• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 | Review Thread

scitek

Is 3.0 going to be on Steam? I'd actually be more interested since it's all digital. Did the previous game(s) ever participate in Steam sales?

Soulez

Neo Member
Dammit. Preordered the special PS4 one from Best Buy online, and the preorder bonus is showing as back ordered and holding up my shipment.

That shouldn't be holding up your order, as I've had the PS4 LE delivered to the house about an hour ago. The preorder bonus, is back-ordered for me also.

I'm still confused why there are limitations on which characters can be used where when dimensions has no limitations at all.

Disney being over protective. Plus it would be a development/testing hell as The characters are introduced. They already mentioned that theplaysets were build with certain characters in mind (i.e. The Cars playset would not work with caracters that can jump).

We still not know all about how Dimensions Will work. For sure there is a main story mashup were all characters are allowed, but what about the expansions?

Destructoid's review is up. They gave it an 8.5.

They also explain how the character unlock system will work for playsets.

Destructoid said:
Additionally, Disney is boasting that all Star Wars characters are compatible with all Star Wars Play Sets, which helps (albeit partially) solve the issue of having a bunch of toys that don't work, similar to how the Marvel worlds functioned. You still have to earn tokens to unlock the use of other characters, but they're more easily accessible, and you only need to find one rather than a series of them.

So it's essentially the same as the Crossover Coins from 2.0, except you only need to find a single coin for each character, instead of the 10 needed in 2.0. Still kinda frustrating there is any barrier at all, but it's progress.

Also, another positive review for the Toy Box Takeover mode:

Destructoid said:
If you pre-order the game, you'll also net the Toy Box Takeover Play Set, which really should have been included in the base package for everyone. It's essentially Diablo, Infinity style, and you can use every character in the game. It's far more fun than "Escape from the Kyln" in 2.0 as it contains a procedurally generated dungeon in it as well as a host of fixed story levels, and will last you roughly three hours. Some purists are probably seething at the idea of fighting Darth Maul to the tune of Gitchee Gitchee Goo, but I'm completely okay with it, and I assume your kids will be too.

Big Brett

Just reserved the Star Wars Saga bundle for PS4. I'm really excited about this. Looks like a proper game, with amazing looking figures. What's the toy box mode all about?

OneUh8

This kinda stinks the pre order bonus is backordered. I will be picking up my pre order copy on Sunday. Hopefully they have them available.

So now that the game is officially out in the EU, is anyone making a Disney Infinity 3.0 OT? Or does it need to be released in NA before the OT goes up?

wipeout364

I have bought the last two games for my kids and generally speaking they have been duds with them. Not sure what is wrong with infinity but they just don't enjoy playing the games that much. I was hoping the marvel one would be awesome but they barely played it. They seem much more taken with skylanders and minecraft; which infinity feels like a mash up of. I will wait on this till the inevitable steep discounts next year and pick up skylanders for Christmas. I am glad to hear the combat is tightened up as it always felt floaty to me in the previous games.
Sadly try as I might I have not been able to get them interested in Star Wars( I feel old).

2.0 was the worst game I bought last year but still had moments. I was sold on this when the gameplay was first shown, looked way better (thanks to Ninja Theory) as did the vehicle stuff (thanks to Sumo). So happy this is reviewing well, getting my Saga bundle on Sunday.

I'm confused. I keep seeing you get the Toy Box Takeover with a pre order (Amazon has it, Destructoid mentions it in the review etc), but I see nothing of the sort on Best Buys website when I add it to my cart. Is it not included anymore? Does it simply not show it and I'll get it anyway?

Edit: I guess you no longer get it from Best Buy and it's normally $20 extra dollars for it. Guess I'll be buying this cash grab used. God damn that's disappointing.

Edit 2: Wait I think I'm wrong I found an ad on Best Buys site that shows you do get it if you pre order. Whew. I was really upset too. I guess they'll just email a code?

Edit 3: Wait again...on their site for the toy box takeover it says "place your toy box expansion game piece on the disney infinity base to instantly jump into the action of an all-new, full featured game. What the fuck? Can anyone clarify what is going on here?

Last Edit: It's removed now. There is no Best Buy pre order bonus now even though they advertise it. It should show up in your cart when you pre order, but it does not. Fucking hell. Super pissed about this. I got excited after looking at reviews and now I'm not buying it because instead of just including the toy box takeover with the game they had to make it a fucking pre order bonus that doesn't even work.

BraXzy

Getting either 2 or 3 for my little brother today. Not a clue what to do. He would prefer all the marvel players from 2.0 but I'd prefer future proofing with 3.0.

What's my best option? It sucks that players aren't backwards compatible. I'm thinking get 2 for now, then in the future I can buy just the game disc of 3 right and use the same base?

Getting either 2 or 3 for my little brother today. Not a clue what to do. He would prefer all the marvel players from 2.0 but I'd prefer future proofing with 3.0.

What's my best option? It sucks that players aren't backwards compatible. I'm thinking get 2 for now, then in the future I can buy just the game disc of 3 right and use the same base?

My opinion: Do not buy DI 2.0. I thought it sucked and my kid never plays it. It just isn't fun.

I would get 3.0. All the 2.0 marvel characters are compatible with the 3.0 Marvel playset, which is based on Age of Ultron. You'd only be missing out on 2.0's playsets, Avengers, Spiderman and Guardians of the galaxy, which IMO you're not missing much. Avengers and Spidey is based in NYC and pretty much identical as far as environment, and Guardians while offering a different setting isn't anything too special.

