• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s Frozen [OT] – They Pulled Another Tangled!

zroid

Banned
All my Frozen junk

j19oXeh2T2qw3.jpg

I very rarely purchase blu-rays on day 1, and I don't usually buy any tie-in merchandise, so this is kinda unique for me. Getting one Pokémon plushie per generation is about the extent of it, usually.

Something about Frozen just really made me want to get stuff. I am still tempted by that Art of Frozen book but I will probably pass on that unless there's a deal of some sort.

Was able to order the Disney Store Elsa dress for my Niece! One for now at age 4, and then another for the 5/6 size for our upcoming trips to Disney World.

Was totally worth being up at 3:45 on the morning for!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just had to say...We've seen Frozen like, 5 times? Bought the Blu-ray yesterday and was SUPER disappointed with the extras. Have Disney Blu-ray's always been this shitty for extras???

Gameboy415

I finally got to watch the movie last night (on Blu-Ray) and absolutely loved it! :D

I'm quite pissed that Disney didn't release a 3D Blu-Ray in the US.....I guess I'll just have to double-dip if they ever release one in the future. :S

zroid

Banned
Just had to say...We've seen Frozen like, 5 times? Bought the Blu-ray yesterday and was SUPER disappointed with the extras. Have Disney Blu-ray's always been this shitty for extras???

it varies, I think... the sad thing is they actually had a few more extras here but made them Target exclusive

Rated-G

I think The Princess and the Frog was the last new release (non vault/catalogue/diamond edition rerelease) to see a good helping of special features.

Annecdotal but, the Bluray has sold out in several Walmarts in our market. I haven't seen a Bluray release this big sell out. Disney still getting that money.

Timbuktu

I am rejoicing at the thought of a sequel becoming more and more likely to happen. :)

I would much rather they first focused their energy on bring it to Broadway and have it as well executed and imaginative as the Lion King. Maybe expand the story a little on stage with a few more songs, but do it well enough that it can still be a staple musical in ten years.

And then a third movie to form an unofficial trilogy with Tangled/Frozen with a new character that shares a similar world, tone and art style.

zroid

Banned
If they did make a sequel, I would like it if it skipped ahead a generation or two. It would be interesting to see how Arendelle has changed under Elsa.

A direct sequel with the same main characters would definitely be disappointing.

If they did make a sequel, I would like it if it skipped ahead a generation or two. It would be interesting to see how Arendelle has changed under Elsa.

A direct sequel with the same main characters would definitely be disappointing.

Yeah, ahead enough that we'd get to see Anna and Kristoff's child(ren). If Disney really had balls, they could introduce a love interest for Elsa... and having it be a woman. :)

Plan to buy the blue ray as soon as I get back to the states tomorrow, I'll probably watch I that night as well :).

Sucks though that we'll have to wait to 2018 till Disney animation makes another musical. Wreck it Ralph was good but Tangled and Frozen will have a special place in my heart because of the songs.

qindarka

Banned
Plan to buy the blue ray as soon as I get back to the states tomorrow, I'll probably watch I that night as well :).

Sucks though that we'll have to wait to 2018 till Disney animation makes another musical. Wreck it Ralph was good but Tangled and Frozen will have a special place in my heart because of the songs.

I'm guessing that Giants may be a musical, early indications were that it was scheduled for 2016 but certain reliable sources have suggested 2018 as a more likely date.

Of course, it's all so early that these dates may well be meaningless. King of the Elves was supposed to be the 2013 film as recently as 2011 and Frozen as well as Ralph were both brought forward.

I don't want a sequel but surely the point of one would be to feature the same characters. I don't think the lore in any Disney movie is rich enough that the world itself is worth revisiting for its own sake, except perhaps Ralph for the video game concept.

If Disney really had balls, they could introduce a love interest for Elsa... and having it be a woman. :)

In 50 years, a DTV Frozen 2 will feature just that.

I'm guessing that Giants may be a musical, early indications were that it was scheduled for 2016 but certain reliable sources have suggested 2018 as a more likely date.

Of course, it's all so early that these dates may well be meaningless. King of the Elves was supposed to be the 2013 film as recently as 2011 and Frozen as well as Ralph were both brought forward.
Thats true, and I'm sure with the popularity of Frozen the next Disney musical will be brought forward.

zroid

Banned
I don't want a sequel but surely the point of one would be to feature the same characters. I don't think the lore in any Disney movie is rich enough that the world itself is worth revisiting for its own sake, except perhaps Ralph for the video game concept.

I agree. Just saying if one were to be made, that's what I would prefer.

Also, the idea that the lore isn't rich enough doesn't really mean it couldn't be.

MacAttack

I'm planning a Disney vacation and have heard there are huge (4+ hour) waits to see Anna and Elsa at Epcot.

Thankfully, they are moving to the Magic Kingdom before my trip and you can use FastPass.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member

We talking about the same extras? "Making of Frozen" was brilliant.

Solo

FINALLY saw it. I really liked it, but Frozen has nothing, absolutely nothing, on Tangled, which remains my favorite computer animated film along with The Incredibles.

