• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divekick |OT| My sneakers are ready

ScOULaris

Shit. I went like 1-5 against some Sensei player this morning before I left for work. Dat boi wuz gud.

I foresee Shoals being one of the most used characters in tournaments. Once someone gets the hang of her air specials, she controls space and has freedom of movement like nobody else in the game. The power of Ped Urino.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Played a couple of stinkers before work this morning. Might have to stick to unranked for a day or so and hone my skills. And start learning another character in more depth.

Still having a hard time learning how to effectively use Shoals' air-special effectively, easy enough to get into but I'm finding it tricker getting out and using it to great effect. Also can't decide which other character to focus on in case I feel the need to switch in ranked.

FluxWaveZ

So, what is the consensus? PS3 or PC version? 1 note; I won't be playing local multi-player.

They're both pretty much the same. The differences I noticed between both versions:

- More Dive players on PC; more Baz players on PSN.
- A lot of people with mics on on PC; usually a bad thing.

ScOULaris

So, what is the consensus? PS3 or PC version? 1 note; I won't be playing local multi-player.

Ok, cool. But there are a decent amount of players on both platforms though?

Not too much of a difference between the two from a graphical/performance perspective. Both have pretty active online right now, although the PC version might have the edge there. It seems like I find matches more rapidly on PC than PSN at the moment.

As someone already said, tons of PC players have mics and are doing Let's Plays or something right now. Be sure to mute them.

One advantage for the PC version is that they can more easily and quickly patch it than they can on PSN.

LakeEarth

Haha, had my first dropper. Divekick is serious business.

To note, the game gave me the win. THANK GOD! I hate it when a game considers it a wash.

WTF, the guy picked the "chaos" gem and the match started with a fraud detection warning. The game gave me the first 4 wins. The fuck? Is it supposed to be like that?

To note, the game gave me the win. THANK GOD! I hate it when a game considers it a wash.

Good to know, I had someone disconnecting too and it's good that Divekick considers that a win.

LakeEarth said:
WTF, the guy picked the "chaos" gem and the match started with a fraud detection warning. The game gave me the first 4 wins. The fuck? Is it supposed to be like that?

Yes. The yolo gem boost all his stats by 30%, but in return hands you four rounds from the start (which sets of the fraud alarm).

Dremark

Banned
I agree that Baz mirrors are kind of broken, and its high priority on my to-fix list.

Bigger lobbies / spectator are high on the list too, but the game needs to sell okay for us to be able to afford to support it. Here's hoping.

Please don't take this the wrong way but things like small lobbies/lack of spectators and broken match ups like Schoals vs Jefailey and Baz Mirrior are the types of things that prevent people int he main audience of the game from buying it at least from the types of complaints I've seen about other games.

Regardless I haven't had much time with the game due to my current work schedule but I am enjoying it quite a bit when I am able to sit down with it. Will be introducing some of my friends to it and see if I can get them into it so hopefully that will help you guys get some more well deserved cash for your efforts.

Dremark

Banned

Yeah I had a guy drop and I noticed it gave me the win, which I was happy to see. I think the guy had a legit disconnection but he was losing so I think it was justified. How does it work exactly? Does it give you the win on any disconnect or does it call it a wash if the winning player gets cut off?

BiggNife

So as some of you already know (if you read the Fighting Game Weekly thread, at least), I'm gonna be hosting an online GAF tournament for Divekick this weekend. One for PSN and one for Steam. You can feel free to enter both if you wish. Nothing is on the line except your pride.

If you want in, then quote this post (so I can see my own post highlighted as I scroll by) and mention if you're entering the PSN, Steam, or both tournaments. If you don't quote the post, then I don't enter you. Simple as that. I don't need your PSN/Steam usernames since I'm going to be using your GAF name in the brackets, but if you really want to include them, then you can.

I'm gonna make a separate thread for the tournament in the next few days just to keep things easier on myself. I'll explain more stuff there, like the rules and such.

Sorry to do this, but I think I'm going to back out of the Steam tournament. This weekend is going to be busier for me than I initially thought.

LakeEarth

Beating the game with the YOLO gem is quite annoying. Yo HAVE to kill S.Kill in the air because the risk of parry is too great.

Beating the game with the YOLO gem is quite annoying. Yo HAVE to kill S.Kill in the air because the risk of parry is too great.

If you want to cheese out the achievement, try Baz. The AI lets you build meter freely, and obviously can't do anything against kickfactor Baz. It will even kill S-Kill through his parry.

LakeEarth

Thanks for the advice, I was able to grind it out with Kick eventually. Some luck was required.

Very fun game FYI. I'm not sure if I take back my comments against having gimmicky characters and abilities, but it hasn't stopped me from loving the game.

Pink Mr. N for life (or until i get bored)!

robot

Kick is by far the funniest thing in the game. All of his Will Smith references are amazing. His stage music even sounds like the Bel Air theme.

HIIIIIIIIITCH!

Not too much of a difference between the two from a graphical/performance perspective. Both have pretty active online right now, although the PC version might have the edge there. It seems like I find matches more rapidly on PC than PSN at the moment.

As someone already said, tons of PC players have mics and are doing Let's Plays or something right now. Be sure to mute them.

One advantage for the PC version is that they can more easily and quickly patch it than they can on PSN.

Thank you for your reply

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I think 'Markman' is getting better and better once people figure out his matchups/angles. Sure he doesn't have the fastest kick in the game but he has a great kickback (just kick while on the ground) and has the ability to zone/build meter effectively.

