• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 |OT| Episode 3: The Playset Awakens

Ludist210

Anyone on Wii U want to help me boost the two Toy Box Expansion feats tonight around, say, 9:00 central? It's just play a race (Speedway) and defeat a boss with four players (Takeover). It should only take around 10 minutes.

My NNID is Ludist210. Just need three people to help me out. Plus it'd be fun to play through some of the Toy Box Takeover together.

Got my Target's last copy of Toybox Speedway for $10 after the awesome Cartwheel 50% off. Tried to get one of the Star Wars Disc packs with it too, but it didn't scan. Ah well, worth trying!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Both SW Playsets
Inside Out Playset
Toybox Takeover

All of the IO Figures
Olaf
Yoda
Obi

I got Obi prerelease and the boy child wanted Yoda. Trying to wait on some of the light up figures so I don't double buy like Darth Vader.

Looks like we get some character reveals soon!

CSbfE-IWsAQ3YeK

mreddie

How do vehicles work in this/infinity in general; Do figures come with a vehicle associated with them or are all the vehicles power discs and what you unlock in the games?

If you have the power disc for one and the rest, you have to buy on the Toy Box store once you have the sparks, the Tron vehicles are the most expensive.

Jawmuncher

So I have a question. 3.0 is now on steam, however I was wondering for those who have bought the level packs. How do they work? For example would this Web Code card give me the entire level pack or just the characters?

Isomac

So I have a question. 3.0 is now on steam, however I was wondering for those who have bought the level packs. How do they work? For example would this Web Code card give me the entire level pack or just the characters?

I would think it gives the playset too, like in 2.0 on PC.

Edit: Yep. My PS4 starter pack (2 characters and the Star Wars campaign) is unlocked after logging in to Disney account.

FYI, next week's Best Buy ad has $5 off when you buy 2 Infinity characters, and Hulkbuster, Ultron, & Darth Maul all release on Tuesday.

I'll probably pick up Hulkbuster and Darth Maul myself. They'll come out to about $9.20 a piece after GCU.

Chuckpebble

Guys. I've been ignoring this stuff for too long. Wife and I are looking to get this for the kids but I walked around Toys R Us looking at packages and now my head is spinning.

Some of the 2.0 characters that we wanted were on sale so we nabbed 4 of those. I'm going to finally buy a WiiU to go with this, but I held off because I have a few uncertainties.

I've seen the compatibility chart, and I understand that some things are not going to work with the 3.0 version of the game. I don't know what a playset or a toybox means exactly, but I'm sure I can figure that out on youtube. What I want to know is if its possible to get the base station without a starter pack. We're not interested in Star Wars.

I guess worst case, I'm hunting down a 2.0 set and then I can download 3.0 from the eShop in the future...

Guys. I've been ignoring this stuff for too long. Wife and I are looking to get this for the kids but I walked around Toys R Us looking at packages and now my head is spinning.

Some of the 2.0 characters that we wanted were on sale so we nabbed 4 of those. I'm going to finally buy a WiiU to go with this, but I held off because I have a few uncertainties.

I've seen the compatibility chart, and I understand that some things are not going to work with the 3.0 version of the game. I don't know what a playset or a toybox means exactly, but I'm sure I can figure that out on youtube. What I want to know is if its possible to get the base station without a starter pack. We're not interested in Star Wars.

I guess worst case, I'm hunting down a 2.0 set and then I can download 3.0 from the eShop in the future...

You will need a base to play, all versions work with all versions. You can even buy one used at stores.

Then you will need the digital version of the latest game.

If you find a deal better to grab a starter pack that comes with the base, 2 figures and a playset.

There are 2 main modes in Disney Infinity:

- ToyBox mode: a creation tool. Think Minecraft with some triggers/logic to build up games (not so extensive as LBP however). You can build your world or download the ones shared by the community. Huge selection available. But to build you have to unlock the pieces playing other modes. All figures (1.0, 2.0 and 3.0) are compatible with the latest version.

- Playsets: think a reduced licensed game with that characterers, a level pack if you will. Only specific figures works with each playset, mainly the ones from that franchise.

Other than that there are also toybox minigames sold separately.

