• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 |OT| Episode 3: The Playset Awakens

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Went to Target during lunch today, and picked up Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Sabine. Really looking forward to getting home and trying it out tonight, especially since word came down that we don't have OT today after all!

Tendo

What is the fastest way to level characters? I have a ton of figures I bought just for show but would like to level some but not sure the most efficient way.

What is the fastest way to level characters? I have a ton of figures I bought just for show but would like to level some but not sure the most efficient way.

First, get each of them to at least lv1. Each character you level up at least once in 3.0 grants you an XP multiplier and if you have a lot of characters it adds up pretty quick. If you have multiples of any power discs make sure you scan those all too because they'll also add to it.

Then I'd recommend hitting up any combat-heavy toyboxes you can find and smash dudes for a while. If you're using 1.0 or 2.0 characters (or the Inside Out crew) you should try to equip them with a sword or other melee weapon, which will give them the 3.0 style combat with launchers and block breakers. Speeds it up a lot. (the exception to this is characters who come with built-in melee weapons like Rapunzel who permanently has her frying pan equipped, I believe. they're fine)

That said there's also probably a faster more 'cheaty' way to do it via building something in the toybox, but I don't know how to go about making an XP generator machine.

Kelp's advice is good stuff here.

I spent the weekend leveling all my figures..
I used the Urban Brawler box/turtorial found in the red door of the Toy Box Hub. Gets you a good amount of XP and its a good place to learn melee combat. Not a good place for ranged attacks though because of the 2D axis. Cant really lock on or aim the same way you do in the rest of the games.

I also used two power discs that supposedly give you more XP (Mickeys Sorcerer Hat and the tron user disc) but I will really never know if those do anything or not.

curb

Banned
I just happen to catch John Vignocchi on the Kinda Funny Games stream and he mentioned that the iOS and Android versions were submitted today and to expect them by the end of the month.

Edit: to the surprise of no one, 3.0 is not coming to the Vita. If enough support was shown, they'd consider it but I doubt all 20 Vita owners can be that loud.
I love my Vita.

Like Kelp said there is a "cheat" method by creating your own contraption in the toy box. If you're interested:

1. Place enemy generator (the singular one) in the toy box. I like to place 4 in a square.
2. Place a repeater creativitoy. Use your wand on the repeater, input "repeat" and link it to an enemy generator and pick to spawn a large type of enemy to get the most exp. Do it again to each enemy generator.
3. Place a kill switch
4. Place a trigger area box. Use the wand to link to the trigger area to the kill switch. Have it set so any enemy AI is defeated when entering the trigger area.
5. Use the wand again on the trigger area and link it to the repeater. Set it so player 1 turns the repeater on when entering the trigger. Use your wand again and set to turn the repeater off when player 1 leaves the trigger.
6. Move the trigger area on top of the enemy generators. Adjust the size of the trigger if you need. I like to then put blocks around the enemy generators to keep the sparks from spreading too far.

If you have a second controller you can level two characters at once. Only one character needs to pick up sparks for both to gain exp. Also note that the game only gives you so many exp sparks in any given moment so you can leave the "sparks generator" and continue to build or farm etc in your toy box and come back to it 5-10 mins later. Or you can just idle and do other stuff. It's a great way to earn currency sparks to buy stuff from toy store as well.

I might post a pic later but I'm sure there's other videos and tutorials out there.

RobbieNick

I got my Toybox approved! Check out "Tatooine Farm and Fun" if you want to raise crops, go kart racing, Podracing, fight Darth Vader or fly some spaceships through rings. It's the funnest farm in the galaxy!

Edit: to the surprise of no one, 3.0 is not coming to the Vita. If enough support was shown, they'd consider it but I doubt all 20 Vita owners can be that loud.
I love my Vita.
If they wanted people to buy the Vita version of 2.0, maybe they shouldn't have made it a GameStop exclusive. :p

curb

Banned
Does anyone know what all can be opened up in the Toy Box Hub? Outside of coloring in the different sections, I've had things like Jabba's palace appear in the Tatooine section. I have a large round canyon area in Tatooine that looks like something should go there plus a lot of empty space in the farm portion. I assume that finishing the farming tutorials would add farm plots in there but is there anything else?

If they wanted people to buy the Vita version of 2.0, maybe they shouldn't have made it a GameStop exclusive. :p

I think that was a fairly shortsighted move on their part. As much as I'd love 3.0 on my Vita since I already have the base, I'm sure it's never going to happen.

fernoca

Keeping also in mind that it was Sony the one that asked and funded the port of 2.0. Disney had no intentions and Activision doesn't have any plans to release Skylanders, so guess Sony wanted to cover that "hole"; trying to cover the family oriented side. Is probably why it was also a Gamestop exclusive, since stores have a ton of "toys to life starter packs".

