• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 |OT| Episode 3: The Playset Awakens

Stanng243

I'm already seeing "Low Stock" for Obi-Wan at several GameStops near me. Either they didn't get full shipments in, or these things really are limited, at least to some extent.

EDIT:

Oh, and FYI, the $5 off when buying two DI figures at Best Buy works on Light FX Anakin as well, so that helps a lot, given everyone already has one from the starter set.

Thank you for this. you just saved me some money.

I pick up 2.0 version of Xbox One, and thinking the upgrade to 3.0 would be either really cheap (or better yet free) but man $29.99 for digital when you can pick up physical starter pack for $39.99 is just make no sense. I was hoping they would make this type of games into a platform instead of yearly release and you just pick and choose the "story pack" and characters that you want, which would go a long way into keeping the early stuffs from going obsolete.

My daughter has no interest in Star Wars so I was hoping to just buy Inside Out bundle on Amazon but having to also fork out another $30.00 for 3.0 software is just too much that or spend $39.99 (which I should have done now that the price is back up). Well may be next year.

I pick up 2.0 version of Xbox One, and thinking the upgrade to 3.0 would be either really cheap (or better yet free) but man $29.99 for digital when you can pick up physical starter pack for $39.99 is just make no sense. I was hoping they would make this type of games into a platform instead of yearly release and you just pick and choose the "story pack" and characters that you want, which would go a long way into keeping the early stuffs from going obsolete.

My daughter has no interest in Star Wars so I was hoping to just buy Inside Out bundle on Amazon but having to also fork out another $30.00 for 3.0 software is just too much that or spend $39.99 (which I should have done now that the price is back up). Well may be next year.

Unfortunately Microsoft are being stupid with their DI digital pricing. Both PS and Nintendo have 3.0 discounted to $20 until early next year, and PS even has a sale on it right now for $15. But Microsoft won't budge from their $30 price. Dumb.

Picked up Obi-Wan. I was able to light it up with NFC on my phone.
d7FYI2i.png

Unfortunately Microsoft are being stupid with their DI digital pricing. Both PS and Nintendo have 3.0 discounted to $20 until early next year, and PS even has a sale on it right now for $15. But Microsoft won't budge from their $30 price. Dumb.
I will see if I can go exchange it for PS4 version. Thanks, 14.99 is more palettable or better yet make this into a platform where it constantly get free updates and all the play set will always work. Looking at that flowchart in the OP just give me a headaches. Maybe MS just salty Sony bough up all the exclusive.

I picked up the deal at Best Buy on the 3.0 Starter Pack on Black Friday, then saw all the Sales between BB and TRU, and I've ended up with a lot of figures, and a 2.0 Starter Pack too!

If I pick up the 3DS 1.0 Starter Kit, does anyone know if I'll be able to use the Play Set Piece with the Wii U version? I know the figures will work, but want to just confirm that that'll work as well. If so, it'd be a swell deal since it's just $15 with GCU, and it'd mean I have all three versions!

fernoca

I picked up the deal at Best Buy on the 3.0 Starter Pack on Black Friday, then saw all the Sales between BB and TRU, and I've ended up with a lot of figures, and a 2.0 Starter Pack too!

If I pick up the 3DS 1.0 Starter Kit, does anyone know if I'll be able to use the Play Set Piece with the Wii U version? I know the figures will work, but want to just confirm that that'll work as well. If so, it'd be a swell deal since it's just $15 with GCU, and it'd mean I have all three versions!
With the 1.0 version on Wii U, yeah. In the others, it just unlocks stuff. But 1.0 is free on Wii U (eShop).

The 3DS version is a really bad game tough. But 3 figures and the playset for $15 is nice.

With the 1.0 version on Wii U, yeah. In the others, it just unlocks stuff. But 1.0 is free on Wii U (eShop).

The 3DS version is a really bad game tough. But 3 figures and the playset for $15 is nice.

