• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 |OT| Episode 3: The Playset Awakens

curb

Banned
Yeah, I don't think Strange or Panther are coming in 3.0. I'm guessing that the twins are the pack-in with the playset and Vision and Ant-Man are separate. I initially thought that Quicksilver wouldn't be in the playset so that they could rope in completionists who want both twins but Anakin and Ahsoka go together and they're together in the playset. I could be wrong about the configuration but I stand by my guess for the four figures.

Dammit, I do not want to have to wait for Captain Marvel.

Also, I kinda hope they rework the melee combat like how they worked on the weapon combat for the lightsabers before characters like Panther come out.

I initially thought that Quicksilver wouldn't be in the playset so that they could rope in completionists who want both twins but Anakin and Ahsoka go together and they're together in the playset. I could be wrong about the configuration but I stand by my guess for the four figures.

Yeah, who knows with that idea. It's gone both ways with the major one being Woody missing from Toy Story but then you get the two most popular Clone Wars characters in a set now. It doesn't matter for most of us probably because I'm assuming most here get everyone eventually but it would be interesting deciding where each figure goes.

curb

Banned
Yeah, who knows with that idea. It's gone both ways with the major one being Woody missing from Toy Story but then you get the two most popular Clone Wars characters in a set now. It doesn't matter for most of us probably because I'm assuming most here get everyone eventually but it would be interesting deciding where each figure goes.

It's true. I'm sure I'll get the all right away unless they put out something really dumb for that fourth figure.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
20150912_165053-14vscx.jpg

Blues1990

Am I the only one who finds it weird that Goofy isn't a playable character in this game? Even more so with how long it had taken for Mickey and Donald to join in on the fun as playable characters.

Zalman

Am I the only one who finds it weird that Goofy isn't a playable character in this game? Even more so with how long it had taken for Mickey and Donald to join in on the fun as playable characters.
That's my main issue with Disney Infinity. It's primarily a marketing platform for upcoming movies rather than a celebration of the company's history. They teased three figures for D23 and they all ended up being characters no one knows about yet.

Blues1990

That's my main issue with Disney Infinity. It's primarily a marketing platform for upcoming movies rather than a celebration of the company's history. They teased three figures for D23 and they all ended up being characters no one knows about yet.

Yeah, I wished there was a better balance between releasing the promotional figurines and including fan favourites. I would be happy as a clam with owning a Dipper and Mabel figurine, but I don't care at all about the Lone Ranger playset or the Inside-Out figurines.

Fusebox

Banned

Ayup. I've got a small kid and keep waiting for them to make something classic Disney. A big Disney castle that isn't another empty shell would be nice. She couldn't gaf about Star Wars or Inside Out.

Yeah, I wished there was a better balance between releasing the promotional figurines and including fan favourites. I would be happy as a clam with owning a Dipper and Mabel figurine, but I don't care at all about the Lone Ranger playset or the Inside-Out figurines.

Ayup. I've got a small kid and keep waiting for them to make something classic Disney. A big Disney castle that isn't another empty shell would be nice. She couldn't gaf about Star Wars or Inside Out.

Disney is thinking long term with Infinity. Of course they're gonna stretch out classic characters and release new characters alongside the movie advertising push. Why would they release Goofy in 2.0 and wait years after Big Hero 6 releases to produce Hiro and Baymax?

curb

Banned
I know I already mentioned something about this recently but I love the randomness of the Toy Box Hub. First a parade:

COvEteQUwAE4vX0.jpg

Then I noticed a Han Solo townsperson and after I picked him up, a bunch of rebels lined up behind my character:

COvEv7yUcAANWNw.jpg

Poona

No, same here. This is Disney. Mickey is their main. Then Donald and Goofy come with him. The big Disney three, but I can't play as him! :(

There are so many other characters I want to see in this, but I think Goofy should take precedence just to round out the main trio.

Though maybe they have something big planned for him and a few other classic characters. Possibly more of a play set rather than just being a playable character for the toybox.

graffix13

So is Boba Fett releasing sometime in 2016? For some reason I though he was releasing at the end of this month (September).