In 3.0:
- all figures will work in ToyBox mode.
- all star wars figures works in all star wars playsets, but you will need to find a token inside the level for a character that originally do not belong to that playset (i.e. play as obi Wan in the original trilogy).
- all Marvel characters will work in the upcoming Marvel playset, which is a PowerStone clone.
- only Inside Out figures work in Inside Out playset.
- no previous playsets from 1.0 and 2.0 will work.
- 2.0 toybox mini-games do not work.
- there are 2 new toybox minigames: Takeover (gauntlet like, all figures work minus the Cars ones) and Speedway (mario kart like game made by Sumo Digital, all figures work).
- there are

Chuckpebble

Thanks so much for your response. I'm guessing I want to get a used base then, and then I'll be getting the 2.0 version to get the most out of these characters that we bought already. Guess I'll go check out the previous OT for a bit.

Thanks so much for your response. I'm guessing I want to get a used base then, and then I'll be getting the 2.0 version to get the most out of these characters that we bought already. Guess I'll go check out the previous OT for a bit.

2.0 digital version is not available in all consoles. I think it is on WiiU, but check it first.

There is no reason to pick 2.0 unless you want to play 2.0 playaets, and there are three, all Marvel related. 3.0 is vastly improved.

2.0 Starter packs should be pretty cheap, I think they were $20 some weeks ago. Besides the game and base, they come with 3 figures and a playset (Marvel pack) or 2 figures (Disney pack).

Plus keep in mind that you need a base compatible with your console if you are buing it used. PS3/PS4/Wii/WiiU are compatible, Xbox 360 and Xbox One each use its own.

El_Cinefilo

I'm in England so I don't know if they do similar offers over there but I just picked up the 2.0 starter pack dirt cheap (£12) which comes with a base, the 2.0 software, An Avengers playset and 3 figures (Iron Man, Black Widow and Thor) and then a lot of places here are doing an offer where you can buy the software upgrade to 3.0 for £10 when you buy a 3.0 playset (Like Inside out) and a free figure of your choice with it too.

Seemed like the best way for me, Now I've got a base, 2.0, 3.0, a bunch of characters and two playsets for under £50

Has anyone been playing this on Steam? Is there a way to skip the tutorial when you start up the game without watching the cutscene and then quitting from the pause menu?

robotrock

Banned
How does the PC version work? If I don't own Disney Infinity 3.0 on PS4, can I go out and buy a physical playset, and then redeem the webcode and play it on PC?

Otheradam

Gamestop has 50% off 3 or more 1.0 and 2.0 pre-owned figures when you buy 3 or more right now. Just picked up 3 figures for about 18 shipped.

How does the PC version work? If I don't own Disney Infinity 3.0 on PS4, can I go out and buy a physical playset, and then redeem the webcode and play it on PC?

Each playset or figure comes with a card with a webcode, which you can redden in game.

You do not need the figure, and the webcide is useless if you only play the console versions, so a lot of people sell them cheap on ebay for a profit.

The Win10 version has 4 random weekly free characters you can play, the selection rotates each week.

How does dying work on the console versions? I'm playing on Steam and I've activated the Twlight of the Republic Playset. I got to the fight with General Grievous but, every time one of my characters died, I had to use a different one or spend 1000 sparks to revive someone. Is this how it's supposed to work or is the Steam version too close to a fee-to-pay model?

TheYanger

How does dying work on the console versions? I'm playing on Steam and I've activated the Twlight of the Republic Playset. I got to the fight with General Grievous but, every time one of my characters died, I had to use a different one or spend 1000 sparks to revive someone. Is this how it's supposed to work or is the Steam version too close to a fee-to-pay model?

On consoles you can't even spend sparks, you have to take your figure off and put someone else on.

That's a shame. It did was to go back to a checkpoint that was quite far from Grievous but it turns out that there weren't any enemies on the way so it wasn't too bad. I feel bad for buying Yoda, partly to get another 'life', but I'm really enjoying it otherwise.

Chuckpebble

Alright, I think I'm going with 3.0.
Can I run my inventory by y'all just so I can figure out what this amounts to?
-WiiU
-Replacement base off of Amazon
-3.0 download off of eShop
-4x 2.0 characters
-Inside out playset

So my question is, is the star wars campaign part of the game, or is it explicitly unlocked with star wars characters?
If it is wrapped into the 3.0 download, is that campaign playable with my non-Star Wars characters?
I guess I'm really just trying to figure out what I'm missing out on by avoiding the starter pack.

Again, thanks in advance for your help.

curb

Banned
-WiiU
-4x 2.0 characters
-Inside out playset

So my question is, is the star wars campaign part of the game, or is it explicitly unlocked with star wars characters?
If it is wrapped into the 3.0 download, is that campaign playable with my non-Star Wars characters?
I guess I'm really just trying to figure out what I'm missing out on by avoiding the starter pack.

I can't speak to all of it but I think the 3.0 download is $20 USD for the rest of the year on Wii U. Star Wars content is contained within separate Play Sets and only Star Wars characters are playable within them.

So that would be $35 USD for a SW play set plus $20 for the download. The Starter Pack has gone on sale some but I don't know which is more economical currently.

zatara

Is this worth it if all you will play is the story based modes? The gf and I played all the sky landers and just liked leveling up and playing the story. We aren't interested in toy box at all, is the main game stuff a decent length with playtime?

Christopher

I hate to bother you guys again but any deals on what was just released you'd think you'd have deals while the iron was hot you know...?

El_Cinefilo

With regards to power discs, The round ones you just lift your character off the base and put them underneath and put the character back on top?

With team up discs, for example if I have the Yondu team up can I just use that in the guardians of the galaxy playset or can you use them anywhere?

Same goes with the hexagonal ones, Can I just use them in the Toy Box? Can I not use My spider bike disc in the toy box speedway?

Edit: Also just out of curiosity, is the data for characters all on the Infinity Game disc/Download and unlocked with the figure or is it actually stored on something in the base of the figure?

-WiiU
-4x 2.0 characters
-Inside out playset

As curb said, you'll miss out on the Star Wars campaign by not getting the starter set which comes with the game, a base and the Twilight of the Republic Playset.
Is this worth it if all you will play is the story based modes? The gf and I played all the sky landers and just liked leveling up and playing the story. We aren't interested in toy box at all, is the main game stuff a decent length with playtime?
I think that it will be worth it just for the story levels. I've only played a couple of hours but it feels like a great Star Wars game because the music and voice acting really draws you into the world. The gameplay reminds me of the Lego games but you can make it harder, if you want a challenge, which is a welcome difference. I was sceptical about this whole thing but I've ordered two 3.0 Playsets, a 2.0 Starter Set and two more 3.0 figures in the last couple of days.

So how's the OT Star Wars set? My little sister is just starting to get into the movies and I thought it could be fun to play together. How far in do you find the Ahsoka token? That's her favorite SW figure so far (though I have a feeling Leia will replace her).

Also: Speedway has local split screen racing right?

My understanding is that the gameplay in the Clone Wars set (Twilight of the Republic) is better than the OT one because the latter can rely a bit much on fetch quests. I tried the PC demo of both sets and my impressions were that the Clone Wars set would be better than the OT one, if you take out the nostalgia factor. That being said, I'm planning to pick up the OT set once I'm done with the Clone Wars set because it still sounds like a great experience and I enjoyed the flying section in the PC tutorial.

I already have (and beat) the Clone Wars set so it's not an either/or thing. Mostly just a question of if its fun. I want to pick up Luke and Leia either way but some more specific impressions would be nice I guess? I don't mind the side-questy stuff as long as it's entertaining.

Christopher

I already have (and beat) the Clone Wars set so it's not an either/or thing. Mostly just a question of if its fun. I want to pick up Luke and Leia either way but some more specific impressions would be nice I guess? I don't mind the side-questy stuff as long as it's entertaining.

Hoth and collecting the currency was absouelty not fun in anyway

Rootbeer

Banned
I have Darth Maul, Spot and the Good Dinosaur disc pack arriving today.

Saving Hulkbuster and Ultron for a future sale. Trying to cherry pick going forward and saving close to half of the figures for sales/clearance as I mostly only use a handfull of favorite characters in the actual game, though I do want to get all of them eventually at the right price.

curb

Banned
I didn't find the OT play set to be too bad but I also played it in short sessions over a longer span of time. The tasks can definitely get repetitive though. The nostalgia balanced it out for me. Oh, and the ship levels are great. It has a lot of good points to me.

Edit: just got my shipping notification from Amazon for my Hulkbuster and Maul. Should be here tomorrow. I don't even want to play as Hulkbuster but that figure just looks so great.

Top Bottom