• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s Frozen [OT] – They Pulled Another Tangled!

kazebyaka

Banned
Elsa being awesome on the cover of Variety
a2zFUs0.jpg

It was Blu-Ray. The only movies I've seen more than once in theaters are Finding Nemo and You Don't Mess with the Zohan. In the case of the latter, I saw it 7 times because my friends and I would go during the night (for free) and laugh and joke around the whole time.

cajunator

Banned
What? I'm always surprised when I see people mention seeing movies so many times.

There are several movies that I have watched from 10-20 times, and in some cases even more than that. Some movies just stick with me and I watch them over and over again for the way they make me feel.

There are some characters or worlds that I don't want to leave after just 2 hours. Thankfully, some of them will spawn good games or TV series!

injurai

Banned
Oh i thought you meant the theatre. there was a neogaf thread this year where people claimed they saw the same movie in the theatre 10-20 times. Craziness i tell ya!!

One issue I had with this movie is none of the songs/instruments fit the theme/setting (other than Frozen Heart). It would have been nice to hear the music reflect the setting and world a bit more IMO.

But I really loved this movie.

number11

Loved the film.. But I was pretty disappointed with the soundtrack. It started off great, then 30 minutes into the film had already reached its peak with Let it Go (which I felt should have had more build up). After that, none of the songs were at the same standard as the first few.

Loved the film.. But I was pretty disappointed with the soundtrack. It started off great, then 30 minutes into the film had already reached its peak with Let it Go (which I felt should have had more build up). After that, none of the songs were at the same standard as the first few.

You can't go much higher than a mountain though, lol

But yea the troll song and olaf's song didn't come close to the first few.

I think what held Let it Go back was the percussion/contemporary sound. The beginning was really good and the bridge even, but it was still edging towards pop afterwards. With a bit more orchestration and maybe even modulating up a key, it'd have kept the emotion it started out with. I still really enjoyed it, and I might mess around with the key a bit myself to see how it'd sound.

cajunator

Banned

I think what held Let it Go back was the percussion/contemporary sound. The beginning was really good and the bridge even, but it was still edging towards pop afterwards. With a bit more orchestration and maybe even modulating up a key, it'd have kept the emotion it started out with. I still really enjoyed it, and I might mess around with the key a bit myself to see how it'd sound.

I actually liked that the music didnt overpower Elsa's voice. It was supposed to be sung in solitude and a more grandiose sound would have seemed more forced.

kazebyaka

Banned
Am i crazy or when Elsa is in the mountains everything around her is so clear, quiet and serene and when Anna is there then there's cold, harsh weather and wind everywhere?

I actually liked that the music didnt overpower Elsa's voice. It was supposed to be sung in solitude and a more grandiose sound would have seemed more forced.

Not necessarily grandiose, but a bit more in line with the last movement. The first 90 seconds capture that solitude and sadness perfectly. The second verse fits in with her perkiness and freedom to use her powers, and the bridge matches the castle building very well. The music loses momentum afterwards though, taking a backseat to her voice. It's not a bad way to compose, but unlike the other movements and verses, it doesn't match what's happening on screen.

I still love it, but the musician in me is wishing it was a bit more soundtrack and less single, if that makes sense.

cajunator

Banned
Not necessarily grandiose, but a bit more in line with the last movement. The first 90 seconds capture that solitude and sadness perfectly. The second verse fits in with her perkiness and freedom to use her powers, and the bridge matches the castle building very well. The music loses momentum afterwards though, taking a backseat to her voice. It's not a bad way to compose, but unlike the other movements and verses, it doesn't match what's happening on screen.

I still love it, but the musician in me is wishing it was a bit more soundtrack and less single, if that makes sense.

Makes sense, but I really like it the way it is.

Alx

I watched it yesterday. Quite good, but definitely not as good as Tangled. I liked the story a lot, most songs were forgettable except for "Let it go" of course, and for the characters I only really liked Sven and
the trolls
. Everybody else was ok-ish.

MartyStu

One of the best things about Tangled and Frozen is how they put serious effort in addressing non-romantic relationships.

I really hope this is a trilogy and we get something else in this vein.

cajunator

Banned
I watched it yesterday. Quite good, but definitely not as good as Tangled. I liked the story a lot, most songs were forgettable except for "Let it go" of course, and for the characters I only really liked Sven and
the trolls
. Everybody else was ok-ish.

