• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 |OT| Episode 3: The Playset Awakens

Couldnt pass up that TRU sale.
Bought all the force awakens stuff and those B tier prequel cartoon characters.

Also.. My girlfriend wanted the light up Vader, so now I have to get that whole set. Didnt want to!!

are the lightsabers on the light fx figures supposed to blink?

Real annoying if thats how its supposed to be

-Edit-
Nevermind..they stay solid without power discs. Even more annoying!

Rey with the bow staff is the best playing of the bunch. Finn just has a punch, but at least his gun is rapid fire.

I really enjoy ranged characters so I immediately loved Finn. It's crazy how fast he shoots after maxing out his ranged abilites. His special is kind of indistinguishable from his standard ranged (like Han) but it does a lot of damage.

hitmon

I'm new the DI series. Can anyone confirm if it's possible to use Kylo on the older Star Wars playsets or do you need the newer playset?

Smidget

I got on that $12 deal from BB for 2.0 starter pack with Stitch and Merida. I bought 3.0 digitally and have the Empire pack. Is there any reason to ever play 2.0 again? Unless I get the Marvel level packs that were made for 2.0?

mreddie

I'm new the DI series. Can anyone confirm if it's possible to use Kylo on the older Star Wars playsets or do you need the newer playset?

All SW characters can be used in the SW playsets, I dunno if they added the crossover coins for the Force characters though.

All Star Wars characters are playable across all Star Wars sets..you just need to find the character token, in game.

So for Kylo..if you want to play as him in the Prequel or Original Trilogy playset you have to find that little coin that allows him to be played.

fernoca

So there's a Mario Galaxy-like planet (in TFA) with timed missions. Don't know what they unlock since they're kinda hard. XD

But the whole sphere like look is always cool. :p

EDIT:
Not as hard as I thought, but the one to shoot the flying probes yoy have to be nearly perfect at shooting to get them in 2 minutes.

hitmon

All SW characters can be used in the SW playsets, I dunno if they added the crossover coins for the Force characters though.

All Star Wars characters are playable across all Star Wars sets..you just need to find the character token, in game.

So for Kylo..if you want to play as him in the Prequel or Original Trilogy playset you have to find that little coin that allows him to be played.

Thanks guys, I'll keep an eye out for it. I've only started playing the one with the characters from the Clone Wars and so far I've only encountered Darth Maul's token/coin.

broz0rs

I haven't seen the movie yet or played the game, but does the storyline of the game spoil or reveal major plots of the movie at all?

fernoca

I haven't seen the movie yet or played the game, but does the storyline of the game spoil or reveal major plots of the movie at all?
Well, haven't finished yet. But so far is an abridged version of the movie. Haven't reached parts of big plot points from the movie, but at the moment is like a summary of it.

Were Rise Against the Empire summarized 3 movies in one playset, this one summarizes just one.

EDIT:
Having just finished, there are no major plot points in the game. It will spoil some locations, and some things, but without the explanations and characters it doesn't make sense.

Desert planet, ice planet, jungle planet? Only not in that order?
They're similar in gameplay more than just locations. A bit more varied too. There are more areas inside locations, than outside.

Anyway, will list them spoiler-tagged just in case.
The main areas are:
Jakku: Desert planet and open to explore.

Hans Solo's cargo ship: Can only be accesed during the main game. Area wuth lots of crates and rooms to battle enemies.

Takodana: A more normal planet with even an area with water to explore around.

Starkiller Base: Another one that can only be played during the story. A base with a ton of platforming and enemies.

Then there's the space were you can trigger some side-missions and do some things on the aforementioned "sphere/Mario Galaxy like planet". This vary depending on the main planet you're close by.

There are also some arcade-y games you unlock.

Berzerkiymc

Neo Member
So I know absolutely nothing about Disney Infinity.

What would I need to start with? Can I just buy playset 3? would I need the originals? is it possible to just go digital?

Only interested in the star wars content

I got on that $12 deal from BB for 2.0 starter pack with Stitch and Merida. I bought 3.0 digitally and have the Empire pack. Is there any reason to ever play 2.0 again? Unless I get the Marvel level packs that were made for 2.0?
I picked up 2.0 after 3.0 and I think that the level packs are the only reason to go back to 2.0. You can unlock items for the Toy Box mode with 2.0 characters in 3.0 by just scanning the figures. You can't play the 2.0 Play Sets in 3.0, only 2.0.

What would I need to start with? Can I just buy playset 3? would I need the originals? is it possible to just go digital?