But yeah, guess was a little too late. I even tried to sell the Vita version and the base for $20 shipped (since I wanted the Marvel playset and black Spider-Man figure....with offers it was cheaper buying the Vita version than everything separate); but across eBay and in here there wasn't interest. So, I gave it away.

Still, 3.0 is such sn improvement on everything. Sony should've funded a day one port of 3.0 instead of a late port of 2.0.

curb

Banned
Keeping also in mind that it was Sony the one that asked and funded the port of 2.0. Disney had no intentions and Activision doesn't have any plans to release Skylanders, so guess Sony wanted to cover that "hole"; trying to cover the family oriented side. Is probably why it was also a Gamestop exclusive, since stores have a ton of "toys to life starter packs".

But yeah, guess was a little too late. I even tried to sell the Vita version and the base for $20 shipped (since I wanted the Marvel playset and black Spider-Man figure....with offers it was cheaper buying the Vita version than everything separate); but across eBay and in here there wasn't interest. So, I gave it away.

Still, 3.0 is such sn improvement on everything. Sony should've funded a day one port of 3.0 instead of a late port of 2.0.

So very true.

MrMephistoX

Would anyone in the thread be interested in buying my PS4 disc and unused stand for $20? I'm digital only this gen and the unsightly disc is driving OCD me nuts! Alternatively I guess I could GameStop it but then I'd have to go to gamestop...any idea what the trade in value might be for the game and stand I don't need? I had a stand from 2.0 after getting a bunch of freebies at an event.

curb

Banned
I got my Toybox approved! Check out "Tatooine Farm and Fun" if you want to raise crops, go kart racing, Podracing, fight Darth Vader or fly some spaceships through rings. It's the funnest farm in the galaxy!

I like that the garden was fully stocked when I loaded it. Easy food for my sidekicks that I'm too lazy to grow myself. Man, I suck at precision flying - those rings are very close together.

I told him to check in store. The Ebgames site doesn't list used figs or bases.

Has he made any progress? I saw your post on reddit too, anything there?.

Tendo

Like Kelp said there is a "cheat" method by creating your own contraption in the toy box. If you're interested:

1. Place enemy generator (the singular one) in the toy box. I like to place 4 in a square.
2. Place a repeater creativitoy. Use your wand on the repeater, input "repeat" and link it to an enemy generator and pick to spawn a large type of enemy to get the most exp. Do it again to each enemy generator.
3. Place a kill switch
4. Place a trigger area box. Use the wand to link to the trigger area to the kill switch. Have it set so any enemy AI is defeated when entering the trigger area.
5. Use the wand again on the trigger area and link it to the repeater. Set it so player 1 turns the repeater on when entering the trigger. Use your wand again and set to turn the repeater off when player 1 leaves the trigger.
6. Move the trigger area on top of the enemy generators. Adjust the size of the trigger if you need. I like to then put blocks around the enemy generators to keep the sparks from spreading too far.

If you have a second controller you can level two characters at once. Only one character needs to pick up sparks for both to gain exp. Also note that the game only gives you so many exp sparks in any given moment so you can leave the "sparks generator" and continue to build or farm etc in your toy box and come back to it 5-10 mins later. Or you can just idle and do other stuff. It's a great way to earn currency sparks to buy stuff from toy store as well.

I might post a pic later but I'm sure there's other videos and tutorials out there.

So is that why when i first load it I can get a ton of xp orbs but then shortly after I'm getting like none? Anything I can do to keep the stream up? I have like... almost every figure except the cars ones and they are at 0. I'm not good at things.

vongruetz

Banned

I love that 2.0 came to the Vita and PSTV, but after playing it for awhile, it quickly becomes obvious that going for the "full console experience" was not the right approach. The first mistake is they tied a portable gaming console to a bluetooth base. That created so many problems. The kids just couldn't play it in the car. You always had to make sure the base synced before you could start (and most of the time it doesn't). And the then there's the fact that all the content for the game is crammed into that one tiny memory card. So all the data for the three playsets plus all the data for every character and every power disc was shoved in there. I wonder if that is the reason why the textures were so heavily downgraded.

What I would like to see if they ever did a 3.0 release is to do what they do with mobile. Forget the base and go all digital. Make the game truly portable. And then, I say forget the playsets. Make it only the Toy Box. Then, instead of porting over each of the playsets, focus on perfecting the performance. Hopefully that would give them enough resources to then put multiplayer back into the game. The best part about Disney Infinity is playing with friends. It's about building cool and wacky worlds and then experiencing them with your buddies. The Vita version of 2.0 cut all of that out. It really hampered the experience.

