• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws | Review Thread

thatJohann

The game feels much better in the 60fps performance mode vs the 40fps 120fps mode despite the loss of image quality.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
The game feels much better in the 60fps performance mode vs the 40fps 120fps mode despite the loss of image quality.
I think different areas probably show the quality drop more than others. I tried flicking between the modes right at the beginning and couldn't see much change - if anything. But on arriving to the first planet, I could see the resolution was lower for the first time - no idea if the resolution is dynamic in particular areas, but I didn't notice it before.

I also knocked down all the motion blur to zero, it's quite aggressive to my eye.

Stafford

I'm gonna try to make the HDR acceptable by lowering TV brightness, but it probably won't be good. So frustrating that devs still mess up HDR. Wasn't Division 2 fine?

don-mika

Neo Member
invite them to Disneyland and let them make light sabre with the other kids.
Massimo.jpg

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I'm gonna try to make the HDR acceptable by lowering TV brightness, but it probably won't be good. So frustrating that devs still mess up HDR. Wasn't Division 2 fine?

Yeah, I couldn't get the HDR to sit right, I noticed that some blacks were grey in places which prompted me to mess with it, but the darkest panel on the calibration screen is way too dark on my tv. If I pump the levels up enough, everything is blown out.

Stafford

Yeah, I couldn't get the HDR to sit right, I noticed that some blacks were grey in places which prompted me to mess with it, but the darkest panel on the calibration screen is way too dark on my tv. If I pump the levels up enough, everything is blown out.

OMFG, I just hate this shit so much because when you have a banging ass HDR TV and the implementation is great.....it's amazing.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
OMFG, I just hate this shit so much because when you have a banging ass HDR TV and the implementation is great.....it's amazing.
Yeah, I can't help but think they'll ship some sort of patch for it, I think from a player's point of view you'd assume it would be something that they'd just set and forget and it'd just work.

I guess, it's more complicated than that.

The animation in this game is shit tier omg…

Didn't even notice.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but more and more I think that the difference between a terrible game and an enjoyable one is the wave of sentiment that accompanies it.

If you're on console you're at the mercy of the devs to fix it. If you're on PC you can try using reshade to lower the floor but I don't know if there's any side effects in doing that. I think we're in a much better place in 2024 regarding HDR (much more games have good to great implementations) but every now and then a dev fuck up and it's so frustrating. Hopefully Massive will look into it because black level floor is not raised in SDR so it just seems like something they overlooked.

Didn't even notice.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but more and more I think that the difference between a terrible game and an enjoyable one is the wave of sentiment that accompanies it.
agreed...

critiquing a game involves remaining at a remove, & constantly looking at what's there from the outside. while playing a game involves shutting everything else out, & getting involved in what's going on. higher sensitivity to graphical/technical 'imperfections' therefore results in more shifting from playing mode to critiquing mode, which results in a paradigm where, basically, personal ignorance of the majority of the multiple graphical/technical 'imperfections' of almost any given game can often result in personal bliss...

&, to the extent we're just talking about something as relatively unimportant as a bunch of dumb video games here, where's the harm in that?...

Top Bottom