I think whether someone enjoys this or Tangled more has to do with their appreciation for traditional disney Princess movie vs this subversive movie that took some risks.

Xun

Honestly I think it will deliver for you.
Its not without its flaws but god theres some really really REALLY charming and memorable moments.
I finally saw it, and I definitely did enjoy it! I think I prefer Tangled a bit, but I'll have to watch both again.

MartyStu

I think whether someone enjoys this or Tangled more has to do with their appreciation for traditional disney Princess movie vs this subversive movie that took some risks.

No. I think you assume too much here. These movies are different enough in other ways that liking one or the other cannot simply be reduced to this.

And these 'risks' are vastly overstated. This movie is coated with enough of the Disney Princess Veneer(TM) that very little in the way of risk taken.

The Princess and The Frog took many more risks (not that I am by any means comparing that movie to these; these are much, much better.).

TEJ

I just saw it today.

It was fabulous. I think out of wreck it ralph, tangled, and bolt I liked this one the most.

anaron

Oh you worded exactly how I feel about the progression. I'd love to hear your reworked version.

Trey

The parents were stupid.

Olaf was the man.

Sven and Good Guy Kristoff were good.

Sisters were cute.

Hans swerve was stupid.

Just listened to this track myself and I really think it's something special.
Linking both the main track and the reprise so people here can check it out.
I'm glad they dropped the whole prophecy aspect of the story line since its also one of the things they bring up in Life is too short, although I'm a bit disappointed they couldn't work out a song for Elsa
when she was imprisoned because the reprise of Life is too short is pretty good and it brings dem feels just like the end of Do you want to build a snowman. :(

Pachinko

This was actually pretty good, just got home from the theater. Glad I saw it there actually, much like Tangled it was of course very predictable but these are films meant primarily for children right ? Disney feature animation has been arguably better than Pixar for the last couple years - Tangled, Wreck it Ralph and now Frozen were all better then Monsters U, Brave and ... Cars 2. They had to have a come back at some point right ?

Now Disney just needs to hurry up and release Aladdin on bluray already.

Prax

I need to own every disney princess thing on blu-ray. Blargh.
I don't watch movies in theatres twice for the most part, so now i just want Frozen to come out on dvd already. lol

I still feel slightly disappointed with the overall animation and environment of Frozen (not to mention blehness of the characters sometimes--just overall felt "cheaper" or lacked a true visual style of its own), but I'm wondering if I just missed stuff and a rewatch would really help.

kazebyaka

Banned
Pretty cool stuff. In some scenes you can hear sounds of an authentic Norwegian goat-horns, according to this

Also, movie makers first intended to include explanation to Elsa's powers, but later dropped the idea. It had something to do with prophecy and cosmic formations.

And here's some cute cosplay and a fanart for all your Elsa's needs.
frozen___snow_tear_by_illuscarymono-d6y0f6d.jpg

frozen_fractals_by_dear_chemistry-d6xznv6.jpg

zeemumu

I just saw this movie. I have to say it was pretty well done. "Let It Go" reminded me a lot of "Defying Gravity" both because of the person singing it and the content of the song itself.

Having said that, there is one thing I don't understand:
Why didn't Hans let that crossbow guy shoot Elsa? His whole evil plan was to marry Anna and get Elsa to "accidentally" die to take the throne. If the crossbow guy had shot her, he wouldn't have had to come up with a plan to kill her. He could have just charged Weaselton guy with treason and that whole part of his plan is done.

I just saw this movie. I have to say it was pretty well done. "Let It Go" reminded me a lot of "Defying Gravity" both because of the person singing it and the content of the song itself.

Why didn't Hans let that crossbow guy shoot Elsa? His whole evil plan was to marry Anna and get Elsa to "accidentally" die to take the throne. If the crossbow guy had shot her, he wouldn't have had to come up with a plan to kill her. He could have just charged Weaselton guy with treason and that whole part of his plan is done.
He'd probably run the risk of Anna thinking he was responsible for Elsa's death, or Anna would change her mind in grief.

zroid

Banned
Don't post in movie OTs often (or ever), but I just wanted to say I absolutely loved Frozen. It's my favourite animated film since Toy Story 3. The only things I wasn't that fond of were the songs. They weren't bad, just, for the most part, didn't stack up to the classics. Tangled had better songs too, overall.

