving the sisters cold heart.

Feels like they took a 3 hour epic teen film and cut half of it with 4 year-olds in mind.

Which, yeah, is probably right.

Agree on most points.

OceanBlue

I saw the movie yesterday and I enjoyed it. I actually enjoyed "For the First Time in Forever" more than "Let It Go". I wished the movie ended with a song, since it felt strange having the first half stuffed with songs only for them to disappear with the ending. I don't know too much about music, but as I was watching I started expecting them to make a musical motif out of "For the First Time in Forever", where the two sisters would sing slightly out of harmony until the end.

kazebyaka

Banned
Time to up this thread with some fun trivia:

Towards the end of the credits, it says that all the views in the film don't necessarily reflect the views of Walt Disney Company, specifically Kristoff's observation that all men pick and eat their boogers.

Alongside all of the actors, designers, and animators, there was a credited "caffeinator."

Early costume designs placed the story in the late 1700s. For a more classical fairy-tale look, it was decided to place the narrative in the 1840s. Disney created 245 clothing rigs for this movie.

The research in Norway also proved helpful in creating the costumes in Norway. The production team took into consideration the fact that if these characters would wear satin and free flowy material like Rapunzel did in Tangled, they would freeze to death. So they designed costumes that would based on heavier material like wool and velvet. Normally that would mean that these dresses are more structured in a certain way that doesn’t allow for secondary twirly movements. However, by pleating them, it does allow the characters to be more playful.

frozen_feet_by_dear_chemistry-d6y736h.jpg

do_you_want_to_build_a_snowman__by_dear_chemistry-d6y8vgr.jpg

Greenzxy

Seriously the art design in this movie is so beautifully done. It's almost if it's brainwashing me somewhat. That's Disney for you though.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
This movie was straight up terrible. Tangled wasn't the greatest but is a masterpiece compared to this pile.

Pacing is horribly rushed and stilted, songs were forgettable save one and they all felt contrived, the story telling was all fucking over the place, comedic bits were forced slapstick schlock, and the characters had no fucking affability and charm.

What a steaming pile... Those two directors should go back to school and take remedial directing courses before being allowed to direct anything.

image.php

I saw the movie yesterday and I enjoyed it. I actually enjoyed "For the First Time in Forever" more than "Let It Go". I wished the movie ended with a song, since it felt strange having the first half stuffed with songs only for them to disappear with the ending. I don't know too much about music, but as I was watching I started expecting them to make a musical motif out of "For the First Time in Forever", where the two sisters would sing slightly out of harmony until the end.

Yeah! I LOVE For the First Time in Forever :D

We all seemed to agree the ending needed one more song, or additional reprise. Would have been perfect at the end there.

kazebyaka

Banned
Saw the movie second time yesterday. Aside from bad audio quality in the theatre, i really loved it. Songs are full of stuff that makes me shed tears of joy and overall i fucking love this movie. Sure, it's not perfect and can use some tweaking here and there, but it's still amazing.

Reule

Saw this yesterday with my girlfriend and I absolutely loved it. I thought the songs were actually pretty awesome in this one, enough to sort of want to buy the soundtrack. The pacing did feel a bit off but I still think it was fantastic.

Just got back from 2nd viewing and I only cried 2 times this time :p

MAN the music ow god sooooo goood still.

Tricky when are you back man :( want to talk !

Anyone know when his ban is lifted?

Hamlet

Finally got to see this today absolutely adored the film
The songs were fantastic (especially liked both versions of For the First Time in Forever)
Loved the relationship between Anna and Elsa
oh yeah the mickey short before it was great as well

zroid

Banned
Going to Disney World next week and I'm tempted to see this again at the cinema over there (this time, with the fam). Been a very long while since I've watched a film in theatres more than once, but the timing works and it feels right. :)

Assuming we have time, of course.

Going to Disney World next week and I'm tempted to see this again at the cinema over there (this time, with the fam). Been a very long while since I've watched a film in theatres more than once, but the timing works and it feels right. :)

Assuming we have time, of course.

