• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws | Review Thread

Nydius

After watching the full hour long Kinda Funny review, I’d say the panel’s review and comments mirror my experience with the game to the letter. There’s a whole lot of elements here but none of them elevate to “good”, let alone “great”. We’ve done all these things in a multitude of different games, all of which did these things better. I might be getting upgrades but I never felt like they’ve made any real impact because the base stealth and shooting is so bad.

I’m just mad at myself for ignoring my gut and wasting a month’s sub on this game. At least I only threw away $18, and not $100+.

Alebrije

SO it seems we have another Buggysoft AAAA game!! What a time to be alive.!!

Just because Bad AI and broken stealth this Game should have 5 score reviews

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

But still better than Wukong because inclusivity and diversity!

jp3HyhM.jpeg

What magazine or review was?

Is this game worth subscribing to Ubisoft + for a month to play or is it so bad that the $17.99 subscription cost isn't worth it?

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
It’s not for everyone and not at full price but I’m enjoying what’s here.

I’ll likely just focus on story going forward to not burn myself out.

mdkirby

Someone pointed out that there’s dozens of IGN’s, all heavily weighted by metacritic etc. so if IGN accross the board rate a 5/10 game 7s & 8’s, it ensures it’s average is around a 7, when without their score saturation it would have averaged out to a 6.

nkarafo

Waiting for a discount

What really gets me about this comparison is that RDR2 is a PS4/XBOXone game.

It's a current VS last gen game. If you didn't know better you wouldn't tell which is which. And if you had to guess, you would probably say RDR is the current gen game because it still looks better.

I know, diminishing returns and all, but i still haven't felt this generation jump in the slightest.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I wish they could stop with open world titles. Just give me a good story that isn't open world. It just introduces more bugs and more time doing nothing.

Ulysses 31

I wish they could stop with open world titles. Just give me a good story that isn't open world. It just introduces more bugs and more time doing nothing.
Funny thing is they think it's something so worthy of note that I lie about it being the first open world Star Wars when there was Galaxies. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Synless

It's a current VS last gen game. If you didn't know better you wouldn't tell which is which. And if you had to guess, you would probably say RDR is the current gen game because it still looks better.

I know, diminishing returns and all, but i still haven't felt this generation jump in the slightest.

Waiting for a discount

This really fucking sad and honestly part of why I haven’t been impressed by this generation in the slightest. GTA:VI can’t come fast enough to show people how it’s done.

Last edited:
Yeah this is the worst generation by far. It feels like all we got was a resolution bump. I'm enjoying Outlaws for what it is, but it looks and feels like a PS4 game, like everything else I've played this gen.

thatJohann

I keep playing this on PS5 mostly for the graphics.

The gameplay and mechanics are so DATED.

My other big issue is that Kay isn’t likeable at all neither are any of the characters except Nix (the pet) and maybe ND5. Rest are just filler.

At this point, I’m skipping every side quest and rushing thru main quest to finish this before Astro Bot this week.

Last edited:

Alebrije

When was the last time UBI got. 9-10 score for a Game?

Their games are on the 6-8 area , for a studio that size is a shame.

Think they posponed División 3 for this Game is increíble.

Hookshot

Gold Member

You don't even need to compare it to something as impressive as Red Dead. The WiiU is a year older than the PS4 and XOne and significantly weaker yet Breath of the Wild's physics and world immersion are significantly better than this game, released 7 years later.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah this is the worst generation by far. It feels like all we got was a resolution bump. I'm enjoying Outlaws for what it is, but it looks and feels like a PS4 game, like everything else I've played this gen.
It's unfair to compare any open world game to rdr2 tho.

Lucky for us outlaws lose even against way lesser\older games :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
my simple review:

- basically 90% is stealth gameplay
- a lot of stealth is MANDATORY
- Ubisoft fetch quests
- space combat is passable
- of course she is gay ( its modern starwars ) not that it matters but a lot of people want to know
she flirts with the speed bike mechanic
- graphics are muddy and blurry at best.
- performance is pretty good though.

overall some fun to be had but nothing that cannot wait for a price drop.

6/10

Ulysses 31

my simple review:

- Ubisoft fetch quests
- of course she is gay ( its modern starwars ) not that it matters but a lot of people want to know

6/10
What the story and Kate's personality? I read those are often lacking too.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Stealth is not really mandatory.

Let me put it this way, for story\lore reason they had to make some mission with immediate fail state because it would not make sense to be discovered and still finish the mission if not being discovered is a key aspect.

But they knew their stealth was loosy and unreliable so 90% of the stealth is not mandatory, you can go guns blazing as much as you want because the ia is brain dead and the punishment for being discovered are very light because the rep system is 1cm deep and you can gain easily more rep when you lose it.

The game has the lowest stakes ever except in those couple of missions with immediate fail state and dogshit\absent autosave.

When you get the things you need from the factions that adapt to your playstyle, then you can play the game as a shooter for 90% of the time.

I like this, but I think I'm going to drop it (luckily I got it free with my CPU) - I just don't get along with these stealth games. I feel the same way about this as I did Last of Us pt. 1 which I tried three separate times and dropped - I just don't find sneaking around all that much fun, and I'm generally terrible at them - just attempted the first real stealthy section about five times (infiltrate someone's palace or something) and just can't get it. And having to start the section again? Life is just too short. Looks great and I'd love to keep playing, but this kind of gameplay is just not for me (other examples would be Hitman), however much I enjoy the world and the story.

my simple review:

- Ubisoft fetch quests

6/10
Shame really, was hoping for a decent Starwars game. DF are praising the graphics on all platforms but you ain't impressed?

GymWolf

Gold Member
He absolutely loved Cyberpunk though, which has a lot more talking than anything else during its main missions.
I didn't even knew he played cyberpunk, him saying that he was about to play it but never actually doing it was like a meme if i remember well :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
77 is pretty good that’s not a bad game developers are allowed to make mistakes. Star Wars is one of societies favorite franchises, the year before it was Jedi survivor. I think the Ubisoft dna is intriguing more than anything.

Top Bottom