• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 |OT| Episode 3: The Playset Awakens

Best Buy had 3.0 figures Buy 3, Get 1 Free at launch ($8.40 each after GCU), then in September they had a promo of Buy 2, Get $5 off ($9.20 each after GCU) when the store exclusive figures saw wide release. There's really no reason to ever pay full price for Infinity figures, they're on sale quite often.

Or the sets/bundles for that matter. The ps4 saga bundle with Boba Fett dropped from 115 to 89 about 3 weeks after launch.

Got my Han & Chewie, and Best Buy got me with an impulse buy on Toybox Speedway and 3 2.0 Superhero Power Disc Packs, as they were on sale for $1.60 after GCU. Amazingly, 4 of the 6 discs were ones I didn't have. A landscape piece, Gamora's space armor costume, Ant-Man teamup, and the best of all, the Infinity Gauntlet! Was really pleased with that.

Do we know if that Best Buy sale is today only? I don't see it in their weekly ad so I don't know if it's an all-week thing or not.

Probably is all week. My Best Buy had printed labels for every peg showing the sale price, probably wouldn't have done that for a single day sale.

ghibli99

Man, that BB GCU sale... bought Han, Chewie, Vader, and Mulan.

I finally beat my first Play Set (Twilight of the Republic), and I really enjoyed it. Lots of content, but not an overwhelming amount. Game in general is just fun to pick at and do a few things here and there each time. I noticed that if I put my PS4 into Rest Mode and then come back to this game later, the graphics glitch out pretty regularly until I close it and relaunch it. Not a big deal, but it's the only game I have that seems to do this.

Sounds like the Light FX figures are limited and permanent retailer exclusive (in North America).

Ugh. Awful news. I suspect that there will still be enough produced to fill most of the demand, if not all, but making them all retailer exclusives makes them all more expensive. I was planning to use Best Buy GCU to at least get them for 20% off, but I guess that's only gonna work on Anakin now. And there's practically zero chance Gamestop, TRU or Walmart would ever discount their exclusive figure. This is going to be far pricier than I had hoped...

curb

Banned
Ugh. Awful news. I suspect that there will still be enough produced to fill most of the demand, if not all, but making them all retailer exclusives makes them all more expensive. I was planning to use Best Buy GCU to at least get them for 20% off, but I guess that's only gonna work on Anakin now. And there's practically zero chance Gamestop, TRU or Walmart would ever discount their exclusive figure. This is going to be far pricier than I had hoped...

It is cruddy news. In a way I get why it's done but it becomes such a hassle.

I hope they do better in Canada than last time too. We just didn't get Sabine at all until the exclusivity window since Target pulled out of the country. Hopefully they'll have a different solution for Yoda.

It honestly makes me question whether I even want to do the Light FX figures. I guess I'll probably purchase Yoda, at least I'll get the 5% Target Red Card discount, and check out how good the effect is. If it's weak, I'll just get the vanilla versions on sale for half the price.

curb

Banned
It honestly makes me question whether I even want to do the Light FX figures. I guess I'll probably purchase Yoda, at least I'll get the 5% Target Red Card discount, and check out how good the effect is. If it's weak, I'll just get the vanilla versions on sale for half the price.

I've already got the regular versions of each of them so I feel no real desire to have to work to get the Light FX versions. Now, if they had a light up Ahsoka, then I'd care.

@Disneyinfinity just tweeted that they are hosting a mini event tonight!

LA fans! Join us at the @ElCapitanThtre tonight for a new look at Star Wars: #TheForceAwakens & #DisneyInfinity 3.0

Force Awakens playset details????

During my silly 2 week ban my girlfriend and I picked up two Hulkbusters at Comic Con, bought the rest of the 2.0 figures we needed, bought the remaining 1.0 figures we wanted (fuck Lone Ranger) and most importantly...completed the power disc collection. We now have every 1.0 Series 1-3 and 2.0 disc.

Here's the thing...I have a lot of extra DI shit piling up.
2 extra platform/portals
Random Davey Jones figure
About 100 double (sometimes triple) Power Discs. (Including the good stuff like circle/power/costume/team up/AOE discs, the hexagon toy/weapon vehicle discs and the bane of my OCD-ness the terrain and skybox discs)

I feel like I should just give these to someone here on GAF.

I will gladly take some of your power discs for the cost of shipping plus a bit extra for your trouble. I have most of the 1.0s, a good number of the 2.0 superhero ones, and a handful of the 2.0 Disney Classics. PM me if you're interested.

fenners

During my silly 2 week ban my girlfriend and I picked up two Hulkbusters at Comic Con, bought the rest of the 2.0 figures we needed, bought the remaining 1.0 figures we wanted (fuck Lone Ranger) and most importantly...completed the power disc collection. We now have every 1.0 Series 1-3 and 2.0 disc.