Oh sweet! I mean, ugh, my wallet is going to hate me for ordering another item! I sense only more danger because of my love for Disney movies and the like... And here I thought Amiibo were bad! >_<

But yeah, it's a great deal. I can't imagine the damage if I paid msrp for all the 1.0 and 2.0 stuff I've bought in the last couple days...

fernoca

Oh sweet! I mean, ugh, my wallet is going to hate me for ordering another item! I sense only more danger because of my love for Disney movies and the like... And here I thought Amiibo were bad! >_<

But yeah, it's a great deal. I can't imagine the damage if I paid msrp for all the 1.0 and 2.0 stuff I've bought in the last couple days...
Yeah. I decided to buy less Skylanders and Infinity things, because of amiibo.
Doing fine with Skylanders, just getting the ones I want.

But then, Disney figures are so great, Star Wars too..at least I find the Marvel ones a bit "meh"...

Then there's Lego Dimensions.

Yeah. I decided to buy less Skylanders and Infinity things, because of amiibo.
Doing fine with Skylanders, just getting the ones I want.

But then, Disney figures are so great, Star Wars too..at least I find the Marvel ones a bit "meh"...

Then there's Lego Dimensions.
I have a Skylanders set I got as a gift (Swap Force Dark Edition) But the characters didn't really draw me in, and I'm probably gonna try to get rid of it somehow.

Disney drew me in with those, and my only complaint is the art style of the figures and how different they can look from the original characters. It a nice look, and is a great way to bring all these different worlds together seamlessly, it just takes getting used to. :/

As for Lego Dimensions, that reminds me a lot of the fun I had with Lego Star Wars back in the day, and it's really cool to see them being together so many properties. The price tag is the only thing turning me off there... :/ (Is there something I'm missing, or is it really just standard Lego minifigs with NFC bases?)

So I picked up a Light FX Obi-Wan from GameStop, and I am totally not digging the bloated size of the saber hilt. I think I may return it and just buy the regular, non-FX versions of these figures.

Of the three so far, I find LEGO the most enjoyable as far as game play.

I think Lego Dimensions has the most solid 'game' center, which makes sense as they've been making those games for like 10 years now. But it also feels like, of the three, it's the one where your character choices matter the least. They just unlock little collectables here and there and otherwise don't matter much. It's still good though. I want to see how they expand this as it grows into it's own thing in the future.

The Skylanders games have been improving over time (the first game was kind of bland but they're pretty respectable now and the newest one has a great look to it) and they have the biggest roster of characters but of the three I feel like they're the most condescending to kids. They just made the big mistake that the Lego games make sure to avoid, and that's appealing exclusively to children to the point of alienating their parents(or in my case older siblings) who might want to play the game too. Which isn't really a problem for the franchise itself, I don't want to come across like I'm being all "this kids game should appeal to me, the adult playing the game" because that's ridiculous but I think there's still room for improvement and it's biggest strength is the game's roster size and variety.

Side-note: Where the heck is the Skylanders cartoon series? Way overdue by now and a very natural fit for introducing new characters and gimmicks each season alongside the new games.

Disney Infinity by comparison to those two is, I think, the most 'complete' package in terms of having good character variety and lots of stuff to do. The only issue is that there's no built-in 'use anyone' storyline core to the game like Lego Dimensions has. But the content creation tools and huge amount of free player-generated content available make up for that to some degree. They're leveraging Disney's properties really well though and I'm looking forward to seeing the series continue to improve over time. 4.0 is pretty highly anticipated for me just because it'll be the first release that's theoretically not centered around one of their big pillars so we could see something new and neat there.

I'm really glad that all three Toys To Life games are pretty fun to play though.

Anybody want to get on and try to do some of the arcade games for the trophy? The waiting for player screen is killing me

Edit: I'll be in the que for 'Endor Rally'

I think Lego Dimensions has the most solid 'game' center, which makes sense as they've been making those games for like 10 years now. But it also feels like, of the three, it's the one where your character choices matter the least. They just unlock little collectables here and there and otherwise don't matter much. It's still good though. I want to see how they expand this as it grows into it's own thing in the future.

The Skylanders games have been improving over time (the first game was kind of bland but they're pretty respectable now and the newest one has a great look to it) and they have the biggest roster of characters but of the three I feel like they're the most condescending to kids. They just made the big mistake that the Lego games make sure to avoid, and that's appealing exclusively to children to the point of alienating their parents(or in my case older siblings) who might want to play the game too. Which isn't really a problem for the franchise itself, I don't want to come across like I'm being all "this kids game should appeal to me, the adult playing the game" because that's ridiculous but I think there's still room for improvement and it's biggest strength is the game's roster size and variety.

