• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 |OT| Episode 3: The Playset Awakens

So no lightsaber users in the Force Awakens play set. Not sure if that bums me out as a gamer or that none of them will have a lightsaber in the movie.

fernoca

Well, Toys R Us didn't had Speedway out (neither Takeover, but I already got that). Said they weren't sure if they got them or when. Oh well, will use the coupon later on something else.

Gamestop had it, so got it there. Will try it in an hour or two when I get back.

vongruetz

Banned
I picked up Speedway today, and I have to say that I'm pretty impressed. There seems like a decent amount of content and the races are not as easy as they are elsewhere. It's also nice that there's a reason to break out my Cars figures again.

RobbieNick

Got Toy Box Speedway. Man! Sumo digital did not baby this game up. It's tough.

CONTENT: 9 Race courses and one large hub world with stunts around to practice on. There are regular GP races, Battle Races and Ghost races. Each with different difficulties. 50cc, 100cc and 200cc. The medium cup was tough enough on my first try that I had to go down to 50cc top start until I got used to the game. There are three hidden medals on each track around different short cuts but I'm not sure what they are used for. Playing this toy box unlocks a ton of new toys in the Toy Box mode itself.

Overall, these are early impressions but it's pretty awesome so far, even if it's short on content.

I'll post some videos soon.

Grimsen

Ordered The Toy Box Speedway and Anna from 1.0 on amazon, for the kids (and me cough) on christmas.

My son is 4 1/2 and is deep into Sonic racing transformed. He likes DI too, so he's gonna love the speedway.

TheGrue

Didn't even know the Speedway bit was a thing. What comes in the box? Is it a code or a piece to put on the portal? I had gotten a code to get the Toy Box thing for free. If this is a disc, I'll pass.

Stanng243

Didn't even know the Speedway bit was a thing. What comes in the box? Is it a code or a piece to put on the portal? I had gotten a code to get the Toy Box thing for free. If this is a disc, I'll pass.

The takeover was a plastic piece, which came with a code.

vongruetz

Banned
It's beginning to seem like "Infinity as a platform" is finally coming into fruition. The play sets this time around are very diversified. Inside Out is a more relaxed platformer. Speedway is a great cart racer. And Battlegrounds is going to be a SMB/PlayStation All-Stars fighter. I'm curious as to how they handle next year's release. Will they just add to what they have or try something completely new.

Gorki247

It's beginning to seem like "Infinity as a platform" is finally coming into fruition. The play sets this time around are very diversified. Inside Out is a more relaxed platformer. Speedway is a great cart racer. And Battlegrounds is going to be a SMB/PlayStation All-Stars fighter. I'm curious as to how they handle next year's release. Will they just add to what they have or try something completely new.

If they really want it to be a platform, next year's release should still support this year's toy box expansions.

Can we get some info on how Speedway works?

- How many tracks

- What vehicles you can use (and if there are restrictions on who can use what?)

- What modes are there?

- How's online play and what modes are available for it?

RobbieNick

Can we get some info on how Speedway works?

- How many tracks? Nine and a hub with stunts

- What vehicles you can use (and if there are restrictions on who can use what?) Any land vehicles. You can even put down a vehicle disc under the playset.

- What modes are there? Race, Battle Race and Time Trial. Also has GP cups for both race and battle.

- How's online play and what modes are available for it? Looks like online is friends only.

Hope that answers your questions.

A piece for use with the console versions, and a code for the pc version.

curb

Banned
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the code in the Speedway box unlocks it in the mobile Toy Box as well? I was surprised that Takeover was available in the app so I wonder if it's both add-ons.

Can you invite friends to the Speedway hub?

I so wish they would add a Party system next time. I love to play with my buddy, but having to drop a session when we go to the hub is poor form.

If online racing is friends only that kills it for me. I'm starting to get really tired of Infinity's restrictions. :\ I bet the Marvel Battlegrounds will be the same way.

RobbieNick

Can you invite friends to the Speedway hub?

I so wish they would add a Party system next time. I love to play with my buddy, but having to drop a session when we go to the hub is poor form.

