• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divekick |OT| My sneakers are ready

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Stream seems balanced around the YOLO gem, kinda fitting honestly LOL

He's too slow with too shitty a hit box otherwise x.x/

I think it's the speed, to be honest. My reactions aren't the best. The match usually ends up being crazy no matter who wins, though.

When none of the two have full meter I think the match is close to equal, but when they get Kickfactor...oh man it's just too much.

Of the two, I'd say Kick does better. At the beginning of the round, I literally can't do anything other than kickback that won't get me hit on reaction.

When none of the two have full meter I think the match is close to equal, but when they get Kickfactor...oh man it's just too much.

Of the two, I'd say Kick does better. At the beginning of the round, I literally can't do anything other than kickback that won't get me hit on reaction.

Hm, maybe I should try to be more offensive in that match then. I'm usually content to sit back and let the other player make mistakes instead of trying to gain ground and pressure.

Ardvent

Has Iron Galaxy talked about any roster updates or DLC? I was thinking of a rival character for Kenny's should be Ryan Davis.

Dahbomb

Yea I am not touching Rank again after reaching 300 points. You drop too hard (40-50 points at times) when you lose and the scoring is a bit streaky. You can be 400 points one day, 200 the next day.

FluxWaveZ

So as some of you already know (if you read the Fighting Game Weekly thread, at least), I'm gonna be hosting an online GAF tournament for Divekick this weekend. One for PSN and one for Steam. You can feel free to enter both if you wish. Nothing is on the line except your pride.

If you want in, then quote this post (so I can see my own post highlighted as I scroll by) and mention if you're entering the PSN, Steam, or both tournaments. If you don't quote the post, then I don't enter you. Simple as that. I don't need your PSN/Steam usernames since I'm going to be using your GAF name in the brackets, but if you really want to include them, then you can.

I'm gonna make a separate thread for the tournament in the next few days just to keep things easier on myself. I'll explain more stuff there, like the rules and such.

Steam and PSN.

Apologies in advance if there are any matches I won't be able to make because I'm organizing a Divekick tournament of my own.

Sgblues

I would wanna see in the future maybe Gootecks and Mike Ross characters or even a fusion of both, Fchamp as either a giant pelican or a guy in a pelican suit, Uncle Valle as he is but the joke would be everyone refers to him as being super old and wanting to take it easy on him, Daigo as Diego Umahriguez aka El Bestia or have him being portrayed as a super advanced robot, terminator style and Chris G as a super anime drawn character with big eyes and sparkle trails when he dive kicks.

I'm gonna be making a thread later tonight for the Divekick tournament. If things go well, and if everyone agrees, then we can probably start as early as Friday afternoon.

Don't go quoting this post though. Save it for the thread. :p

Kenny and MarkMan, win or lose, it's awesome playing as both. Finding Spirit Bullet setups and building that kickbox are too much fun (the feint is amazing too). Both force me to think about the entire roster and item list as well.

I would wanna see in the future maybe Gootecks and Mike Ross characters or even a fusion of both, Fchamp as either a giant pelican or a guy in a pelican suit, Uncle Valle as he is but the joke would be everyone refers to him as being super old and wanting to take it easy on him, Daigo as Diego Umahriguez aka El Bestia or have him being portrayed as a super advanced robot, terminator style and Chris G as a super anime drawn character with big eyes and sparkle trails when he dive kicks.

I wanted to see Sp00ky as Stream's warden.

Yea I am not touching Rank again after reaching 300 points. You drop too hard (40-50 points at times) when you lose and the scoring is a bit streaky. You can be 400 points one day, 200 the next day.

This is the story of my life... well, the last two days of it.

Who's the best counter pick for S. Kill? Trying to use Matkman in this matchup is a pain for me. I admit I could be done something wrong with Markman though.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This is the best game I've ever played.

Tan

I think I just beat my first Uncle Sensei with Kick. That match up is so hard, Sensei is legit.