Here's the thing...I have a lot of extra DI shit piling up.
2 extra platform/portals
Random Davey Jones figure
About 100 double (sometimes triple) Power Discs. (Including the good stuff like circle/power/costume/team up/AOE discs, the hexagon toy/weapon vehicle discs and the bane of my OCD-ness the terrain and skybox discs)

My kids are getting Marvel 2.0 & Star Wars 3.0 for Christmas. If you've got spare discs for Marvel, I'd be happy to pay shipping etc. It'd make a great stocking stuffer.

curb

Banned
I played a little bit more Speedway last night. I think I'm doing alright at 50cc as I only have a couple more tracks to get gold in. That AI is really aggressive though. It's weird to be driving along and then get sideswiped out of the blue by Groot.

curb

Banned
Surprisingly I think I like the Clone Wars playset better despite my love for the OT.

I think I've said it before but while the OT play set has the nostalgia factor, it's full of a lot of busy work that gate progress. The Clone Wars play set has a better overall arc to it as it's a bit more story driven. I like the OT set but fetch quest-y stuff drags it down a bit for me.

That being said, I love the space combat stuff in the OT set. I keep replaying the Death Star II battle because it's so much fun.

Ugh....I love this game so much, but the multiplayer is so basic when it works.

They REALLY need to just let you party up and go anywhere in the game together. Right now it's just not a fun way to spend the evening with an online friend.

I want so much for this game. <3

El_Cinefilo

Just ordered the 2.0 starter pack as a birthday present for my son but I think I'm just as curious to try it out myself, If he digs it I might get 3.0 for christmas.

I do have a few of questions though..

• When it says Star Wars characters can cross over into different playsets in 3.0 and Marvel characters can in 2.0 with tokens, Are they in game tokens you can earn? Dlc? or a physical token you have to buy?
  • Have they said any justifiable reason why playsets aren't forward compatible? It's frustrating that If iI wanted to try for example the Toy Story one I'd have to buy the 1.0 software too
  • How's the Toy Box community? are there a lot of decent levels out there? can you use any character in community levels or is it dependent on what the creator sets it to?
  • Is it pretty safe that characters will always be forwards compatible? they're not likely to get to 4.0 and say 2.0 forwards are compatible and so on are they?

TheYanger

Just ordered the 2.0 starter pack as a birthday present for my son but I think I'm just as curious to try it out myself, If he digs it I might get 3.0 for christmas.

I do have a few of questions though..

• When it says Star Wars characters can cross over into different playsets in 3.0 and Marvel characters can in 2.0 with tokens, Are they in game tokens you can earn? Dlc? or a physical token you have to buy?
  • Have they said any justifiable reason why playsets aren't forward compatible? It's frustrating that If iI wanted to try for example the Toy Story one I'd have to buy the 1.0 software too
  • How's the Toy Box community? are there a lot of decent levels out there? can you use any character in community levels or is it dependent on what the creator sets it to?
  • Is it pretty safe that characters will always be forwards compatible? they're not likely to get to 4.0 and say 2.0 forwards are compatible and so on are they?

- It's just tokens you find in game. In 2.0 playsets you need to get 10 of that character to unlock them for that playset, in 3.0 playsets it's just 1 token and there are more characters.

-The reason is just to keep the older stuff relevant and due to disc space constraints, I think.

-Toy box community is good. There have always eben plenty of levels, some of it is a bit spartan, but for a kid they tend to find a lot of fun just running around doing random shit in them.

-I think that's a safe bet, personally. Some of the 1.0 characters aren't as interesting, but the actual gameplay stuff for each character is on the disc/in the install, so they can change if they truly need to, for example the marvel battlegrounds playset is going to modify 2.0 characters as needed to make them more suited for a fighting game environment/differentiate them better.

LaNaranja

Keep in mind that not all Marvel characters crossover to every playset, only a handful of them.
  • Iron Man and Nova work in every Marvel playset.
  • Hulk works in Avengers and Spider-Man.
  • Rocket Raccoon works in Guardians and Avengers.
That is the extent of the crossovers. Every other Marvel character only works in their specific playset. I recommend poking around the official website to get a better understanding of who works where. They do all work in the toy box expansion discs which I believe come with the starter set. They aren't particularly deep but they are fun.

Keep in mind that not all Marvel characters crossover to every playset, only a handful of them.
  • Iron Man and Nova work in every Marvel playset.
  • Hulk works in Avengers and Spider-Man.
  • Rocket Raccoon works in Guardians and Avengers.
That is the extent of the crossovers. Every other Marvel character only works in their specific playset. I recommend poking around the official website to get a better understanding of who works where. They do all work in the toy box expansion discs which I believe come with the starter set. They aren't particularly deep but they are fun.

In Marvel Battlegrounds, all Marvel characters work. :)

El_Cinefilo

Thanks for then answers, I've already caved and bought the 3.0 upgrade with the Inside Out pack before my 2.0 starter pack has even arrived

Also...
Yeah but people need to keep in mind that Marvel Battlegrounds is an arena fighter thing ala Powerstone and not a normal story-driven playset

As a huge Powerstone fan this sounds amazing!

Target cartwheel is 50% off toybox expansions. Speedway and takeover are $10 each.

Nice. I impulse bought at Best Buy the other day for $16 after GCU, but then felt like I should have just waited for a sale and returned it. $9.50 at Target after Red Card savings sounds good enough to me, though!

Top Bottom