• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 |OT| Episode 3: The Playset Awakens

curb

Banned
It's odd because the costume discs are very popular. Releasing a 4-pack of costume discs with Marvel Battlegrounds would go over well and MCU Captain would have fit in with that.

But I understand that Disney Infinity is first and foremost a way to get sales synergy with Disney's new releases, so I suppose this would have been hard to avoid with Marvel. Netflix's Daredevil wasn't exactly for children.

Now that you mention it, a costume disc pack seems like an awesome idea. I suspect many people will pass on new-Cap (at least for a while) since they have the original Cap but I'd buy an MCU costume pack.

Edit: With the MCU Cap being added in the game, we have three more slots for Marvel Characters left

That would be okay, but then we have no new female hero/villan for the Marvel content in 3.0; would stick out badly against the Disney line of female characters (Sadness, Joy, Disgust, Minnie Mouse, Mulan, Quora) and Star Wars female characters. I feel that at least Scarlet Witch would have a spot in the 3.0 roster but that is it for the Age of Ultron characters though.

My best for Marvel figures now are the following:
-Hulkbuster Iron Man (announced)
-Ultron (announced)
-MCU Captain America (announced)
-Scarlet Witch
-MCU Spider Man or Falcon
-Vision or Quicksilver

You forgot Ant-man which we know ia coming. So only two slots left. We already have 2 Spideys so unless their MCU costume iscreally that different I don't think he is on. I think Vision is a strong bet. The other slot depends on how important roles the characters will be on Civil War. Maybe Winter Soldier, maybe Falcon, maybe Wanda.

Muppet345

3.0 is a massive improvement for the series in a lot of ways but I hope 4.0 is centered around them finally getting a hang on how many series they're working with here, hopefully by finally merging them all together. The amount of non-Star Wars content in 3.0 is fairly limited.

curb

Banned
You forgot Ant-man which we know ia coming. So only two slots left. We already have 2 Spideys so unless their MCU costume iscreally that different I don't think he is on. I think Vision is a strong bet. The other slot depends on how important roles the characters will be on Civil War. Maybe Winter Soldier, maybe Falcon, maybe Wanda.

I was always thinking that Vision and Wanda were for sure but now I wonder about Vision. With the play set featuring Wakanda, I wonder if it'll be Black Panther and Wanda.

BP could always be an NPC though.

Neoxon

So we're probably getting Ant-Man, Vision, & Black Panther. The Civil War Cap figure is starting to lower my hope for the Twins.

Muppet345

So we're probably getting Ant-Man, Vision, & Black Panther. The Civil War Cap figure is starting to lower my hope for the Twins.
I'd love Black Panther but I doubt we'll see him yet since his movie isn't until 2018. (I know Wakanda is in Civil War, but seems early for that).

curb

Banned

I'm still counting on at least one female figure. They've got to do at least one. I think it would look really bad if they didn't.

Experien

Oh wait...this means the Battlegrounds is ONLY for Marvel characters?

I just got 3.0 recently and only have Star Wars and Stitch.

fernoca

Cool figure and cool playset, yet a bit underwhelmed at both.

New figure been basically an animated Chris Evans with a new moveset and new playset just a brawler (was expecting something like Takeover but focused on Marvel).

Still getting both.

Oh wait...this means the Battlegrounds is ONLY for Marvel characters?

I just got 3.0 recently and only have Star Wars and Stitch.
Yeah, only Marvel.
Takeover and Speedway allow all characters.

curb

Banned
The new trailer for the second season of Rebels makes me really want a costume disc for Ahsoka
- white lightsabers!

curb

Banned
So there are still four more slots for other Marvel heroes now?

That's great :); means my initial exceptions of Ant-Man, Scarlet Witch, Vision and Quicksilver are still likely to happen hopefully :).

That's the way I read it.

Yeah, either Quicksilver or Black Panther.

It sort of hit me today but I really hope we get backwards compatible play sets with 4.0. Now that they're actually becoming fun to play instead of just a way to level up my characters, I don't want to "lose" access. Or I may start buying the actual games digitally so that I don't need to swap discs out.

Gorki247

I thought they said "including" those three stages. Hopefully it's more than three.

Same here. I already think speedway doesn't have enough tracks and that's a toybox game. Just three levels for a playset would be really disappointing.

MageBoySA

Question for Disney Infinity players. The Wal-mart near me has the 2.0 for S24 on clearance for a starter set. I know you can buy 3.0 game only for 19.99 on PS3. Do you think this would be a good purchase for a Christmas present for kids? They both have birthdays early in the new year for figures as gifts.

TheYanger

Question for Disney Infinity players. The Wal-mart near me has the 2.0 for S24 on clearance for a starter set. I know you can buy 3.0 game only for 19.99 on PS3. Do you think this would be a good purchase for a Christmas present for kids? They both have birthdays early in the new year for figures as gifts.

They'd only be able to do toybox things in 3.0 without a 3.0 playset,so you have to weigh that. For instance I picked up the 3.0 starter despite not needing the base because it was like 52 bucks at best buy this week, effectively putting me at 22 bucks for 2 figures + the set over the normal digital upgrade price.

MageBoySA

They'd only be able to do toybox things in 3.0 without a 3.0 playset,so you have to weigh that. For instance I picked up the 3.0 starter despite not needing the base because it was like 52 bucks at best buy this week, effectively putting me at 22 bucks for 2 figures + the set over the normal digital upgrade price.

Cool, thanks. I'll watch for some holiday/black friday deals. I know we have to somehow get them 3.0 since they'll play the Star Wars things with their father. (The youngest's first movie in theaters was Episode 1 in 3d.)