Everything else -- oh my god :3

I'm also seriously tempted to buy the Disney Infinity figures. Don't have DI or care to ever play it, either.

Timbuktu

He thought he needed Elsa alive to end the winter, he needed that to be the hero, to find anna and marry her and have the kingdom accept him as possible king. He was planning for Elsa to get into an "accident" some time after he marries Anna to avoid suspicion. He only realises when he had her in chains that she can't stop the winter and then the only solution for him is to kill her and maybe the spell will stop.

Don't post in movie OTs often (or ever), but I just wanted to say I absolutely loved Frozen. It's my favourite animated film since Toy Story 3. The only things I wasn't that fond of were the songs. They weren't bad, just, for the most part, didn't stack up to the classics. Tangled had better songs too, overall.

Everything else -- oh my god :3

I'm also seriously tempted to buy the Disney Infinity figures. Don't have DI or care to ever play it, either.

Yup, I bought two! One Elsa and Anna for my collection to stay sealed, another for my 4 year old Niece who loved the movie! Elsa is her slight favorite, but I can't blame her. Both are awesome :)

I saw this today and I have to say that I loved it.

Tangled was more fun, though and "Let it go" didn't really do anything for me.

I liked "Do you want to build a snowman?" more than that song.

Toa TAK

Banned
Just saw this. Liked it a lot, "Let It Go" was the best. It came on just as I was thinking Man, another song?

Christophe Beck's score was great, too. Immediately hooked the moment I heard the music with the Disney logo coming on.

The sisters are fun characters, too. I didn't mind the Snowman either, my audience loved him.

If there really is a whole "Tangled vs Frozen" war going on here, I'll tip my hat to Frozen. Didn't care too much for the songs (nor in Tangled, either), but I dug the overall movie.

Solid film.

Ikael

Saw it the other day, some thoughts:

- Music-wise, this movie wasn't that special. I appreciate what they were trying to do, and the world surely needs more Broadway type of musical movies, but they felt short at it, with most of the songs and musical numbers being kinda formulaic

- But of course, there were exceptions that reminded me of the Disney of old: The first song and of course, "Let it go". They were able to capture the magic, but two songs don't make a movie

- I really liked how they hanlded the villain. Yes, you don't see it coming, but that's kind of the point: it was unexpected, but it made damn sense and subverted a quite toxic Hollywood trope

- Elsa and Anna were just adorable characters and I think that their relationship was fleshed out well enough. Waifu material all around :p

- The cinematography was breathaking. The color palette was extreemely well-employed and the ice castle visuals were freaking awesome. There's a sense of grandeur in this movie that was missing from previous Disney movies

- The songs were kinda clusstered around the first half of the movie, with little to none towards the end. This broke the movie's pace in a bigger way than I expected

In short, I enjoyed the movie quite a lot and little by little, one can say that Disney is almost -almost- reaching its glory days of old. But I still think that Tangled was the better film :p

kazebyaka

Banned
Me again, upping this thread for no good reason. Will watch movie second time in few days.

Here's Let It Go in different languages

Let It Go sequence in HD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk

English
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DQYdcUB0eg

World of Color Orchestration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G31wNCwskI

German
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nBWD8fmdA4

Dutch (interesting to note this is the same vocalist as the German version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIaHuneraH8

Spanish (different orchestration than the OST)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4tGddRblok

French
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jIlXJME83U

Polish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF3t-CQwlPQ

Also some cute art
silentium_by_spotty_servine-d6xzytu.png

This movie was straight up terrible. Tangled wasn't the greatest but is a masterpiece compared to this pile.

Pacing is horribly rushed and stilted, songs were forgettable save one and they all felt contrived, the story telling was all fucking over the place, comedic bits were forced slapstick schlock, and the characters had no fucking affability and charm.

What a steaming pile... Those two directors should go back to school and take remedial directing courses before being allowed to direct anything.

its at 89%... if my calculations are correct its gonna need about 12 more positive reviews in order to get a 90% rating, assuming there's no more rotten ones

Top Bottom