Hex

Banned
They did. I didn't think they would either. The CSR Manager said he'd get back to me but never did. The package just showed up yesterday with no warning.

I think Strange has lower odds than Quicksilver. Despite what happened in Age of Ultron, he's still a well liked character I think. That last spot is the wild card for me though. Strange, Quicksilver, Captain Marvel? It could be anyone but my money is on Pietro.

I do not think you should think of it as a popularity contest or anything else like that.
Quicksilver's powers would be an odd translation, and without them he is just another beat 'em up with a different skin.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Kinda disapointed. Order the LE from Best Buy as a gift because it shows in pictures it comes with the toy box take over. As seen here. Shows up yesterday and it didn't come with it.

I emailed them asking for it but its a gift and needed it before Wednesday.

I know it was a preorder thing but shouldn't show it coming with it if it doesn't. Could have gotten it else where if I had known.

Hope Best Buy makes it right and fixes there website.

curb

Banned
I do not think you should think of it as a popularity contest or anything else like that.
Quicksilver's powers would be an odd translation, and without them he is just another beat 'em up with a different skin.

I feel like Quicksilver is possible because of the recent movie but of all the Marvel I think are coming, he's the one pick I'm the least confident in.

MrGerbils

I've really enjoyed my time with the play sets this time around, but wish I had any fun in the toy box at all because I would love to have a reason to buy some cool characters. As it is though everything I've played in the toy box is pretty awful, even the officially made stuff. And since you can't mix and match characters in the play sets I have no reason to pick up any other chars I'm interested in that aren't Star Wars..

graffix13

I've really enjoyed my time with the play sets this time around, but wish I had any fun in the toy box at all because I would love to have a reason to buy some cool characters. As it is though everything I've played in the toy box is pretty awful, even the officially made stuff. And since you can't mix and match characters in the play sets I have no reason to pick up any other chars I'm interested in that aren't Star Wars..

Have you tried to download any player made toy boxes? There are some really good ones.

MAtgS

They already have Dash in the game, so no problem there.

Goofy needs to come soonish. I don't think we'd see a KH-styled Goofy before standard Goofy so now I got it in my head that we won't see any KH stuff until after Goof Prime.

Wait, how did Superman get into DI?

I just spent about 3-4 hours placing every figure and every power disc I own on the portal.

Any regrets I had during the 2.0 lifespan are now gone. Everything about the 3.0 presentation makes me really happy. I love the checklist (that includes disc specific power explanations) in the main menu and I love the improved Hall of Heroes (that includes places for discs and a special area for giant Crystal figure statues). Without actually counting I have about 80 percent of all the figures and 95 percent of all the power discs released across all 3 games and this is the first time I feel like the money I spent is on display.

I really love everything about this game.

After looking in 7 different big chain stores I finally found the Toybox Takeover in a random Gamestop. It really is as fun as everyone is saying. My girlfriend and I are playing each area on Hard and blowing through our figure collection trying to survive. I want to see how dumb it gets when I am down to playing as Car characters.

MrMephistoX

No, same here. This is Disney. Mickey is their main. Then Donald and Goofy come with him. The big Disney three, but I can't play as him! :(

There are so many other characters I want to see in this, but I think Goofy should take precedence just to round out the main trio.

Though maybe they have something big planned for him and a few other classic characters. Possibly more of a play set rather than just being a playable character for the toybox.

I just want a full on princess pack or at least just Belle and Ariel: methinks the developers are Pixar fans more so than Classic Disney.

I just want a full on princess pack or at least just Belle and Ariel: methinks the developers are Pixar fans more so than Classic Disney.

Belle seems exceedingly likely alongside the upcoming live action Beauty And The Beast movie- though they might base her on that version like they did Maleficent. And I don't think they did a Cinderella figure for her live action outing? So it might not happen.

But I think she's the highest-demand princess from what I've seen. I bet we'll get her and Beast, because people love him too. But maybe not a playset.

If we get a playset, we'll get Gaston.

I want Gaston.