LaNaranja

I bought Disney Infinity 1.0 at launch along with a second character for each starter set level but after trying Incredibles for like maybe 15 or 20 minutes my brother and I said "meh" and didn't play.

Then 2.0 came out and it was Marvel so we got the set the six main Avengers. Once again, our reaction was "meh." It was too repetitive and easy.

A week or two ago we were really itching to play any Marvel game not named MvC3 so we decided to try Infinity 2.0 again. This time we cranked the difficulty up to the highest level and suddenly it became a lot of fun. The game gets really freaking hard and suddenly the mindless brawler has required a bit more thought as you are dodging monsters that kill you in like two or three hits. I assume we are close to the end of the Avengers playset and so I went out and bought the Guardians playset along with the other three Guardians for $50 (they are on sale at Walmart and Best Buy is price matching).

And with these now of course I have to buy the Spider-Man set. And then after that there is no way I don't get Star Wars. And then I will probably go back to 1.0 to give those playlets another shot. DAMN YOU JOHNNY V!

Also what are the chances we get War Machine? I need a War Machine figure. Some Agents of Shield figures would be great too. I want to play as Ward. And where is Hercules?

TheYanger

I bought Disney Infinity 1.0 at launch along with a second character for each starter set level but after trying Incredibles for like maybe 15 or 20 minutes my brother and I said "meh" and didn't play.

Then 2.0 came out and it was Marvel so we got the set the six main Avengers. Once again, our reaction was "meh." It was too repetitive and easy.

A week or two ago we were really itching to play any Marvel game not named MvC3 so we decided to try Infinity 2.0 again. This time we cranked the difficulty up to the highest level and suddenly it became a lot of fun. The game gets really freaking hard and suddenly the mindless brawler has required a bit more thought as you are dodging monsters that kill you in like two or three hits. I assume we are close to the end of the Avengers playset and so I went out and bought the Guardians playset along with the other three Guardians for $50 (they are on sale at Walmart and Best Buy is price matching).

And with these now of course I have to buy the Spider-Man set. And then after that there is no way I don't get Star Wars. And then I will probably go back to 1.0 to give those playlets another shot. DAMN YOU JOHNNY V!

Also what are the chances we get War Machine? I need a War Machine figure. Some Agents of Shield figures would be great too. I want to play as Ward. And where is Hercules?

Should try the 3.0 melee characters, goes another level beyond. 2.0 had decent basics on harder difficulties, as you've noticed. 3.0 force users have tons of shit, the ranged ones not as much but still a lot more.

That new Cap looks really good, great likeness of Chris Evans and a much better costume than the classic Cap we got for 2.0. But on the other hand, I already have Cap so it feels weird knowing that I'm going to have to pick him up again as part of the playset.

And if he's not just a reskin, and is instead a proper 3.0 character with juggling and pause combos and all that stuff, it's going to be even more worrying. I don't want to see this game go down the Skylanders path where they release improved versions of characters every version of the game and require you to buy them to benefit from the new game's improvements or changes. Sorceror Mickey and normal Mickey are totally different and that's cool by me, but Captain America and Movie Captain America don't strike me as being drastically different characters.

But like I said, at least it looks really good. Definitely the better looking of the two figures.

curb

Banned
So the nuCap comes as part of the Playset? I hope we hear who else does too on Saturday.

Yup. I suspect we'll at least find out who the other play set pack-in is. I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel will make them save some figure announcements until closer to Civil War.

mreddie

So John V. pretty much said that Ant-Man is being saved for the end of the year and it seems it's gonna be based from his Civil War appearance.

curb

Banned
Heck no, now maybe we can get the original Maleficent, both versions of Alice(you know movie will get priority) and so on.
Glad I passed on original because he is way cooler.

Well, I'm speaking only about Marvel really. The new one is better but it's still just Cap. I have a huge list in my head of Marvel figures I'd rather see before MCU semi-upgrades.

So the NYCC DI panel seemed like a bit of a bust. A better look at Battlegrounds yes, but no new figures show. They announced an announcement of at least one Star Wars figure being revealed next week so that's something. All the rumors of a new Force Awakens trailer coming next week makes me think it's a TFA character. Although, at the pace they've been revealing Marvel figures, it could be Sy Snoodles.

As new versions of DI are released I expect reposes/duplicates for the same reason Skylanders does that: they want to provide to the new players the popular characters without the need of chasing old releases. After all, they need to discontinue 2.0 figures, but what if a player new to DI want to use Captain America in Battlegrounds? I know used market is an option, but Disney does not profit anything from it.

nubbe

The whole point of DI is to sell figures, so...

They could start refreshing the DI1 lineup with DI4 since they don't have any of the new fancy stuff
They could update their abilities and remove backwards compatibility, but.. profits

Rootbeer

Banned
meh they could have showed a new figure at NYCC, what a total failure. The Force Awakens set is just two months away is it really too early to show Kylo or whatever other figures they are hiding?

Grimsen

Battlegrounds looks okay, actually.

Was there anything announced for the local multiplayer? 2 players only, or will they have a method for 4-player local? (Two bases plugged in, or a new base)

nubbe

Lets hope there is a "SSB" mode
I want the match to be ongoing until the time runs out
having KO and sit and wait 5 minutes for the game to end blows, also less mayhem and less fun

TheYanger

whoa what? Like, place two on the pad, then your next two?

Something like that, they talked about it briefly at the panel. They've beens aying it was 4p co op the whole time though, that's why they were making a big deal - you could always play 4 player online so that wouldn't have been anything new.

Top Bottom