It's best to get a starter pack at first because you'll need an Infinity board to scan the figures to unlock content. This will give you the board, the Twilight of the Republic Play Set (which is my favourite so far) and a copy of the game. You can go digital as the game is on each consoles web store but you'd still have the disc version if you buy the starter pack, though you can trade it in.

If you'd prefer to go digital, you could buy the Infinity board separately, as the PS3, PS4 and Wii U ones are all compatible with each other, and then pick up the Play Set that you like and the game. Xbox One and Xbox 360 Infinity boards will only work with their own console i.e. a 360 board won't work on anything but a 360. There's no difference between the Infinity board that comes with 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0

If you're playing on PC, you can just get the Play Sets because you unlock content with the web codes that come with each Play Set or figure. I'm playing on PC so, if you have any spare web codes, I'll be sure to give them a good home :)

If by originals you mean Infinity 1.0 and 2.0, no you don't need them. The 1.0 and 2.0 games are the only place to play the 1.0 and 2.0 Play Sets but the characters cross over and can all be used in 3.0. You can also unlock items for the Toy Box mode in 3.0 by scanning 1.0 or 2.0 figures but you can play all of 3.0 with just 3.0 characters so you should be set with just the 3.0 starter pack, Play Sets and figures..

fernoca

EDIT: Red just posted a bit before, but still... :p

If you're only interested in the Star Wars content, and will play on a game console:
-Buy the Starter Pack, which includes the USB base and Twilight of the Republic playset (based on Clone Wars) along Anakin and Ashoka. Some stores has been selling this for $40, retails for $65. Since you need the USB base for everything in consoles, including the digital version, this is the best deal to get started.

-The Rise Against the Empire playset is based on the original trilogy and includes figures of Luke and Leia, along the piece that allows you to play.

-The Force Awakens playset is based on the new movie and includes figures of Rey and Finn, along the piece that allows you to play.

If you're on PC, you don't need the USB base; but everything is purchased digitally. The Toy Box, the digital figures, the playsets, etc. You can also use the codes included with the figures.

Berzerkiymc

Neo Member
wow thanks a ton guys!

Didn't realize it was on PC as well, that's my primary platform so I'll get it there.

Is it on steam? edit! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! OMG downloading now!!!! yayyyyyyyyyy this is so epic!

Even if you play on pc, where you can buy everything digital, I would recomend you to get the physical figures. It is cheaper than digital (digital is $15 each, TrUs has a sale right now where all figures are $9) and you ger the PC code plus a cool figure (that you can sell for profit if you want to).

Berzerkiymc

Neo Member
Only thing is im from Trinidad, so the shipping rates might be a bit insane. Will check local stores to see if they are available. not seeing the characters to buy in steam store tho.

Acquiring the base game on steam now.

Only thing is im from Trinidad, so the shipping rates might be a bit insane. Will check local stores to see if they are available. not seeing the characters to buy in steam store tho.

Acquiring the base game on steam now.
There are a few character packs on Steam, as well as the starter set and Play Sets. I'd recommend checking out the in-game purchases once you've loaded the game as it will probably be cheaper to buy the characters there, given the crossover between the packs on Steam. Check eBay as well for web codes to unlock characters and Play Sets.

Berzerkiymc

Neo Member
cool thanks for the updates guys!

took the free steam version for a spin. fun stuff, but really disappointed there is no co op multiplayer.

pondering the force awakens playset still cause my star wars jimmies are severely rustled.

WatTsu

Not particularly - the playsets are the only thing you'd need 2.0 around for.

Berzerkiymc

Neo Member
just got the twilight of the republic for 9.95 on ebay. you guys rock btw. thanks for the heads up.

now to get force awakens and rise against the empire for around the same price.

What is considered cheap?

just got the twilight of the republic for 9.95 on ebay. you guys rock btw. thanks for the heads up.

now to get force awakens and rise against the empire for around the same price.

I am seeing right know the Rise Against the Empire + Luke and Lea for $6.78; the Twilight of Republic + 2 figures for $ 4.25 and some characters for $1.50 each. Just search for "Disney Ininity 3.0 code" and sort by lower value.

ngower

Okay, I understand this conversation is basically going on in this thread as we speak, but just to make sure I'm doing it right: If I were to get the PS4 3.0 starter set (the one with the five figures), that's the best way to get started, right? I'd have the I-VI content and if I get the Force Awakens play set I'd have that game as well? Or is there a cheaper way to jump in to all the Star Wars content? Just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly before I throw $100 at Star Wars toys haha.

fernoca

Okay, I understand this conversation is basically going on in this thread as we speak, but just to make sure I'm doing it right: If I were to get the PS4 3.0 starter set (the one with the five figures), that's the best way to get started, right? I'd have the I-VI content and if I get the Force Awakens play set I'd have that game as well? Or is there a cheaper way to jump in to all the Star Wars content? Just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly before I throw $100 at Star Wars toys haha.
Technically, yeah...but the only content of the prequel trilogy is during the Clone Wars, so is basically a bit of Clone Wars + a summary Episodes IV/V/VI.

