• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws | Review Thread

iu

lefty1117

Gold Member
I've got it via Ubi+. I dunno, I feel guilty about it but I actually liked the opening heist, the cinematic quality is good, music is good, environments look great, performance is good on my 4090, sound is good .. idk I feel somewhat ashamed for liking what I've seen so far after reading this thread ... it's cooler to hate on SW these days

Fbh

Gold Member
Sounds about as bland as expected, I have no idea why anyone thought it would be anything different.
I guess there was a point in time when the Star Wars IP could have still made me interested in another mediocre Ubisoft game, but Disney has been making sure that's no longer the case.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Over It Whatever GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Your post was perfectly fine up until you got to the end. Then you discredit yourself with a “people are just haters” line. That line makes it sound like you’re convince yourself that you’re having fun with the game.

I'm sure almost none of the people that have commented so far have actually played the game. I'm not the one convincing myself of anything

Krathoon

Gold Member
Really, I was a wise idea that I snagged a RTX 4070 a while back when they dropped in price. I was going to go with a 3060.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Dude what is this shit

I remember playing old COD SP campaigns and even though the enemies werent that bad and blind, you'd kind of get that. 5 enemy soldiers could waltz out shooting like blind dudes. But the avg gamer is probably really into it so they'll try their best killing them fast while the game programmer makes it look like 5 enemies missing you is due to your great reflexes and not numbnut AI.

I dont think the avg game programmer expects a gamer to stand there testing the game AI to see if they really do anything smart.

I've got it via Ubi+. I dunno, I feel guilty about it but I actually liked the opening heist, the cinematic quality is good, music is good, environments look great, performance is good on my 4090, sound is good .. idk I feel somewhat ashamed for liking what I've seen so far after reading this thread ... it's cooler to hate on SW these days
Haha dejavu with me and cyberpunk (and tlou 2 somewhat) at launch right down to the dumb ai allegations. Just have a thick skin and have fun. The hate blows over and by next year we will have threads saying how wrong the haters were. Hidden gem this and that. With cyberpunk especially I was pretty emotional connected to the game and it was a dark time online at the time.

Fake

Gold Member
via Eurogamer:
"Not satisfied with some of the most egregious yellow paint in a modern video game, Outlaws couples this with yellow tubes on the floor that lead you to your next location, yellow arrows painted on white placards, often pointing towards large bits of yellow paint, and overt, continuous button prompts assigned to every ledge, grapple point and handlebar. The result is something several leaps beyond the faintly patronising but at least understandable yellow ledges that spark debate, to something utterly, inexcusably infantilising, regardless of the audience Ubisoft Massive is shooting for here."

IMO Elden Ring open the eyes of many reviewers. Maybe they are tired of being treated like a baby by developers.

Who knows, good games did those kinds of things. When you play a game so good and jump to a mix bag game you get little annoyed. Is a night day difference no one will deny.

From the IGN review video

eQpIFkY.png

lcksAGi.png

This game is nuts. Folks can't deny now the uglyfication of women in video game. As clear as day. They not even hide their intention anymore.

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
Just watched the ACG review. He's a lot less cynical than I am, but I got to see more of the game. Insta fail stuff is made even more frustrating in any game given the fact it's got a fun and easy solution. Just unleash the most unfair, broken enemy assault of all time and fuck the player up. Would do so much for immersion. Just impossible numbers, aim bots, whatever it takes. Anything is better than a BUSTED screen.

A lot of eye candy as expected from the previews. Probably spend a lot of the game imagining what could have been if you play it. I wonder if you don't want to make a game like this leaner since it's not a very tasty dish. Hit em with a few razzle dazzle set pieces and hope they don't notice the cobbled together slop in between (GoW 2016 is a masterclass of this). I can see what they were working towards. I don't know how long the development cycle was, but the gameplay loop looks at least a year away, if not two. Some parts of the game look so good that you just start bargaining. Massive does have the best aesthetic talent at Ubi for my tastes.

Last edited:

Roufianos

The middling reviews don't seem to have done a lot of harm. The game is the best selling title on Amazon UK right now (PS5 version), and PS5s have also sold out.
But what is it competing with? What new releases this week would be number one in its place? Of course this game is going to top the charts for a few weeks based on the strength of the IP alone. Doesn't mean it will be a financial success given the cost and expectations behind it. Suicide Squad is a disaster yet also one of the best selling games of the year.

If it had reviewed well it probably would have sold 10 to 15m, now it will probably come in around 5 to 7m after steep sales.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Seems like it ended up EXACTLY like many of us predicted; outdated janky mediocrity. I'd prefer to be wrong.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Toss this in the pile of Ubisoft trash that I will try for like 7$ in a few years and uninstall after 30 mins. Recently did this with Riders Republic and was actually shocked at how bland they managed to make an extreme sports game.

I wish this wasn't my exact relationship with Ubisoft games but it is. At some point you have a talk with yourself over $7 ubisoft games like they're $7 action figures. Do I need more?

Greg, if you’re reading this…your Kinda Funny review scale is dumb. Mediocre and Meh are the same. I’d argue even Okay is too close to Mediocre.

Peterthumpa

lol, Resetera is a cesspool of wokeness, but GAF sometimes is on the total opposite side of the spectrum, totally unnecessary - gotta love all the (extremely) cherrypicked screenshots from the game.
Main character looks absolutely fine (and dare I say cute) 95%+ of the time.

Bernardougf

lol, Resetera is a cesspool of wokeness, but GAF sometimes is on the total opposite side of the spectrum, totally unnecessary - gotta love all the (extremely) cherrypicked screenshots from the game.
Main character looks absolutely fine (and dare I say cute) 95%+ of the time.
If this thing is cute I'm really curious to meet the ugly girl/woman you eventually will or had already hook up ... we all have our shares of ugly in our curriculum.... yours must be something to behold

Last edited:

Karak

thanks for the review! I think I’ll wait for the eventual Black Friday sale (50% off by then possibly?)
It might be best. I love a lot of what they tried but also more than the fair amount of it didn't land. My rating in the game changed many times in the playthrough and it's another excellent reminder that previews BOTH good and bad, are just that and not reviews.
That being said, while its all fun and games there are actually a fair number of people who liked it a great deal, maybe didn't get the bugs I got. We all know those moments I am sure.

Last edited:

Karak

This unrelated but I hate, HATE how some youtubers make weird face for their thumbnails....I find it super cringy and makes me never want to watch their videos even their content might be good.

Why? is that effective as click bait?
STUPID double post.

Bj face, surprised face, angry face, wiping your hair back, pinching your nose they are all somewhat more effective than say a normal thumbnail. But honestly, a lot of effectiveness now goes directly into particular verbiage in the title. Youtube lets me test 3 thumbs at a time and a face versus a nicely designed thumb is about the same, but a title that calls into question something dire can net 15-20% more views easily.

Last edited:
Top Bottom