• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 |OT| Episode 3: The Playset Awakens

curb

Banned
I think I'm liking the Toy Box Takeover but I can't help but think that TBT and the cart racing portion really should just be part of the base game. I really like what they've done with the Toy Box Hub but outside of the playset that comes with a Starter Pack, there's not much else to it. Even the Toy Boxes that are connected to the Hub are really just more or less a tutorial. I feel like if they were to add a bit more substance to that base game, it would really boost the value proposition. I get that the characters themselves are just physical DLC but selling $40 worth of gameplay add-ons like that just seems to cross a line for me.

Ecto311

I purchased the Toy Box Takeover from Target the other day. They had them in stock, but not out on the shelves. They went to the back and gave me one.

Is it in a slender box or is it something different. I get excited when I see the stupid power pack thing but never have seen this in stores. It goes for $20 right? Worth it?

Rhaegar

Is it in a slender box or is it something different. I get excited when I see the stupid power pack thing but never have seen this in stores. It goes for $20 right? Worth it?

Yeah, the one I picked up from a local Target was in a skinny cardboard box about the width of the figure boxes and was on pegs in the same section as the power discs and figures.

Gotta chime in about Toybox Takeover too.

Such an excellent mode. I love seeing what bad guys you're going to get each level. I love the second round and seeing what crazy gimmick they out you in to complete the level. I love running from the death cloud and then using it to kill enemies.

It's just so good.

I honestly think this game's marketing has brain washing powers....I had NO interest in this game, but I couldn't stop thinking about wanting to try it...not marketed to me either, 32 year old man, but I was curious to try the new combat, and to see the rise against the empire content, and the inside out content, so I went to best buy and $100 bundle with the inside out pack...what the fuck...i dont need this, but I couldn't stop thinking about it! Fucking marketing.

I honestly think this game's marketing has brain washing powers....I had NO interest in this game, but I couldn't stop thinking about wanting to try it...not marketed to me either, 32 year old man, but I was curious to try the new combat, and to see the rise against the empire content, and the inside out content, so I went to best buy and $100 bundle with the inside out pack...what the fuck...i dont need this, but I couldn't stop thinking about it! Fucking marketing.

Well hopefully the good to great reviews and the personal impressions here will help you. :)

I find it just pure fun. It's how I unwind. :)

If she likes those characters then yes.
Multiplayer is split screen, down the middle.
You can do just about everything co-op. Certain creator tutorials are single player,no big deal.

If you follow Kelp's plan your options will looks like this.
STARTER PACK - Star Wars Prequel figures, Prequel PLAYSET the GAME DISC and the USB PORTAL. You can avoid buying this though if you are able to find a portal somewhere (maybe Gamestop) and buy the game digitally.

Inside Out PLAYSET - Play as Inside Out characters in a contained campaign mode. The Inside Out PLAYSET is some kind of musical platformer from I can tell.

Frozen Figures (and any other figure you buy really) - Can be used in the TOY BOX and the TOY BOX TAKEOVER. TOY BOX has two flavors..1) a Hub world where you can play a bunch of preset mini games and generally fuck around doing dumb stuff. 2) Build your own Toy Box, from scratch.

TOY BOX TAKEOVER - Diablo like campaign where you can bring any figure in.

For what its worth...
my girlfriend and I spent a ridiculous amount of time in the TOY BOX HUB yesterday leveling characters and unlocking toys. We also did 4 sections of the TOY BOX TAKEOVER.
I think these are the best parts of 3.0. BUT the campaigns AKA PLAYSETS in 3.0 are really good too.

Also...there is a rabbit hole called Power Discs. I am dug in with that. It cost me a lot of money to get the ones I needed..I have tons of doubles and the sets arent even complete.
If you are OCD about collecting shit, don't do it.

lol thanks for the advice. I just want something my daughter wont get bored with in a day!

Anyone do the Dining and Driving feat in the Twilight of the Republic playset on Coruscant? It's not your typical mission but it's the two people with purple mail icons over their head and you are supposed to do taxi errands for them. I'm stuck at 7/8 and they just keep repeating the same 7 errands over and over again.