MrMephistoX

Belle seems exceedingly likely alongside the upcoming live action Beauty And The Beast movie- though they might base her on that version like they did Maleficent. And I don't think they did a Cinderella figure for her live action outing? So it might not happen.

But I think she's the highest-demand princess from what I've seen. I bet we'll get her and Beast, because people love him too. But maybe not a playset.

If we get a playset, we'll get Gaston.

I want Gaston.

Yeah..forgot about Malificent...she does look cool but I would do very embarrassing and demeaning things for a classic animated version of her...god damn it I was on the fence but now I really want 4.0 to be Kingdom Hearts based just to ensure we get the classics in their original form and not Emma Watson. You're right in that Disney seems to be using Infinity for co-marketing not fan service so I hope that happens.

I hope Im still alive when we get Roger and Jessica Rabbit with Infinity 59.0

There's a new Roger Rabbit movie that's trying to get production rolling (co-starring Mickey Mouse and inspired by old traveling buddy comedy movies) so if that ever happens you'll probably see Roger pop up in the game.

Buuuut I don't think it's terribly likely the project will be greenlit, they've been trying for like three years now.

i feel slow or something. I keep reading up on Disney infinity and I still dont get it.

So I buy the 3.0 set for my daughter and just buy frozen and inside out figurines for it?

i feel slow or something. I keep reading up on Disney infinity and I still dont get it.

So I buy the 3.0 set for my daughter and just buy frozen and inside out figurines for it?

You'll want to get her the Inside Out playset (the bundle with Joy and Anger) and she can use all the Inside Out characters in that. Fear is an Amazon exclusive btw if getting the whole gang is important.

There's a 2-pack for Frozen that has both Elsa and Anna in it, and Olaf is available individually. If she likes modern Disney Princess stuff you can also get Rapunzel who's a lot of fun with her frying pan weapon, and if she likes the slightly older stuff there's Jasmine and Mulan too.

But basically yes.

You will probably also want to get her Toy Box Takeover and Toy Box Speedway when those come out, but they're optional- they're just good things you can use any character in.

You'll want to get her the Inside Out playset (the bundle with Joy and Anger) and she can use all the Inside Out characters in that. Fear is an Amazon exclusive btw if getting the whole gang is important.

There's a 2-pack for Frozen that has both Elsa and Anna in it, and Olaf is available individually. If she likes modern Disney Princess stuff you can also get Rapunzel who's a lot of fun with her frying pan weapon, and if she likes the slightly older stuff there's Jasmine and Mulan too.

But basically yes.

You will probably also want to get her Toy Box Takeover and Toy Box Speedway when those come out, but they're optional- they're just good things you can use any character in.

thank you, ill start with this advice. Shes 9 but a little mature, think shed be cool with Jasmine and Mulan? And how does the multiplayer work with additions like magic carpet and stuff? is there enough space for two figurines AND an accessory?

thank you, ill start with this advice. Shes 9 but a little mature, think shed be cool with Jasmine and Mulan? And how does the multiplayer work with additions like magic carpet and stuff? is there enough space for two figurines AND an accessory?

If she likes those characters then yes.
Multiplayer is split screen, down the middle.
You can do just about everything co-op. Certain creator tutorials are single player,no big deal.

If you follow Kelp's plan your options will looks like this.
STARTER PACK - Star Wars Prequel figures, Prequel PLAYSET the GAME DISC and the USB PORTAL. You can avoid buying this though if you are able to find a portal somewhere (maybe Gamestop) and buy the game digitally.

Inside Out PLAYSET - Play as Inside Out characters in a contained campaign mode. The Inside Out PLAYSET is some kind of musical platformer from I can tell.

Frozen Figures (and any other figure you buy really) - Can be used in the TOY BOX and the TOY BOX TAKEOVER. TOY BOX has two flavors..1) a Hub world where you can play a bunch of preset mini games and generally fuck around doing dumb stuff. 2) Build your own Toy Box, from scratch.

TOY BOX TAKEOVER - Diablo like campaign where you can bring any figure in.