I love that Cinema! 24 screens when I was last there. Last movie I saw there was Enchanted. lol. You definitely should see it there if you have time!

Oh, and you should definitely meet Elsa and Anna in Norway at Epcot! :D

qindarka

Banned
Just watched it a little earlier than expected. Was planning to watch Cloudy 2 but upon entering the cinema, discovered an early screening was available.

Not nearly as good as Tangled but still a lot of fun.

Alastor

I just got back from the cinema. Movie was magical.

Seriously, something just came together. I was wondering what to do this evening, it was my first day off in a ten days or so. Since I haven't got any plans I just went for a walk, with buying a book in mind. But I walked by a Frozen poster, and remembered there was a lot of good impressions of this on GAF. Went to a cinema instead.

First, I don't remember ever paying THAT much for a ticket, but I haven't been in a cinema in ages, and it was friday evening after all. So I just went for it.

Second, there was NO ONE else. I was the only person in that showing, and it was GLORIOUS. I sat in a center, laughed out loud a bunch of times, and the complete silence around was more than worth the higher ticket price.

Anyway, I shed a tear at the end of "Do you wanna build a snowman" and waited for a post-credit scene with a cinema worker staring at me.

And when I went outside, I shit you not, it just started snowing. Beatifully.

I don't know, I guess sometimes life's not all that terrible.

Thanks, Disney.

zroid

Banned
I love that Cinema! 24 screens when I was last there. Last movie I saw there was Enchanted. lol. You definitely should see it there if you have time!

Oh, and you should definitely meet Elsa and Anna in Norway at Epcot! :D

Ha, yeah I've been there once before, some years ago. Think I saw Hero (the Jet Li movie). Was pretty nice.

And Norway's definitely my first stop at Epcot now! It's such a nice feeling when something just dramatically exceeds your expectations; it happens so rarely these days. I truly loved this movie.

Watched the film a second time, and I really enjoyed it, but I feel it falls short of a classic.

There was something off about the pacing for me. Especially pre-Let it Go. The speed at which it progressed left me not really caring about the characters.

The ending was much better.

sca2511

Watched it today. I absolutely loved it. The songs, the characters, and the story. It was just magical. Even thinking about grabbing the vinyl pre-order from their store.

Just saw this. It's so freaking nice to see a Disney movie with musical numbers again like the older 2D animated films. I also love how it subverted a lot of the fairy tale princess tropes.

Oh and the snowman character should have easily been annoying, but somehow he ended up being awesome and hilarious. It's amazing that they managed to make a movie fun for both kids and adults without having to rely on innuendos or double entendres.

qindarka

Banned
Just saw this. It's so freaking nice to see a Disney movie with musical numbers again like the older 2D animated films. I also love how it subverted a lot of the fairy tale princess tropes.

Tangled had musical numbers as well. Might be a good idea to check that one out if you haven't already.

It's amazing that they managed to make a movie fun for both kids and adults without having to rely on innuendos or double entendres.

I thought there were a few of those in there. Perhaps they weren't quite so obvious though.

Vibri

Banned
For the first time in Forever feels like classic renaissance Disney, in the vein of Part of your World and Belle / Little Town (though not quite at those heights). Also really enjoyed Fixer Upper, which is kind of the Be Our Guest track.

Is the movie really good like tangled? Everytime I go by the movie theater I see the poster and it looks so bad. With that dreamwork smirk on the 4 main characters =/

qindarka

Banned
Is the movie really good like tangled? Everytime I go by the movie theater I see the poster and it looks so bad. With that dreamwork smirk on the 4 main characters =/

It's not as good as Tangled but its failures are nothing to do with anything shown in the marketing.

UberTag

Caught Frozen for the first time earlier tonight.