It's one of the only feats I have left besides character specific ones and it's bothering me to no end lol.

This is so infinitely better than 2 I don't even understand how.
its like 2 was made by a C-team.

Maybe Disney has two teams like Call of Duty and 4.0 will be a similar game to this one and 5.0 will be where the next big revision comes from.

curb

Banned
Maybe Disney has two teams like Call of Duty and 4.0 will be a similar game to this one and 5.0 will be where the next big revision comes from.

I think they just made better use of their third party contract devs this time. Ninja Theory worked on 2.0 but they designed the lightsaber combat from the ground up for 3.0 and then did the Twilight playset (I think). It seems like Disney/Avalanche recognized their shortcomings as a studio and brought in outside help in those areas.

Edit: I forgot that United Front Games is doing the Marvel playset. I hope they've been given some freedom to work on some the super hero combat.

Nudull

Banned
For those of you holding out:

Best Buy has the saga bundle for $100. With GCU that's $80!

Amazon has it for $90 flat.

Not as good as the GCU preorder of $92 with a $10 GC and free toybox takeover, but we're getting close!

I could price match with Amazon if I don't have GCU, right?

Rhaegar

Can you send me a link so I can see what they look like to keep an eye out for.

Assuming you're talking about Toy Box Takeover?

latest

I think they just made better use of their third party contract devs this time. Ninja Theory worked on 2.0 but they designed the lightsaber combat from the ground up for 3.0 and then did the Twilight playset (I think). It seems like Disney/Avalanche recognized their shortcomings as a studio and brought in outside help in those areas.

Edit: I forgot that United Front Games is doing the Marvel playset. I hope they've been given some freedom to work on some the super hero combat.

You know, it completely slipped my mind that multiple studios helped with this game! I take it back.

I could price match with Amazon if I don't have GCU, right?

You can. However, If you plan on getting more random stuff, GCU is a good deal. You save $10 off amazon this time. Now you just need $20 more savings total for this thing to have paid for itself, then you have the rest of the 2 years to make it back.

IT ONLY makes sense if you are buying things new.

Poona

I think I'm liking the Toy Box Takeover but I can't help but think that TBT and the cart racing portion really should just be part of the base game. I really like what they've done with the Toy Box Hub but outside of the playset that comes with a Starter Pack, there's not much else to it.

Yeah, agree.

They should be part of the base game. They're such great additions that it is sad that quite a few will miss out on playing them, only because they either aren't aware of their existence or they just don't want to shell out more money for another game piece.

I've had no luck hitting up any stores in my area for Toy Box Takeover. And I tried a lot of stores.

Do we have a specific release date for it in October or is it still vague? As soon as I can get that I'm probably going to be getting a looooot of Disney Infinity stuff for me and my little sister to play with.

For those of you holding out:

Best Buy has the saga bundle for $100. With GCU that's $80!

Amazon has it for $90 flat.

Not as good as the GCU preorder of $92 with a $10 GC and free toybox takeover, but we're getting close!
Close enough that I think I'll spring for it. Thanks to (ab)using the Target Star Wars discounts last week, I managed to get a discount on Toy Box Takeover last week; if I'm doing the math right I'm "only" spending $12 more than if I preordered.

Stupid reviews changing my mind. ;)

I've had no luck hitting up any stores in my area for Toy Box Takeover. And I tried a lot of stores.

Do we have a specific release date for it in October or is it still vague? As soon as I can get that I'm probably going to be getting a looooot of Disney Infinity stuff for me and my little sister to play with.

I ordered this today through http://www.bestbuy.com/site/disney-interactive-studios-disney-infinity-3-0-edition-toy-box-takeover-expansion-game-pre-order-bonus-multi/7243027.p?id=1219669730775&skuId=7243027&productCategoryId=pcmcat50300050014 and is currently preparing for shipment. Comes out to $16 if you have GCU.