That's just my 2 cents. Leave the full console version on the consoles, but bring the mobile experience over to the Vita.

Ludist210

So is that why when i first load it I can get a ton of xp orbs but then shortly after I'm getting like none? Anything I can do to keep the stream up? I have like... almost every figure except the cars ones and they are at 0. I'm not good at things.
I tried this with my Pirates figures, but I eventually gave up because it just got tedious. It's more fun to play through Toy Boxes and level up...there's one built-in (the side-scrolling brawler) that can level you up a fair bit in about 20 minutes.

God dammit, I have a problem...not only did I go nuts earlier when I bought the saga set for this game, but gamestop has been having such a good deal on the Buy 2, get 3 free on preowned infinity figures, that I've been going nuts lol. Today, I got 20 figures for less than $100.

All older figures, but they still work in toy box and such...plus I have a copy of 2.0 that I haven't messed around much. Was able to get Jack Skellington, Gamora, Drax, Venom, Spider-man, Hulk, Spider-man playset, Guardians playset, Star Lord, Wreck it Ralph, Iron Fist, Nova, Stitch, Anna, Elsa, Rocket Raccoon, Tinker Bell, Donald, SA Mickey, and Aladdin. Ahh, so overboard...plus all the 3.0 stuff, already got a full shelf XD

God dammit, I have a problem...not only did I go nuts earlier when I bought the saga set for this game, but gamestop has been having such a good deal on the Buy 2, get 3 free on preowned infinity figures, that I've been going nuts lol. Today, I got 20 figures for less than $100.

All older figures, but they still work in toy box and such...plus I have a copy of 2.0 that I haven't messed around much. Was able to get Jack Skellington, Gamora, Drax, Venom, Spider-man, Hulk, Spider-man playset, Guardians playset, Star Lord, Wreck it Ralph, Iron Fist, Nova, Stitch, Anna, Elsa, Rocket Raccoon, Tinker Bell, Donald, SA Mickey, and Aladdin. Ahh, so overboard...plus all the 3.0 stuff, already got a full shelf XD

Didja do the deal at the store level? Seems all my stores are almost empty of figs =(

yeah, I went to the gamestop right near my house, and they had a big stock in, I guess a customer had traded in their collection recently.

I'm checking and checking. =)

Hopefully before the sale ends. Just got into it and I have mostly SW plus Stitch, Mickey Mouse, and Flynn from Tron. I LOVE this game.

Sorry for the double post but it's worth it!

HUGE KUDOS to Riptwo for helping me out with the Base issue. Finding one in Calgary was impossoble for my gaming buddy, and now we get to play together thanks to Riptwo being kind enough to give him it free of charge!

Canadians are the nicest people around. Thank you! =)

MrMephistoX

Um has Tron Land always been in the Toybox hub background with the Daft Punk soundtrack playing? I just noticed and I want to go to there! Damnit!

Um has Tron Land always been in the Toybox hub background with the Daft Punk soundtrack playing? I just noticed and I want to go to there! Damnit!

I've found that sometimes the background and theme song change with little notice. Makes it more fun IMO.

So on another note, I was working on a fun little test toybox (my first) and a few people jumped in and for a while it was fun (tag/fighting/exploring) then someone later thought taking out a Diffusinator Gun and change the color of countless things would be good. Others jumped in and out and I payed little attention, but when I needed to leave I had to exit without saving and lost some rail work I had done.

Is it always the case that visitors can wreck things in your toy box or is there a setting to stop that? Overall it was fine and I know now to close my toybox when working on it, and I did get a bunch of townspeople from the visitor's characters, and see a lot of toys in action (Venom is such a OP character in free fighting).

kQAlw7M.jpg

I have a sickness...lol, this is all just from the last few weeks. Still want so many 3.0 figures, but I feel like with the exception of Groot, and Captain America, I got what I wanted of 1.0 and 2.0 out of the way because of that damn gamestop sale.

MrMephistoX

For the life of me I can't figure out how to spawn enemies in toy boxes I've downloaded. There's a bunch of cool big hero 6 stuff for example but it's almost lifeless.

Camisado

Has anyone had any luck getting into online games in the arcade?

I had a few tries around launch but gave up just assuming it was teething issues. Tried again today to the exact same results. Can't get a game and any time it does load something, it's just a random toy box or interior. Odd.

DooD1234

Guys, I just bought a Mulan figure from Best Buy because it one of my favorite movies when I was young and the figure itself looks great. But now, I'm getting a really strong urge to collect some more. How screwed am I when it comes to collecting the older figures?