Giving it a solid 8 out of 10 on the strength of its exceptional soundtrack & stunning art design but I agree with the other complaints that the pacing issues for the first half of the film were really problematic. It felt like there was a lot of scenes edited out that would have provided some much-needed balance from the musical numbers and provided a more stable foundation for Elsa's motivations, in particular. Given the commentary on the soundtrack about songs that were originally planned and omitted it definitely seems like there was a lot of stuff excised that showed Anna and Elsa's relationship as kids before the initial snow accident forced Elsa into seclusion.

They just nixed everything that wasn't considered padding to check all of the necessary plot & song boxes until Anna met Kristoff at Wandering Oaken's Trading Post ("Oooh... and sauna!"). Thankfully, the pacing issues more or less went away after this and my only real grievance from that point on is that the trolls felt like kind of a waste.

Easily the best soundtrack since the modern golden age of Disney animation so that helps a ton... even if Tangled is still the better film overall.

And I can't believe I was actually swerved by the
Hans heel turn. I genuinely didn't see it coming even though it should have been obvious with the absence of a true antagonist up until that point. Not that he was developed much before or after. I was clearly blinded by the adorkable Love is an Open Door duet and the movie's marketing. It certainly didn't help that Hans completely oversold his good guy routine until that pivotal scene.

Replicant

I just saw it and I love it. I like Tangled a bit better but this is also pretty good. I think my only problem is how
Hans became a villain out of nowhere. Although on a hindsight, a guy who proposed marriage all of a sudden should have been a suspect

But I love everything else, Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, Olaf, and Sven. Olaf is a lot funnier than I actually thought he'd be. Was very amused by his song, "In Summer". But the song that I really like is "For The First Time in Forever".

Love the twist of the film. I thought it was overdue that for once
a definition of true love is being challenged like that

It was pretty good, I knew it was going to have songs but this was a straight musical. So it caught me by surprised.

Also I like how it had fantasy elements and didn't bother to set up rules and shit for it. It's magic just deal with it.

Pachinko

Shogmaster is just trolling right ? yeah that has to be it. Either that or he watched something else maybe ?

I'll probably be picking up the super duper ultimate 3D bluray version of this whenever it makes it out (april ? ). As I said before, I prefer tangled but there is still a fair bit to like here. I've had the "do you want to build a snowman" song stuck in my head since last week when I saw it.

Blu-ray artwork
VaP6lQA.jpg
Day whenever it is possible for me to have this shipped to me ASAP and correcting my error of getting Tangled along with this. <3 I was surprised when some of the theaters here showed Frozen again after removing them last week, must resist watching it for the 3rd time. *_*

Saw this with my two daughters without knowing much, so it was really cool that it was a story about sisters. Plus, my oldest has whitish blonde hair and my youngest has auburn hair, so they were all in. We all enjoyed it, although my youngest insisted we had seen it before.

Lego Movie preview looked pretty good too

Saw this with my two daughters without knowing much, so it was really cool that it was a story about sisters. Plus, my oldest has whitish blonde hair and my youngest has auburn hair, so they were all in. We all enjoyed it, although my youngest insisted we had seen it before.

Lego Movie preview looked pretty good too

You have a little Elsa and Anna, how cool!

How did you like Olaf?

Yep, Lego movie looks rad.

While the movie didn't blew my mind, it did was the first thing in my head today. This rarely happens, I kind of want to see the movie again.

Also I went to check the fan art, which led me to see Tangled fan art and boy...there's a lot of Gay fanart involving Flint and those two brothers. Don't let your daughters google any Tangled related things.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I saw this the other day not knowing what to expect, and I really think this ranks in my top 5 favorite Disney movies.

Great music, great storyline with writing that doesn't take he most expected route, and funny side characters. A real surprise for me.

Empty

saw this finally tonight.

very good. great feel good family film. loved the characters, songs and visuals. i had a few issues with choices they made to speed things along in the final act but felt that the core message was really good (and clearly trying to make up for the regressive nature of many old disney stories). not sure which i prefer of this and tangled.

let it go was just fabulous.

Top Bottom