Looks like it. Yes.

Is toy box speedway new? I just picked up the original Star Wars play set :)

Both Speedway and Takeover came out today. (Although technically, Takeover was a pre-order bonus and most stores had them left over and was easy to find early.)

fernoca

Really enjoying Speedway. Though I remember someone in here asking a few times if the "Mickey Track from the intro" is in, and I guess...it is not. It even appears during the intro of Speedway again.

There are 9 tracks, which are:
-Agrabah Raceway (Aladdin)
-San Fransokyo Circuit (Big Hero 6)
-Arandelle Racing Rink (Frozen)
-Gravity Falls Mystery Tour (Gravity Falls)
-Road to Knowhere (Guardians of the Galaxy)
-Monsters Mayhem (Monsters Inc.)
-Halloween Town Highway (Nightmare Before Christmas)
-Dunes of Tattooine (Star Wars)
-Sugar Rush Raceway (Wreck it Ralph)

Overall it remimds me a bit to ModNation Racers, with the hub and races. Really well done.

It is also quite hard, even on 50cc the CPU is slamming you just by being close to them, so those getting it just for kids to have fun be aware...a bit of patience and training. :p

RK128

Marvel figures leak

Infinity Inquirer

Of course not who I was hoping for but I guess I'm not surprised. If that's it though, I'm surprised by the
lack of a new female figure

Didn't think we would be getting Black Panther so soon....but its nice that the ones we were expecting mostly was true; Ant-Man was teased for a while and Vision was a given considering Age of Ultron.

But I'm very surprised that we didn't get Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch; Infinity is Disney's advertising platform and if they want to fully show the future of Marvel stuff coming out/already released, then not having your characters starting in the biggest game you have released is....very strange :l.

I guess both couldn't make the cut due to licensing issues with Fox and Disney & Marvel still being spiteful with there relationship with Fox and the X-Men/Fantastic Four IP. They worked something out with Sony, so it is odd they haven't bothered to do the same with Fox. Then again, it seems that Marvel/Disney are on good terms with Sony regarding the Spider-Man IP, so I guess that explains that.

I guess we will be getting our female Marvel characters with 4.0 down the line. Marvel in Infinity is something that just annoys me a bit; you can clearly tell that the developers had no creative freedom with using Marvel IP and obvious things like the Power Disk characters in 2.0 not getting figures (Captain Marvel for example) or the X-Men/Fantastic Four not being part of the 2.0 roster (legal BS aside, X-Men is a huge Marvel IP).

They had a lot of freedom with the Star Wars content and shockingly got a large amount of creative freedom with the Disney/Pixar IP they had access too (and Disney is famous for being protective of their IP).

Is speedway and takeover just a code in the box or a game piece? If it's a code does it just pop up on the toy box menu?

they're both physical pieces, but they do include codes you can redeem like the other playsets and figures for use in iOS/Android/PC versions of the game

It works like any other playset piece, you can load it up all the same ways

ant-man, vision, and black panther all make sense considering Civil War. I bet we see a lot of female figures added in 4.0, since Wasp, Captain Marvel, etc all seem to be obvious picks and they haven't done them yet. Plus they did just recently announce 'Ant Man and The Wasp' which is another movie slotted into their schedule to follow up on Ant Man so they'll want her out for that

mreddie

But I'm very surprised that we didn't get Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch; Infinity is Disney's advertising platform and if they want to fully show the future of Marvel stuff coming out/already released, then not having your characters starting in the biggest game you have released is....very strange :l.

I guess both couldn't make the cut due to licensing issues with Fox and Disney & Marvel still being spiteful with there relationship with Fox and the X-Men/Fantastic Four IP. They worked something out with Sony, so it is odd they haven't bothered to do the same with Fox. Then again, it seems that Marvel/Disney are on good terms with Sony regarding the Spider-Man IP, so I guess that explains that.

