• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divekick |OT| My sneakers are ready

Kung Pao is difficult to play for me. Her divekick is both slow and shallow, which means that it takes her a relatively long to reach the ground and regain control again. She has no options to cancel out of her divekick either (like Markman or Dive), which means that it's generally easy to punish. Plus, her jump is so low that I think she always needs dive gem.

My basic strategy now is to get to the opponent's side and place a portal behind their starting position. Next round, immediately backdash to place the wall behind your opponent, so he can't backdash and destroy your portal. Whenever you have enough meter, start threatening to attack from either side, and go for the portal jump when you feel confident.

Bonus tip: if you don't have a portal set up, you can use the air special to change directions and punish people behind you. Example, Uncle Sensei does his horizontal jump, and you jump over it. If you were to just divekick, you would fly away from him. However, if you use the air special, you will fly away from him, go into a portal, and then immediately exit a portal right next to it flying towards Sensei and hopefully hitting him.

DMG-01

I'll second the disappointment over the lack of an arcade/practice mode. I love everything else about the game, but wish I had the opportunity to just mess around learning other characters and I don't have a second controller, so Versus isn't an option.

I'll second the disappointment over the lack of an arcade/practice mode. I love everything else about the game, but wish I had the opportunity to just mess around learning other characters and I don't have a second controller, so Versus isn't an option.

I guess I don't understand why Story mode isn't sufficient to mess around in? I played as Kenny for 2 hours to get a vague understanding of each character style.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
PS - Was Stream gimped for this final release version? He's terrible now. I seem to remember his kick being able to extend across more of the screen when I played as him at CEO a month or two ago.
Every single Stream who wasn't the one who won CEO was free as hell when I played them, so I dunno. At the time Kiets said they were just adjusting his flame hitboxes.

Akira_83

Banned
I guess I don't understand why Story mode isn't sufficient to mess around in? I played as Kenny for 2 hours to get a vague understanding of each character style.

because lets say im having a hard time fighting Baz's style right?

well lets look at almost any other fighting game, but ill pick SSF4AE

my Ryu sucks against Balrog, so i would start a practice match and just practice over and over watching his moves and style until i could beat him

and its fun

i want a mode like that

story mode forces you to move on to a different opponent after just 5 rounds, its not adjustable, etc

practice/training mode is like the backbone of any fighting game IMO

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Already got one mate playing, I just told him to look at it and he did, and immediately bought it. Also not a fighting game player, this just appeals to everyone.

galvatron

Mouthwash is meant to be a rinse.

http://www.ada.org/1319.aspx
Should I brush, floss or rinse first?

The sequence in which you brush, floss and rinse makes no difference as long as you do a thorough job and use quality products. Check the mouthrinse manufacturer’s label for recommendations on how and when to use the product, and look for products that have the ADA's Seal of Acceptance.

Not since tooth invaders have I thought about dental care when discussing a video game. Dat technology, indeed.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
There was one tip from Uncle Sensei I didn't get, I forget what it was but it was something with "heavenly" in it that didn't look all that there grammatically. I thought it was a reference to some meme I didn't get though.

Beckx

Think of it like an invincible and invisible double jump.

Thanks - after reading your posts I played more and now I get it. Really liking how S-kill plays.

----------

For people wanting CPU versus, let's see how Divekick sells and what IG's update plans are. If it sells well, hopefully they'll add things like this over time.

Kalamari

So, what gems do people prefer the most?

I play Marn, and I think the kick gem suits my strategy the best. I like to use his float move to punish my opponent's kicks.

ScOULaris

It's taking forever to find matches on Steam. Both ranked and player.

Well, it's the middle of the day, so most people are at work and the game has only been released in the US thus far.

That, and we have no idea how many copies the game has sold thus far. So you're diving into an almost empty pool at the moment.

Beckx

So, what gems do people prefer the most?

I play Marn, and I think the kick gem suits my strategy the best. I like to use his float move to punish my opponent's kicks.

Meter Gem so far with S.Kill, to fuel his parries, but need to experiment with the others.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
The MarkMan himself wrote a great guide somewhere in this thread, go back a page or two.

Join the Markman community!

9545395580_8391f4a28b_c.jpg

Here's my character strategy/info for that 'Markman' character!

Hello everyone. This may seem weird? But I'm MarkMan and I would like to share some information on the character 'Markman' in Divekick!

Markman has forward moving divekick arc, similar to Kung Pao. His kick startup is not instant and is a bit slower than most characters. Markman has tools to help makeup for his kick startup, including his ability to zone/create space with his items (which have random effects), and a just frame kick (EWGF - Electric Wind God Foot) that comes out almost instantly with an increased hitbox). He also has his kickback feint aerial skill that allows him to backdash in the air and create space/opportunity to bait out/punish if needed.