Side-note: Where the heck is the Skylanders cartoon series? Way overdue by now and a very natural fit for introducing new characters and gimmicks each season alongside the new games.

Disney Infinity by comparison to those two is, I think, the most 'complete' package in terms of having good character variety and lots of stuff to do. The only issue is that there's no built-in 'use anyone' storyline core to the game like Lego Dimensions has.

I'm really glad that all three Toys To Life games are pretty fun to play though.

The negative you mention of the Disney Infinity is probably what really bring the game down for me. By having everything gated off in their little area is really a big turn off and half of what make these toys to life games fun. Trap Team Skylanders killed what excitement I have and I almost skip this year because everything is locked away in that game. I am glad they make the current one more accessible.

After having a pile of these figures in the bin and constantly having to repurchased new version, I sort of appreciate the LEGO model where only the base matter and you can use your LEGO well for LEGO construction. I don't know what the plan is for Dimensions next iteration but I really don't like how the playet in Disney Infinity is limit to the previous game. I haven't play extensively with Disney game but of the three the game just seems to be most restricted of where your characters can be use. In Skylanders, my figures from the very first game can still function in the latest iteration.

Has anybody got light up Vader? Toys R Us website says expected to ship the 15 but that's really close to Christmas for me. I wonder if it's in stores yet.

Has anybody got light up Vader? Toys R Us website says expected to ship the 15 but that's really close to Christmas for me. I wonder if it's in stores yet.
I think only Anakin, Yoda, and Obi-Wan are out. I pre-ordered Vader online since the closest TRU is about 50 miles away so I'll update any shipment info. I think Luke comes out on Sunday.

broz0rs

I was just about to buy a 2.0 disc off of eBay for $15, but then I found out about these Walmart deals

Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes (2.0 Edition) Video Game Starter Pack (PS4) $29.99

Disney Infinity: Disney Originals (2.0 Edition) Toy Box Starter Pack (PS4) $19.99

Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes (2.0 Edition) Starter Pack with Bonus Figure (XBox One, XBox 360, Wii U only) $29.96

I think the only catch is that shipping will take roughly two weeks. I purchased the Disney Originals and it's scheduled to arrive on 12/21

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Guys i need help i just brought the star wars 3.0 starter set. So how do i play the marvel stuff etc

You can use any character in the Toy Box mode or the expansions like Toy Box Takeover and Toy Box Speedway. The Marvel characters don't work in the Star Wars Play Set that comes with the Star Wars starter pack but they will work in the upcoming 3.0 Play Set called Marvel Battlegrounds. Infinity 2.0 has Play Sets like The Avengers and Spider-Man which will let you play with Marvel characters.

Whatever you do, you'll need to scan in the figures of the Marvel characters that you want to play as. If you're playing on PC, you just need to add the web code to your account.

You can use any character in the Toy Box mode or the expansions like Toy Box Takeover and Toy Box Speedway. The Marvel characters don't work in the Star Wars Play Set that comes with the Star Wars starter pack but they will work in the upcoming 3.0 Play Set called Marvel Battlegrounds. Infinity 2.0 has Play Sets like The Avengers and Spider-Man which will let you play with Marvel characters.

Whatever you do, you'll need to scan in the figures of the Marvel characters that you want to play as. If you're playing on PC, you just need to add the web code to your account.

Worth mentioning that only Avengers characters work in the Avengers set, only Spider-Man characters work in the Spider-Man set and only Guardians Of The Galaxy characters work in the GotG set. There's 'crossover tokens' you can collect to enable some of them to work in eachother's sets but that only enables like two or three extra heroes per set, not all of them. But that's all 2.0 stuff that's not relevant to 3.0 owners.

2.0 was weirdly restricted even though it was all Marvel stuff. The new Star Wars sets for 3.0 do this much better, allowing you to unlock all SW characters in all the SW sets.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member

So in the main game of 3.0 is star wars only if i understanding correct. But the marvel n disney figures from 2.0 can be used in toy box mode. Im on xbone

Ah, I didn't know that 2.0 wasn't as free within play sets, like 3.0 is. It's a shame because I was hoping to use Venom in the Avengers set.