Hey guys! :)

My wife is in love with Disney. She especially likes the "old" stuff (e.g. Cinderalla, Peter Pan, Mickey & Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Arielle etc.). She also likes the newer ones but not as much as the old ones. :)

Everytime when we are shopping she shows real interest in Disney Infinity but then we both become reasonable. We both already collect amiibo (all of them) and Skylanders (periodically because we love the co-op expecrience and not the figures). So space and budget are already tight on this topic.

So my question is: What do I need to buy to get the most fun out my money? We both like doing co-op missions. I read somewhere that there is coming something Diablo-esque? We both put over 300+ hours in D3 on PS4. :D

Since she loves the old Disney movies/characters what can I buy for her? :)

Thanks!

fernoca

Hey guys! :)

My wife is in love with Disney. She especially likes the "old" stuff (e.g. Cinderalla, Peter Pan, Mickey & Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Arielle etc.). She also likes the newer ones but not as much as the old ones. :)

Everytime when we are shopping she shows real interest in Disney Infinity but then we both become reasonable. We both already collect amiibo (all of them) and Skylanders (periodically because we love the co-op expecrience and not the figures). So space and budget are already tight on this topic.

So my question is: What do I need to buy to get the most fun out my money? We both like doing co-op missions. I read somewhere that there is coming something Diablo-esque? We both put over 300+ hours in D3 on PS4. :D

Since she loves the old Disney movies/characters what can I buy for her? :)

Thanks!
Well, in that case:
-Digital version ($20 - $30 depending in your main console)
-Used base at Gamestop ($5-$7)
-Toy Box Takeover Game Disc ($20 - this is the Diablo like game)
-Figures: Sorcerer Mickey, Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Tinkerbell, Aladdin, Jasmine,...

It depends on the total number of figures you get for her ...and yourself. $50 will get you the first 3 things, $28 at least 2 figures (one for each player). So, around $80 to get started with "something Diablo", along the rest of user created content and the Toy Box in general.

Well, in that case:
-Digital version ($20 - $30 depending in your main console)
-Used base at Gamestop ($5-$7)
-Toy Box Takeover Game Disc ($20 - this is the Diablo like game)
-Figures: Sorcerer Mickey, Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Tinkerbell, Aladdin, Jasmine,...

It depends on the total number of figures you get for her ...and yourself. $50 will get you the first 3 things, $28 at least 2 figures (one for each player). So, around $80 to get started with "something Diablo", along the rest of user created content and the Toy Box in general.

Thanks! :) So there is only one "base" game? The Takeover Game is not yet available here in Germany. But the videos look amazing!

What about the playsets? Are there good ones? Are those buyable coins important?

Just finished placing/leveling all my figures and I come out with a 150% XP Bonus.
Good enough.

Some random observations:
I don't like that you can't replace/reorder items in the quick wheel. The button does say "Remove Tool" and "Remove Pack" but nothing seems to happen. Also, switching between sections seems to reset whatever pack and tool you have equipped.

Looking at the "Disney Infinity Collection" section in the main menu, I see 3.0 is real light on the power discs. I was already glad they got rid of the blind packs but this makes it even better.

-EDIT-
Created a toybox for farming. Just rows of farm plot terrain and sidekicks working all day on it. Went to harvest and nothing worked. The flowers didn't give XP and the vegetables didnt produce. It also told me I ran out of "graphics memory"?? Downloaded someones premade farm land and the same shit happened. I am just sticking with the tutorial "Plotting for Plants" area now. That doesn't seem to be an issue.

curb

Banned
Yeah, agree.

They should be part of the base game. They're such great additions that it is sad that quite a few will miss out on playing them, only because they either aren't aware of their existence or they just don't want to shell out more money for another game piece.

It seems like an unfortunate side effect of the business model. I'm sure they make the bulk of their money off the plastic sold outside of the starter packs but 2.0 got such a mediocre reception, they should really be trying to get as many people into the base game as possible.

Not everyone cares about Star Wars as well. If that consumer wants the good non-Star Wars content, then that's $65 for a playset and two figures they don't want and then another $40 for the Toy Box toys.