Also dodging kick factor Baz by doing party starter is probably the best thing ever.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I just choked someone online in a ranked match. It was the most exciting gaming moment I've had in a while.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Real tip: Against Baz, choose anyone but s-kill or stream and you shouldn't have a problem. Rush him down and intercept any angled kicks. This will destroy most Baz players.

Has Iron Galaxy talked about any roster updates or DLC? I was thinking of a rival character for Kenny's should be Ryan Davis.
Keits has said he has a lot of ideas for characters. I bet "Bryan Davis" mentioned in the credits is their first addition if IG get the opportunity.

Dacvak

My biggest complaint is that the matchmaking takes way too long to find a new opponent. I just got fraud ed twice, too. Ugh. I have to stop thinking so much about the meter.

Keits

Developer
I think I just beat my first Uncle Sensei with Kick. That match up is so hard, Sensei is legit.

Also dodging kick factor Baz by doing party starter is probably the best thing ever.

I've never seen that happen, and it sounds awesome.

I've been playing 6+ months and im still learning new stuff about the matchups.

K.Sabot

Baz vs Baz is probably the stupidest thing I've ever played.

Here's the match up:

If you go in against a meter building baz you're dead because the wall of lightning.

So it turns into a cold war between two baz's with meter gems getting Kick Factor at the same time.

I had 6 double kos before frauding the guy because he wanted to go in.

Who's the best counter pick for S. Kill? Trying to use Matkman in this matchup is a pain for me. I admit I could be done something wrong with Markman though.

I like Kung against him. The low angle means parries aren't a risk and you can cover a lot of distance so Seth won't get the chance to build meter safely (and that's pretty much all he can do). Just rush him down careful to space so you won't be hit by a low Divekick and will be able to react and punish a high one. If he lands a head shot things get rough for you though, he'll be able to build enough meter to get a special off by the time you recover from a dizzy and that's bad news.

Dacvak

Baz vs Baz is probably the stupidest thing I've ever played.

Here's the match up:

If you go in against a meter building baz you're dead because the wall of lightning.

So it turns into a cold war between two baz's with meter gems getting Kick Factor at the same time.

I had 6 double kos before frauding the guy because he wanted to go in.
Yep. Just had this happen. I'm finding that I'm not very good at this game.

Loving the game so far.

Maybe already asked but, is a bigger lobby system n the works with spectator mode?

Thats the only thing that that would make this perfect.

Keits

Developer
I agree that Baz mirrors are kind of broken, and its high priority on my to-fix list.

Bigger lobbies / spectator are high on the list too, but the game needs to sell okay for us to be able to afford to support it. Here's hoping.

Dacvak

I agree that Baz mirrors are kind of broken, and its high priority on my to-fix list.
It'd also be nice if ranked match ups didn't take so long to find players. Not really sure how you could handle that.

How's it selling so far?

Also, if I may make a suggestion, I think it'd be nice if you didn't lose points so quickly. I end up fighting a lot of people who just have 0 points.

Tan

I got the idea from seeing so many Bazzes get kick factor and just immediately throw out a horizontal kick.
Started counter picking with a style gem and I've been getting great results! You can only really it dodge once by doing that but hey, one less free kill.

Keits

Developer
It'd also be nice if ranked match ups didn't take so long to find players. Not really sure how you could handle that.

How's it selling so far?

Also, if I may make a suggestion, I think it'd be nice if you didn't lose points so quickly. I end up fighting a lot of people who just have 0 points.

1.) for the vast majority of players, this isn't happening. I find matches super fast on all three platforms, as do most players. We are investigating why this is happening to some players, but putting your ps3/vita on DMZ in your router settings may help you.

2.) I dont know!

3.) This is how ELO ratings systems work. If you have lots of points, and lose to someone with few, you lose a lot of points. If they beat you, they gain a ton. On their end, they lose very little if you beat them. Many games use a very similar system.

bounchfx

I was so ready to buy this until I saw it was $10. Maaaaan. :( no demo either :\

I was looking at this before it launched and there was no price, so I assumed it was free. that's probably why I'm disappointed. gonna have to meditate on this one...