Markman's Ground Ability - Item Search

When on the ground, this meterless ability allows Markman to scavenge the surrounding area for items. The items serve as an advantage/hazard for BOTH players, so please be aware. The item generation is random and can consist of the following items:

• Part for the Kick Box (First you get the base, then the yellow button, then the blue button) - Once you have all 3, you will have 8 seconds in 'Precision Control Mode' that allows you to perform an upkick. The upkick, is just as it is stated an upward kick that can be used as a rushdown tool or an anti air. The possibilities of it's use are endless and Markman can continuously cancel his divekick into upkicks into divekicks and so forth (as long as he has meter). The more you use the upkick cancel the faster your Kickbox meter depletes. If Markman is headshot, hit, or double KO'd while in 'Precision Control Mode' then he loses any remaining meter in the next round
  • Glue - If Markman or his opponent step in the glue, they will be stuck there for about a second. Leaving them vulnerable and unable to dive.
  • Spring - If Markman or his opponent step into the spring it will cause them to be forced into an auto jump state where they will have to kick to get off the Spring. Some characters will be greatly disadvantaged if they step on the Spring, such as Redacted, who has too much gravity/not enough momentum to kick off and will be pretty much dead if they step square on the Spring.
  • Oil - The oil acts as a slip and slide and if Markman or his opponent step/land into the oil they are able to use the additional momentum to add to their jump arc and seemingly alter the trajectory of their dive prior to kick activation.
  • Black Hole - The black hole is placed on the ground and allows Markman or his opponent to travel through space by dropping through the endless ceiling and into the stage endlessly until they kick out.
  • Chemicals - The chemical green cloud forms after it hits the ground. Anyone touching this cloud will lose all meter gradually.

Items will disappear over time or instantly if another item is called out in it's place.

Markman's Air Ability - Feint

With enough meter, Markman can cancel a divekick into a backdash in the air anytime during the kick animation. This can be used to bait people out or to make moves safer/get out of the way. After the feint is performed, Markman can initiate another kick to gain forward ground momentum.

Markman's precision moves - Just Frames

Markman has two just frame moves. Just frames are moves that require frame specific timing/execution in order to pull them off successfully. Markman's two abilities are the EWGF (Electric Wind God Food) and backdash.
  • EWGF - Markman can perform a super fast divekick with an increased hitbox. You can tell it's an EWGF by the sound and visual lightning surrounding Markman's kick. This is performed at the apex of Markman's dive/jump. At the height of his jump, hit the kick button to perform this move. It can be done at varied heights and is useful for covering ground as well.

Made a video showing off the difference between Markman's divekick and his EWGF.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=97Kh6biwNSI
  • Backdash - Markman can perform a backdash as he lands from a normal dive. If you hit dive right before you land, Markman will perform a backstep to create more ground between him and the opponent.
If there are any questions/comments. Please let me know.

Here are some videos with my Markman gameplay and I encourage you to upload yours!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA3mFkW9jz4

9545397018_6b38313294_c.jpg

Dahbomb

People counter picking Jefailey by picking the Yolo gem and Shoals is the stupidest shit ever. Its like a 10-0 match up. Start match with big head Jefailey and get snowballed. This is Dahbomb #42 Jefailey on Steam talking shit to all those scumbag Shoal players out there.

Stream Monster is still the worst character in the game.

Keits

Developer
Could be your office Internet setup is better somehow. Try in different locations/with different routers if possible.

I tried at home, as did quite a few other developers. One was saying it took him a little longer to find matches, but he still found them. Everyone else was finding matches quickly and readily.

So if you hit the start button right before going back to searching for a match, it's there forever and you can't get out of it.

Time to try and replicate it!

If you do, please let us know.

Well, I finally got only 2 ranked matches this whole night but both were wins. And the 1st match I frauded a MarkMan and got 4 trophies. So at least this frustrating night ended on a high note.

I'm glad you finally found some matches. We are still investigating so hopefully if its something we can adjust, we'll find it and help you.

Baz vs Baz matchup is fucking retarded.

I totally agree, and when we do our first major adjustment patch, Baz is getting some big changes.

Desperately need a global mute for the PC version.

Agreed. We will try to add this ASAP.

Uncle Sensei dropped a Shenmue reference on me and it cut deep.

How about trying lucky hit?

practice/training mode is like the backbone of any fighting game IMO

I guess the problem here is that our AI is not very good at Divekick. You'd learn almost nothing about the real matchup playing against it. If our AI got better, I'd certainly push the team to include a mode like this, but for now its pretty pointless. I recommend you find a player who uses the character you want to practice against and set up a lobby together online and grind it out. :)

Beckx

People counter picking Jefailey by picking the Yolo gem and Shoals is the stupidest shit ever. Its like a 10-0 match up. Start match with big head Jefailey and get snowballed. This is Dahbomb #42 Jefailey on Steam talking shit to all those scumbag Shoal players out there.

Stream Monster is still the worst character in the game.

Wonder if, in part, it's driven by the trophies/achievements for winning with YOLO and getting True Domination.