-NeoTB1-

So, I'm about to drop head first into Disney Infinity with the 3.0 Star Wars Saga Bundle. I'm pretty excited. Part of the reason is because I love Star Wars, and the other is because my son is getting old enough where he will enjoy and appreciate this sort of thing.

Close enough that I think I'll spring for it. Thanks to (ab)using the Target Star Wars discounts last week, I managed to get a discount on Toy Box Takeover last week; if I'm doing the math right I'm "only" spending $12 more than if I preordered.

Stupid reviews changing my mind. ;)

If you don't have GCU, you can buy a $100 BB GC here:

https://bestbuy.cashstar.com/?u1=379f7cc99f54423db9170ffb51250197&id=lw9MynSeamY

It comes with a $10 promo that's good until the end of oct. Use the $110 to buy the GCU and the starter pack. You've paid $100 and have 20% off all future DI purchases at BB.

Ludist210

Anyone do the Dining and Driving feat in the Twilight of the Republic playset on Coruscant? It's not your typical mission but it's the two people with purple mail icons over their head and you are supposed to do taxi errands for them. I'm stuck at 7/8 and they just keep repeating the same 7 errands over and over again.

It's one of the only feats I have left besides character specific ones and it's bothering me to no end lol.
I finished it. Each of the locations (one by the Diner, one where you found Jar Jar) has four missions. They all went sequentially for me (four from the Diner before his repeated, and four from the other guy before they repeated).

Damn it, I just want Flynn's Arcade to work properly. I've tried close to 50 times to get into games and have played only 4. The matches I played were actually quite fun, too. Really liked the Endor Rally and World of Color.

Nudull

Banned
Picked up Yoda early from Gamestop, and the Star Wars section was picked clean. All they had left was an Obi-Wan and a Zeb.

Experien

Amazon said they are shipping my Takeover now. Arriving Wednesday. Still have no idea what to do in Toy Box or anything about it, been stuck in the playsets so far.

Picked up Yoda early from Gamestop, and the Star Wars section was picked clean. All they had left was an Obi-Wan and a Zeb.

I had him in my hand and allllmost jumped but then I decided to wait for the Light Up versions. Right now I only have to replace Skywalker and Anakin.

Fusebox

Banned
Does anyone else hear really odd, loud rear-speaker sounds in their INterior?

Always clanging and banging behind me, it drives me nuts.

Ecto311

It's a physical hexagonal piece much like the playset pieces.

So it cannot be a dlc code correct - I need this disc bit to play I take it.

Makes it a ton of fun when searching for info on this damn thing leads to almost nothing and calling around gets you no where since most people I talk to think it is all part of the same thing.

So it cannot be a dlc code correct - I need this disc bit to play I take it.

Makes it a ton of fun when searching for info on this damn thing leads to almost nothing and calling around gets you no where since most people I talk to think it is all part of the same thing.

It's not released yet so calling around isn't going to do much good. It releases in October. A few places like Target have put it out early for some reason.

Apparently Target.com is actively selling them early like not as a preorder or anything, you might even get it before Friday with free shipping depending on where you live and if you grab something to bump it up over the $25 mark.

I underestimated the number of places that don't give a crap about street dates, lol

I expected this mistake to only happen in-store at like physical locations but here we are. Definitely going to order this once I get my next paycheck.

If you don't have GCU, you can buy a $100 BB GC here:

https://bestbuy.cashstar.com/?u1=379f7cc99f54423db9170ffb51250197&id=lw9MynSeamY

It comes with a $10 promo that's good until the end of oct. Use the $110 to buy the GCU and the starter pack. You've paid $100 and have 20% off all future DI purchases at BB.

Balls, Amazon is doing the saga bundle for $80:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZSJU97C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Getting REALLY close to the $92 for saga + $10 GC + Toybox takeover preorder.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I just checked Amazon on a whim, because I planned on stopping by Target today and see if they have a saga bundle, and was pleased to see that Amazon has it for $80. Snatched it up, and paid for same day shipping. Came up to $87 total.

I'll probably stop by Target anyway and grab a few characters anyway.

Top Bottom