Then with TFA playset you have a quick summary of TFA and 2 figures.

It will depend on offers and what you want.

For example:
Right now Toys R Us has an offer on which if you buy a Starter Pack and a Playset, you save $25. The Saga bundle is $115, and the playsets are on sale for $25. So you could get the Saga bundle and TFA playset for $115 (+taxes).

They also had a sale with the Starter Pack for $40 until yesterday. So for $90, it was everything of the Saga bundle except Bobba Fett.

It depends on the current offers.

ngower

Technically, yeah...but the only content of the prequel trilogy is during the Clone Wars, so is basically a bit of Clone Wars + a summary Episodes IV/V/VI.

Then with TFA playset you have a quick summary of TFA and 2 figures.

It will depend on offers and what you want.

For example:
Right now Toys R Us has an offer on which if you buy a Starter Pack and a Playset, you save $25. The Saga bundle is $115, and the playsets are on sale for $25. So you could get the Saga bundle and TFA playset for $115 (+taxes).

They also had a sale with the Starter Pack for $40 until yesterday. So for $90, it was everything of the Saga bundle except Bobba Fett.

It depends on the current offers.

Hm. So about how long is each playset's "campaign?" Just trying to figure out if it's worth waiting a bit for a better deal? Also, I have GCU so I could get everything for like $120 without any sales.

fernoca

Hm. So about how long is each playset's "campaign?" Just trying to figure out if it's worth waiting a bit for a better deal? Also, I have GCU so I could get everything for like $120 without any sales.
The main stories on each are really short (under 5 hours), the summaries per se are a bit bad though. The original trilogy is the worse offender if this because they summarize 3 movies in there. TFA summary is also bad if you watched the movie, sincce it shows that they weren't allowed to make anything around the big plot points of the movie.

But that's the story. I didn't played them for that. They're fun and fast, there are a ton of collectibles too. But don't expect anything huge. The games are short but intended to be replayed to unlock more things and items to use in the Toybox. Also a blast to play with kids, or just people that don't play many games.

In the end,it will depend on how much you want the figures. To me they were worth it and the games were fun.

hitmon

So after getting the DI 3.0 Saga bundle and playing the Twilight of the Republic, I've fallen down the money pit with the sales. What do you guys use to store the various figures and power discs after opening them?

I have to admit the details of the figures are pretty nice.

fernoca

So after getting the DI 3.0 Saga bundle and playing the Twilight of the Republic, I've fallen down the money pit with the sales. What do you guys use to store the various figures and power discs after opening them?

Figures in here:
Crappy picture! said:
phUjlqY.jpg
(amiibo are in another one)

Skylanders, Disney Infinity, Lego Dimensions (etc.).
The respective portals at the top of each.

Infinity is in the middle. Disney characters on the first one (only characters I like), Star Wars in the second one (all current ones), Marvel figures (just 4) along all current playsets in the third.

The power discs are just...there (in the third one with the playsets). Don't collect them much, was planning on putting them on a bimder inside some plastic sheets, or something.

Walmart has a Christmas ornament holder, it's a plastic double decker with cardboard inserts, for $8.78. There are two different layouts for the cardboard inserts, one with 9 large partitions (perfect for Hulkbuster, Venom, etc.), the other with 16 medium partitions that are perfect for 95% of Infinity figures. It's the best thing I've found thus far to organize and store my collection.

I still have to make a display or sonething for my figures. Early on skylanders I had some shelves, but I ran out of space. Since the original Spyro's Adventure I have 250+ skylanders, all Disney Infinity and I just started Dimensions...

curb

Banned
The main stories on each are really short (under 5 hours), the summaries per se are a bit bad though. The prequel trilogy is the worse offender if this because they summarize 3 movies in there. TFA summary is also bad if you watched the movie, sincce it shows that they weren't allowed to make anything around the big plot points of the movie.

