• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divekick |OT| My sneakers are ready

ElFly

I'd appreciate if the "fraud detection warning" sounded only once, thus not making the rounds slower.

Also, speed up a little the "death from above" message.

Matchs are super short, no need for the filler.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'd appreciate if the "fraud detection warning" sounded only once, thus not making the rounds slower.

Perhaps if the warning played in a lower volume at the same time as the announcer says "Round 4".

Instead of "death from above....round 1....divekick!"

It could be "death from above....divekick!"

Keits

Developer

The game is pretty tense and dramatic, especially as you get better at it. These give you a chance to breath and think, and I wouldn't want them to shorten, personally.

Fraud detection length is all about the drama. As skisonic once said "those big red letters... they fuck with you man!"

DMG-01

Personally, I only found the Fraud Detection Warning annoyingly long when I was doing a YOLO run through Story mode. In a "real" match, I like the added drama since you don't normally encounter fraudulent situations too often.

Veggy

I'd keep the fraud/choke detection warning as they are now

I agree that ranked should be blind pick

I'd say stream might need a buff but I have a feeling he's one of those characters that needs more work put into him than most

jlevel13

We'll keep investigating.

Here's my update on the vita online situation. Yesterday at first I couldn't connect to anything (stuck at searching), then a few hours later was able to connect to a few matches with no problem (except for a longer wait than on ps3) and again this morning had no problem. Tonight though, again I couldn't connect to anything. Put my vita into DMZ as suggested, but for me it also seemed to make no difference, just stuck on searching for four or five minutes without finding a match before giving up.

I was wondering if perhaps cross play isn't working right and vita games are only looking for other people trying to play on vita?

UPDATE: Just as I was finished typing the above the vita found a match (well over five minutes of searching first though)...

Veggy

I've not had any problems with Shoals at all, her first divekick only goes a certain distance before she drops down/does the 2nd divekick

She still destroys Defailey though

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
lol who's been giving Uncle Sensei money? They're multiplying. I was doing a sensei mirror match in ranked on the fresh prince level and my opponents sprite duplicated. It was just hanging in mid-air at the top.

edit: Oh yeah for some reason I couldn't screen cap it. It just showed my desktop and a taskbar popup. I was in fullscreen mode.

Also a Baz in ranked frauded me. :( I will not use kung against Baz now. She wasn't getting the height I needed.

...latest update made resolutions higher than 720p just stay at 720p?
The characters in-game looked better at 1080p, while the characters in the UI looked kinda funky. At 720p it's the other way around. hmmm
Restarting fixed it for me.

Having trouble finding matches (Steam/unranked) today, even though it was fast yesterday. Are other people having this problem or is this on my end?
It's the same as yesterday for me in unranked. I started ranked today and it's a little slower than unranked. It's not too slow though.

Dahbomb

Stream is really good. I promise you don't want him buffed.
I don't know man, I played against a guy who had been playing Stream Monster a lot since day 1 (and got fairly decent at it). He played with YOLO gem and even with that I was getting first round on him. On YOLO gem the character seems more fair and in line with the other characters.

I don't know man, maybe I am missing something about him although I can't be the only one, ranked barely has any Stream Monsters and those that use him get bodied. Right now at worst he is an annoying presence.

superbank

I don't know man, I played against a guy who had been playing Stream Monster a lot since day 1 (and got fairly decent at it). He played with YOLO gem and even with that I was getting first round on him. On YOLO gem the character seems more fair and in line with the other characters.

I don't know man, maybe I am missing something about him although I can't be the only one, ranked barely has any Stream Monsters and those that use him get bodied. Right now at worst he is an annoying presence.
I see potential in him with the little play time I had. People are just afraid to pick him because he's harder to learn. Him and s-kill.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I see potential in him with the little play time I had. People are just afraid to pick him because he's harder to learn. Him and s-kill.

S-kill is not hard at all. Stream is fucking hard mostly because of dropped inputs online. He requires a lot of really tight fast inputs because of the lag on his back jump being negated by his up jump. This lets him kick really fucking fast but doing kick dive kick consistantly in less than one second online is a bitch.

I mostly use S-kill, Uncle, and Stream and Stream is about 3x harder to use than the rest of the cast.

