• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws | Review Thread

sigmaZ

It looks like my cup of tea. Will buy the Gold Edition at 50% off đź‘Ť
You like it when people piss in your tea?
This unrelated but I hate, HATE how some youtubers make weird face for their thumbnails....I find it super cringy and makes me never want to watch their videos even their content might be good.

Why? is that effective as click bait?

It's effective because it gives you an idea of what they thought of the thing they are reviewing. It emphasizes their thoughts. It only bothers me when the opinion is not the same or the opposite of the expression. That to me is true clickbait.

ZoukGalaxy

wtf is this thing

The Exorcist GIF by filmeditor

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's effective because it gives you an idea of what they thought of the thing they are reviewing. It emphasizes their thoughts. It only bothers me when the opinion is not the same or the opposite of the expression. That to me is true clickbait.
I personally I find it super goofy it kind of turns me off watching their video.

saintjules

Gold Member
Everyone has differing opinions. That's the beauty of reviews. Have to go with your own gut.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wait a fucking second ..

apparently this game has the option to toggle a 21 : 9 mode (even on consoles) but all that it does is add black bars to the normal 16 : 9 presentation. It doesn't even expand the FoV or anything.

What a useless 'feature'.

YhSSr4D.png

1WG4Ohi.png
AKJAGdL.png

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

The YT guy practically hated everything about the game.

But a few things I'd note:

1. In the first 5 minutes of the video he hates how the game is a lot more stealthy than previews showed having blaster firefights. So assuming he's telling the truth, watch out. It is not an action adventure game, but a stealth game with some shooting scenes.

2. He also hated how if you screwed up being stealthy, the guards can trigger the whole mob of enemies at you with alarms. And sometimes that can trigger an insta-fail. I actually think this is good. That's how it should work. I get it that for sake of gameplay, stealth games are lenient and let you hide behind a barrel for 30 seconds to reset alarms and shit, but to me if it's a stealth game it should mean you got to do the level picture perfect. Although I dont agree with the glitchy parts he showed where you can still fail the level if the guard saw you while you knocked him out at the same time. That must be bugged programming or something.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wait a fucking second ..

apparently this game has the option to toggle a 21 : 9 mode (even on consoles) but all that it does is add black bars to the normal 16 : 9 presentation. It doesn't even expand the FoV or anything.

YhSSr4D.png

1WG4Ohi.png
AKJAGdL.png
That's the new UBI feature called P-UWS.

Pseudo-Ultra Widescreen

Wait a fucking second ..

YhSSr4D.png

1WG4Ohi.png
AKJAGdL.png
This isn't true, not sure what's going on in that screenshot, but switching to 16:9 should just zoom in on the 21:9 image, which offers a much wider viewing area.

adamsapple

This isn't true, not sure what's going on in that screenshot, but switching to 16:9 should just zoom in on the 21:9 image, which offers a much wider viewing area.

It's from a video where they toggle between the options and go back the game to point it out. The only thing that seems to scale is the options menu, the game just adds black bars.

Time stamped.

Stuart360

Console?

Very odd then that those guys are just getting black bars.

Has there been any day 0 patch?
I was watching someone stream the PS5 version earlier today and it was def zooming in when they went fullscreen, the borders werent just going on and off.
I suppose there could of been a day one patch but they are usually saved for the main launch so i dont know.

Edit. Check 15:10 in this vid adamsapple -

Last edited:

adamsapple

I was watching someone stream the PS5 version earlier today and it was def zooming in when they went fullscreen, the borders werent just going on and off.
I suppose there could of been a day one patch but they are usually saved for the main launch so i dont know.

Edit. Check 15:10 in this vid adamsapple -

Yeah, so it does look like console just adds black bars.

There's no native 21 : 9 scaling.

R Reizo Ryuu I have absolutely no doubts that the PC version scales properly, looks like they just added a fake 21 : 9 on consoles, they don't even expand it like how Death Stranding's remaster did it.

LK3JVXu.png
jRmW8zv.png

Stuart360

Yeah, so it does look like console just adds black bars.

There's no native 21 : 9 scaling.

R Reizo Ryuu I have absolutely no doubts that the PC version scales properly, looks like they just added a fake 21 : 9 on consoles, they don't even expand it like how Death Stranding's remaster did it.

LK3JVXu.png
jRmW8zv.png
Oh shit you're right, i just watched it again. I was looking at her back and it looked like she got a lot bigger, but she actually isnt, its like an optical illusion.
What the hell is the point of this lol.