For what its worth...
my girlfriend and I spent a ridiculous amount of time in the TOY BOX HUB yesterday leveling characters and unlocking toys. We also did 4 sections of the TOY BOX TAKEOVER.
I think these are the best parts of 3.0. BUT the campaigns AKA PLAYSETS in 3.0 are really good too.

Also...there is a rabbit hole called Power Discs. I am dug in with that. It cost me a lot of money to get the ones I needed..I have tons of doubles and the sets arent even complete.
If you are OCD about collecting shit, don't do it.

Where is the best place in Norway/Europe to buy the figures? I adore the bloody game and I got hooked on building my INTerior last night :)

I can't use Amazon as they won't ship to Norway and I want as many if not all the figures (I can't help it, I'm already up to 10)

If she likes those characters then yes.
Multiplayer is split screen, down the middle.
You can do just about everything co-op. Certain creator tutorials are single player,no big deal.

If you follow Kelp's plan your options will looks like this.
STARTER PACK - Star Wars Prequel figures, Prequel PLAYSET the GAME DISC and the USB PORTAL. You can avoid buying this though if you are able to find a portal somewhere (maybe Gamestop) and buy the game digitally.

Inside Out PLAYSET - Play as Inside Out characters in a contained campaign mode. The Inside Out PLAYSET is some kind of musical platformer from I can tell.

Frozen Figures (and any other figure you buy really) - Can be used in the TOY BOX and the TOY BOX TAKEOVER. TOY BOX has two flavors..1) a Hub world where you can play a bunch of preset mini games and generally fuck around doing dumb stuff. 2) Build your own Toy Box, from scratch.

TOY BOX TAKEOVER - Diablo like campaign where you can bring any figure in.

For what its worth...
my girlfriend and I spent a ridiculous amount of time in the TOY BOX HUB yesterday leveling characters and unlocking toys. We also did 4 sections of the TOY BOX TAKEOVER.
I think these are the best parts of 3.0. BUT the campaigns AKA PLAYSETS in 3.0 are really good too.

Also...there is a rabbit hole called Power Discs. I am dug in with that. It cost me a lot of money to get the ones I needed..I have tons of doubles and the sets arent even complete.
If you are OCD about collecting shit, don't do it.

The toy box takeovers where do you find them?

For those of you holding out:

Best Buy has the saga bundle for $100. With GCU that's $80!

Amazon has it for $90 flat.

Not as good as the GCU preorder of $92 with a $10 GC and free toybox takeover, but we're getting close!

Muppet345

I agree with this but playing the 1.0 characters kind of sucks so I'm also kind of glad they waited a while to add these characters while they got their shit together. Now when we get classic characters like Goofy and TV characters like Dipper & Mabel they'll actually be fun to play, etc.

Really my big thing is that I hope they expand toybox takeover for 4.0 because I want a bigger game mode that every character can be used in. Diablo-style gameplay is perfect for this series but they need to flesh it out more and make it a main attraction instead of a pre-order bonus/timed exclusive/whatever.

I agree with this but playing the 1.0 characters kind of sucks so I'm also kind of glad they waited a while to add these characters while they got their shit together. Now when we get classic characters like Goofy and TV characters like Dipper & Mabel they'll actually be fun to play, etc.

Really my big thing is that I hope they expand toybox takeover for 4.0 because I want a bigger game mode that every character can be used in. Diablo-style gameplay is perfect for this series but they need to flesh it out more and make it a main attraction instead of a pre-order bonus/timed exclusive/whatever.

I think they'll see strong sales for Toy Box Takeover and Toy Box Speedway and have a lot more any-character content in the future. It's what people have been waiting for, there just hasn't been a way to vote with our wallets on that until now.

Plus they've got all three major tentpole franchise categories established so focusing on crossover content will be a good move going forward, with franchise-specific playsets mostly used as tie-ins to new releases.

It lets them do more characters without playsets who can get strong sales too. I bet the Tron characters and Mickey/Minnie will sell a lot better when there's these toy box expansions to play than they would without them.

Top Bottom