The main game in 3.0 is pretty much Star Wars. We know about 5 play sets (i.e. campaigns), three of which are out now. You can buy two different Star Wars and an Inside Out play sets/campaigns now and a new Star Wars play set should come out at the same time as the movie. There will be a Marvel play set/campaign (called Marvel Battlegrounds) but there isn't much information about it.

Takeover is definitely worth it, fun to play and a great way to use all your figures to do some new stuff. There's even an endless randomized dungeon generator thing for when you're finished with the story stuff.

Speedway is fun but is lacking some really important stuff (online matchmaking multiplayer). It also kind of relies on you having unlocked vehicles in playsets or the toybox to use if you want any kind of variety beyond choosing your character. I find younger kids have trouble with understanding the drift->boost->drift->boost->etc flow of the racing and it's not anywhere near as forgiving as the Mario Kart series is on it's lower difficulties.

I like Speedway but it's got problems, basically. Pick it up if you can get it for like $10 but I wouldn't get it for full price. Takeover is totally worth it though.

What are the chances of me getting Syndrome or Violet for less than $15? I'm tempted to get both used at Gamestop with their Buy 2 Get 3 Free deal. (Along with Spider Man, Hawkeye, and Anna)

hawk2025

I'm seeing a bunch of third-party sellers on Amazon are selling the play sets "crystals" for $5-$10 or so.

Is this a decent approach?

For example, I have the two Star Wars characters from the Starter Pack. Can I play the OT playset with them just by putting in the $10 crystal, rather paying $35 for the set that comes with the Luke and Leia figure?

Christopher

I'm seeing a bunch of third-party sellers on Amazon are selling the play sets "crystals" for $5-$10 or so.

Is this a decent approach?

For example, I have the two Star Wars characters from the Starter Pack. Can I play the OT playset with them just by putting in the $10 crystal, rather paying $35 for the set that comes with the Luke and Leia figure?

Sure but do you have figures who can play in the play set?

hawk2025

Sure but do you have figures who can play in the play set?

I have Captain America, Rocket Racoon, and the two Star Wars figures that came with the starter set for 3.0.

So to play 2.0 sets:

- I need a 2.0 disc/digital download
- I need a play set crystal. With the figures I have, I can play the Avengers and the GoG sets, but not Spider-Man

To play 3.0 sets other than the included Star Wars one:
- I can play the other Star Wars playset with the disc, since all Star Wars characters work across the board
- I CANNOT play Inside Out unless I buy at least one Inside Out character

Does all of that sound right?

fernoca

I have Captain America, Rocket Racoon, and the two Star Wars figures that came with the starter set for 3.0.

So to play 2.0 sets:

- I need a play set crystal. With the figures I have, I can play the Avengers and the GoG sets, but not Spider-Man

- I can play the other Star Wars playset with the disc, since all Star Wars characters work across the board

Ehr... :p
You can play Avengers with Captain Anerica, Guardians of the Galaxy with Rocket Raccoon.

You still need a few things. For example:
-In the original trilogy Star Wars, you outside the playset piece you also need at least one figure from the original trilogy. Because as you play, you find character coins tbat let you use non-original trilogy characters on the game.

-For Inside Out, you need the playset and a figure.

So basically, it comes down to...
Playset + 1 original figure from that playset = you can play.

And yeah. For 1.0 playsets you need the 1.0 game, 2.0 needs 2.0 and 3.0 go with 3.0.

broz0rs

So to play 2.0 sets:

I've purchased Infinity quite recently myself. Asides from the advices given on GAF, this IGN guide helps a lot.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/disney-infinity/Play_Sets

Target is having a Buy 1 get 50% off on the 2nd on all DI figures. I still need 8 figures frim 3.0. Is there a better deal or better incoming sale?

hawk2025

Got it, so I can't just start the OT playset with the non-OT Star Wars characters, I need an actual OT character.

Might as well buy the Playset bundles then :p

Thanks!

Top Bottom