I guess we will be getting our female Marvel characters with 4.0 down the line. Marvel in Infinity is something that just annoys me a bit; you can clearly tell that the developers had no creative freedom with using Marvel IP and obvious things like the Power Disk characters in 2.0 not getting figures (Captain Marvel for example) or the X-Men/Fantastic Four not being part of the 2.0 roster (legal BS aside, X-Men is a huge Marvel IP).

They had a lot of freedom with the Star Wars content and shockingly got a large amount of creative freedom with the Disney/Pixar IP they had access too (and Disney is famous for being protective of their IP).

I wonder if Scarlet will have a big impact for War marketing wise.

RK128

I wonder if Scarlet will have a big impact for War marketing wise.

If her not being part of 3.0 is any indication, she will have minimal marketing when the movie comes out.

Black Panther, Ant-Man and Vision are all in Civil War (plus the 3.0 Cap figure having a MCU design), so it makes since to have a lot of Marvel heroes that are having a role in the Captain America film to star in 3.0.

Just strange that Scarlet Witch, the one female character Marvel would put into the game, is likely not going to pop up until 4.0 next fall.

And with the Disney and Star Wars sides having a number of female characters, it just makes the Marvel portion of 3.0 seem.....strictly boy-centeric, which was a problem with the Marvel roster with 2.0 (only Black Widow and Gimora.....thats it for female heroes; and the other female heroes like Wasp, Captain Marvel and White Tigger were just NPC's/Power Disks).

Again, this just highlights how Marvel was and still is the low hanging fruit of the Infinity series; just thrown into the mix due to Disney owning it but Marvel refusing to give Disney and the developers enough creative control to do what they want with the many Marvel IP's that are out there.

mreddie

If her not being part of 3.0 is any indication, she will have minimal marketing when the movie comes out.

Black Panther, Ant-Man and Vision are all in Civil War (plus the 3.0 Cap figure having a MCU design), so it makes since to have a lot of Marvel heroes that are having a role in the Captain America film to star in 3.0.

Just strange that Scarlet Witch, the one female character Marvel would put into the game, is likely not going to pop up until 4.0 next fall.

And with the Disney and Star Wars sides having a number of female characters, it just makes the Marvel portion of 3.0 seem.....strictly boy-centeric, which was a problem with the Marvel roster with 2.0 (only Black Widow and Gimora.....thats it for female heroes; and the other female heroes like Wasp, Captain Marvel and White Tigger were just NPC's/Power Disks).

Again, this just highlights how Marvel was and still is the low hanging fruit of the Infinity series; just thrown into the mix due to Disney owning it but Marvel refusing to give Disney and the developers enough creative control to do what they want with the many Marvel IP's that are out there.

Yeah, they did say they were gonna beef up the Widow marketing for War but yeah, Marvel is still boy centric which what Disney thinks of them, just for boys. And it slowly makes me mad.

4.0 might be a issue because we would only have Strange and someone else.

mreddie

For those who missed it since it seems certain sites are getting takedowns.
CRQHX_OUwAAMG4H.jpg:large

curb

Banned

I get not having the X-Men because of the apparent Fox lockout but the rest of it makes no sense to me. Spider-Man worked out because they based it on Marvel's animated series though so it benefited Marvel mostly.

Yeah, they did say they were gonna beef up the Widow marketing for War but yeah, Marvel is still boy centric which what Disney thinks of them, just for boys. And it slowly makes me mad.

4.0 might be a issue because we would only have Strange and someone else.

I think Disney knows their audience for Infinity. I've quotes from JV over and over again before launch about how strong their female fanbase is. I think Marvel sees this game as being boy-centric and that's why they're only letting DI have male characters.

I think it's part of a larger Marvel problem though as Star Wars and Disney have much better representation. We saw the whole "where's Black Widow" thing around Age of Ultron. Widow got around the same amount of merch and recognition as Hawkguy did and I think that's telling. Black Widow along with Hawkeye and Nick Fury, are secondary heroes. You can see how most of their branding for Avengers merch is the "core four" superheroes. I think one of their biggest problem right now is the lack of a powered female characters that can be in the same league as Iron Man and the Hulk. Maybe with Wasp being on the title for the Ant-Man sequel along with Scarlet Witch being an Avengers and Captain Marvel coming that will change.

I get annoyed with Marvel though since they'll do incredibly PR-friendly comic books with females and minorities but they seem deathly afraid of doing the same thing with their movies. Doing a comic book series is so much lower risk but it really shows you where their priorities are.

vongruetz

Banned
I've been playing the Toy Box Speedway since yesterday and while it feels really good... is it just me, or is it really hard?? I'm doing the Grand Prix on 50cc, and despite racing nearly flawlessly, I'm only able to just eek out a first place finish. I figured it would be like MarioKart and 50cc meant you were practically lapping the guy in last place. I've also noticed that the AI seem to be very aggressive. They're not afraid to slam into you and knock you off the road constantly.

Anyone else enjoying the difficulty in the Speedway?

MrMephistoX

I've been playing the Toy Box Speedway since yesterday and while it feels really good... is it just me, or is it really hard?? I'm doing the Grand Prix on 50cc, and despite racing nearly flawlessly, I'm only able to just eek out a first place finish. I figured it would be like MarioKart and 50cc meant you were practically lapping the guy in last place. I've also noticed that the AI seem to be very aggressive. They're not afraid to slam into you and knock you off the road constantly.

Anyone else enjoying the difficulty in the Speedway?

I am for sure but it would be good to have an easy mode too for kids. Did that Mickey level from the intro not make the cut? Wonder if its unlock able. Hope we'll get some cool racing levels in the Toybox too.

RK128

I get not having the X-Men because of the apparent Fox lockout but the rest of it makes no sense to me. Spider-Man worked out because they based it on Marvel's animated series though so it benefited Marvel mostly.

I think Disney knows their audience for Infinity. I've quotes from JV over and over again before launch about how strong their female fanbase is. I think Marvel sees this game as being boy-centric and that's why they're only letting DI have male characters.

I think it's part of a larger Marvel problem though as Star Wars and Disney have much better representation. We saw the whole "where's Black Widow" thing around Age of Ultron. Widow got around the same amount of merch and recognition as Hawkguy did and I think that's telling. Black Widow along with Hawkeye and Nick Fury, are secondary heroes. You can see how most of their branding for Avengers merch is the "core four" superheroes. I think one of their biggest problem right now is the lack of a powered female characters that can be in the same league as Iron Man and the Hulk. Maybe with Wasp being on the title for the Ant-Man sequel along with Scarlet Witch being an Avengers and Captain Marvel coming that will change.

I get annoyed with Marvel though since they'll do incredibly PR-friendly comic books with females and minorities but they seem deathly afraid of doing the same thing with their movies. Doing a comic book series is so much lower risk but it really shows you where their priorities are.

I feel that Marvel as a whole in terms of Infinity was just a forced element to try to get money out of the MCU content releasing around that time (plus cashing in on the Spider-Man cartoon). They didn't want a lot of heroes and locking off the X-Men/Fantastic Four IPs away limits character roster picks outside of their Marvel Cartoon Shows (Agents of Smash, Spider Man, Avengers) and MCU characters (Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: Winter Solder, Gardians of the Galaxy, Age of Ultron, Ant-Man, ect).

That is okay, but that limits the amount of female super heroes you could put into the game. Wasp, Captain Marvel, White Tiger, the Inhumans and more could of popped up in 2.0 and 3.0, but they didn't.

And that goes into the lack of X-Men, which have a TON of female heroes to use. Jean Grey, Shadow Cat, Rouge, Psylock, Storm, X-23, and even Scarlet Witch (which they have no legal-reason NOT to put into 3.0, as they could use the MCU version of her without the stupid Fox ban getting in the way). But nope, don't work something out with Fox to have one of your biggest IP's back in your hands again in the media.

...Going on topic again, its nice that the Speedway content is sizable. A number of tracks, a great level of challenge and lots of rides to mess around with. A great deal for 20 bucks for Infinity owners looking for a fun kart racer this fall :).

Top Bottom