And by various accounts, the Star Wars sets offer much better gameplay which was pretty shallow in 2.0. I would get 3.0 at this point.

Stanng243

You can get 2 a lot cheaper. And the portal will work for 3. In the US, you can get 3 digitally for 20$ on playstation.

Certinty

2.0 is complete trash. Given the reviews for 3.0 already, get that.

BraXzy

I would get 3.0. All the 2.0 marvel characters are compatible with the 3.0 Marvel playset, which is based on Age of Ultron. You'd only be missing out on 2.0's playsets, Avengers, Spiderman and Guardians of the galaxy, which IMO you're not missing much. Avengers and Spidey is based in NYC and pretty much identical as far as environment, and Guardians while offering a different setting isn't anything too special.

And by various accounts, the Star Wars sets offer much better gameplay which was pretty shallow in 2.0. I would get 3.0 at this point.

Wait there's an Age of Ultron playset? Is that an add on? Or part of the base game? Not seen anything about that.

SpotAnime

This was the biggest problem with 1.0, and still seems to plague the series (from the Kotaku review):

A struggle that continues through to the game’s interaction with the player. I don’t know whether it’s because the game is trying to cram too much stuff in or can’t think of a better way to present it, but there are just too many damn menus in Disney Infinity 3.0. At the front end, yes, but also in the game itself; this is supposedly for kids, but it’s packing a skill tree that wouldn’t look out of place in a Japanese brawler on the PS2, along with a menu system that’s drab, unintuitive and way too reliant on text.

How am I supposed to buy a game my kids can enjoy when they can't consistently navigate through what the game offers? Why DI keeps going with this convoluted menu system is beyond me.

Plus, I've played my share of Star Wars and Marvel games. The real allure is to make a magical experience for my kids using the deep, historic back catalog of Disney characters and franchises. Still no Seven Dwarves? After three games? No Jungle Book, Winnie the Pooh or even Lion King? Damn, Square Enix is making better Disney games than Disney themselves.

I wish they just went the Skylanders model and made a good, solid game using Toys. Instead they make a bunch of smaller, inconsistent game experiences wrapped around a complex Toybox mode. I pay them to make good games, I shouldn't have to pay them for me to make games when clearly they can do better.

Mrcapcom

You can get 2 a lot cheaper. And the portal will work for 3. In the US, you can get 3 digitally for 20$ on playstation.

Am I right to assume its the same for Wii U? right now I have tons of characters for 2.0 and the game and base. If I can just grab 3.0 for 20 then I can let my kids play the toybox until I get them actual 3.0 figures and play sets

Wait there's an Age of Ultron playset? Is that an add on? Or part of the base game? Not seen anything about that.

http://marvel.com/news/video_games/...s_more_team-up_in_disney_infinity_3.0_edition

"Additional Play Sets offering distinct gameplay and environments will include a Disney•Pixar Play Set based on the upcoming film "Inside Out," a Marvel Play Set featuring Hulkbuster Iron Man, Ultron, and other Marvel characters, and a fifth Play Set available this winter based on Star Wars™: The Force Awakens™".

That's all I can find at the moment...

MattyG

Banned
So what's the deal with this and past games? I'm getting the Boba Fett bundle, but will the I be able to play Marvel levels in 3.0 too, or will I have to buy 2.0 as well?

So what's the deal with this and past games? I'm getting the Boba Fett bundle, but will the I be able to play Marvel levels in 3.0 too, or will I have to buy 2.0 as well?

The characters from 1.0 and 2.0 work in 3.0 but I'm not sure of the levels/play sets are also backwards compatible

Anyone?

Stanng243

Am I right to assume its the same for Wii U? right now I have tons of characters for 2.0 and the game and base. If I can just grab 3.0 for 20 then I can let my kids play the toybox until I get them actual 3.0 figures and play sets

Yes, that should work.

The characters from 1.0 and 2.0 work in 3.0 but I'm not sure of the levels/play sets are also backwards compatible

Anyone?

No, the levels don't work in 3.0. Although putting them on the base may unlock toys for use in the toybox. That's what 1.0 playsets did in 2.0.

MattyG

Banned
No, the levels don't work in 3.0. Although putting them on the base may unlock toys for use in the toybox. That's what 1.0 playsets did in 2.0.
Will the base that comes with 3.0 work with 2.0? I want to go back and play the Marvel playsets, and I can probably find just the 2.0 disc and started playset for cheap.

Stanng243

Will the base that comes with 3.0 work with 2.0? I want to go back and play the Marvel playsets, and I can probably find just the 2.0 disc and started playset for cheap.

Xbox 360 and Xbox one only work on their individual consoles. The PS3/PS4/Wii/Wii U portal is interchangable. At least it was in 2.0.

3.0 has a Marvel themed playset, Hulkbuster/Ultron. 2.0 playsets( and playsets in general) are locked to the version of the game they launched with( 1.0, 2.0, 3.0). So, if you want to play 2.0 playsets( avengers, GOTG, Spidey) you need the actual 2.0 software.

Is this the same reason why you need a dohickey for Rock Band 4?

Technically no, because the "dohickey" for Rock Band 4 is to allow your old 360 wireless instruments to be used on the Xbox One. That has to do with the Xbox One not having the same wireless protocols as the Xbox 360. (The PS4 doesn't have this issue, because both PS3 and PS4 use Bluetooth for wireless connectivity.)

Borman

G7AYrxV.jpg

No bonus pack though is sad.

Top Bottom