--------

If Divekick ever adds a training mode, I hope they call it Combo Practice.

DigiMish

I really wish there was a training mode with infinite time so I can mess around with each character and get a sense for the angles, timing.

Hopefully in Super Divekick.

Jamie OD

It's funny how I think every person I played against online so far was streaming the game on Twitch. At least that's what I could tell from their headsets.

ScOULaris

Keits, were there any significant changes made to Stream between CEO and the final build? My memory might be failing me, but I don't remember having to press kick twice in the air to initiate his kick at CEO. I also seem to remember his kick traveling farther across the screen before.

He seems so weak now. From my experience, he's far and away the worse character in the game in his current state.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
I tried at home, as did quite a few other developers. One was saying it took him a little longer to find matches, but he still found them. Everyone else was finding matches quickly and readily.
Hmm. Is it possible there are different version of Vita out in the wild and that's the problem? I have no other ideas. Hopefully it's resolved soon so everyone can enjoy online. I'm impressed by how smooth it runs on PC. Sakurai take note.

If Divekick ever adds a training mode, I hope they call it Combo Practice.
Haha I second this.

Zornack

What does the CR number under my character's portrait mean?

Edit: And the #1 player on PC is a Kenny? What has the world come to.

Keits, were there any significant changes made to Stream between CEO and the final build? My memory might be failing me, but I don't remember having to press kick twice in the air to initiate his kick at CEO. I also seem to remember his kick traveling farther across the screen before.

He seems so weak now. From my experience, he's far and away the worse character in the game in his current state.

Can't comment on the distance, but I know for sure the double jump requirement has always been there.

I have friends spread out across the world but having to go back and adjust the GGPO delay each time suuuuuuuuuucks

GGPO games should all handle that like Skullgirls does :T

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I can't find any matches on Vita. I've been waiting for a total of 15 minutes over the course of the day. Only found one game. (Tried both unranked and ranked.)

Is the game supposed to be cross-platform play or is the Vita version not popular?

Just tried lobby but everyone has a 999ms ping according to the overview. :p

vocab

I've noticed this game activates my power saving options. Weird. I was playing dahbomb and my screen went black, and I didn't know what the hell it was, and then I saw that my monitor turned off against another friend. I'm gonna have to turn it off when playing this game.

Dahbomb

Wonder if, in part, it's driven by the trophies/achievements for winning with YOLO and getting True Domination.
Nah this is a legitimate strategy against Jefailey. I actually did it against another Jefailey just to see how well it works.. I got like 3 achievements for it "Choke Detected, YOLO and True Domination".

The only counter I have found to it is that the Jefailey player is also forced to play the YOLO gem. This allows him to at least escape the initial approach which is normally hard to get out of due to his humongous head.

And people have figured out how to beat Baz now which is good. He is still an annoying character to fight against. Just pick Shoal.

I can't find any matches on Vita. I've been waiting for a total of 15 minutes over the course of the day. Only found one game. (Tried both unranked and ranked.)

Is the game supposed to be cross-platform play or is the Vita version not popular?

Just tried lobby but everyone has a 999ms ping according to the overview. :p

Yes the game is cross-play. Keits said they're looking into these issues.

Nyoro SF

Nah this is a legitimate strategy against Jefailey. I actually did it against another Jefailey just to see how well it works.. I got like 3 achievements for it "Choke Detected, YOLO and True Domination".

The only counter I have found to it is that the Jefailey player is also forced to play the YOLO gem. This allows him to at least escape the initial approach which is normally hard to get out of due to his humongous head.

It could also be solved by having blind pick in ranked.... :/

ScOULaris

And people have figured out how to beat Baz now which is good. He is still an annoying character to fight against. Just pick Shoal.

Baz is free to Mr. N, from my experience so far. Being able to build meter quickly, jump high, and hover in the air makes it easy to avoid the lightning trails.

Dahbomb

Baz is free to Mr. N, from my experience so far. Being able to build meter quickly, jump high, and hover in the air makes it easy to avoid the lightning trails.
I like Shoals or even Kung Pao against Baz. Anyone with a floaty horizontal dive kick, u can dodge his lightning usually and easily hit him out of his attacks. I think I am like 9-1 Shoals vs Baz today. The Dive/Kick bros are good too against him.

And yea Ranked should be Blind picks too much counter picking going on. Yesterday I got to 300+ points on just counter picking, today I started playing my main Jefailey more and got down to 252 (including a few matches where scumbags picked YOLO gem Shoals against me).

JeTmAn81

I was not able to get any games in Ranked on the Vita yesterday, and only managed to find one person in a public lobby that I could play (he frauded me then immediately left). Almost every lobby had a ping of 999. Hopefully today is better.

DangerStepp

I played MP last night with a friend over Steam and really enjoyed myself.

It does a great job of capturing that edge of your seat moment you experience in other fighting games whenever it comes down to the wire.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the different characters and their specials, though.

Top Bottom