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I was so ready to buy this until I saw it was $10. Maaaaan. :( no demo either :\

I was looking at this before it launched and there was no price, so I assumed it was free. that's probably why I'm disappointed. gonna have to meditate on this one...

You were expecting this to be free?

Veggy

I don't have any problems connecting to matches on steam, though my vita seems to take a long time to find any matches (doesn't happen with any of my other vita games)

Not tried out the PS3 version yet, I'll check it out tomorrow

Played a lot more matches today and still having a blast. Feel free to add me on steam (veggy7)

DigitalOp

Banned

One day of skipped lunch in the US wont hurt you...

Or if you smoke, tell someone to go half on a gram with you. Bam 10 bucks lol

I was sorta on the fence and I took the plunge. Super happy with my choice. Games freakin awesome

Dahbomb

Bigger lobbies / spectator are high on the list too, but the game needs to sell okay for us to be able to afford to support it. Here's hoping.
Please add a way to Invite players in Lobby for Steam.

Also you have to implement a Blind Pick system for online Ranked play (no need for Unranked play). Too much counter pick shenanigans going on or waiting until the last second to fast pick a character. The worst is Jefailey vs Shoals gem selection because the Jefailey player has to wait until the Shoals player to pick a gem because if she picks YOLO then Jefailey has to pick YOLO too. In fact that match up overall is pretty stupid, you have to look at the hit box of Foot Dive AND the ginormous head of Jefailey... it's way too big and too much of a drawback for the benefit it gives you.

bounchfx

You were expecting this to be free?

not originally, but when I went to the steam page there was no price listed. and you'll have to excuse me but a first glance at the game doesn't scream 'this should cost money'.

not saying anything about the game itself, nor am I aiming to offend you, but as a first impression vibe that doesn't seem too far fetched.

One day of skipped lunch in the US wont hurt you...

Or if you smoke, tell someone to go half on a gram with you. Bam 10 bucks lol

I was sorta on the fence and I took the plunge. Super happy with my choice. Games freakin awesome

yeah I'm damn tempted.. It's just a mix of time plus me being frugal as shit. I love supporting indies though and this doesn't look like a 40 hour RPG so I think I could probably wing it.

Keits

Developer
DMZ doesn't help my online experience btw so that's adding to some of the salt today

We'll keep investigating.

Please add a way to Invite players in Lobby for Steam.

Also you have to implement a Blind Pick system for online Ranked play (no need for Unranked play). Too much counter pick shenanigans going on or waiting until the last second to fast pick a character. The worst is Jefailey vs Shoals gem selection because the Jefailey player has to wait until the Shoals player to pick a gem because if she picks YOLO then Jefailey has to pick YOLO too. In fact that match up overall is pretty stupid, you have to look at the hit box of Foot Dive AND the ginormous head of Jefailey... it's way too big and too much of a drawback for the benefit it gives you.

We definitely want to add blind pick to ranked. I might even adjust how YOLO gem works.

As for steam invites, we'll look into that, but for now just coordinate. Message your friend that you are hosting a private lobby, have him search for a private lobby and join yours.

Dahbomb

No YOLO gem works fine as intended, it's just that one particular match up that is kinda stupid. The YOLO gem just compounds the issue, even if they pick the standard gems it's a match up that is heavily in Shoals favor. A Shoals can be down 0-4 rounds and can EASILY come back 5 rounds to win, it's not even a rare situation although most of the time Shoal wins anyway. It's just the whole issue of the Foot Dive hit box interacting with Jefailey's giant head along with his limited mobility, the options become very limited for Jefailey and one head shot basically means game over for him.

For Steam invite you can invite someone to Divekick by using the chat option of Steam (click the arrow, select "Invite to Game").

Tan

...latest update made resolutions higher than 720p just stay at 720p?
The characters in-game looked better at 1080p, while the characters in the UI looked kinda funky. At 720p it's the other way around. hmmm

Top Bottom