Frozen was good, but ultimately a letdown that rang emotionally hollow in the wake of Tangled, which felt a lot more soulful and sincere.

kaskade

I finally got around to seeing it and really enjoyed it. I'm not one for musicals but let it go is stuck in my head. What I really enjoyed was the way they portrayed love and finding a mate. I think it was a welcome change for the younger generation vs the prince charming thing that was always around. It was kind of un disney like in that way.

I still need to see Tangled though.

zeemumu

I finally got around to seeing it and really enjoyed it. I'm not one for musicals but let it go is stuck in my head. What I really enjoyed was the way they portrayed love and finding a mate. I think it was a welcome change for the younger generation vs the prince charming thing that was always around. It was kind of un disney like in that way.

I still need to see Tangled though.

Disney enjoys taking stabs at itself these days. Frozen and Enchanted are good examples of that.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So I finally saw this. It's a weird mix for me, I love a ton about it, but there was an undercurrent of little plot and characterization things that made it feel kinda weird.

Let me say first though that the level of human expression in these girls' faces was goddamned astonishing. And boyeeee let me crank up the creep-o meter and go on record as citing these as the most attractive CG women I've ever seen. The realistic facial animation goes a long way towards solidifying that impression.

Some of the songs I had issues with, but others were really amazing, and Idina Menzel makes me shit bricks with some of the strength she brings to them. I was pleasantly surprised with Olaf, too. He looked really irritating in previews but his actual characterization when not just compiled into 4-second cuts that destroy all comedic timing was actually pretty charming.

But alright so I'm just gonna list a bunch of things here and see if they end up tying together into a coherent criticism.

Elsa's parents, once Anna had her memory altered, were embarrassingly idiotic. "We'll lock her away, keep it all hush hush, no exposure, teach her to be afraid and ashamed." There's no dissent from the trolls, no indication whatsoever that this course of action wouldn't be good for her. Her father immediately says all of this, and it just felt extremely unbelievable to me. How he could say it with a straight face, "I am setting up the plot with my bad decisions."

I didn't like "love is an open door" because it really bothered me that they so nonchalantly threw the word "love" around in that song after not actually having any tangible romantic interaction up until then. I know the whole thing is that Anna is being super impulsive and moving on this guy way too fast but I needed their brief relationship to hit a boiling point that it never did, and then the song felt like it came out of nowhere. A song about how this guy is really great, how he's opening your eyes up to this and that, all fine and great but it's just that word Love in there that ruins it thematically for me, and makes it extremely unbelievable. The song can BUILD to that at the end maybe, they realize it by singing the song or something, but right in the first chorus? I don't think so.

Let it go is a pretty amazing song, but it also felt like it came out of nowhere and made no real sense. The only real sense we have from Elsa in the film up until then is that she hates her power, she's afraid of it, she's terrified of hurting people, of anyone finding out about it. Her fleeing the kingdom is consistent with this. Her suddenly deciding "wow this is great I can do whatever I want now awwww yeah power times look at this bitchin castle I am the best" feels thematically dissonant. She's run out into the wilderness, chased out by her people, she should be mortified, "oh god what have I done." Instead she does a bizarre heel turn and now she loves her powers. I'd be okay with this if it was at all foreshadowed. Give brief little cuts earlier in the movie where she still uses her powers willingly, but in private. Where it seems like she wants to be herself, but is forced to repress it. The song is empowering but makes very little sense after what just happened to her, her sudden isolation from her sister and kingdom. If they made it seem like she wanted to get away from the kingdom, like she felt trapped there against her will, like she was being repressed by her family and her responsibility, even that would've set it up. But again, I got no sense of any of that.

"True love's kiss." I get that it's a disney reference but I groaned internally at every mention. That the first thing everyone in the movie jumps to is "oh it's obviously gotta be a kiss, cause this is a Disney movie." I'm glad it turned out NOT to be one, but still.

I think the troll song was a little too on the nose. I liked how that relationship was growing organically, the "lol marry him" song put it way too far out in the forefront I think.

The prince becoming evil. It felt like it really didn't accomplish much of anything. I expected him to kiss her and it didn't work cause it wasn't true love, it was impetuous young lust. Instead oops he was evil. It didn't really impact the plot at all, is the real issue. He tried to hit Elsa with a sword, and Anna blocked it, that was literally it. They could've easily put that situation together with some other kind of danger, Evil Prince just felt forced.

This isn't really a huge criticism but I kinda wish the movie's resolution involved Anna having Summer powers that counteracted Elsa's Winter powers. So that the sisters balanced each other out, so that their isolation is what caused the problems, that by being together they would've become whole. Elsa feeling "love" felt pretty lame, it's not like she never loved, she loved Anna plenty. It was just ruined by fear is all.

Overall I think the plot itself was pretty sound, it's just certain details about the events, and the way those events just happen without proper foreshadowing or characterization, that bugs me. This is a big post full of complaints but I really did like the film, I just feel like there was a wasted opportunity for Disney to look back on the film as a whole, identify these missing bits, and fill them in to make the whole thing a million times more believable. A little more context here and there, and it would've been outstanding.

Oozer3993

I can't find any copies of the Blu-ray with the Target exclusive bonus DVD around me. Does anyone know if Targets will be getting more stock of them?

I feel like the only reason why Hans turned bad, is because the producers believed that they need to reinforce the idea of trusting/marrying the guy you've just met is a bad idea, outside of that? I can't think of any.

Top Bottom