Also Keits what's up with shoals super tiny ass hurt box on the downards kick? Ive teleported up to her with seth and kicked down half her body

superbank

S-kill is not hard at all. Stream is fucking hard mostly because of dropped inputs online.

I mostly use S-kill, Uncle, and Stream and Stream is about 3x harder to use than the rest of the cast.
Maybe I'll rephrase that: In comparison to starter friendly characters like Dive and Kick and most of the cast he appears harder to learn.

Dahbomb

Also Keits what's up with shoals super tiny ass hurt box on the downards kick? Ive teleported up to her with seth and kicked down half her body
Shoal's hit boxes/hurt boxes are generally pretty weird (read: absurd).

Properly played Markman is fairly hard too. Between the Electrical Kick, the large amount of tools he has and his on landing back dash he takes a while to properly master.

Also good Baz play is not that easy in the game, you really have to know your angles and it's match up specific.

The lobby search is showing four different rooms up all hosted by the same person haha. I hope I can get these lobby issues sorted out before the tournament. I have no problems in matchmaking or hosting a lobby but trying to join is always a disaster. I think I got it to work like twice so far.

Edit: As soon as I post this I was able to join a lobby lol.

Dahbomb

Oh and DAY 1 TIER LIST TIME!!!

S Tier: Kick
Best character in the game, no real bad match ups and can generally tackle in any situation. Easy to use dive kick, kick back and easy to use special moves. Good/great meter build.

S- Tier: Dive
2nd best character in the game, has pretty much the same match ups as Kick only slightly loses to Kick. Has slightly harder to use tools but they are useful too as they are position based tools.

A+ Tier: Dr Shoals
Only loses to Dive/Kick, about even to Redacted. Beats Kung Pao, has a 9-1 match up against Jefailey, beats Mr.N and bullies the low tiers. Surprisingly good meter build as she kicks twice, great kick back escape, in the air float lets you escape bad situations and foot dive has a crazy good hit box.

A Tier: Redacted
Only really loses to Kick/Dive and even then not by that much. Big/fast jump, fast dive kick, crawl/wall jump slept on as legitimate tech. Powerful Kick Factor as well. Requires quick reaction and precision though. Good/Great meter build. Only reason he isn't as good as Dr Shoals is because he doesn't quite bully the other characters like Shoal does.

A- tier: Sensei
Solid character that generally does well against most of the cast but requires good skill and stance control to make use of his advantages. Gets the same busted ass hit box of Foot Dive or the steep foot dive for close ranged. The aerial stance chance is tricky and effective. Generally a slept on character. Average meter build.

B+ tier: Kung Pao
Loses to Dr Shoals and Twins, does well against the rest of the cast. Not a great jump but horizontal dive kick is generally useful. Teleport move is slept on, even the naked one without the set up portal. Meter build is kinda meh, kick back is alright.

B tier: MarkMan
Lots of great tools but hurt by "random" factor. His main gimmick is generally unreliable but powerful if you get it off (unreliable in that you will have very few changes in a match to actually use it). Good horizontal dive kick, good match ups. Requires timing on specific moves to get the most out of him.

B- tier: Mr.N
Loses to the above characters generally speaking. Great jump, good specials and built in passive that protects him against a single headshot (which is very notable). Very fast meter build and a powerful Kick factor. Requires precision with dive kick like Redacted.

C+ tier: S-Kill
Loses to top tiers but wins against low tiers for the most part. Tricky character that can throw even good players off with his teleport game. Parry requires precision but he can cancel his teleport into it (the first one). Can't really cover ground as fast as most other characters but he has his godly air special move which is like a homing teleport dive kick, IMO one of the best specials in the game.

C- Tier: Baz
The scrub killer. Lightning cross ups are annoying and anyone who is too twitchy will get blown up for it. Fast meter gain and a kick factor that is pretty much broken when he gets it off (his entire body is a hit box and he himself is invincible), good thing it doesn't last that long. Specials are alright. Gets blown up hard by anything that is horizontal and is active for days because it will beat out his lightning and even dodge it (so Shoals and Kung Pao beat him bad). If you know his angles you can blow up even good players with him but otherwise he gets beat by a lot of characters.