He's definitely a thinking character and takes skill/knowledge to control the match. I don't think the random items hurt him as much as they help him. Just the fact that players have to watch out for the item puts him in control.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Some screenshots I took that make me happy...

598489_10151649078428883_550977539_n.jpg

1146450_10151649078273883_1623348425_n.jpg

1173711_10151649078703883_51236149_n.jpg

21420_10151649078923883_13787977_n.jpg

boosh5

Banned
Crap. I've been waiting all day at work to come home and buy Divekick. I get here and the Playstation store is down. It's like The Baz is telling me I'm not worthy.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I think 'Markman' is getting better and better once people figure out his matchups/angles. Sure he doesn't have the fastest kick in the game but he has a great kickback (just kick while on the ground) and has the ability to zone/build meter effectively.

He's definitely a thinking character and takes skill/knowledge to control the match. I don't think the random items hurt him as much as they help him. Just the fact that players have to watch out for the item puts him in control.

His air special is really really good, I've only seen one player use it right so far though.

Tan

I've been playing so much I almost completely wore out the right bumber on my 360 controller. Ugh.

and gg FluxWave.

FluxWaveZ

I've been playing so much I almost completely wore out the right bumber on my 360 controller. Ugh.

and gg FluxWave.

GG, even though I'm not sure who you were, heh.

Fell from 2nd S-Kill on Steam to 9th because of a few losses. Rank difference can make losses hurt.

Just played a couple of rounds of YOLO Kenny vs YOLO Kenny on matchmaking. My winrate took a hit (whatever, unranked) and now it says Kenny is my favorite character, but it was a lot of dumb fun.

nampad

Played some local MP on the Vita today with my nephew, we really enjoyed it.
The controls for MP should be customizable. The efault setup isn't optimal, but I understand why they had to pick a diagonal combination for the d-pad (can't hit both if they are on other sides).

Also I don't like their decision to only use two buttons for the menu. It's not intuitive. Hope they patch it for SP and local MP on a Vita.

kiyomi

Is it not possible to set custom controls on the Vita version? I thought it had saved my preference to L+R but apparently not, when I go into Versus. Is there a good reason not to let me use that configuration, is it bugged, or..?

Oh, just Versus.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
So today I beat EastGold and Adelheid in ranked! Though EG was a kenny mirror match so that's up in the air, and we matched again and he beat me. I picked kick that time, didn't realize it was him or I would have done kenny again. I chose Kung against Adels S-kill and just read her well I guess. :)

Has anyone successfully joined a public or private lobby?
I have joined a private lobby on steam.

Listening to the salt on the mic is great. Sometimes you can hear them hit their table or stick or whatever. 8^)

FluxWaveZ

So today I beat EastGold and Adelheid in ranked! Though EG was a kenny mirror match so that's up in the air, and we matched again and he beat me. I picked kick that time, didn't realize it was him or I would have done kenny again. I chose Kung against Adels S-kill and just read her well I guess. :)

Oh wow, you must be good. Those of a certain renown I've faced (Markman, Skisonic...) destroyed me.

superbank

Oh wow, you must be good. Those of a certain renown I've faced (Markman, Skisonic...) destroyed me.
Well, I tried the Kung strategy on another S-kill player and he frauded me so... And a kenny mirror is partly left to luck! Are MM and Ski on PSN?

edit: Also I do really stupid things. Please capitalize on them.

The only person of renown I've fought so far was Jeff Gerstmann.

It went 5-4 and I made some bad choices throughout that game, but he's really good, no doubt about that.

I played against a good Stream player for over an hour yesterday. At first I just tried different characters as usual (still haven't figured out the quirks of everyone) but he just beat me every time. Then I focused on Mr N until I beat him once, and then switched to Dive where I met him countless times (20-30 matches?).

We were very evenly matched for the most part once I learned his strategies and started finding weaknesses in them. I started watching his every little move looking for an opening instead of just fooling around and being on the offensive. No other fighting game has given me that experience to this date since I have a hard time getting past learning button combos, and for that I just can't not love Divekick!

Is it not possible to set custom controls on the Vita version? I thought it had saved my preference to L+R but apparently not, when I go into Versus. Is there a good reason not to let me use that configuration, is it bugged, or..?

Oh, just Versus.
Yeah, Versus is local versus, no computers allowed. But they didn't put in ad-hoc, so they make it so one person plays on each side of the Vita... an interesting idea, but not for this. lol

I was fighting AI S-kill with Stream, somehow after he parried and kicked, instead of losing we got a double KO. I wish I could've been fast enough to screenshot that.

superbank

Only notable person I fought was KingofBums and he frauded me lol :(
Oh man I so want to fight kingofbums. His jefailey tournament run was amazing.

I know Markman would beat me. I'm still falling for air feints. Ski and Jeff I dunno, they'd beat me too I bet. The pressure!

I played against a good Stream player for over an hour yesterday. At first I just tried different characters as usual (still haven't figured out the quirks of everyone) but he just beat me every time. Then I focused on Mr N until I beat him once, and then switched to Dive where I met him countless times (20-30 matches?).

We were very evenly matched for the most part once I learned his strategies and started finding weaknesses in them. I started watching his every little move looking for an opening instead of just fooling around and being on the offensive. No other fighting game has given me that experience to this date since I have a hard time getting past learning button combos, and for that I just can't not love Divekick!
Same for me. This is a side of fighting games I've never been able to enjoy, except in SSB. I would like to encounter a good Stream, no one I've played has figured him out. I should practice him so I don't get caught off guard.

Top Bottom