Oh boy, just when I thought collecting amiibos was bad enough. Now I'm about to start collecting DI figures. May as well look into the games.

Guys, I just bought a Mulan figure from Best Buy because it one of my favorite movies when I was young and the figure itself looks great. But now, I'm getting a really strong urge to collect some more. How screwed am I when it comes to collecting the older figures?

Oh boy, just when I thought collecting amiibos was bad enough. Now I'm about to start collecting DI figures. May as well look into the games.

DI figures are much easier to come by than any given Amiibo, and if you don't mind getting them out-of-box you can get the rare ones for like $12 to $15 online, even from places like Gamestop.

That said, you might want to hit up local stores because a lot of them are putting 1.0 and 2.0 stuff on clearance right now to make room for 3.0. I got Donald Duck and Tinkerbelle for $10 each at walmart on clearance and the 1.0 stuff is discounted even more than that here.

Unfortunately you just missed Gamestop's buy-2-get-3-free sale which was amazing for catching up on 1.0 and 2.0 figures.

DooD1234

DI figures are much easier to come by than any given Amiibo, and if you don't mind getting them out-of-box you can get the rare ones for like $12 to $15 online, even from places like Gamestop.

That said, you might want to hit up local stores because a lot of them are putting 1.0 and 2.0 stuff on clearance right now to make room for 3.0. I got Donald Duck and Tinkerbelle for $10 each at walmart on clearance and the 1.0 stuff is discounted even more than that here.

Unfortunately you just missed Gamestop's buy-2-get-3-free sale which was amazing for catching up on 1.0 and 2.0 figures.
Dang, the Gamestop sale would have definitely helped. Guess I should start looking around local stores with a list. I hope Best Buy has a few because of GCU.

What about the games? Any reason to play DI 1.0/2.0? Should I just skip them and go straight to 3.0? Does one portal work across all platform or do I need to get a different portal along with the game?

Dang, the Gamestop sale would have definitely helped. Guess I should start looking around local stores with a list. I hope Best Buy has a few because of GCU.

What about the games? Any reason to play DI 1.0/2.0? Should I just skip them and go straight to 3.0? Does one portal work across all platform or do I need to get a different portal along with the game?

3.0 is a huge improvement game-wise in just about every respect over 1.0 and 2.0. The only reason to go back is if you really really want to play some of the older playsets like Incredibles or Spider-Man. Personally I don't think anyone needs to do that but if you want to experience everything in the whole series it's pretty cheap to pick up 1.0 or 2.0.

If you just want to unlock the stuff from old playsets for Toybox building you can get the playsets and scan them in 3.0. Gives you all the unlocks instantly since you can't play the set anymore.

The portals are split up like this:

- Wii/Wii U/PS3/PS4 all use the same one

- Xbox 360 needs it's own

- Xbox One needs it's own

There is no difference between versions, though. A 1.0 portal is still perfectly fine to use in 3.0, and a 3.0 portal will work with 1.0, etc.

DooD1234

3.0 is a huge improvement game-wise in just about every respect over 1.0 and 2.0. The only reason to go back is if you really really want to play some of the older playsets like Incredibles or Spider-Man. Personally I don't think anyone needs to do that but if you want to experience everything in the whole series it's pretty cheap to pick up 1.0 or 2.0.

If you just want to unlock the stuff from old playsets for Toybox building you can get the playsets and scan them in 3.0. Gives you all the unlocks instantly since you can't play the set anymore.

The portals are split up like this:

- Wii/Wii U/PS3/PS4 all use the same one

- Xbox 360 needs it's own

- Xbox One needs it's own

There is no difference between versions, though. A 1.0 portal is still perfectly fine to use in 3.0, and a 3.0 portal will work with 1.0, etc.
Thanks very much, you have been very helpful. Seems strange and funny to me the Xbox portal don't work with each other and the other platforms.

Look forward to collecting those DI figures. At least I don't have stress over preorders like Amiibos.

So Disney Infinity 2.0 Toy Box starter set is on sale today at Best Buy for $15, or $12 for GCU.

My question is, is it worth it to buy if I have no interest in the Marvel playsets, don't care for the characters included and am interested in the advance game-making tools in 3.0?

I.e. is it worth it just to have? Does Stitch or the Brave girl have any unique abilities?

So I bought a Venom figure because of how nice it looked, but do not own any Infinity games. What's the best way to experience this franchise across all series? Like, 3.0 seems focused on Star Wars. Will I miss out on stuff if I want to play Marvel characters? Is there enough content for Marvel to still make it worth it?
Also, what is the best deal on figures at this moment? Wanted to pick up Sam Flynn and maybe some other peeps.

Top Bottom