D Tier: Jefailey
Too many weaknesses on the character. Specials moves are extremely meh and situational. Jump is meh, kick back is alright, meter build is alright, dive kick is good but lacks distance and you have to charge it up. Charging is very obvious and limits your mobility options... plus it limits your meter gain. In Kick Factor Jefailey is a beast though but you have to choose between charging and gaining meter. Hard to rushdown with him as well which means characters can sit back and build meter against him with impunity. Big head mechanic really makes him a pain to play where it becomes really easy to come back against Jefailey. Jefailey vs Shoal is the one true 9-1 match up in the game, Shoals on YOLO gem makes it a 99999 - 1 match up.

Stream Monster tier: Stream Monster
Hard to play character who on paper should beat a few of the inferior characters like Jefailey and Baz but gets destroyed by better characters pretty handily. Dive kick is slow and predictable, he is very vulnerable after the long dive kick. Specials are gimmicky/situational. Meter build is a lot of hassle. Right now very few people are playing him to his potential but I don't think his potential will ever be above Mid tier.

Kenny Tier: Kenny
Random character is random. Either the best character in the game or the worst. Tier wise I would put him in the upper bracket though because his specials are nice.

As of right now I'm gonna have to say I agree with most of that tier list. There are a couple characters I haven't fought enough to really form an opinion on (S. Kill, Kung Pao), but for those I hav fought you put them pretty much where I would put them.

Tan

There are a couple characters I'd swap around in there (I think Mr. N and Sensei are stronger than that) but I generally agree.

Dahbomb

Sensei and Redacted are close.

I used to think Mr.N was top 5 but now not so much. Match ups that I thought were in his favor actually weren't so. I still think he has good tools with great meter build.

Dahbomb

shoals definitely loses to markman
How? I feel she has the height advantage over him and she can punish his horizontal dive kick better. Of course MarkMan with his Electrical Kick and back dash are super good in any situation but you don't always have that.

Makai

There is NO WAY Baz is anything lower than Top Tier. Have you seen his Kick Factor? He's invincible and kills opponent on contact. Say goodbye to 3 stocks if he builds up his meter.

Veggy

There is NO WAY Baz is anything lower than Top Tier. Have you seen his Kick Factor? He's invincible and kills opponent on contact. Say goodbye to 3 stocks if he builds up his meter.

He can't really do anything if you rush him down and keep an eye on where he's rotating

Dahbomb

The better characters can beat him before he gets KF and characters like Redacted/Shoals/Stream/S Kill/Sensei can evade his KF with their specials. His KF doesn't last that long either.

Even online Baz has fallen off. He has been figured out by a lot of the better people. The whole sit back and spam lightning to build meter is not enough to win anymore, you have to play tactfully.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Dear Keits please make Seth's teleport work properly vs Shoals. Thanks.

using meter to appear in front of a foot dive is ass backwards and fix the parry on the downwards footdive. Why does he spawn in a position where he wiffs

Tan

Even if he gets that far most characters can dodge it long enough for it to run out. I've got it down to where he only gets one free kill against my Kick. Other characters should have an easier time since their dive's are better. (maybe thinking of counterpicking with a dive gem?)

superbank

"Jefailey...? Wins"

Love the way the announcer questions it haha. He's really fun. Probably won't use him in ranked though because of the YOLO counter strategy. Too risky.

Edit: I also matched up against EastGold and Adleheid in ranked on PC. Expectedly they beat me.

I don't know about that, I think yesterday I was the person with the worst Stream win ratio in top 5 and I was still above 50%, that was after my win ratio went down hill massivly after I had a stinker of a day.

S-kill is not hard at all. Stream is fucking hard mostly because of dropped inputs online. He requires a lot of really tight fast inputs because of the lag on his back jump being negated by his up jump. This lets him kick really fucking fast but doing kick dive kick consistantly in less than one second online is a bitch.

As someone who plays Stream quite a bit I have to agree with this. You need quick inputs and dropping them will result in you losing all your momentum and space when you're spacing because you'll fly back to the edge of the screen or will lose you a kill/lead to your death when you're going for your counter attack. For similar reasons he also sucks in laggy matches and I seem to get quite a few 60 ping matches where my opponents lag like crazy. Streams also the only character I've played why my inputs have flat up glitched out in a couple of matches and I've become defenseless.

Top Bottom