Do you mean the Original Trilogy playset? The prequels playset isn't a summary of anything as it's an original story that's really tied more to the Clone Wars show than the prequels movies.

fernoca

Do you mean the Original Trilogy playset? The prequels playset isn't a summary of anything as it's an original story that's really tied more to the Clone Wars show than the prequels movies.
Yeah, meant original trilogy ...fixed it. :p
Even in the previous post didn't made that mistake, explaining about it.

witness

I'm trying to figure out how I can play split screen vs with my wife. All the menus and hubs are confusing for someone new to the series. We just want to fight against each other as Kylo and Rey. Is there a mode like this that I'm missing somewhere?

fernoca

I'm trying to figure out how I can play split screen vs with my wife. All the menus and hubs are confusing for someone new to the series. We just want to fight against each other as Kylo and Rey. Is there a mode like this that I'm missing somewhere?
Not sure if it's like this on every console, but on Wii U you just put the figure of player #2 in the second slot, then press start on the controller while playing on any playset or in any Toybox.

If you want to fight against each other, you either need to download a Toybox that allows to do so, create one, or just create an empty Toybox and beat the hell out of each other (though noone will earn experience in an empty one).

The playsets are co-op, not versus. Only the upcoming Marvel playset allows versus...but only Marvel figures at the moment.

How is this game shaping up now? I was into it upon release keeping up with the thread, but I haven't bought it yet and with all the deals going now, I may jump in. BUT, Marvel 2.0 was ultimately a shallow experience IMHO, so I'm not going to be bitten twice( though admittedly, the 10 year old is coming out upon seeing the new movie last night, so at the least I may pick up a few of the figures for desktop ornaments.).

How is this game shaping up now? I was into it upon release keeping up with the thread, but I haven't bought it yet and with all the deals going now, I may jump in. BUT, Marvel 2.0 was ultimately a shallow experience IMHO, so I'm not going to be bitten twice( though admittedly, the 10 year old is coming out upon seeing the new movie last night, so at the least I may pick up a few of the figures for desktop ornaments.).

Vastly improved over 2.0 edition, I will recommend checking it.

If you liked the concept of 1.0 or 2.0 but thought it felt kind of flimsy, shallow, or underwhelming you should give 3.0 a try for sure. Big improvement over the rest of the series, especially with stuff like Toy Box Takeover being available.

curb

Banned
Now that I've spent lots of time with Battlefront I'd say that DI 3.0 is the best Star Wars game I've played in quite a while.

Amneisac

Well, I bought this at launch, didn't really think it was worth the price at the time, mostly because I've never watched Rebels, and most of the available characters were from that show. I also don't care for the Toy Box stuff, just like the Play Sets and more structured things.

So I returned it to Amazon, but they didn't want the Toybox Takeover pre-order back so I sold it for $25 on eBay (was hard to find at the time).

Now, after seeing TFA, I'm back in! I picked up the Starter Pack for $32.50 at Target and I had a $25 gift card.

I picked up the other two Star Wars playsets and Toy Box Takeover with a free Han Solo (giving away a free character with Toy Box Takeover at BBY today only) for $72.

So basically for $100 I got all the Star Wars Playsets, Toy Box Takeover, and Han Solo.

Not bad!

First off...our collection has outgrown this case. We are trying to find something to offload the Amiibos to. Might have to put those guys in another room.

I have every 1.0 and 2.0 Power Disc.

For 3.0, since they eliminated the blind packs I will only buy the discs along with the figures we collect..so in the case of Inside Out or Good Dinosaur or Zootopia since we don't want those figures, we don't buy the discs. The thinking there is if I ever decide to get them it will be real easy to find and buy the box of discs then tracking down individual ones on ebay like I had to do for 1.0 and 2.0. I am playing the futures market on Power Discs. I already regret giving my friends nephew all 50 of my doubles. In 10 years someone may be looking for the Finding Nemo skybox!

The Marvel shelf is good for now..zero room once the new figures drop in the Spring.

The Star Wars shelf is also the "live action movie" shelf and I hate that. I never wanted the Pirates figures, my girlfriend bought them, and now I'm stuck with them.

The "animated movie" shelf sucks. It's so cramped, I just don't have any room to space them out. Somewhere hidden in the back are the Cars figures.

Bonus: Smash Amiibos...the only ones I collected. I am still missing 6, plus the Classic Mario from Mario Maker. (We also have the Splatoon amiibos)

And here's the case:

Don't know anything about this, but I see the Disney Infinity 3.0 Star Wars Saga Bundle is going for $80. Is that a good deal or should I get the starter pack for $30 and go from there? Also how many playsets are there?

Top Bottom