Last edited:

Barakov

The YT guy practically hated everything about the game.

But a few things I'd note:

1. In the first 5 minutes of the video he hates how the game is a lot more stealthy than previews showed having blaster firefights. So assuming he's telling the truth, watch out. It is not an action adventure game, but a stealth game with some shooting scenes.

2. He also hated how if you screwed up being stealthy, the guards can trigger the whole mob of enemies at you with alarms. And sometimes that can trigger an insta-fail. I actually think this is good. That's how it should work. I get it that for sake of gameplay, stealth games are lenient and let you hide behind a barrel for 30 seconds to reset alarms and shit, but to me if it's a stealth game it should mean you got to do the level picture perfect. Although I dont agree with the glitchy parts he showed where you can still fail the level if the guard saw you while you knocked him out at the same time. That must be bugged programming or something.
Hmm. So it seems like it's an open world Star Wars stealth game? That actually sounds kinda interesting. I know trash talked this game quite a bit but once this is patched up it might end being pretty good.

adamsapple

So bizarre. Some people on Era replied that they're also getting a proper 21 : 9 view.

Also looks like the games 40hz mode is not updating for some builds of the game on both Xbox and PS5. Some people have gotten an update that seems to add it, some haven't.

I'm guessing the 21 : 9 thing is also going to be fixed for whoever gets the update.

The launch has come in pretty hot on this one.

Pelao

Instantly failing when spotted is one of the laziest ways to force stealth in a game. Make combat challenging enough without it being cheap to motivate the player to not be detected. For crying out loud, this is something that was solved literally decades ago in other games, and I'm not just talking about Metal Gear.
It's somewhat forgivable in games where stealth is a fairly rare thing, just a few levels, but when it's such a major focus of your game, then there's no excuse.

sigmaZ

Instantly failing when spotted is one of the laziest ways to force stealth in a game. Make combat challenging enough without it being cheap to motivate the player to not be detected. For crying out loud, this is something that was solved literally decades ago in other games, and I'm not just talking about Metal Gear.
It's somewhat forgivable in games where stealth is a fairly rare thing, just a few levels, but when it's such a major focus of your game, then there's no excuse.
Totally agree. It's lazy af and doesn't allow for dynamic gameplay. I wouldn't in 2D where the movement is clearer and fluid, but in 3D it's incredibly annoying.

Saw a brief review showing how bad the AI is and it killed my hype. Nothing worst than being able to pick off AI enemies one by one without ever getting flanked, or being able to fight a squad while remaining in the same position the whole fight.

Ozzie666

Saw a brief review showing how bad the AI is and it killed my hype. Nothing worst than being able to pick off AI enemies one by one without ever getting flanked, or being able to fight a squad while remaining in the same position the whole fight.

Playing on story mode?

Cyberpunkd

When Thief: The Dark project that came out. 26 years ago does stealth better than you…

If You Say So Wow GIF by Identity

Cyberpunkd

Hmm. So it seems like it's an open world Star Wars stealth game? That actually sounds kinda interesting. I know trash talked this game quite a bit but once this is patched up it might end being pretty good.
Imagine Ubisoft knowing very well what they made but also knowing this will never sell as much if advertised as a SW stealth game…

blake shelton television GIF by The Voice

Cyberpunkd

Oh for sure. If they advertised it as a bad splinter cell Star Wars game, the normies would freak out.
This always puzzles me because the truth will come out. So the only thing a company is doing is showing disrespect to potential customers by telling them: “we are going to lie to you and you will still going to buy it”.

GymWolf

Gold Member

Dude what is this shit

I'm more impressed by the kill with that super disjointed animation...dude is sitting in one moment and it's up and dying a second later, 2024 and most devs that aren't nd or rockstar can't do non-jerky looking animations to save their lives...

hinch7

Going by initial impressions and clips about as expected.

If IGN gives this a 7, its going to few points less in actuality.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
GV7IEw5XcAAEwzO

Trying to save some fire for the Ass Creed Shadows bomba and gif fest we've got on the near horizon, but the goods just keep coming.

This is unfair, this has obviously only partially loaded. Please compare it to this image of what she normally looks like.

WfAyoRV.jpeg

See? Oh whoops sorry that's on me, there so close its uncanny...I meant this.

uYCeQj2.jpeg

SyberWolf

i played a little yesterday.
it is not that bad.
runs decent, looks great.
the only negative is a couple of bugs and her face so far.
i play on pc, i can imagine consoles have more issues.

edit: i turned on 16:9 and increased FOV

v9laPf6.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom